50 and over club- withdrawal and recovery issues for the aged :-)

[ve...]

With you as far as another 55 yr old member, but please - not "aged"!  It's infinitely nicer to realize we're in "middle essence" and just starting to hit our stride on so many issues, including how to care for ourselves and get free from benzos!!!

Please count me in as one of the Over Fifty crowd!  I am 52 (just had a birthday on April 8) and have been on benzos since I turned 40.  :) Klonkers

Gettin old is not for sissys!! ;)

You ain't kidding DesertWoman.  Had my first colonoscopy last month.  Went with the Propofol rather than the Versed (which I heard can impact the GABA site).  Despite some GI issues over the last couple years, all was clear.  Don't procrastinate on this too long felow seniors :)

Vertigo

I'm 54 and in suffering with about , Oh I haven't begun counting 30-50 problems. Non that I had before benzo.

Re: colonoscopy.  Had one last year and used NO anesthetic at all. Wow was that painful.

Am I in the club??

Carol

I have already received so many great thoughful answers on this site.

Now I know why so many of them were very though out.

Over 50 just like me:)

PS Not that the under 50's were not thoughtful posts.

I find that I relate well to Chrisw's answers also. OK and many many others.

Carol

I don't want to jinks my wonderful feeling, but I will venture to say that I have felt better today than I have in 8-10 months!!  I got up early, put feed out for the birds, fixed a yummy protein drink, took a shower, and went to a motorcycle event in town for a few hours.  Did some shopping, came home and am still feeling great!  Tomorrow...I will dare to do some landscaping!  Maybe put some Pirates of the Carribean out there!  Maybe a rollar coaster or two!  I've never ridden any of the rides on benzo brain..that might be interesting...NOT!!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Desertwoman, That is wonderful  I am so happy for yo.  It is great to feel almost normal again.  I love the desert so I love your name.  I go to AZ whenever i can and would love to move out there or someplace like it.  Desert;dry and sunny!  Hope tomorrow is great for you also.

fb

Desertwoman, That is wonderful  I am so happy for yo.  It is great to feel almost normal again.  I love the desert so I love your name.  I go to AZ whenever i can and would love to move out there or someplace like it.  Desert;dry and sunny!  Hope tomorrow is great for you also.

fb

Loved our visit to Arizona  back in 2010, particularly Sedona and the Grand Canyon that first summer off valium.  However, probably the most memorable and most idiotic thing I did "while on valium" was the previous summer, 2009 when I agreed to go white water rafting down the American River in Sacramento.  I was down to 1mg valium when my then 9 year old son really wanted to go river rafting.  I felt guilty about not being available to do a lot of things for him the previous six months while I was tapering.  I was so worried about him falling out of the raft that I had one arm trying to keep my son in the boat which resulted in my falling out twice :D!  It was a particularly heavy rain that Spring and the rapids were pretty rough ::).

Do any of my fellow senior "over 50" buddies have something crazy they have done while tapering or while on a benzo?

Vertigo

Thanks FB!  I hope tomorrow is a good one too!  You never know with the benzo dragon!  I love my desert for sure.  Am a true desert rat!  Traveled for years when young, but have been in the desert for a long while.  Never get tired of it.  And am sooooo ready to get back outside again!

Vertigo - I can't even imagine doing anything like that while tapering!  There were times when I would have to hold onto the walls just to get from the living room to the bedroom, and I'm not done yet!  That was very brave of you to go river rafting!  Sedona is a favorite vacation spot for us.  It used to be ours in the 70's, but the rich and famous found it!  Now we pay big bucks to be where we were for free!!  The times they have changed!

Hello fellow agers,

We had a wonderful bide ride today. The weather was beautiful, clear blue skies and a nice 70ish temp.  We took a new trail along a river, so lovely.  I thought it was wonderful to see a community out planting trees along the path for Arbor Day as well and cleaning up.  There were rafts and kayaks on the river, its a very shallow and slow moving one. I was not without sxs during our ride but I just kept thinking that I was very lucky to be able to do this thing.  We rode about 24 miles and then stopped for brunch at Lucilles.  I did forgo the Beniets, didn't want all the good exercise to go to waste.  My you know what is a little numb, its our longest ride so far this season. 

