Sleep Restriction therapy saved my life. An update from jittery18.

[ji...]

Hey, I slept for 14 hours last night :).  I've slept 4 of the last 5 nights.  Might actually be getting better :)

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ma...]

• [Gl...]

• [ji...]

• [Ca...]

Glyn - that is AWESOME news dude!!!!!  I am so happy for you.  I have said prayers for you.  I wish we could figure out why you don't sleep.  I have OCD as well and I wonder how this affects our sleep?  May need to do some research on that.

Here's to many more hours... :yippee:

DG

Carol (Gedecca),

This was a two fold issue.  I had to stop drinking first.  After I did that, it took me about a month to adjust to this sleep schedule.  I have woken up for years at 5 am and did my workouts so I just needed to retrain myself.  The biggest part that I did was buying an awesome mattress for my guest room and I quit clock watching.  My husband is a loud snorer and kept me up during the night.  He also wallers (sp?) around in the bed all night and this woke me up.  I had to do a sleep study to figure this out.  I also have a box fan in the room for noise so that I don't fixate on other noises in the house like my birds cooing or traffic.  I promise this sleep restriction works.  I had to first adjust my environment for this to work though.  Once you retrain yourself to sleep without anxiety you can then return to the bed with your partner.  Like Jittery has done.  I am now able to sleep with my husband again on the weekends only for now. 

I just accept when my anxiety is high that I may not sleep.  And believe it or not I actually fall asleep within 30 minutes!

I understand that when our anxiety is high it is hard for us to shut our minds off.  I have to be fair and say that I do take trazodone.  I think I developed some pretty serious depression from not sleeping for months.  It helps a lot.

Sorry so long winded Carol.  I just had to give the whole story!!

Good luck and keep me posted on your progress.

I am with Jittery, this does work

DG

Thanks for answering DG

My husband is also a terrible snorer.

I have the king comfy bed (our bedroom) and he sleeps in what was our daughters room.

He is also a terrible sleeper so we were both just disturbing each other.

I stopped taking the trazadone as it makes mu brain very strange the next day.

I will definitely try it but not quite yet.

My sleep is slowly returning although it feels not like normal sleep.

We'll see.

i actually feel tired right now. Maybe it's time to relax.

Carol

Hi Carol. I'm having horrible sleep again at 16mos off temazapam and ambien. I am going to finally try the sleep restriction. What do you do when you wake up at say 3am and can't go back to sleep? Do you try for 20 min and then get up again? I'm so tired I hate the thought of even less sleep. I'll probably do 12:30 to 6 tho I often don't sleep that long. How long before you started sleeping well?

I really thought I was going to be ok and was sleeping fairly well at least some of the time. This last week has been horrible again. Any suggestions? I think I'm done with the withdrawal stuff. Ithink this is back to the natural me....unfortunately

Hey Maltesemom

i think your confusing me with someone who is actually sleeping well.

I have just started to sort of sleep.

I rarely fall asleep before 3am. 

Then I usually sleep 1 1/2 or sometimes 2 hours before I wake up with a hot sweat.

Most often now, i find that I can go back to sleep then. But I wake up 2 or 3 more times after that.

Last night I fell asleep about 3 am and woke up at 6 am with a start.

I just lyed in bed until around 7:30 and then fell asleep again until 10 am.

It's midnight now but I am no longer tired. The usual.

Sorry I have no answers.

Carol

Maltesemom -  I normally wake up within 2 hours of falling asleep.  I go and sit in a chair in my room, in the dark and focus on breathing.  The reason is because when I wake up sometimes my heart races so breathing is what calms me.  Sometimes I even go up to the kitchen and have a glass of milk. 

It took me about a month to get used to this and then suddenly it worked.  I guess I was just so exhausted that my body/mind finally gave in.  Once I practiced this I was able to stop taking ambien.  I have never looked back.  Now, I fall asleep within 15 minutes. 

