50 and over club- withdrawal and recovery issues for the aged :-)

[ve...]

57 K 21-22 years 2-3mg a day.  Tapering at 1.2mgs.  So many sxs.  Worst extreme muscle pain, inner vibration, neuropathy, head pressure, ear pressure.

MissBella

Hi, Miss Bella.

My worst symptoms are muscle pain and headaches. I am in tolerance wd. Congrats on getting down to 1.2, we will all get there!

Best,

Sun 🌻

I turned 69 this March. So I do share your concerns. Getting old stinks but getting off benzos stinks more. I do wonder how our age affects our healing, and have tried to find some sort of decent research on this, and have not. I know I healed after thirty long years on benzos AND going CT off them plus ADs. But did my age affect this in any way? I do not know.,. added problem of healing from benzos and maybe other psych drugs as well.

What I can tell you for SURE is that I feel so much better now. I am no longer depressed, or even very anxious. I sleep well, I have energy, I work now. Those are huge miracles for this lady. And all of this is because I got off benzos and ADs.

east

Hey East,

That is fantastic to hear the rest of the story once we get past the goal of hitting the bit 0 of no meds. So encouraging for many of us who have been chipping away at this tapering for a long time.

Thank you!

Healing is happening even when we do not feel it. Hang in there everyone, you are doing a fabulous job!  :smitten:

Congrats to all of you off/close to getting off! I am just starting this journey, extremely sensitive to cuts, and while I can’t wait until I am free of all meds, very scared of starting this process.

• 1 year later...

Hi.  I guess this support group is no more and is now long term benzo users, or some such I stumbled upon?

Whichever, wondering if Lyrica is more benign than benzos or easier to get off if you need it to aid in functioning?

Just wondering. 

I am 70, suffer from Sjogrens, Tinnitus, Rhenauds, very painful Neuropathy, migraines GERD etc.  Anxiety and depression led me to become a low dose Xanax user for a number of years. For a while I was on .75mg daily. Then, for about one month 1 mg daily.  Three weeks ago, under the guidance of a Psychiatrist and my PCP at a major medical center I started tapering. I absolutely HATE this stuff. Our plan is to cut .125mg every two weeks. Of course, it is very flexible.  I am all about acceptance.  While anxiety, depression and autoimmune issues will remain I really want to be done with this poison. So now, after three weeks I am back to .75mg where I was for years.  I am hoping to reduce to .625mg next week but we will see.

Every day I meditate, walk, eat healthy, talk with family, hang out with my Wife and Cats.  I, also practice Acceptance therapy which is most effective for me.  Nonetheless, this is a struggle.  However, I will use the method of Dr. Claire Weeks,,,, face, accept, float and let time pass.

Best to all,

Rcristal

Thanks Barb for bumping this group.  j

I tapered off my Z med in my 50s.  I think there would have been a little less suffering if I were younger since I had more stamina in those days but its all hypothetical.  When you read through the threads you see the arbitrariness of who are the victims of these drugs and variation in accounts of recovery.

I was really, really sick getting off Ativan in ignorance years ago but really sick again with an informed taper off this stupid Z drug cousin, Lunesta.  But I am now just accepting my underlying conditions that got me started on that benzo s**t in the first place. 

RCrys - welcome.  Remember if you feel too bad, you can hold.  There is no particular "right" way.  I'll audiobook Dr. Claire Weeks now.  Thanks for that.

WBB

Well, I'm well over 50, but I'm closer to my finish line than I was years ago. Memorial Day this year will be the 6 yr taper mark. I'm hoping to be completely off before then, so we'll see. Bless all of you!!! Next!!! :)

Ultra,  that is fantastic, so close to reaching your goal!  6 years is not bad at all, may feel like a life time of yucky benzo journey, but you have truly persevered!

Once you are off, the healing continues and you know that with each reduction you make you are saying goodbye to that dose level forever. YAY progress is happening.  :smitten:

Thanks Barb for bumping this group.  j

I tapered off my Z med in my 50s.  I think there would have been a little less suffering if I were younger since I had more stamina in those days but its all hypothetical.  When you read through the threads you see the arbitrariness of who are the victims of these drugs and variation in accounts of recovery.

I was really, really sick getting off Ativan in ignorance years ago but really sick again with an informed taper off this stupid Z drug cousin, Lunesta.  But I am now just accepting my underlying conditions that got me started on that benzo s**t in the first place. 

RCrys - welcome.  Remember if you feel too bad, you can hold.  There is no particular "right" way.  I'll audiobook Dr. Claire Weeks now.  Thanks for that.

WBB

Wanna,  yes when you are younger you have more stamina AND more family/friends.  Lots of us in 60s and older are totally isolated and that for sure makes it very bad.

Yes, Claire Weeks is great... have her yellowed book from like 35 years ago!  "Feel the fear and do it anyhow.."

