The Klonopin Klub

[re...]

dreamstate1991,

Welcome to the Klub!

My doctors didn't even know what Ashton manual is or who Ashton is. I was thinking about that switch to Valium myself before but too much hassle to educate doctors myself  :laugh:

And I just direct taper from K 0.125mg/month.

withdrawal process haven't been easy but luckily there is good days too. Kinda keeps me going.

As for coping mechanisms.. I just try to meditate sometimes and try to get used to the withdrawal symptoms.. thought they change alot  ??? . There are many good "guided meditations" in youtube.

sorry for not being much help, maybe some wiser person here can be more helpful :)

HPC

• Replies 31.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [ca...]

• [NY...]

• [In...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dreamstate1991,

Welcome to the Klub!

My doctors didn't even know what Ashton manual is or who Ashton is. I was thinking about that switch to Valium myself before but too much hassle to educate doctors myself  :laugh:

And I just direct taper from K 0.125mg/month.

withdrawal process haven't been easy but luckily there is good days too. Kinda keeps me going.

As for coping mechanisms.. I just try to meditate sometimes and try to get used to the withdrawal symptoms.. thought they change alot  ??? . There are many good "guided meditations" in youtube.

sorry for not being much help, maybe some wiser person here can be more helpful :)

HPC

Thanks so much for the input! My current schedule is 0.1 mg/2 weeks--we'll see how it goes. And you're right, the symptoms do change a lot. I originally started taking K for anxiety issues, when I used to stop taking it I would have more anxiety in return. Eventually, I learned to naturally fight the anxiety--so now my new symptoms are the depersonalization and the derealization. I'll look into those guided meditations! I fought off my anxiety by staying active. These new symptoms are currently ones that I have little skill nor knowledge to overcome, so I'll give anything a shot  ;D

-DS

How would one dry cut taper off kpin? Im 3 weeks deep into my resinstatement and scared since i know i need to get off this nasty  drug sooner  than later.  How did ur dr suggest  ur taper?? Im in the klonopin klub, 2nd time around,  but way less than before,  see my signature.  Thanks!!

welcome dreamstate, I have a number of ways of combating a number of sx but the best thing I've found for the d/p and d/r is don't beat yourself up about it... don't succumb to thinking its going to be forever and try to avoid socializing while its really pronounced. Then, just hold on tight. Definitely a joyful day today.  Not so much last night

How would one dry cut taper off kpin? Im 3 weeks deep into my resinstatement and scared since i know i need to get off this nasty  drug sooner  than later.  How did ur dr suggest  ur taper?? Im in the klonopin klub, 2nd time around,  but way less than before,  see my signature.  Thanks!!

Summermeadow tapered dry-cutting from klonopin.  If you can find some of her posts, she describes, in detail, how she did it.  It seems pretty reasonable to me.  You can go to the "members" section and search her screen name, and find her posts.  You might have to scroll through a few of her posts, but you should be able to find them relatively easy.  When she got down to the lower levels, she crushed pills into powder form.  I did this the other day (with clonazepam) and it works very well.

I found it.  Here's the link.  Go to post # 6  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=3032

Best of luck to you.  :smitten:

Julie, I'm dry cutting K.  I use a gemini scale...available at Amazon.  Its been going well.  I've had some bad days here and there but on the whole I'm doing much better as I get more of the dg out of my system.

Julie, I'm dry cutting K.  I use a gemini scale...available at Amazon.  Its been going well.  I've had some bad days here and there but on the whole I'm doing much better as I get more of the dg out of my system.

I thought about getting a scale, but not sure I'm smart enough to figure it out.  :laugh:

Seriously, though, I just plain don't know how to do it with a scale.

Does the Melatonin help?  Do you use it every night?

Glad things are going well for you.  :)

DG:  yes the Melatonin really helps.  i don't know what I would do w/o it.  The scale comes w/ directions on how to calibrate it... perhaps a a friend could help. Once I got my initial dosing down... I've only had to cut 10% every 10 - 14 days depending on sx.  Its easy to just trim the pieces up to the right weight.  I have little con..tainers I put them in  i have to do doses ahead because some days I' m just too out of it to do it... but the process has been working pretty well. 

