Sleep Restriction therapy saved my life. An update from jittery18.

[ji...]

Hi kathi. I really think you should completely quit alcohol until you get the sleeping thing down. Alcohol metabolizes into a stimulant which is why it wakes you up in the middle of the night. My sleep psych said to be sure to avoid alcohol for a very long time. I know you love it, but wouldn't you love to sleep even more?

You are going to bed way too early for someone with a disrupted circadian rhythm. Staying up late increases your sleep drive which is very important in resetting the rhythm. Start with a 12-6 schedule. Force yourself to stay up until midnight. Walk around if you have to...take on a project to keep you busy until bedtime. When you go to bed if you can't sleep get up! Go back after 20 min. The first few weeks are rough but you'll hit a breakthrough.

If you want this you gotta do the work...no wine, no unisom, no melatonin, and no worrying about sleep! No sleep CDs in bed...nothing in bed but sleep. If you want to use the CDs do them in another room before bed but don't fall asleep listening to them.

You are conditioning your body to produce a reflexive response (sleep) in bed. Every minute you are awake in bed undoes that process.

Trust me, this works. But you have to do it right.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ma...]

• [Gl...]

• [ji...]

• [Ca...]

[ee...]

Hey there

Ok, this is not meant to be disrespectful at all, but Kathi I think you have to stop the wine altogether as well. I kind of met some of you on the tail end of my Prime Time here on BB and previously on BW.

I had sleep issues more severe than Jittery, only because they lasted for a long long time. I barely slept for a year on the drugs and trying to get off and then a good while in recovery from cold turkey from a holistic detox. I went days and days and weeks and months barely sleeping at all. Life was a living hell, I lost nearly everyone & everything. I really barely slept at all, I was a total nut case from sleep deprivation.

I'll tell you what helped me....

NOTHING

Well time and doing nothing.

I stopped obsessing about sleep, believe me that took me 14 months on then cold turkey detox in Dec 2010. It was around Sept 2011 that I believed I could be normal again.

I developed severe panic, anxiety and agoraphobia from the lack of sleep and the drug(s) on and in withdrawal. I was as close to suicide as one can come, I kid you not.

I thought my life was 100% over, I spent days and nights on BW and BB chat, I hate life and my very existence.... (prior to the Rx I was happy, healthy, successful, I had a great life)....

I didn't die from sleep deprivation but I wanted to, I begged to be taken to a better place.

Flash forward and most nights I sleep 8-9 hrs. last night I slept deep and I feel great today.

Im in Brazil with my husband and Im also back working full time. I was really down, out and a total mess.

I'll write more one day when I have a full success story.

No drug can fix this, IMO, from my experience.

Give Jittery's program a try, and eat and drink clean and healthy, walk and walk and walk when you can.

I didn't do sleep restriction, I was already living it. My sleep came back with Time, Faith and Patience.

Nothing else. I eventually believed that I could sleep, visualized sleep and health and now it's coming.

A glass of wine equating to fun is not worth it to me - I'd rather get my sleep and life back.

I noticed you mentioned post menopausal kathi, try to get a copy of Susun Weed's book on Menopause. you can pick one up on Amazon cheap

Wishing you all the best Kathi, you can do this. You have to try. I'd say try NO drugs, alcohol or supps.

Congrats Jittery!

hang in there Tina, healing is around the corner for you!

Melo x

:smitten:

Melo.. Are you sure you never took and FQ antibiotic? Sounds like what the FQ did to me. So glad you are doing well. Just switched to a raw food diet with a little meat (organic). I'm hoping it will help.

My sleep came back with Time, Faith and Patience.

Nothing else. I eventually believed that I could sleep, visualized sleep and health and now it's coming.

Hi Melo, just wanted to say that reading your experience has helped me a lot tonight. I'm personally not at a completely stable point in my sleep recovery and sometimes hope and confidence wanes. This really brought me back up :) Thankyou.

Jittery, does this help you get deep sleep? Sometimes my sleep is broken and I don't have deep sleep, only very light if not "half-sleep," where I'm not even really sleeping just like sort of the stage b/w sleep and consciousness. This is starting to wear me down.

Jittery you are right. I do have to stop the wine because sleep is the most important thing for me right now. I know it will be difficult tho I did it for about a month and was ok. I got back into it over the holidays. It is just so easy to do...especially when all your friends drink wine.....but I want to sleep. I am going to give it a couple days for my body to adjust to no wine and then start the sleep restriction. i want to do it right the first time, that's why I have so many questions. I hope it works for someone like me with chronic sleep problems. I don't know why I was able to sleep naturally for 2 weeks in early Dec. It was a miracle, but then it went away.

