was switched from ativan to xanax

[ha...]

[b6...]

I am stopping the abilfiy tonight....it could be the culprit as to why my walking is slow motion and unsteady..praying i have no withdrawls fromstopping it.

sweetpea1960- I hope you have discussed this with your prescribing doctor and that the doctor agrees that you should stop (taper) and has given you a plan of discontinuation. This isn't a decision to be made on a whim, IMO.

Just Breathe

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [sw...]

• [ha...]

• [Th...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[b6...]

Yes i spoke with dr she said to ust stop it low dose she saidno need to taper...hoping she is right

sweetpea1960- Wish you the best then....if you have any problems, call you doctor :thumbsup:

Just Breathe

i was tapering off the 3 mg of ativan while going on the klonopinTaking 1 1/2 mg ativan and 1 mg klonopin 1/2 .5 mg pill about 3 times a dayof the klonopin....dr called in new script of klono and its 1 mg pills 2 1.2 to 3 pills a day............i m thinking maybe i could stop the ativan now and just do the klnopin.....dr is gone on vacation and i wont see her till jan 7th  but im wondering how much klono i should stabilize on without the ativan,,any ideas?

[b6...]

sweetpea1960-

If you have been on Klonopin for a week or more, IMO, you are good to stop the Ativan now as the Klonopin has built up in your system. I could not understand what dose you are taking now of Klonopin. The equivalency of 3mg's of Ativan is 1.5mg's Klonopin. How much Klonopin are you taking; it was hard to understand in your post. If I read correctly, you are taking 1mg 2 or three times a day, if that is correct, you are on double the amount of benzo's based on the potency's of Ativan to Klonopin. Maybe you could discuss this with your doctor on Jan 7th?

Just Breathe

I cut from 3 mg of ativan to about 1 1/2 mg while also taking .5 and 1/2  of klonopin...............my new klonopin script is for 1mg  pills and says take 2 1/2 to3 pills a day but i think that is too much..soi will have to break pills in half and the new pills are green in color,,,,,,,,,,,,i have never had 1 mg of klono in green..........strange

[b6...]

I cut from 3 mg of ativan to about 1 1/2 mg while also taking .5 and 1/2  of klonopin...............my new klonopin script is for 1mg  pills and says take 2 1/2 to3 pills a day but i think that is too much..soi will have to break pills in half and the new pills are green in color,,,,,,,,,,,,i have never had 1 mg of klono in green..........strange

Sweetpea1960-

The color of the pill can be different because of the manufacturer. I still do not understand how much you are taking. One thing agree with is that taking 2-3 mg's of Klonopin a day is alot since you were on Ativan at 3mg's and the equivalent dose to Klonopon is 1.5mg's....exactly, what are you taking in mg's daily and how do you dose? With that info, a taper plan can be figured out.

Just Breathe

[b6...]

Im going to try .5 mg of klono 3 times a day without any ativan.....will that be equivalint to waht i was on of the ativan?

sweetpea1960-

Yes, .5mg's x 3 a day = 1.5mg total daily dose of Klonopin is = to 3mg's Ativan :thumbsup:

Just Breathe

Now im freaking because i think im allergic to the green klonopins.................i always had only .5 aand they were yellow.............im scared to take them but i am.............how stupid am i today will be third day on them but my throat feels funny and so dry

I had some tingling in my lipslast night and got afraid ...no im not all that sensitive....its my anxiety i think because i was only on yellows ones before,its part of my sickness i guess i have been searching online for the colors in the 1 mg...since its green,,,,,im just scared..afraid i will be allergic to the green,i dont know much about the dyes in pills.

[b6...]

I had some tingling in my lipslast night and got afraid ...no im not all that sensitive....its my anxiety i think because i was only on yellows ones before,its part of my sickness i guess i have been searching online for the colors in the 1 mg...since its green,,,,,im just scared..afraid i will be allergic to the green,i dont know much about the dyes in pills.

sweetpea1960-

Call the pharmacist, they will be able to settle your mind about the color of the pill. IMO, it is just your body getting used to the Klonopin from the Ativan, yes both benzo's but have different effects...deep breath's okay?

JB :smitten:

Thank you I am so tired of these pills and I dont think i will ever get off them....they depresss me and i think i need one like every 5 hours,,,im tired all the time,,,,,,,,,,,,I just want off and i have tried for so long,,,,,,,,,nothing works and i have been on benzos 20 years so i guess i feel like i have to have them............i wont go into rehab.............so what can i do? i know other have had sucess but how do u get over the feeling that you have to take one or you will have a seizure or something.........i take them dailey and have for 20 years...........is there anyway i can get it thru my head i dont need it so often?