Njoy where do you get one of these scales because I would like to have a more accurate dose other that just trying to cut the pills in to 1/4ths and with the scale does it explain the % of how much say 10% is? Thanks for the help

Imsaved

Cold turkey off Klonipin 2mg three times a day

A month later found a Dr to listen and started me all over on Klonipin (2mg three times a day)

Since I had been without it anyway started out on 3mg a day (1mg three times a day)

First taper to 2.5 mg a day Couldn't handle it (1mg twice a day 1/2mg once a day)

Went up to 2 and 3/4 pill a day ( 1mg twice a day 3/4 mg once a day)

Down to 2 and 1/2 pill again Please pray ( 1mg twice a day and 1/2 once a day)

I bought the scale too week ago.

It's  American Weigh Gemini-20 Portable Milligram Scale, 20 by 0.001 G

It's like 20$ from amazon.

Can't wait to get it. There are even videos on youtube how to calibrate that thing.

HPC

Wow HPC Thanks Sounds like that's what I need....... I will keep an eye out for me one

Imsaved

A month later found a Dr to listen and started me all over on Klonipin (2mg three times a day)

Since I had been without it anyway started out on 3mg a day (1mg three times a day)

First taper to 2.5 mg a day Couldn't handle it (1mg twice a day 1/2mg once a day)

Hiya Klub,

Just jumping in on a beautiful Jersey Sunday morning, waiting for my husband to get up, so we can pack like madpeople for our move this Friday. Welcome newbies! You're in the right place.

Hey hey hey, Chickie! So, you're "stoned"?  :laugh: No seriously - that sucks.  :(

Njoy - LOVE seeing you so positive, you sage  :smitten:

JKS, YES - I thought so much about writing my Success Story! I really put a lot of work into it. Interestingly, I didn't check in on Month 13, not sure why.  :-\

Go SkyZ, go SkyZ...your patience with yourself is fantastic - I remember you so frustrated last September, you sound like completely a different person. :yippee:

HPC, you will absolutely feel spectacular by 30, I promise! - I was in a benzo-induced haze from ages 22-41, jumping 10 days before my 42nd birthday, and now at 43 - life is awesome.

A lot of you ask me how long it took before ALL my sxs subsided. Hard to say. I think that probably, with the insomnia the last to go, 6 or 7 months? Although stuff came back under extreme stress, like when my brother was diagnosed with cancer in early May - but that might be just stress talking. At 9 1/2 months, I started yoga 3-4 times a week and I can't tell you all enough how that has helped (right Njoy?). The yoga has knocked the stress right out of me and continues to do it.

So, a little new evidence about my benzo use has emerged while I was going through my papers getting ready to move. Sounds a little rudimentary, but before the Internet, paper communication and actual files were kept - and I have copies of everything (no such thing as a hard copy, everything was a hard copy). What happened was - after true PTSD at the age of 20 (1990) and getting over a virus, the left side of my head felt very cloudy and I had headaches. Get this - I was prescribed Xanax for the headaches! Crazy, right? Then I saw my usage creep up and up...and then I actually stopped for a while. I think. Maybe in 1993? But living in Los Angeles in 1993-1995 brought with it the Northridge Earthquake of 6.8 magnitude, and I went back on benzos after that, almost recreationally. I think my usage really jumped up in 1995, when I lived in the Midwest, with Hip Replacement #1. And ex-husband #1, who was a s**t.

Papers and poetry of mine that I'm finding from before benzo use can only be described as beautiful. Then chronologically, documentation of my demise into insanity. Needless to say, it was very difficult to read, and I ended up chucking everything from 2000-2011. I kept the 1990s, though  :)

My search for religious teaching work is going well! I have a Sunday/Tuesday commitment from a top-notch (but low-paying) school - the Principal and I went to school together in Los Angeles back in the early 1990s - she's younger than me, lol. She is a spectacular and accomplished woman, nationally renowned and an author of children's books. So although the school is the lowest-funded on the totem pole, it's just a great opportunity to work with her. She's also very warm. I'm really looking forward to working with her. I've got 3 other schools looking at me for Wednesday (awesome pay), 2 for Thursday, one for Saturday - 3 interviews tomorrow. Looks good for getting back into my first career, the one I was trained for, go figure.

ANY way - I hope you all have windowful, wonderful days!

jaxy  8)

I have to stay positive, Jaxy.  Its too hot and even I'm tired of my whining.  Yes, yoga has been the nicest surprize.I got my new(er) car on the road... need to get a tow package so I can trailer the boats.  I'm really yearning to get out on the water... have been hankering for a swim lately.  So good to be hankering for anything.  My new cut has been free of any dramatic sx so far but I'll know more by Tuesday.  Feels good to feel good. :):smitten: Njoy

I am gonna fill you all in tonight on my last 2 days that were beyond a window good. They were normal happiness. But for now I have a question. A wave has taken over today but a new symptom ive never had before has shown up. Has anyone had the feeling that their central nervous system- base of their head/neck area and down their spine and just all over their muscles- are just firing off pain receptors? I woke up with bad leg pain, now its my arms and my neck. It feels electric and is quite bad. I even had a brief moment of panic because it felt like my spine was tensing up like ive never felt before. Just curious if thats one anyone else has had.

