Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

The Klonopin Klub

[re...]

Hello Lung,

Sounds like we are at about the same dose.  I just gave up on my nurse practitioner and began to lower the dosage according to what my body could take and self regulated from there.  I've been doing .125 for about three weeks now, and I have had some brain fog, tiredness, and just a general feeling of anxiety. 

My biggest fear in doing this was that I would have to go to meetings with the brain fog, and a big "DUHHHHH" would come out of my mouth.  I have been surprised, though, that the benefits of not being on klonopin have started as soon as I began to taper, so it was like a double edge sword. 

I also take Kava Kava for anxiety, melatonin to help me sleep.

• Replies 31.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [ca...]

• [NY...]

• [In...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi adam,

One thing I found during my tapering is that there are some second and third order effects--that is to say, the drops in doses 'stack' a little bit until they've had time to clear (effectively a very long decay time).  So you may find you need to slow down after a bit, or just stay where you are until you feel OK proceeding.

I wonder if I could handle these very small changes, even if it took a few years, if I could do most of my taper that way.  They're not fun but I seem to recover from them (aside from effects of still being on the med but having tapered a lot, but those are pretty minimal with no alcohol, caffeine, tobacco, what have you...)

Welcome lungmagician - as usual, glad you found us but sad you're here. 

I think it's important to note that the amount of time you hold between cuts is just as important as how much you cut.  I read this somewhere in the beginning of my taper and found it very helpful.  For me, my hold time was two weeks.  I could make pretty big cuts with manageable sxs as long as I held for two weeks.  Whereas it was too difficult even making small cuts only holding for a week - like you said, lung - the cuts seemed to stack up.  This is just an example.  EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT!  Find your comfort zone and you'll do just fine.

Thank you all so much to the K Klubbers who have helped me along the way.  Rekroywren, I can't express how much your advice and encouragement has meant to me.

I feel really good today!  My heads a little foggy, but I have energy, my mood is good, the aches and pains are significantly better.  I have some time before the final cut hits me, but I'm very optimistic for a relatively quick recovery.  A long, gradual taper helped me immeasurably.

I'm definitely thinking to stay reasonably functional my taper is going to be pretty slow.  I'm even starting to like the idea of doing a taper using milk.

hi, Klub, I'm finally getting around today.  After a good 5 days at new cut, woke up w/ horrible cramping...laid in bed till noon.  Feel tired but pain is gone.  Trying to think of something good to eat that would go down easy... maybe some fruit.  Things were going so well I thought I might cut again after 10 days.... decided I'd  better not do anything rash and just do the  whle 14 dys.  Good news, no recognizable d/p, d/r w/ this cut.  Some things are getting better.... I like feeling more sane even if the tiredness is depression.. its preferable to those odd, wrong page days.  Be good to yourselves.  Njoy

Njoy you are in my prayers Take it slow........ Be good to yourself You have done great Hang in there

Imsaved

Cold turkey off Klonipin 2mg three times a day

A month later found a Dr to listen and started me all over on Klonipin (2mg three times a day)

Since I had been without it anyway started out on 3mg a day (1mg three times a day)

First taper to 2.5 mg a day Couldn't handle it (1mg twice a day 1/2mg once a day)

Went up to 2 and 3/4 pill a day ( 1mg twice a day 3/4 mg once a day)

Down to 2 and 1/2 pill again Please pray ( 1mg twice a day and 1/2 once a day)

Hi Everyone,

Thought id post update. Today is starting 4 month off and symptoms have intensified. All that has truly left is muscle jerks and head ache. The crazy all over body pressure is extreme and now pushes my body around when I'm standing like I'm in a boat. The D/R is thicker as is the disorientation and head pressure keeping me feeling like im locked in a fish bowl looking out at the world.

I feel like I am losing perspective, the days run together into a lot of nothing, I so thought something would have lifted by now.

Hey Hopeful,

I completely understand - I still had awful muscle jerks at 4 months out, as well as everything you've described. This is also something I can relate to very well -

The D/R is thicker as is the disorientation and head pressure keeping me feeling like im locked in a fish bowl looking out at the world.

I understand that so much - I actually had no idea it was D/R & D/P - to me, it didn't have a name, except that I was an "observer" of life and not a participant. I felt that I was squeezed into a tiny fetal position - every day I tried to relax and picture "windows" where my legs were free, arms, etc. It helped.