[b6...]

sweetpea1960-

You can get off of these. There are other that have been on them for many many years. If I were you, I would get stabilized on your dose for a week or two and then come the first of the year, start a slow taper of approx. 10% of your dose.

A new year and a fresh start seems like a good idea to me. Get stabilized at then post that you are ready for a taper plan and we will help you come up with something sensible and slow. You wont have a seizure....slow and steady and you will succeed.

Just Breathe

my script says take the klono 1/2 to 1 pill three times  aday..........but they r the 1mg pills.........so im taking half............i tooka whole one thogh at 10 am how long should that last?

[b6...]

my script says take the klono 1/2 to 1 pill three times  aday..........but they r the 1mg pills.........so im taking half............i tooka whole one thogh at 10 am how long should that last?

sweetpea1960-

Can I ask, what dose do you want to stabilze at? Is it 1.5mg of Klonopin which is the equivalent of 3mg's Ativan, your former benzo. If that is the case, you could dose:

1mg 10 am and .5mg 10 pm (every 12 hours)

OR

.5mg 7am .5mg 3pm .5mg 10pm (every 8 hours)

Is best to spread the doses out to keep the levels even. You do not want to take different amounts depending on the day. The point it to stabilize at a set dosing schedule and them taper. In the meantime, it is a good suggestion to start working on managing your anxiety....as one day, your taper will be done and is a good thing to have coping skills at the ready to help you along.

Just Breathe

The pharmisist told me today thatit doesnt matter how long i have been on benzos that I can taper off anytime....his schedule is cut back by 1/2 mg for a week and another half the next week and the last half for a week and then i can be off.............seems fast to me......he says im not on a very high dose of klonopin....what do u guys think?

[b6...]

The pharmisist told me today thatit doesnt matter how long i have been on benzos that I can taper off anytime....his schedule is cut back by 1/2 mg for a week and another half the next week and the last half for a week and then i can be off.............seems fast to me......he says im not on a very high dose of klonopin....what do u guys think?

sweetpea1960-

Honestly, I think your pharmacist is out of his mind....that taper plan is no better then a cold turkey.

1mg 10 am and .5mg 10 pm (every 12 hours)

OR

.5mg 7am .5mg 3pm .5mg 10pm (every 8 hours)

This is a dosing suggestion I gave you in the post before your last question. IMO, this is a good starting point. After you stabilize on this regimen, you can then start a slow taper of approx. 10% of your total dose. For example, after being on the above regimen for 2 weeks(I would opt for the second one with 3 doses every 8 hours), you would then dose:

.5mg 7 am .375mg 3pm .5mg 10 pm

Do this for 1-2 weeks and then make another cut, of the same amount from either the midday dose, am dose or pm dose. And, to get to the .375mg dose, you will need to 1/4 your .5mg pills, either with a pill cutter, knife or some use a straight raiser.

Hope this makes sense and that you will move forward, get stabilized and then start your taper.

Just Breathe

yes i plan on stabilizing,but im not understanding how much a cut u are saying..how much of a 1 mg pill(im only taking 1/2) would i cut up and use?How much is the .375 pill

[b6...]

yes i plan on stabilizing,but im not understanding how much a cut u are saying..how much of a 1 mg pill(im only taking 1/2) would i cut up and use?How much is the .375 pill

sweetpea- to get to .125mg(sorry, the previous post should have said that, my mistake I thought you had the .5mg's but see that you said you had 1mg's that you halved), you would need to cut your 1mg in half and then half again, which equals .25mg cut. It is over the 10% recommendation but is doable. Would be better to obtain the .5mg Klonopin which, when 1/4 can allow for a .125mg taper rate. If you call your doctor, do you think your doctor will script you .5mg Klonopin and you can turn in your 1mg and cancel the script with the pharmacy? Just another suggestion. Cutting the 1mg tabs can only go so far.

Just Breathe

[b6...]

I will ask my dr on the 13th when i see her...........but i think i can cut the half in half ok i have a pill splitter

Sounds like a good plan sweetpea...good luck. Let us know how the doctor appointment goes. In the meantime, get stable on your dose :thumbsup:

Just Breathe

• 2 weeks later...
Im a mess this klonopinhaas put me in a deepdepression and i dont see my dr till the 14th...........i cant do this anymore,,,,,,,,the ativan did not makeme depressed i dont know where to turn or what to do............thinking of going back on ativan till i see my dr but i have no iddea what will happn if i stop the klonopin and go on ativan,,,,,,,,,i dont even know how much im scared.nay ideas