Hey all,

Mogeii, the last bad wave I had was like that.. My neck,head,back etc hurted just like "electric pain" type of feeling. And yes it caused moments of panic for sure.

Now I had 2day window.. but it broke last night. I went to sleep and I usually sleep on my back and as soon as I was almost falling asleep, my old one of the worst symptom said hello. It was like Double quick nerve electric knife stab type of pain in my right back. I thought that, okay I had this before I just ignore it.. 1min later.. again double quick jolts and later 1 more. Then I fell asleep.

Today I have back ache again.. it seems it always starts from those nerve jolts and then my back gets all achy for many days and I need to sit straight or it hurts again. Definitely on of my worst symptoms ever. Didn't have it for months. Had some stomach problems too past days like feeling hungry after eating and waking up middle of the night stomach hurting and a bit nausea. Took few Codeine pills mixed with Tylenol (some very mild opiate drug here). To calm my back and mind a bit  :-\

I'm so mad about my symptoms because my brother is supposed to come visit me for a week tomorrow and we have all planned out what we are doing and supposed to have fun and of course my back pains come day before.. just too typical.  :tickedoff:

Just wanted to share my thought today. hanging there  :sick:

HPC

Do you guys think I can use just a pill cutter and nothing else to titrate small amounts?

I want to go down .125mg later this week. It would be cutting a quarter of a pill in half.

Think that'll work?

Feel free to personal message me, as I find it a little difficult to keep up with these boards haha!

Do you guys think I can use just a pill cutter and nothing else to titrate small amounts?

I want to go down .125mg later this week. It would be cutting a quarter of a pill in half.

Think that'll work?

Feel free to personal message me, as I find it a little difficult to keep up with these boards haha!

I got down to .125mg with just a pill cutter but below that I had to get a scale.

I'm down to .018mg now  :D Should I do another cut or not? I'm leaning towards yes because it couldn't hurt...but this dose is so small. It's just been so long since I wasn't taking a benzo. August of last year...So i'm a little apprehensive about my jump but that has to be normal. I feel like I'm back to my old self already, so I'm nervous but confident about the jump.

As I promised im back to tell about my last 2 days. They were the best 2 days I have had since 2010 at least. It wasn't overwhelming joy or excitement it was for the first time in years, completely normal reactions to whatever situation I was in. On top of that, my neural pathways had an albeit temporary but still first natural reaction to the times where nothing was stimulating me. I felt content. I was positive about my past, present and future. That wasn't positive thinking or an effort, it simply was my brains natural reaction. So Awesome. Physically I was perfect. No GI issues either day, no headaches, no anxiety, no aches or pains. So what was the secret to this success!? What did I eat or what supplement or what yoga!? THE ANSWER: Nothing. Woke up feeling that way. Now to be fair I have been gluten free for 9 days, but the only thing I can surely attribute to that is elimination of my GERD symptoms. Which is big on its own. So I am back in a wave today, painful body. Anxiety accompanying the pain when it flares up. SO what did I do to fall back into the wave!? What did I accidentally eat or have happen to me!? THE ANSWER: Nothing. I woke up feeling crappy today. Just another data point to add to the millions that already exist that the only real cure for benzo withdrawal symptoms is time. Also shows that when it comes back you don't need to look for what you did wrong or why it happened. I have tasted the good times, now I just need to wait out the bad cycles. They will get less and less severe in time until eventually they fade into the past.

But since we come here for support I will admit that today the pain got bad enough in my arms that I took some advil and applied a heating pad to my right arm. I have had the leg pain before but the arm and spine pain is pretty new. Hope everyone else is doing fantastic!

:yippee:

Happy dance for mogeii

Things are pretty much NORMAL here at the moment. Had a doctor's appt on Friday where I was told to stop thinking so much about the end of benzos - that I will probably always have some anxiety in my life. I think that is true, but there is a difference between biting your nails anxiety and 6000 volts of electricity making you want to climb out of your skin and run away anxiety. I hope all the tools I am working on now can continue to be useful no matter where the anxiety comes from. I've been trying out EFT- if nothing else it is certainly relaxing.