One thing I have to say is don't become a chronic clock watcher.  That stressed me out more.  I had to kind of guess at how long I was up.  If I became agitated I got up.  If I stayed calm I stayed in bed.

I would read Jittery's experience.  I only sleep about 5 - 5 1/2 hours a night and 8 hours on the weekends.

Good luck!!  and congrats on being free of the z drug.

DG

Thanks DG. I really have to try the sleep restriction. I have been avoiding it, hoping to be able to sleep on my own. Last nite I took unisom cause I was exhausted from several nites of no sleep. I have had a period where I was sleeping ok and thought I was maybe healed. Now I think it's just me and my old crummy sleep patterns. I've lost the sleepy feeling.

I know sleep restriction worked well for Jittery, but I just didn't want to do it. I have this thing about going to bed at 10. I know between 10-12 is a time your body does a lot of important healing. Ayervedic medicine tells you to sleep from 10-6. Usually I get tired about 9. If I don't go to sleep immediately when I get that sleepy feeling, I get a second wind and then can't go to sleep. I swear there is something biochemical in my brain that goes off and on. It was good for a while, now I'm just not tired, except during the day.

So frustrating! Thanks for your help. Sweet dreams.

Notice, jittery is gone from BB....and healed.

MM,

I have nights like that too.  I have a window of opportunity to fall asleep and if I don't it takes me longer.  On those nights where I feel anxious I just stay up as late as I can before I lay down.  I exhaust myself.  It usually works.  But I still get up at 5 am even though I went to bed later.  That's what hurts.  lol.  The next night I am usually able to go to bed around 10:30 again.

So jittery is gone?  Good for her.  I so appreciated her sharing the sleep restriction therapy method she was on.  It helped me.  I know 5 hours isn't a lot but at least it's better than 0-2.

Good luck!!!!

Wishing you sweet dreams.

DG

DG last nite was my worst in ages. I took melatonin and went to sleep about 11 and woke at 12:30 and that was it for the nite. I took 3 Calms Forte and put lavender on the pillow and Peace and Calming on my neck and shoulders. Nothing. No sleep. I'm not stressing or worrying, I'm just not sleeping. I'm not sleepy. It is so bizarre. Too late to take a unisom at 3:30 so I got up. Now I have a headache and have my last Bible Study. Our group is doing a skit. Hope I don't mess it up. My eyes are so red. I just don't understand why all of a sudden I am in the cycle of no sleepy feeling and no sleep AGAIN. Wish I could figure out what changes to keep me from sleeping. This is why I got on the sleeping pills in the first place. My doctor said I couldn't keep going on with no sleep.

Wish I had an answer. i know all the sleep hygiene, all the things to do with music and relaxation and daily exercise and eating well, no alcohol and I do it all. It's just not fair to not be sleeping when I'm doing everything right. I don't know anyone who has the sleep routine I do. They sleep, I don't.

Hi Maltese

:)

Sorry to read that you are struggling again.  I have had a very bad week myself - maximum 2 and a half hours solid sleep and on Tuesday night I also took Melatonin and after 90min woke up - end of story. My eyes are not red but heck I have solid purple rings around them - guess you and I could pose for the evidence of Sleep Deprivation Photo Shoots.

Good luck for you Bible Study Group skit.

Thinking of you

:therethere:

Meee     

So sorry MM.  I know it sucks not sleeping.  I know it all too well.  I had a rough night myself last night.  It's kind of funny though.

I got up at 2:30 am and went to the restroom.  Bad thing is I thought it was actually 5:30 and so I took my little five hour energy shot so that I could go workout.  I laid back down for a minute and looked up and realized it was 2:30!  Ugh.  If I hadn't taken that dat gum shot I could have went back to sleep!  I was so pissed.  lol.  So, I am hyped up on some caffeine today.  I will be glad when 5 pm comes and I can go home, take a shower, get in some cozy pajamas and go to sleep!  he he.  It won't happen though.  I am never able to go to sleep before 10:30 pm no matter how tired I am.

Wishing you sweet dreams.