Ultra,  that is fantastic, so close to reaching your goal!  6 years is not bad at all, may feel like a life time of yucky benzo journey, but you have truly persevered!

Once you are off, the healing continues and you know that with each reduction you make you are saying goodbye to that dose level forever. YAY progress is happening.  :smitten:

Bless your lovin' heart!! It's been a heck of a ride and especially these last few months. I still can't believe some of the things that happened, but such is a benzo ride...you never really know what you're going to get. Anyway, I'm glad you're off the stuff and I'm sure you're thankful every single day. I bet you're a ton stronger than years ago too. Mental toughness probably has new meanings to you now. Catch ya later, and enjoy the day!

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I found out they found microscopic blood in my urine. Headed for a CT Scan and bladder exam.  Also, I am extremely worried about my left eye and must go to the eye doc which is a concern.  Second vaccine next Tuesday as well.  Pain and worry are not fun.

I am scheduled to cut from .625 to .5 next week. We will see. Problem is that my anxiety and depression are high from my autoimmune illnesses, physical pain and this darn taper. Hard to separate them although it doesn't really matter.

Trying to be positive, meditate, walk, use acceptance etc.  Finding it rough being positive when medical issues keep pilling up.  I am whining but this is difficult.

Rcristal

Hi- So glad I found this thread.  I am almost 55.  I think this might be a good place to be.  I started to read some of the post....I will come back and read through some more when I have more time and try and get a better feel for some of the members.

I am just half way through right now, but am holding because I just hit a wall and had some good advice  ;)......I need to let my body rest and my symptoms settle down.  I have been doing ~10% cuts every 2 weeks.  My new approach is holding for one more week (depending on symptoms)then resume taper but with micro taper (dry) and hoping to continue with the 10%, but if I need to adjust that %, I will, based on my “symptoms”.

I too have and autoimmune disease and this process has sent me into a few flair ups, so that with the w/d SX and the waves, it just is too much.  I was so set on a “time frame” and just wanting off, that’s all I could think about.  Well that obviously won’t happen if I just keep getting sicker.  So I have to slow down and listen to my body, while making progress at the same time.

Anyways, I look forward to getting to know those of you on here and to support you in this process :smitten:

Marie  :thumbsup:

Hi- So glad I found this thread.  I am almost 55.  I think this might be a good place to be.  I started to read some of the post....I will come back and read through some more when I have more time and try and get a better feel for some of the members.

I am just half way through right now, but am holding because I just hit a wall and had some good advice  ;)......I need to let my body rest and my symptoms settle down.  I have been doing ~10% cuts every 2 weeks.  My new approach is holding for one more week (depending on symptoms)then resume taper but with micro taper (dry) and hoping to continue with the 10%, but if I need to adjust that %, I will, based on my “symptoms”.

I too have and autoimmune disease and this process has sent me into a few flair ups, so that with the w/d SX and the waves, it just is too much.  I was so set on a “time frame” and just wanting off, that’s all I could think about.  Well that obviously won’t happen if I just keep getting sicker.  So I have to slow down and listen to my body, while making progress at the same time.

Anyways, I look forward to getting to know those of you on here and to support you in this process :smitten:

Marie  :thumbsup:

A symptoms-based taper seems to have worked great for so many people out there. Things got so much better once I started doing that. I had no clue what my taper rate was at any given point, but it didn't really matter. My brain/body doesn't know what my desired taper rate is, so I just let it all go according to what was natural for my body. I'm mega crazy super sensitive to everything (light, sound, touch, cut rate), so I see how I feel and then move from there. A much smoother ride!

Ultra - Thank You for the reply.  Yes.  You are so right.  I am already feeling better and I will just be listening to my body going forward.

I did decide after talking to my compound Pharmacist that I will try doing the liquid V micro taper instead of the dry micro.  This seems easier and it’s not as expensive as I thought it might be.  I don’t want to hassle with the scales and filing and weighing if I don’t have to.  Now hopefully my body will tolerate the liquid alright.  I have heard some people don’t.  I am staying positive and that I will be fine.  We are going to c/o and stay at my current dose for 5 days and if everything is going well, I will begin reducing again.  Hopefully my script will be ready tomorrow or Wed. 

Marie

Ultra - Thank You for the reply.  Yes.  You are so right.  I am already feeling better and I will just be listening to my body going forward.

I did decide after talking to my compound Pharmacist that I will try doing the liquid V micro taper instead of the dry micro.  This seems easier and it’s not as expensive as I thought it might be.  I don’t want to hassle with the scales and filing and weighing if I don’t have to.  Now hopefully my body will tolerate the liquid alright.  I have heard some people don’t.  I am staying positive and that I will be fine.  We are going to c/o and stay at my current dose for 5 days and if everything is going well, I will begin reducing again.  Hopefully my script will be ready tomorrow or Wed. 