JKS

JKS - I like your description of the anxiety.  I haven't had that buzzing-type anxiety since the crossover from Xanax back to Klonopin.  I would describe it more as deep fear and dread in acute Klonopin w/d, but I know what you're talking about!  Since my slow taper, that's all gone away.  The mild anxiety I deal with now is so minor, you can't even compare the two.  Buzzing out of my skull and the deep dread make coping with normal, organic levels of anxiety very easy.

Today is Jump Day for me!  I don't know what the future will bring - except that I don't have to look at that Klonopin jar anymore, or carry it with me whenever I leave my house overnight, or worry about what my next cut will be, or calculate my next cut....

I just got very overwhelmed.  I'm finally free.  It's been an enormous shackle and a very long, frightening journey.

Deinocote Congratulations!!!!! Wow you go girl!  :thumbsup:  You deserve lots of happiness from here on in and many many days free of benzos I can't wait until I can be in your shoes I can just tell in your post how happy you are Post like yours is what makes me want to keep on keeping on....... 

:)  Imsaved

Deinoncote I am so happy for you. CONGRATS on jumping. I am right behind you. Six more days and I jump too.

To everyone else, I read your posts, celebrate your good times and feel your struggles. Keep fighting the good fight. This last month has been more difficult but I'm determined to finish this thing and keep moving ahead.

I think of all of you every day. You're in my prayers.

hopeful2013

Yay Dein!  :thumbsup::D:):clap:

Fast note today: We're moving in 3 days, and when I was going through purses I hadn't seen in over a year, there was a bottle with Klonopin in it. Half a mg, used to take them like they were breath mints. I looked at it with all kinds of weird feelings - how this stupid little pill could have tanked my life - threw it away and took out the garbage right away. Simple fact is - if I had known it was there this past year, I would have absolutely taken it.

Anyway...it's way too early, but it's way too light out...

Have windowful days, folks!

Hi. 

I take clonazepam, and have been taking it for very close to 10 years.  I spent the first 5 years on 6 mg/day, and then over a bit less than a year tapered to 3 mg/day (which I tried to do gradually, but was still too fast).  I had a nurse practitioner who was basically clueless (for example he thought stuff like xanax would be easier to taper from, and valium would be harder), so he'd basically take me down in too-large steps and I'd titrate as best I could working with that.  At least I'm not taking 6 any more.

My current dose is 2.25 mg/day -- after 2-3 years of staying at 2.375, I switched to my current psychiatrist.  At his suggestion, I have reduced to 2.25, starting three days ago.  It's not been too fun but it's useful to me to equalize my three doses and to keep a journal of what a small reduction feels like over 2-3 months.  Last time I reduced by this amount I seem to recall the very worst was over in 2 weeks, and by 2 months it was mostly gone.  At 3 months I was definitely back to my old self.  (This time the reduction of 0.125 mg seems like it's a lot harder than last time, though, unless I'm just not remembering properly.. for example, I don't remember having a lot of insomnia a couple days out.)

My current psychiatrist has said that he's open to doing a diazepam switch, but we haven't discussed specifics--it was just a hypothetical.  So I may ask for that.  I've read the Ashton manual, so I'm at least somewhat familiar with all of this.  However, as a member in my introduction thread pointed out, I may be okay with a direct taper if it's worked so far (maybe I could make smaller cuts using liquid titration?).

I'm also on 200 mg/day venlafaxine, haven't had caffeine in more than a year (seems like I do a lot better without it), and no alcohol whatsoever (feels like I missed a klonopin dose if I drink it).  Before I did this recent 0.125 mg drop I was feeling pretty good.  Maybe some lingering effects from the previous tapers, but if so barely noticeable.  Way back, from maybe 2002-2006, I had nearly constant severe depression which resolved itself strangely enough from PTSD-oriented talk therapy, not that I necessarily had PTSD, but the therapy worked.

This next paragraph is basically a copy and paste from another post I made:

This whole topic is incredibly frightening to me; I feel like I'm kind of stuck between either having to go through some very hard changes or alternately be stuck on my meds.. I try to tell myself that I should be doing this one step at a time though, and that it's OK to stretch this out as long as I need...I also worry that my job, which is very mentally intense, will be really badly compromised if I do this too quickly, and I'm a single parent.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm forgetting some important things (didn't get much sleep last night, brain fog), but that's most of my story.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice.

[62...]