Hope this helps a bit...

this boxed in feeling is very commonly observed among paralyzed individuals.  It took me awhile to recognize the d/p, d/r for what they really are... I have to be around someone else to really see it for what it is.  Strange, but doable as long as I dont take myself too seriously.  Getting close to moving day, Jax, lots of stress associated w/ it.  Remember to keep breathing.  Hopeful when my days of nothing start running together I think about how I'm still that much closer to benzo freedom... we may still have dues to pay when the drug is gone but I have every hope that the more intense sx will pass in time... you've learned to be patient, you've learned to endure... just keep doing it and remember to stay inthe moment.  :angel: :angel: :angel::smitten: :smitten: :smitten:to all.  Njoy

Thanks janx and Njoy,

Njoy, actuall, I am already benzo free as of 4-4, that is why I am frustrated, really thought id be better in some way by now. Yes, i really didn't know what the D/R was either until I read about it. I try to think of it as the protective brain mechanismthat I know will leave.

Janx, see you've been off over a year,, when did the D/R leave for you. How are you now? Functioning normal? I can hardly move today. Still in my PJ's at 12, so much pressure, jittery, exhausted.

The DAY I cut back my klon, about one month ago, was the day I started getting hand tremors. They're not as bad now but still very much there. Is it possible they'll be present during this whole titration? Which could take a while

LGB:  that was a hefty cut, my guess is you cut too much too fast.  Slow it down... 10% every 10 - 14 days works quite well, not sx free, but I haven't had tremors... which Idid when I tried to c/t.  Things are far more manageable since I decided to take it slow and steady.

Hi Hopeful-One,

I am sorry you are having such a hard time. Just because you feel bad now, doesnt mean you will tomorrow! I dont want to be nit-picky, but maybe this minor correction will help your perspective? If you jumped 4/4 arent you less than 3 months out? My math skills arent that great right now so I wouldnt be surprised if I was wrong, but I know sometimes these numbers take on more significance than they should. If you think of it as less than 3 months does that make it easier? Also, your taper was relatively fast, so give yourself some credit for how far you have come and know that things will get better.

Letsgobirds- how are you doing with staying away from ativan?

Njoy- do you need to update your sig? You mentioned a cut but I dont think it changed. Are you getting close to the end?  ;D

Curious to know how our recent jumpers are doing- mogeii, morechocolate, deinoncote, Hopeful2013... I think that was it.

As for me- I felt real joy yesterday. Just briefly, but it was there. It made me wonder if we need to practice positive emotions so that we can get better at feeling them again? Smile for a minute even if you dont feel like it. Watch a silly cat video. Touch something silky soft. Remind our brains what it feels like to feel good. Valium has been a great transition in terms of squashing my anxiety but everything else has been squashed along with it.

JKS, yes, I did taper fast and am realizing that just recently. I say 3 months off because if you count the weeks from 4-4 it was 12 weeks this past wed. Should I be saying 7-4 is the beginning of month 4?

Thanks for the encouragement, love this group.

JKS:  Yes, I need to change that.  I'm down to .066 K.  Its looking doable if things don't uptick after I jump.  Still dry cutting 10% of my current dose every 10-14 days.  And, yes, staying positive can be so helpful.  I meditate, so staying in the moment is something that has served me well.  I listen to music a lot and that helps... today I was a little OCD w/ Richard T'hompson's "Vincent Black Lightning 1952."  I just rode on his guitar work and I like the drone he puts to the vocals.  Soothing ballad..sad, but the story kept my brain engaged. Ive got another head ache. :-\

Hi K Klub,

I so hope all of you are able to find some joyful moments during your struggles. As always, you are all in my thoughts and prayers every day.

I haven't jumped yet. I will on July 1st, just 2 more days of tapering. As I've posted before, getting rid of this last 1/4 of the K has been more difficult yet doable. When things get tough I use distraction to get thru it. Some things that work for me are:

getting outside for awhile, maybe pulling a few weeds or feeding the birds, going for a walk. My most favorite thing especially when feeling anx. or depressed is cranking up the stereo and singing my favorite music at the top of my lungs.

Seems like most days I wake up not feeling like doing anything, but I make myself.

I hope all of you will try to do what you can to distract from the crappy feelings. I remember in January feeling like I couldn't wait for my daughter to take my granddaughter and go home when ever they would come to visit. And then I would feel so guilty for those feelings afterward. I just couldn't handle the extra noise and activity. I don't feel that way anymore and am so thankful to be able to cuddle up with my granddaughter and watch a movie or play with her (she's 3). Things get better!!!

It seems like it takes so long but it does happen.

Stay encouraged, you'll make it. We all will together.

