50 and over club- withdrawal and recovery issues for the aged :-)

[ve...]

Hi folks

I`m so happy to find somewhere with others in my age group to go through this journey with.    I`m 72, so probably older than a lot of you here but hopefully someone will come along who`s my age too.

I`m tapering diaz and now down to 1.75mg from 10 mg.  This is my second time doing this, I`m so angry with myself for listening to a Dr and taking a benzo again.  Is anyone here in a similar situation, going through this for a a second time?  I`d love to hear how you`re doing?

My worst sx is muscle pain, and right now as I`ve got low in my dose I`m waking up sweating, which I recognise from my 1st time.  And some tinnitus and dizziness going on. But the pain is definitely the worst of the lot. 

Blessings to everyone and wish us all some glorious windows

NCT

Im 54, 2nd time getting off of valium. First time was 10 years ago, mad at myself for letting Dr. talk me into taking xanax again after divorce for sleep. I knew better but hadnt slept for days and was really struggling to keep my job.  This time is harder than last time to get off of it. Was on 10mg valium and got down to 5MG within about 6 weeks but what it did was create an alcoholic. Now i have to deal with getting off the alcohol before i can start tapering the last 5MG.  Its getting so bad i might have to go into detox just to get off the alcohol. Last time 10 years ago non of this happened, it wasnt a walk in the park but i was able to go down from 10MG to 0 within about 6 months and it wasnt as bad as it is now. The symtoms are so bad cutting 1MG at a time that i literally cant handle it with the anxiety and insomnia and wind up drinking just to get some sleep.

You might be able to try a small dose of Librium for a day or 2 to help stop the alcohol. It pretty much just puts you to sleep…just a thought.

I, also, have a glass of wine or 2 to help with the symptoms, so you are definitely not alone! Please don’t beat yourself up over it-we all do what we can to get a moment of reprieve!

Hi folks

I`m so happy to find somewhere with others in my age group to go through this journey with.    I`m 72, so probably older than a lot of you here but hopefully someone will come along who`s my age too.

I`m tapering diaz and now down to 1.75mg from 10 mg.  This is my second time doing this, I`m so angry with myself for listening to a Dr and taking a benzo again.  Is anyone here in a similar situation, going through this for a a second time?  I`d love to hear how you`re doing?

My worst sx is muscle pain, and right now as I`ve got low in my dose I`m waking up sweating, which I recognise from my 1st time.  And some tinnitus and dizziness going on. But the pain is definitely the worst of the lot. 

NCT

Im 54, 2nd time getting off of valium. First time was 10 years ago, mad at myself for letting Dr. talk me into taking xanax again after divorce for sleep. I knew better but hadnt slept for days and was really struggling to keep my job.  This time is harder than last time to get off of it. Was on 10mg valium and got down to 5MG within about 6 weeks but what it did was create an alcoholic. Now i have to deal with getting off the alcohol before i can start tapering the last 5MG.  Its getting so bad i might have to go into detox just to get off the alcohol. Last time 10 years ago non of this happened, it wasnt a walk in the park but i was able to go down from 10MG to 0 within about 6 months and it wasnt as bad as it is now. The symtoms are so bad cutting 1MG at a time that i literally cant handle it with the anxiety and insomnia and wind up drinking just to get some sleep.

Hi S  :thumbsup: Do smaller cuts and hold a bit longer 1mg a time is way too much for me too. I cut at .5 (/14mg) a time or even smaller (.25 1/8 of an mg)  and I'm also on my 3rd attempt to get off aged 63 and its a lot worse than the first2 attempts although I've not been off altogether at all yet. But praying that at my age this time I can, well I have no option anyway,  as I'm very ill on them and haven't been stable for year's was also in unbeknown tolerance withdrawal for many year's too beofre I began tapering.

Nova  :smitten:

Hi folks

NCT

Hi S  :thumbsup: Do smaller cuts and hold a bit longer 1mg a time is way too much for me too. I cut at .5 (/14mg) a time or even smaller (.25 1/8 of an mg)  and I'm also on my 3rd attempt to get off aged 63 and its a lot worse than the first2 attempts although I've not been off altogether at all yet. But praying that at my age this time I can, well I have no option anyway,  as I'm very ill on them and haven't been stable for year's was also in unbeknown tolerance withdrawal for many year's too beofre I began tapering.

Nova  :smitten:

Hi Everyone

I’m going through the same, I am now 58 and this journey started when I was 41, this is definitely not my first attempt I’ve been doing this since 2006 started with Ativan the equivalent to 30mg of v, been here from time to time on BB since 2013.

It’s certainly be a wild ride but I have managed over the years to stabilise and my health has continued to improve. I am now down to 2.5mg and at the Drs request they are pushing me relentlessly to get off.

I’ve tried so many different ways and for me the kindest to my system is to titrate so at the moment I am at day 9 of 100 days to go down 0.5mg.

As soon as I have a symptom that I don’t like (muscle aches,insomnia, anxiety etc) I sit at that dose until it passes and if that means stuck at the same dose for a week before going down again then so be it. I’ve learnt that the slower the easier it is. I think the trick is to find what works for you.