DG

Hi Meee. Aren't you just so frustrated? I can't believe my lack of sleep after this much time. This whole week has been awful. I don't feel sleepy in bed but drag thru the day. What I really don't get, is why I'm awake, because I'm truly not worrying. My Bible Study group is praying for me to sleep. Next week we have our final brunch so I'd love to report some decent sleep.

I really feel like something in my brain has changed from last week. Went to the chiropractor to see if I was out of alignment...thinking that was why I wasn't sleeping. Nope, I was fine. I clearly feel differently at bedtime this week and I sure do hate it.

My eyes are really red and I yawned thru our study. I pray we both get some decent sleep tonite. If not, I will start the dreaded SLEEP RESTRICTION.

Oh my gosh DG. It would be funny if we didn't feel so lousy...I can see how you misread the time tho. What a bummer. I'm sure you feel about the same way I do today. Wired and exhausted. Let's hope we can all get some decent sleep tonite.

Had a better day today, Thursday,  After trying the sleep restriction therapy on Tuesday I slept better on Wednesday night.  Trying not to be a clock watcher as well like some one else mentioned on this forum and that I think reduces my worry as well.  But here it is Friday at 3:30 am  and I am up.  I have already spent more minutes up  right now than sleep restriction allows so I am going to try again. 

When I can't/don't sleep my pain increases gradually as I lay there.  Do you folk experience this as well?

I'm hoping we sleep and sending sleep prayers out to all.

God Bless You,

David

Well last night I decided I just HAD to get some sleep.  My reflexes and coordination were being so negatively impaired that it was making driving dangerous and I have to drive about 100km each day and I was feeling like the walking dead at work.  I decided to take a triple dose of Be-Calm a herbal mixture of Valerian, Hops and Passion Flower and guess what?  I slept for 8 hours solid and would probably have slept longer had my youngest not woken me at 5.00am saying "Hey Mom I do have to go to school today!"  >:(  I know the knives are out about the possibility Valerian working on the same receptors as Benzos but I also know traffic accidents can be fatal so....

Praying4hope. Can you explain what you mean about sleep restriction not allowing you to be up for too long? I know you get up if you can't sleep in 20-30 min. You are supposed to stay up I think until you get sleepy. What if you don't get sleepy? Do you go back to bed anyway and try?

The is my 2nd nite of 1-2hrs of sleep and a crummy week for sleep in general. I got up at 3 and read for an hour. Went back to bed and was wide awake so I got up permanently at4:30. With sleep restriction, do you keep going back to bed, even if you're not sleepy? My problem is, once I get out of bed and go downstairs I am even more wide awake. Chance of going back to sleep is very remote. Will sleep restriction work for me?

Good morning Meee. Congratulations on sleeping. Wish I had taken unisom cuz last nite was even worse than the nite before. Tonite I will take unisom!!! You are lucky the herbal works for you. I can't take valerian. It has the opposite effect on me and makes me wired.

Isn't it amazing how a nite of sleep can make you feel. I know today will be a total waste. This whole week has been horrible. I don't know what is wrong with me, but I can't seem to sleep at all. I had been doing fairly well for a while and than this week has been the all time worst. Have no idea why. I took Nighty Night tea last nite and while it usually really helps, last nite it did nothing for me. Also took melatonin at 11:20 and slept from 1-2:30. Same as the nite before.

I wonder if I'll ever be able to sleep naturally. At 16mos off, maybe this is just how my body works....or should I say, doesn't work.

Hi Maltese

Thank you - yes I agree a night of sleep makes one feel like a whole new person.  If unisom works for you I cannot see why you don't take it.  I know we all want to sleep drug free but how long is one supposed to keep trying if it just does not happen.  I was very glad the herbal worked last night but I am still taking 10mg of Ambien so I doubt very much it would have even touched me without the Z-drug.  Like yourself insomnia is the reason I got on this Benzo journey and while I do not wish to be pessimistic I am often of the thought that when I am off it I will be back to counting sheep all night long.