I think us oldies are doing pretty good all in all. ( and will get even better) Remember that commercial "I'm not getting older I'm getting better", or something like that. lol benzo brain or old brain.  :laugh:

pianogirl  :smitten:

Piano Girl that's amazing! :yippee:

24 miles? And then 24 miles back? Are you kidding. I'm so impressed. Thank you for pushing through your symptoms and setting a good example.  :smitten:

Hello fellow agers,

We had a wonderful bide ride today. The weather was beautiful, clear blue skies and a nice 70ish temp.  We took a new trail along a river, so lovely.  I thought it was wonderful to see a community out planting trees along the path for Arbor Day as well and cleaning up.  There were rafts and kayaks on the river, its a very shallow and slow moving one. I was not without sxs during our ride but I just kept thinking that I was very lucky to be able to do this thing.  We rode about 24 miles and then stopped for brunch at Lucilles.  I did forgo the Beniets, didn't want all the good exercise to go to waste.  My you know what is a little numb, its our longest ride so far this season. 

I think us oldies are doing pretty good all in all. ( and will get even better) Remember that commercial "I'm not getting older I'm getting better", or something like that. lol benzo brain or old brain.  :laugh:

pianogirl  :smitten:

Your bike ride sounds wonderful.  24 miles, that's amazing!  Gives me hope.  Thanks for sharing......

I'd like to put in for membership in this group. I'm 66, and tapering off lorazepam -- about half done now.  I started on it last summer and hope to get completely off by the end of spring.  Glad to be associated with this wonderful group.

Rich

Hello fellow agers, We rode about 24 miles and then stopped for brunch at Lucilles.  I did forgo the Beniets, didn't want all the good exercise to go to waste.pianogirl  :smitten:

Sounds like some great exercise PG. Well, our bike ride today was more like about 10 miles and no discipline afterward :tickedoff:.  Burger, fries and frozen yogurt afterward ::).

V

I love Sedona but not sure I want to live there.  Looking for a place to live that is beautiful like Sedona and can walk if I want into a fun town.  I am sick of having to drive everywhere all the time.  I miss cool towns with things to do like Sedona. I stayed one year for 2 weeks up there and it got a bit touristy.  It is beautiful though.  I love all the art up there also.  Scottsdale has too much crazy traffic in and out even though the town is fun.  Any suggestions as I really am planning to move in the near future if possible. 

I love Sedona but not sure I want to live there.  Looking for a place to live that is beautiful like Sedona and can walk if I want into a fun town.  I am sick of having to drive everywhere all the time.  I miss cool towns with things to do like Sedona. I stayed one year for 2 weeks up there and it got a bit touristy.  It is beautiful though.  I love all the art up there also.  Scottsdale has too much crazy traffic in and out even though the town is fun.  Any suggestions as I really am planning to move in the near future if possible. 

Hi FB.  My wife and I fell in love with Sedona the first time we were there shortly after we were married.  We returned there with our son two years ago and it had gotten so congested, expensive and touristy, although we still enjoyed it.  I don't think it would be my first choice for retirement at this point though, but it is still a beautiful area and nice place to visit.

Hey all new age 50 and over benzo warriors :pokey:  Any recommendations for best places to retire???

V

retire? Canada, they have nature and health insurance.

Love Canada Garuda, but a little too cold for me, sorry! Free health insurance sounds good though ;). How about Las Vegas or Reno?

Vertigo

I'd like to put in for membership in this group. I'm 66, and tapering off lorazepam -- about half done now. I started on it last summer and hope to get completely off by the end of spring. Glad to be associated with this wonderful group. Rich

Welcome KC/Rich.  Sounds like you've made some good progress with your taper.  Take your time with the last half, there's no rush.

Best,

Vertigo

Depends on what you want.  I get blamed already for bringing too many folks to certain areas!!  I'm not a city person.  So depending on what you want.  I'm going to say look into Prescott, Cottonwood, Bisbee, or the Pinetop area.  You can check them all out on google!!  If you want city, Tucson is fabulous.  I hate Phoenix.  (shhhh, don't tell my sister!!) ;D

Depends on what you want.  I get blamed already for bringing too many folks to certain areas!!  I'm not a city person.  So depending on what you want.  I'm going to say look into Prescott, Cottonwood, Bisbee, or the Pinetop area.  You can check them all out on google!!  If you want city, Tucson is fabulous.  I hate Phoenix.  (shhhh, don't tell my sister!!) ;D

How about Flagstaff? I hear it's a little cooler?