Give me a wi Dow rather than a wave any day

Cheers

Gypsy :smitten:

Hi!

Five weeks into taper off Xanax.... trying to dance with the devil I know, instead of switching to another benzo.

This is my first-time tapering, I am 53yrs old. So far, I am okay.  Glad there is a spot for us folks over 50.  Any one else working while doing this?

i work full time and am in the middle of moving, have a 21 year old kid that cant stop trying to drive me crazy with his tickets and car accidents  :tickedoff:

Hi Spitfiremetalart!

I feel your pain.... I have a 20-year-old son, who has wrecked a car after a few minor accidents and a few red-light tickets.... making him take the bus now. Insurance through the roof here in N.Y.

Trying my best to navigate this taper, work and act like I am normal around him, as well as keeping up with the house and making hubby happy.

I feel like I am sitting here in full combat gear waiting for the withdrawal sxs to start.  Next cut is on Tuesday, and I will hold my breath and hope for the best.

Thanks for responding about work!

BB22

To give hope……..I’m 68 and 15 months off.

Every week is better and better. I can honestly say I’m beginning to enjoy living again.

How can people take normal life for granted! Everyone should be made to feel withdrawal for an hour then they would appreciate how wonderful normal is!!

Every good wish.

Hardy x

Every week is better and better. I can honestly say I’m beginning to enjoy living again.

How can people take normal life for granted! Everyone should be made to feel withdrawal for an hour then they would appreciate how wonderful normal is!!

Every good wish.

Hardy x

Loved reading this! I'm nine months off and the SX are manageable but still enough to make life not fun. It's not hell, it's just not fun. So it's really encouraging to read that you're beginning to enjoy living again. Love it so so much! Gives me hope!!

:smitten:

HC

• 2 weeks later...

Every good wish.

Hardy x

This is so good to read!!  I'll probably be 68 when I finish this run.....

So glad that life is good for you!  Well done on the taper.

:thumbsup:

It is good, getting better each week.

I might end up getting younger instead of older!

It’s almost (not quite) worth it because feeling normal is so precious I don’t take anything for granted.

Yesterday I brought in crisp white sheets from the washing line and smelled them…….a bolt of joy shot through me. They smelled of summer. It was delicious.

Hang in, the waiting and suffering brings rewards.

Hardy x

It’s almost (not quite) worth it because feeling normal is so precious I don’t take anything for granted.

Yesterday I brought in crisp white sheets from the washing line and smelled them…….a bolt of joy shot through me. They smelled of summer. It was delicious.

Hardy x

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Suffering Sixty, and Everyone!

I'd never seen this Support thread before, but it looks great to me as I am 70, going on 18 :laugh:  At 18 I so wanted to be "set free" and get on with my life, and now, I'd sure appreciate having my mom around to take care of me, but only some days ;)

As far as getting on with my life though, I am already doing that, enjoying the journey as much as possible, not just the destination, and about 3-4 months of regular tapering so far.  It was a rough start as I couldn't figure the numbers out.  I got tons of help, bought 3 different scales and sent them all back, but realize now, it was me that was defective, not the scales.  It's funny as I still had a tiny Jewelry Scale that was "defective" as well  ::) but funny how it finally started working perfectly for me, lol!  I am getting better, everything is better.

I had daily headaches and I was afraid I was taking too many aspirin & tylenol, no need for any for about, well at least a month.  I also had the tremors so bad I was embarrassed to go out in public.  When in my truck I always felt like one of those little bobbing head toys people sometimes have in their cars  ;D::)

I'll do a little more reading here and see who's about the place, very happy to have BB, and, oh, forgot to mention I am very slow tapering, few if any wd sxs, weaning off C tablet of 1mg I used for 35 years.  I'm sure many of my issues came from the Tolerance wd sxs I have read about.  Sending out hugs, encouragement, and hope to all, Denise :hug::thumbsup:  :smitten:

Hardy x

This is such an uplifting, encouraging read Hardy66!!  I actually feel hopeful I'm restoring what was damaged already, I do feel younger, and sheets drying outdoors, how wonderful!  I almost could smell the freshness myself  :smitten:  I'm so glad I found your group, it's just what I needed this a.m.  I am just starting out, but I think finding your group thread is no accident, I have a long way to go, but every day I am working on focusing on living now, enjoying what I can, and so excited that I can finally be free.  I was so willing to try, even before I found BB, but there was that fright of the bad things when I had weaned or been weaned too fast.  BB has taught me the way for me to do it, and it's working.

I think it's will be my mind (fear) that is the biggest road-block, maybe, to jumping off because "what will it be like to be free?".  I think of the little bird, caged so long that she is afraid to come out when the door is opened, but there will be others to talk to here, I believe the support will be there as it is now.  Huge hugs, congratulations, and many thanks for your lovely words, Denise ❤️🎈

Hi Denise,

I often go back into my bird cage for a rest. The door is always open now and I believe the cage will be there for as long as you or I need it.

This journey is a process. We have thought millions of thoughts along the way and gradually those thoughts become lighter, happier and more confident.