I cannot drink any kind of night time tea - I would be up using the loo all night long - must be something to do with my over 50 year old bladder >:(.

From what I recall about the sleep restriction you are supposed to be up for about 1 hour should you not of been able to sleep within 20 -30min and are then supposed to go back to bed to try again.  I know that, like you, once I have got up I am awake and there is precious little chance that I will be able to go back to sleep again consequently I will be up and down all night. 

What strength melatonin do you use?  When I take it I take a 3mg regular AND a 3mg slow release dose.

I am thinking about you and wishing you a decent nights sleep (even if you have to take the unisom)

:sleepy:

Mee

Maltese,

I don't know Maltese.  I am sorry I just don't know.  I got the Sleep Restriction therapy idea from some one else here and they got it from their nuerologist I think or maybe from a sleep clinic they went to.  Basically all I am "trying" to do is get up every morning at 6 am, stay out of bed and awake and occupied until 12:00am and then attempt to sleep from 12am to 6 am.  I had heard about re-setting ones internal clock for sleep as a 20 year old.  I just heard about it.  I wasn't having any insomnia issues at the time nor has insomnia been a  part of my life except for occasionally.  When I transfered from one school to another in college I did'nt know where I would be going to school or if I would be going to school the next year.  I remember laying in bed looking at the clock turn until 3am many nights.  When I ws accepted at my next school my insomnia went away promptly.

I am not being real good with the sleep restriction.  I did it one day and slept better the next night. (4-5hours as opposed to 0-1-2)  I slept on and off last night after the second attempt at sleep restriction.  But I cheated on my time in and out of bed.  Stayed in bed until 9:00am.  Today I stayed in bed till 10:00 am and went to bed last night at 1:30am and was up at 3:00 and back to bed at 4:30am.  This is not exactly what sleep restriction is about. 

I agree that restricting the amount of time the body and mind Has the opportunity to sleep is a great idea.  On the med it was  just sleep sometimes all the time and sometimes just when ever. 

I wish I could be of more help to you.  It seems that each one of us has to find their own way and this is not an easy task.  I will tell you my heart goes out to you as well as my prayers that you do sleep well or at least have some good sleep sometime and that you are on the way to further healing.

I am new here at BB and what is doing me most good is to realize that there are others in the same boat experiencing the same symptoms as I and going through the same hell.  Be strong.  I am sorry for your plight.  Maybe the sleep restriction will help you.

Try it for seven days. 12am-6am in bed.  try to sleep for 20 mins.  If you sleep great.  If not(probably the case) get up for 20 mins do something in dim light.  Try again for 20 mins.  repeat for the 12am -6am period.  UG I know its tough.  I am finding that out.  I am also finding accepting my plight  and trying not to worry about sleeping helps.  Each one of us has different life situations to deal with and different minds and bodies.  May you soon find something that works for you. I am here for you.

God Bless You,

David

Thanks Meee. I've already decided I will take a half unisom tonite. I'm not going to bother trying to sleep naturally. I just need a good nite of sleep.

It is scary to think we are off the drugs and back to where we were before we started but that's how I feel. I've even given up wine in order to sleep. It is so weird that I was sleeping kind of ok and then this wave or something hit and I can't sleep at all.

I'm rereading The Effortless Sleep book. She says to talk in a positive way about your sleep but I can't do that right now. They also talk about how we've formed negative patterns. I don't think that's true with me. Yes, I get anxious after several days of no sleep, but most nites I am not anxious about sleeping. It is a physical thing. I either get sleepy and go to sleep, or I'm not sleepy for some reason, and I don't sleep. Prior to this week, when I awakened, I went back to sleep. Now I barely sleep and when I wake up, I'm awake for good.

Getting up just wakes me up more. Once up and active, I'm no longer sleepy. I just don't see how this sleep restriction can work for me.

I'm off to the chiropractor. Hope he adjusts me and it helps with my sleep. Sometimes it does.

Sorry we are both such a mess with sleep. I keep praying it will turn around. For you too.