Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

was switched from ativan to xanax

[ha...]

I thought I might chime in here - nothing has helped me avoid the symptoms of w/d, esp the mental symptoms, which for me were/are BAD.

I have spent the past year working with a psychiatrist (very top) who is also a psychopharmacologist and is very well-read on neurobiological causes of disorders.

We tried a number of things while I was going off Lexapro Seroquel, and then benzos. I tried depakote - made me intially (1/2 hour) calmer, then anxious (both physical and mental). He told me that others of his patients (that means people he treats for mood disorders with it etc. ) find it "stimulating". He was not surprised, and believed me.

We tried lithium which I found very sedating and stimulating at the same time...so I tolerated it for 8 weeks. But, now that I look back, because the last 3 months I have done the benzo w/d with NOTHING, I see that many of the s/x I attributed to lithium, were in fact w/d symptoms.

At least it helped me sleep somewhat. But, maybe I could have done witout it, since this period of w/d with NO drug, is pretty much the same intensity as with the Lithium.

We tried propranolol for my heart palps I had for weeks and anxiety. Was ok, but even 5 mg made me near fainting with too low BP.

We tried buspar, for one day and it put me in severe depersonalization and anxiety for 6 hours.

We tried a very low dose of effexor. WAY overstimulated, paranoia.

We tried going up on the benzos to stop excessive w/d from the lexapro and Seroquel as I was only 4 months out. It made me WAY agitated and angry. I felt like I was going to lose my mind.

Lastly, I tried naltrexone (which is used for opiate and alcohol w/d) for the depersonalization i was experiencing which was uncomfortable., It had a good anti anxiety effect, but after a week, I was wake day and night and WAY overstimulated.

SOOOOO all these experiments ended in October. I decided to go the Benzo w/d route with nothing. The same s/x occurred as earlier when I was tapering, and I can say that nothing helped me. The Dr tends to agree with me. He only tried to "ease the most extreme of the symptoms.

The last time we spoke I said the only thing here that will work is time. He nodded in agreement.

Finally I remembered to last fall, when my awful psychiatrist added Klonopin in to my Seroquel and LExapro because I was still anxious....I tried cutting the Klonopin after sometime by 1/4. I figured that the Seroquel would take care of any w/d. Well I was wrong. I felt flu-y, and eyes burning, extreme anxiety. At the time, I wasn't sure about this being w/d.....but now having going through two patches, I am sure.

I did not do the benzo taper for a number a reasons, but I am sure if you do the prescribed taper, you can't be any worse off than me.

I have been going through hell for months, and there was hardly a day that passed where I panicked thinking I need to be on drugs, I need to ask my Dr for a drug to take this all away, this is a big mistake. etc. etc.  Only in the last few weeks, have I had small windows, where I can reassert my belief in what I am doing, and know that the drugs made me sicker than I ever was before I started.

Hope this was not too long, but I wanted to share my experience with the w/d. See my posts to read of all the details of the w/d I have experienced, and continue to experience.

Nuala

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [sw...]

• [ha...]

• [Th...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Im stillconcerned about withdrawals maybe going on from stopping the klonopin on jan 3 even tough i went back on the ativan 1 mg 4 times a day and the 1/2 klonopin in the am and pmhad to stop that last thursday the klonopin as it does not go with depakote and im tapering on the ativan as well..does anyone know if i may have withdrawals>>even though im on the ativan and depakote/

I found withdrawal to be your body adjusting. I assume the slower it adjusts, the less the withdrawal Sweetpea.

I think Nuala gave you a ton of great info. :thumbsup:

Hi Sweetpea:

Glad to hear the depakote is going ok for you. I only wanted to let you know of my experience. My dr was using the tried and conservative methods to assist with my w/d. He believed that the two medictions less likely to cause any problems and to assist with the w/d were depakote and lithium.

I am a very sensitive person, that is why I ended up on so many drugs over the years to counter side effects, even though I was told it was my anxiety...

Now, during the w/d I am extra sensitive (found even vitamins too much for me) so, even though I felt "stimulated" from a drug doesn't mean you will.

The depakote is considered a valid and reasonable drug to take to assist with w/d. I hope you have success with it. I wish I had been able to find something. But, my Dr did impress on me that nothing really helps to take it all the w/d away. I think that is what people are saying to you .

:)

Im to drop from 750 mg depakote to 500 mg tonight,im hoping im cutting back my benzo at a rate my dr thinks is good..but i dont want to rush it.

Pretty much the since thursday i have cut to between 2 1/2 to 3 ativan..the depakote must help but i feel like im barely breathing and low heart rate but afraid to check it!!

