was switched from ativan to xanax

[ha...]

called on call dr and he said go back on ativan till i can see my dr..........1/2 mg 4 times a day of ativan since i have been taking about 1/2 mg klonopopin  3 to 4 times a day........i was taking ust ha;f klonopin but earlyier this mornign i took  a wholw one 1 mg..........im still kinda confused,he also suggests a mood stabilizer..........im to call my dr this mornign,i should hav eknown the klonopin would make me this depressed it always has

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [sw...]

• [ha...]

• [Th...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sweetpea,

I'm sorry to hear the depression is so bad, I sure hope it'll abate a little when you switch back to the Ativan. 

I'm not sure what you're asking at the moment, are you looking for some suggestions about what dose to go back on?  I'm not very knowledgeable about that, the only thing I know is from the Ashton Manual which states .5 mg of Klonopin is equal to 1 mg of Ativan.  It looks to me like what your Dr suggested won't be enough to make a smooth crossover.

Pam

The dr said i might have to take more ativan than what he suggested..........but he didnt tell me how many hours to wait before i take one as i took  1 mg of klonopin this morning,,,,,,,,,,he just said wait awhile..........im so scared i know i wansnt doing the greatest on the ativan and i dont want withdrawals from stopping the klonopin.......and i know my dr is about ready to give up on me andmy hubby is so fristrated and i dont know what a mood stabilizer is and im just so scared

Your 1 mg dose this morning shouldn't be a problem, don't put that in your equation okay?  Just use Dr Ashtons equivalence and substitute the Ativan for the amount of Klonopin you've been taking.  Since you'll see your regular Dr soon, you shouldn't have to work this on your own for very long.  I would imagine a mood stabilizer is an antidepressant, many of us have used these, they're not a benzo, so try not to be afraid.

so u think after a few hours i could try a ativan? he never said i would need a taper off the klonopin and im a bit scard of that

I don't really know that much about tapering or crossing over to another benzo.  Why don't you try alternating your dosing schedule today.  Take the Klonopin and the Ativan, then tomorrow, reduce the Klonopin a bit and increase the Ativan.  Do it like Dr Ashton suggests for folks looking to crossover to Valium.  Use this link to see some examples of how she does it.  http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

I'm just winging it here, since I don't have any experience. 

[20...]

called on call dr and he said go back on ativan till i can see my dr..........1/2 mg 4 times a day of ativan since i have been taking about 1/2 mg klonopopin  3 to 4 times a day........i was taking ust ha;f klonopin but earlyier this mornign i took  a wholw one 1 mg..........im still kinda confused,he also suggests a mood stabilizer..........im to call my dr this mornign,i should hav eknown the klonopin would make me this depressed it always has

sweetpea-

Klonopin has a much longer half life then Ativan and is more potent, stronger and may not agree with you. It is possible to direct taper off of Ativan. Ativan is fast acting, IMO, you could replace the Klonopin with the Ativan. The Klonopin is in your system already and the Ativan will be felt more immediately. Just don't go over your previous dose amount of Ativan, will just be more to taper off of. If you took a 1mg Klonopin this morning, a .5mg Ativan 6-8 hours after should be okay. Try to get on a steady, regular dosing schedule with the Ativan and then see your doctor and tell him/her how you feel. Sometime's the crossover's don't work. If the Klonopin did not agree with you before, it probably wont again. You can stabilize on the Ativan and then taper; just pick one, stick with it and be ready for a slow and steady taper, okay? Flip flopping back and forth doesn't help...you can do this, you just need the right benzo and a good taper plan.

JB

Thanks i  took the 1 mg klonopin at about 7 am and i took 1/2 mg of ativan at 11 30 am............this dr says if i was on .5 klonopin  3 to 4 times a day then to take 1/2a 1 mg ativan 4 times a day..........does that sound right to u  im so confused and afraid of withdrawal from the klonopin...and i was so dizzy on ativan but maybe im making myself dizzy as i also walked and had to hold on to things on the klonopin and got so depressed and no sexdrvie and i was taking it .5 like every five hours(the klnopin)see my dr on the 14th but will all her tommorw imso scared and hubby is so frustrated with me...i will someday get off these drugs..........do u thinnk i will ave withdrawal

[20...]