Sending my love,

hopeful2013

Hey K club Hope all is well and having bunch of clear sx free days  Hopeful I'm so happy for you  :yippee:  Thanks for the advice on what may help us It helps me to be reminded that we can and do make it So happy to hear that about your grand daughter Wow I know that feels really great to enjoy her visits again! I know how you felt tho Going thru that right now Any company or noise bothers me alot where I'm at right now I'm also having tingling in my ft Did u or anyone have that? If so what can u do for it I also am having awful nausea Does anyone have that?  I have really bad pains in my head and awful h/a's  Boy I'm going thru a bunch of awful stuff Trying my best to get off this stuff tho Prayers appreciated and any advice also appreciated.... Thanks guys you are the best

Imsaved

A month later found a Dr to listen and started me all over on Klonipin (2mg three times a day)

Since I had been without it anyway started out on 3mg a day (1mg three times a day)

First taper to 2.5 mg a day Couldn't handle it (1mg twice a day 1/2mg once a day)

Proud to say that now that I'm taking my K on a daily basis with the purpose of tapering off till becoming benzo-free (the original prescription was take as needed), I'm no longer experiencing my interdose SXs. For the longest time I felt like I was living in a dream. Nothing felt real or right to me. I was constantly paranoid due to derealization/depersonalization. Now that those symptoms are gone, I feel great! I'm taking my first baby steps in the tapering process. Cut my pill to 0.9 mg last night. Still feeling great. Hope this persists! Hope everyone else is having a great day :)

Hi Imsaved, I have the tingling, buzzing feeling not just on my feet but literaly everywhere on my body, have had it for mos. The only thing that seems to take away the sensation of it is when I take a bath or walk around. It doesnt go away, it just isnt as noticeable then.

I have not struggled with naseau or any GI issues at all, I don't know why other than the fact that I take a good quality probiotic, have you tried that?

Good luck on your taper, I tapered clonazepam as week, it can be tough! I will say a prayer for you  right now :thumbsup:

Hi K Klub,

Wishing you all some peace today. My day started well but now I have one of my killer headaches. I took 1/2 of a norco (hydrocodone). My doc refills 15 tabs every 2 months so I must use them only when it's BAD. Nausea is picking up. I have an r/x for ondansetron for nausea that my doc gave me back in January. I never took it then because at that time my anx. was extreme and I was just too afraid to take anything other than the K. But she said it was safe ( they give it to PG women for morning sickness ). I will take it if I need to now that I'm not paranoid.

Imsaved: thank you for your kind words. As you can see we have similar sx. This to shall pass, lol. It did before.

dreamstate: welcome and good luck with your taper. My best advise is go slow.

Symptoms come and go... get better get worse... some day they will all go away. You are all in my prayers,

hopeful2013

Hopeful one you make a good point about the weeks vs months counting. I dont know how to count it!

I just know that when I start feeling bad about how far I have to go I try to turn it around and think about how far I have come in terms of what I have learned about benzos and anxiety and life itself. Never going back to where I started. 

Wishing you peace.

Njoy- you are so close! I know you can do it :)

I've been all about the music lately... It really can help.

:)  You guys are the best Dreamstate, Hopefulone, Hopeful2, and JKS you guys don't know what your post do for me It is great to have friends-buddie's like you guys!!!!!  JKS I to  try and look to far ahead sometimes This isn't good I know but I just want off this stuff so bad and I want to be sx free But I got to learn to stop pushing it because it does make me more anxious. I also worry about if I get there and there are still awful sx A dog chasing it's tail sort of speak is how I feel sometimes I will try some music

Hopeful2 I will most def ask my Dr about that and see if she would give me that nausea meds I am afraid almost to take anything else but I will ask if it would be safe for me too Thanks for your input So sorry you have a h/a Yes we do have the same sx  Hope you feel better sooner than later

Hopefulone I will try walking with this tingling It seems to going in dif places now I will also take the baths I usually shower but it does sound soothing to be in a bubble bath Thanks again

Dreamstate Congratulations Hope your taper continues to go well It's always great to know Folks do make it Yay so proud of you

Thanks again to all you guys You all are in my thoughts and prayers I pray you all have wonderful days ahead without sx

Imsaved

Down to 2 pills a day ( 1mg twice a day)

Hey everyone, I am looking for some support.  I have been tapering K and I am down to .50mg.  Im kindled in the worst way so my sxs are always present.  As I have gotten lower, the headaches and the vertigo have gotten worse.  I have been having terrible waves but I had a pretty decent window last Sunday. 

I guess Im looking for some information about how things were for others as they got lower in their dose.

Thank you,

GG

Godsgrace, I've noticed that I seem to have more control over my physical sx (except headaches) and am more aware of mental sx...anx. d/r,d/p.  On the whole, I can see marked improvement except in social situations, although, I am getting out again and i do get discouraged about how long its taking.  But alot is getting better.  Some days more than others but I can see a trend to the good. MY headaches arent worse... in fact, I'maable to ontrol them a little better  but they are more frequent.

Thank you Njoy for the response and reassurance.  I keep hearing this little voice telling me that the waves may be stronger but that the windows will come as I get lower.

I really appreciate your experience.

GG

[c7...]