Don't play with your vitals like that....If you think your having a issue, at least go to the drugstore where they have a blood pressure checker machine.

By The Way, Good job so far! Start a progress log so I can watch you go to ZERO benzos :thumbsup:::):D:laugh:

I took my vitals and they were fine as a matter of fact my heart was kinda high 99..im kinda anxious this afternoon..must be noticing the cuts,,i guess i jusy weather it plus dropped the depakote to 500 mg last night see dr tommorow will tell him them i may not do as good today,I got new glassed last friday with prizms in the lens and i cant get used to them i feel so off in them but i know i have to wear them...im so scared i may have to go back up on ativan today  how do i do my signarure line again?

Is your body telling you to go up on the ativan, or you just telling yourself that? My body spoke to me with Benzo Fatigue. It felt like total weakness, tired/sleep deprivation, nausea, flu like symptoms with a bad case of insomnia. It was horrible :sick:. It was rough to sit through but the body stabilized in a couple days.

im so disappointed i was freaking so i took a half ativan no relief so i took teh other half now i have had 3 today..........i was foing so good wondering if it has something to do withdr dropping the depakote er one pill less? well i will tty again tommorwo im so scared as i dont know what to expect during this taper..i mean heart attack or what and im dizzy and i havent been being dizzy

Bouncing around on your doses is only going to further delay and complicate your taper. Please try to find and stick to a plan as much as possible. You've been going through this for far too long. You need to try to do something, theraphy or at home techniques to control your fears. If you allow it to continue your not going to be able to get anywhere with your taper.

Its ok sweetpea.  There is no failure at this. Maybe ask your doctor if you should stabilize on a consistent dose of depakote before you taper the ativan.

The only thing that concerns me is your fear of feeling any WD effects. WD symptoms do pass when you stabilize at your new level of medication.

Tomorrow is another day, plus you get to see your doctor. :thumbsup:

Yea and see paxtons concern to me and how i will neveer make it if i continue tkang my pills as i am.........thast how the dr said take them use as needed not on a regular bascics...this concerns me

So should i be taking my pills at a certain time even though my dr says as needed i have so many questions.......when i was first put on these meds back in 1990 i used as needed only..............and thats what the dr is saying now...........so how can i do a schedule.............i just wont go over the amount i have got down to adn i will stick to it for like a week adn then drop...so i failed today kinda like i sais i have been taking 2 1/2 to 3  aday since last thursday...is this the wrong way?

I'm sorry if I concern you. It is important to be able to control your fears and not jump right to a benzo to control them. Yo yoing doses on ativan, klono and everything else is only hurting. My intention is not to frighten you but to tell you that having and sticking to a plan is needed. How long have you been doing this for? You know what you have to do. You have the strength but you let your fear control you and you need to get it in check in order to have the best chance at success.

Do what you think is best. I'm just giving my view.

Im only on the ativan now 2 1/2 to 3 pills a day plus the depakote to help...dr says take ativan only as needed thats why im confused Im gonna do this ,this time..no more klonopin for me and i will get off the ativan.....this is how my dr said do it..

Wow sweetpea I'm so lost in your taper plans. I got mixed between ativan and klono. If that's your plan then I wish you all the luck. Do whatever you need to get off, that's all I want for you.

I hope this time will be the last time.

Me too,Im tapering off ativan Imtotally off the klonopin.....and the depakote is to help my taper off the ativan,,,oh to be drug free after 20  years!!!

Me too,Im tapering off ativan Imtotally off the klonopin.....and the depakote is to help my taper off the ativan,,,oh to be drug free after 20  years!!!

And you will be! It'll be all worth it in the end.

i was just reading someof the peoples storys on here and how they got off the benzos,so Im thinking maybe mine might be a bit different since im using the deapkaote...my dr still makes me confused by saying only take the ativan as needed,,,not how i was taking it 3 or 4 times a day.He says he has got lots of people  just like me off benzos,Imso hopeful but scared and confused,Have any of you heard of how he is having me do this.I have talked to pharmsists and they all say oh yes it will work and you could be off the pills in a few weeks but I wonder,i may not be that tuff to do it that fast,Im already afraid my dr will think I should have cut back more than I have but i think down from4 mgs to 2 1/2 to 3 mg in a week is good,Please anyimput would be great Im am so serious this time and Im finally in the right frame of mind,Thanks

kinda rough day,dr got my blood work back and said go back on 750 mg of depakote and to keep tapering off the klonopin as my body feels comfortable with it..he said with the depakote i wont need the ativan as much..so to cut as i feel comfortable