Marie

I found that the transfer to liquid went great but I really had to take it slow since I'm so sensitive to anything. I first just tried a tiny bit of one of my doses (moving to liquid), waited a while to see how I felt, then did it again. I was starting at about 6mg of klonopin per day, so I had a long ways to go. I eventually learned to just basically do that process throughout my whole taper...make a small change/cut, wait to see how I felt, then moved on. Your finish line is out there!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi-

Ultra- I just finally got my script two days ago (it was delayed long story) and I just made the jump over.  I seem to be doing “ok”....a little more vibrating today, so maybe some adjusting going on, but I think I will be ok. 

I am glad I ended up holding longer do to the delayed compounding of my liquid Valium, as I think my body needed it.  I still don’t feel great and I ended up having a autoimmune flair up last week...Ugh.  But onward I go.  I will continue at 10Mg for another 3 nights of the liquid V ( I started it two nights ago) and then I will begin my micro taper after that.  I still plan on trying for 10% every 2 weeks if I can.  If even with the micro taper this is too much, I will adjust my % and lengths as needed.  I will be erasing my calendar on my fridge on the 20th.  I have dry erase boards that I have used to track my progress and in the center was my “schedule”.....Well, that’s not happening now.  All the calendar is doing is putting pressure on me and it just has to go away.

My partner was also set on this “time line” of when I would be off....but now is coming to terms that I have to get better first and then get off.  He has been very supportive, but I know he is getting frustrated with my becoming one with the couch.  The days I do feel better, I do force myself to get up and about and then rest and on and on....I JUST WANT MORE GOOD DAYS....LOL :thumbsup:  I Know we all do.

I hope some can chime in, and say that they do get good days too...... :D

Marie

Hi-

Ultra- I just finally got my script two days ago (it was delayed long story) and I just made the jump over.  I seem to be doing “ok”....a little more vibrating today, so maybe some adjusting going on, but I think I will be ok. 

I am glad I ended up holding longer do to the delayed compounding of my liquid Valium, as I think my body needed it.  I still don’t feel great and I ended up having a autoimmune flair up last week...Ugh.  But onward I go.  I will continue at 10Mg for another 3 nights of the liquid V ( I started it two nights ago) and then I will begin my micro taper after that.  I still plan on trying for 10% every 2 weeks if I can.  If even with the micro taper this is too much, I will adjust my % and lengths as needed.  I will be erasing my calendar on my fridge on the 20th.  I have dry erase boards that I have used to track my progress and in the center was my “schedule”.....Well, that’s not happening now.  All the calendar is doing is putting pressure on me and it just has to go away.

My partner was also set on this “time line” of when I would be off....but now is coming to terms that I have to get better first and then get off.  He has been very supportive, but I know he is getting frustrated with my becoming one with the couch.  The days I do feel better, I do force myself to get up and about and then rest and on and on....I JUST WANT MORE GOOD DAYS....LOL :thumbsup:  I Know we all do.

I hope some can chime in, and say that they do get good days too...... :D

Marie

Heck, your body doesn't know what a calendar is, so you're smart to just do what you can in any given moment and move along. I've done a symptoms-based taper the whole 6 years because it just made sense for me to 'heal faster than I taper'. If I ever tapered too fast, then my body sure let me know. The finish line is out there somewhere! It's better to cross it feeling good. Hang in there!

Ultra- You are so right! Our body doesn’t know about the calendar.....that made me smile :).  You were a head of me on the “symptom based” thing.  I was just too focused on the finish line and being off the drug.  However with the support and knowledge of people like you, I am now in a much healthier state of mind AND BODY!  I am feeling so much better.  It is truly amazing.  So if it takes the rest of the year, or even longer, I am at a place of total acceptance.  YAY :thumbsup:

Go for you on tapering so slowly and listens to your body.  How do you feel most of the time?  I am just curious. 

Ultra- You are so right! Our body doesn’t know about the calendar.....that made me smile :).  You were a head of me on the “symptom based” thing.  I was just too focused on the finish line and being off the drug.  However with the support and knowledge of people like you, I am now in a much healthier state of mind AND BODY!  I am feeling so much better.  It is truly amazing.  So if it takes the rest of the year, or even longer, I am at a place of total acceptance.  YAY :thumbsup:

Go for you on tapering so slowly and listens to your body.  How do you feel most of the time?  I am just curious.

I feel a ton better than I did 6 months ago, a year ago, and 4 years ago. I basically just stopped "trying" to do things to feel better, and I just kind of learned to let things roll along. A long time ago I was trying every supplement that people mentioned, listening to all of the ridiculous 'summits' and podcasts, breathing this way or that way, eating this and that before bed, etc. I just tried to eat right for me, live actively as I felt like, and be around positive people while putting positive things in my head. Things turned around in a huge good way once I did that and just sort of let go. Less can definitely be more. I thought I'd just live and go on with life. We'll get there, sweet soul!! :)