Thanks i  took the 1 mg klonopin at about 7 am and i took 1/2 mg of ativan at 11 30 am............this dr says if i was on .5 klonopin  3 to 4 times a day then to take 1/2a 1 mg ativan 4 times a day..........does that sound right to u  im so confused and afraid of withdrawal from the klonopin...and i was so dizzy on ativan but maybe im making myself dizzy as i also walked and had to hold on to things on the klonopin and got so depressed and no sexdrvie and i was taking it .5 like every five hours(the klnopin)see my dr on the 14th but will all her tommorw imso scared and hubby is so frustrated with me...i will someday get off these drugs..........do u thinnk i will ave withdrawal

sweetpea-

1mg of Klonopin is = to 2mg's of Ativan/ .5mg Klon = 1mg Ativan..does help? If I remember correctly, you were on 3mg's Ativan and switched to 1.5mg's Klonopin, that would be a close equivalency. Will you have w/d from Ativan when you taper? Don't know...think the best thing to do is get stabilized on one benzo then start a slow and steady taper...no taper is without some withdrawal symptoms...doesn't mean we can't get off. The dizziness could be from anything, the meds, anxiety, inner ear infection...just have your doctor check it out, kay?

JB

but i was taking about 2 mg klonopin most of dec,now he says stop the klonpin and do 1/2 mg ativan 4 times a day  my question is is that equal,i cant think rigth

[20...]

but i was taking about 2 mg klonopin most of dec,now he says stop the klonpin and do 1/2 mg ativan 4 times a day  my question is is that equal,i cant think rigth

sweetpea-

No, it isn't equal; 2mg's of Klonopin is = to 4mg's of Ativan. I don't think your doctor wants you on that much as the doctor is prescribing you dose .5mg x 4 a day with Ativan.

I don't think you would have w/d crossing over from Ativan to Klonopin as the Klonopin is in your system for now. Maybe after a few days, you may feel the difference. Hard to say as we metabolize differently. If I were you, I would do what your doctor is telling you and try and stabilize at the doctor's suggested dose, you do have an appt. soon where you can discuss what to do next.

JB

In addition to that Klonopin to Ativan miscalculation I did see that someone quoted the Valium being 5 to 1 to Ativan.  I did see one site that quotes that but more sites put it at 10 to 1 including Dr. Ashton.  Makes a big difference.

but i was taking about 2 mg klonopin most of dec,now he says stop the klonpin and do 1/2 mg ativan 4 times a day  my question is is that equal,i cant think rigth

sweetpea-

No, it isn't equal; 2mg's of Klonopin is = to 4mg's of Ativan. I don't think your doctor wants you on that much as the doctor is prescribing you dose .5mg x 4 a day with Ativan.

Actually, these equivalencies are debatable and stating them as absolutes should be avoided. There are lots of differing opinions. For the purposes of tapering, some doctors [including Ashton] suggest this equivalency.  

a guy on med help toldme i should taper off the klonpin while adding thr ativan he said for 1 to 3 days take .5 klono in the morning anfternoon evening and 05 mg of at then at night the days 4 to 6 klonoopin morning ativan afternoon nad klonopin night and evening,,then for 3 days tale klonopin in the morning then ativan noon klon night and ativan evening,,,,,,,,then ativan morning noon nadnight and klonopin evening,,, last day just be on ativan.should i do that? or as my dr said no taper

i have been a nervous wreck all day just knowing im going to have withdrwals from stopping klonopin since it was a stronger dose than the ativan is.My dr told me to stay on klonopin even if it was depressing me and i told her i couldnt be depressed so she finally agreed to let me go back on ativan.........but we didnt talk about the ativan being less than the klono just that she said i wouldnt have withdrawaals

[20...]

i have been a nervous wreck all day just knowing im going to have withdrwals from stopping klonopin since it was a stronger dose than the ativan is.My dr told me to stay on klonopin even if it was depressing me and i told her i couldnt be depressed so she finally agreed to let me go back on ativan.........but we didnt talk about the ativan being less than the klono just that she said i wouldnt have withdrawaals

sweetpea-

Instead of worrying all day, why not put a call in to the doctor and discuss the issue about not feeling like you will be covered with the crossover due to the potency difference....can't hurt and is better then worrying and being a nervous wreck all day, right?