You sound as though you’re well on the way. Living now and enjoying what we can (in spite of symptoms) must surely be helpful to our healing.

Hardy x

Thanks Hardy, it's very nice to meet you and yes, it was a relief for me to realize I could take my rest when I need to, and even updose.  I had to do that 2 times but went right back on my previous cut next day, so far so good.  I can also now cut my tablet with razor blade by aligning with the little letters on the tablet (TEVA brand) and much easier too, no stress involved or anxiety like at first :)  :thumbsup: I've trained myself to take it each day the same time, or close to :)

How are things going with you oreganlady?

We’ve had storms here over the weekend and that brought a horrid migraine for me. It’s lovely to be cooler though.

Hardy x

Hi Hardy,  I wish I knew for sure if it's the weather, ours is very weird this month, and I suppose it could be pollen/allergies/weather.  I'd give anything to be able to use the Melatonin, but I'm scared of it right now.  Going to suffer through the insomnia for now and see if I stop getting migraines again.  I hadn't had any for a couple months. Denise PS I'm on the nw coast of CA near the Oregon border, and it's miserable windy and when it does warm up, we get higher cold winds, mostly from the NW.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

im 55, went from 10mg valium down to 5MG within about 2 months but then got some pretty bad withdrawls that lasted about 2 weeks coming down from 6-5mg. So bad that i started drinking cause i couldnt handle it. Well Dr. wants me off valium and has let me sit for two months now on 5MG so shes telling me i need to go down now even if its .5 so here i go tonight wish me luck, going down from 5 to 4.5 MG (Dr. wants me to go down at least .5 every 2 weeks and no more stopping), so 1MG a month. She wanted me off it quicker than that but seems to be ok as long as there is progress. Sigh. Here we go.

I don't know what anyone else might tell you, but my MD did not know how to taper someone off benzos and I too had bad wd sxs.  I wish I could tell you more but maybe if you take some of the literature from the Ashton Manual to your doctor, they might agree to let you go at a slower rate.  I didn't have a high dose to wean off of so not in the same boat as folks weaning off higher doses.  I so hope someone can chime in to help you.

Is there any chance you can find another doctor in your area?  I live in a small, very small town and had no choice but to deal with the one MD I have.  I'll be hoping someone with way more knowledge can help you.

In the meantime, go into Withdrawal Support Board, as well as others, there are a lot of folks on here but they are spread out and you have to keep looking and digging for info.  Here's a link to withdrawal support board:  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=145.0

Hi,

im 55, went from 10mg valium down to 5MG within about 2 months but then got some pretty bad withdrawls that lasted about 2 weeks coming down from 6-5mg. So bad that i started drinking cause i couldnt handle it. Well Dr. wants me off valium and has let me sit for two months now on 5MG so shes telling me i need to go down now even if its .5 so here i go tonight wish me luck, going down from 5 to 4.5 MG (Dr. wants me to go down at least .5 every 2 weeks and no more stopping), so 1MG a month. She wanted me off it quicker than that but seems to be ok as long as there is progress. Sigh. Here we go.

I just remembered that if someone is on a higher amount of benzo, they can do ok taking larger tapers.  So lets just keep in touch here and we'll find the info, I'll help you, one thing for sure, you are not alone here.  Do you have a scale so you can get as accurate as possible with your taper?  I know for sure I can help you do the taper as I do mine using just a dry-cut and use a scale and single-edge razor blade, works great, but take practice.  Like you said, if you can show her you are decreasing your dose, she will probably be ok with it.  But I'll find more info in the a.m. for you.  Let us know how you are doing, just stick with BB Forum.

• 2 weeks later...

spitfire, I found an NP who let me taper at my own rate. I had the devil of a time between 5 and 4 mgs. I tapered way too fast on the higher doses and and was in a world of hurt. Unlike my psychiatrist, who wanted to rigidly manage my taper, she urged me to listen to my body and design my own taper. I went to a DLMT and reduced by tiny amounts. It really saved my bacon. Yeah, it took a lot longer than my psych wanted (listen, it's MY taper, not yours, buddy)  but as she said, as long as the general direction was down, she was on board. She made sure I had a good supply of valium for the times I just had to hold. Bless her . . . and hateful hisses to all psychiatrists who think they "own" our tapers.

So, just a thought. Maybe a DLMT (daily liquid microtaper) would suit you when the going gets rough. In my case, it kept me out of "the weeds" and made it possible for me to slither off at zero.

Best wishes,

Katz (75)

Yeah no idea, this guy hates Valium and crossed me over from 4.5 Valium to 1mg Ativan. I give up, he wants me to take a knife and scrape off a little every day. When I asked him about a jewelers scale he said no that ruins the whole process

spitfire it makes no sense to cross you from a long-acting benzo (valium) to a short-acting one (ativan). It was the way too short action of the ativan that made me go to valium . . . and my nice NP who let me go as slowly as I wanted on that benzo. How about changing providers? I'm worried that you're going to get into a world of hurt with your doc who doesn't seem to know much about benzos.

Just a a thought.

Katz