Vertigo

[ad...]

24 miles??? As in ~~T-W-EN-T-Y  F-O-U-R~~ miles??!!!!!!!! Egads, I wouldn't have been able to do that even when I was in my 20s! Kudos to you, pianogirl!  :clap:

I started my crossover this afternoon. So far, so good. Scary, though. I don't know why I'm so scared but it is what it is, I guess.

Love reading all of your posts fellow 50+'ers ... I feel so "at home" here.

Thnx for starting this thread, vertigo. I think it's a definite keeper.  :thumbsup:

T

How about Flagstaff? I hear it's a little cooler?

Vertigo

Flagstaff is lovely!  Too much snow for me.  Williams is a cool little town.  Love that train ride to the Grand Canyon!!

[move] :) Joining the +50 club....."in tha house?" [/move]

Prescribed xanax in early 2008 due to panic disorder, & long term insomnia. Thought it was The most wonderful medication--stopped those pesky panic attacks in seconds and was in dreamland within a few moments after ingesting it. About a year later and clueless as too the effects of benzo usage, began to have what were thought to be heart attacks--anxiety, stomach aches--gallbladder issues, was in the ER dozens and dozens of time only to discover that "nothing was wrong"...anxiety based--was told many times to go home, take a pill(xanax) or was given a shot of vistaril which knocked me out for hours on end. In May 2010, xanax rebounded and no comfort was derived form using it at all--only misery. Thought I had lost my mind and allowed ER doc to put me in psych. hosp. for evaluation. Before I left, a male nurse came in and told me he had been hooked on klonazepam had managed to taper off of it. He also told me not to tell the drs. that he had talked to me.

Stayed in psych. hosp. for a week of absolute hell-on-earth. Placed on clonazepam 2 mgs. per day and sertraline 200 mgs. per day. Made it thorugh the last six days of school--God was with me!!! Horrible withdrawals. Went to live with MOM for the summer and found BB on the internet. BB has been and continues to be an absolute God-send.

................T2

I've been to Cottonwood and Prescott.  Both are nice just didn't know if there is enough to do there.  I have felt very isolated for such a long time and it is not good for me.  I need to be around artists and the arts.  Never been to Bisbee although I know there is a turquoise mine there.  I love Jerome but not sure I'd want to live in such a small town 24/7.  Flag is too cold for me.  I've been to the Tuscon gem show a few times but it didn't look like a place I'd like to live.  There is probably way more to see than the area the show is in and I should explore it more.  Never been to Williams or Pinetop either so will have to check into them.  I spend most of my time in Chandler.  Have a relative there.  It has good weather but not sure about it.  I came very close to buying a house there last year and changed my mind.  I like Cave Creek area but not sure if it is too remote.  So what do I like.  I love the dry sunny weather as much as I can get.  Even gets cool in Sedona for me.  I love the beauty of the Red Rock Canyons.  I'd like to live in or walking distance of a small quaint town with lots to do.  Art galleries, shops, cafes,..........I want it all ;) I am tired of having to drive everywhere.  I am a comfort zone kind of driver anyway so I don't hop on highways and drive for hours.  More into surface roads but walking would be nice too.  Years ago I was in St. George Utah and I remember it was nice but I think it gets too cold up there.  I have boxes still packed in my basement that say AZ on them ;D  appreciate the input. 

fb

Piano Girl that's amazing! :yippee:

24 miles? And then 24 miles back? Are you kidding. I'm so impressed. Thank you for pushing through your symptoms and setting a good example.  :smitten:

Flip, you make me sound like Tour De France wanna be.  ;D Our ride was 24 miles round trip.

Hello fellow agers, We rode about 24 miles and then stopped for brunch at Lucilles.  I did forgo the Beniets, didn't want all the good exercise to go to waste.pianogirl  :smitten:

Sounds like some great exercise PG. Well, our bike ride today was more like about 10 miles and no discipline afterward :tickedoff:.  Burger, fries and frozen yogurt afterward ::)

V

Hey V,  I think that a burger and fries might send me in actute withdrawal.  :-\ I haven't eaten fast food in so long, mainly because I didn't go out much when in the thick of things. Good luck with coaching the soccer team tommorrow, I'm sure you will do great!!  :thumbsup:

Welcome to everyone new to this post and thanks for the kind words about our bike ride. I hope everyone has a fine Sunday.

PG