JB

wow i dont know if it sjust me but i feel like im losing it,,,,,,,,,,i did as oncall dr saida and took 1 whole ativan this morning i have got to quit stressing ver the thought of withdrawls from the klonopin//2 drs and i dont know how many pharmisist have told me with ativan and klonopin changing over like i did there would be no  trouble im not buyingit though

to find a new doctor and pharmacist. Until you do, here is an example of how I would manage this situation:

Days 1-5: Morning (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg), Afternoon (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg), Evening (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg), Night (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg).

Days 5-8: Morning (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg), Afternoon (Ativan 1 mg), Evening (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg), Night (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg).

Days 8-11: Morning (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg), Afternoon (Ativan 1 mg), Evening (Ativan 1 mg), Night (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg)

Days 11-14: Morning (Ativan 1 mg), Afternoon (Ativan 1 mg), Evening (Ativan 1 mg), Night (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg)

Day 14: Ativan, 1 mg, four times daily

You will have no withdrawal. If any of the above isn't crystal clear, let me know.

Good luck,

Ryan

Look at the above this is from some guyon medhelp forum that gives advice,,,,,,,,i wrote about im feeling withdrawal from the klonopin after stopping it on sunday and going back on ativan,,,,,,,feeling chills cant sleep and so anxious,my dr dropped me so im winging all this,,,the pahrmisit said to try a .5mg klonopin in between doses of ativan to i get a new dr.......to me this ryans way sounds dangerous as u are taking the klonopin and ativan at the same time..........i see a pshycolgist tommorow maybe they can help me know what to do,,,,,,,,i have to find a new pshyschssrtist..what do u all think

oh my gosh i just read online where brittnay murphy died of taking klonopin and ativan and a pshychtrisrts was saying those two meds should never be used together and here i am,.....i needed a taper of the klonopin onto the ativan and i didnt cause dr said i dindt need too and im havign withdrawsls and now the pahrmacy says add some klonopin back in to help fight off the withdrawals...hope im still here tommorw

[20...]

oh my gosh i just read online where brittnay murphy died of taking klonopin and ativan and a pshychtrisrts was saying those two meds should never be used together and here i am,.....i needed a taper of the klonopin onto the ativan and i didnt cause dr said i dindt need too and im havign withdrawsls and now the pahrmacy says add some klonopin back in to help fight off the withdrawals...hope im still here tommorw

sweetpea-

Brittany Murphy had other health issues...you are not her, you don't have her health probelms and I don't think that Ativan & Klonopin killed her....okay? There were other things going on. You need to relax. You are not going to stay on both, you are just going to be using them in combination until you stabilize on the one.

Your biggest problem is trying to crossover without withdrawal....you know, there is going to be some discomfort b/c the benzo's are different, they feel different. IMO, you are trying to avoid the unavoidable and making yourself anxious by worrying.

Ryan gave you a good format for crossing over, IMO, the Klon amount is small(.25mg) see below quoted:

to find a new doctor and pharmacist. Until you do, here is an example of how I would manage this situation:

Days 1-5: Morning (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg), Afternoon (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg), Evening (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg), Night (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg).

Days 5-8: Morning (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg), Afternoon (Ativan 1 mg), Evening (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg), Night (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg).

Days 8-11: Morning (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg), Afternoon (Ativan 1 mg), Evening (Ativan 1 mg), Night (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg)

Days 11-14: Morning (Ativan 1 mg), Afternoon (Ativan 1 mg), Evening (Ativan 1 mg), Night (Klonopin 0.25 mg, Ativan 0.5 mg)

Day 14: Ativan, 1 mg, four times daily

You will have no withdrawal. If any of the above isn't crystal clear, let me know.

Good luck,

Ryan

Good thing you have an appt. with a doctor tomorow :thumbsup: and please, for your sanity, stop reading things online. You need to make up your mind and stick to one thing...and stop worrying so much.

Just Breathe

But see i stopped the klonopin on sunday and the bad feels didnt hit me really till yesterday and i alreeady had gone on the higher dose of ativan per dr.......so im worried about stepping back in the klonopin.My pharmist said to take the 4 mgs of ativan a day but add in .5 klonopin in the am and in the evenning....with ryans way its taking both pills at the same time which i have always heard you should wait a few hours before taking then if doing both meds....do u think the pharmisits way is ok and im not seeing a dr im seeinga pshycolgist