I think my body wants to sleep about 9pm. That is when I start to actually feel sleepy and yawny. But on this program you force yourself to stay up late. I've always had a small sleep window, where I needed to go to sleep quickly during that short sleepy period. If I went past it, I might be awake for hours or all nite. So weird. As of right now I am thinking about starting this Sunday nite. I'm supposed to go to San Diego on Thurs and spend the nite but I guess I'll have to cancel that. This is more important tho I'm sure my friends won't understand.

Thanks for all your help.

Melo thanks for your story. Congratulations on getting your life back and for finally sleeping. It sounds like a nightmare, which I know many of us have had in varying levels. I'm thankful I am no longer working or I don't think I could do this. I can feel myself getting too attached to unisom. I always try for several hours to go to sleep. If I can't I take the unisom.

You are all telling me to stop the wine so I guess I just need to tough that out too. Hope I can still be fun to my friends.

I try to eat organic as much as possible and now am going to try to eliminate sugar. I know that has a big affect on my sleep too. So many fun things to eliminate....all in the name of sleep, but health too.

Thank you everyone. I will keep you posted on the sleep restriction once I start.

Kathi

Jittery, does this help you get deep sleep? Sometimes my sleep is broken and I don't have deep sleep, only very light if not "half-sleep," where I'm not even really sleeping just like sort of the stage b/w sleep and consciousness. This is starting to wear me down.

\

Yes it does, trig. It consolidates your sleep and makes your sleep more efficacious. :)

jittery, did you read my question earlier about falling asleep at different times?  If I choose 4 as my bedtime, some nights I don't fall asleep until 6 so how does this reset my circadian rhythm?  I was going to bed at 4-6 AM for a week, but now I've been up for 2 days with no sleep at all.  I was able to get to sleep at 4-6 for 6 days and the last 2 days I tried it, I couldn't sleep.  What do you do in this case?

Glyn,

Set your bedtime to midnight and waketime at 6am. If you can't sleep after 20 min you get up and do something boring and go back to bed after 20 min and try again. You do this as many times as it takes. You may be up and down all night. You wake up at 6 no matter what. Going to bed at 4 is not good. Your rythym needs to be during normal sleep/wake hours. It has to synch with daylight and nighttime. Do not lie in bed more than 20 min awake.

This works!!!! I slept 7 hours last night!!!!!

:yippee:

Wow 7 hours - well done Jittery you have waited and persevered for such a long time.  It is very encouraging to hear first hand that Sleep Restriction works if applied correctly.  Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with us.  This is definitely one thread I am going to save for future use - although I keep hoping it won't be necessary (who am I kidding  :pokey:)

alright I'm going to try setting my bedtime earlier and see if that works.  One problem is that 12 is too early for me and I'll probably be wide awake a lot of the time.  It's worth a try though.  How long did it take before you saw an improvement?  Why is it some people can sleep all over the place at different times and never have trouble sleeping and other people need a strict schedule?  That makes no sense to me.

I know. It doesn't seem fair does it? My husbands head hits the pillow and he's out. He can sleep with the light on, take naps anywhere. He is not a calm, laid back personality but he sure can sleep. I have several friends my age that are also great sleepers. I think it has something to do with our brain wiring. I just read that insomniacs tend to have faster metabolisms. We probably tend to be hyper too. I've always been a worrier, tho not so much now.

All I know is I want some sleep. Natural sleep!

Another question..what if I gave myself from 12 AM-9 AM?  I've read that if you're on Zyprexa, you should sleep at least 10 hours a night and not cut down your dose until you're sleeping at least 10 hours.  I would give myself 9 since I'd have to go to sleep so early.

Hi Glyn. I think that is too long to start. Jittery said to do 12pm to 6 am in hopes of sleeping 6hrs. We have to be realistic as to how many hours we will sleep naturally. The first week we may not sleep much. You have to get up if you're not asleep in 20min, then go back and try again. If not asleep in 20 min again, then get up again. You keep getting up till you either fall asleep in exhaustion or the alarm rings and you have to get up till 12pm the next nite. Sounds really great doesn't it? It worked for Jittery so it is worth a try.

I'm just happy I don't have a job.

Maybe ask Jittery any details.

Kathi

The problem with that is the Zyprexa..they say you should sleep at least 10 hours a day on it and for me I want to sleep at least 8 (even though I'm barely sleeping at all right now).  When I actually fall asleep, there seems to be a 80% chance I'll sleep at least 8 hours.  Falling asleep is the main problem for me.  Since I'm on Zyprexa would it work to do a 12-9 schedule?

I can't answer that question. Need to ask Jittery but my guess is you should start with a shorter window of 6hrs and master that and then expand the number of hours. Maybe you could do 12-7 to start but you should check with Jittery. She is the expert.

My main problem is falling asleep too.

Hi Jittery:  Glad to see that SR has been a mostly positive experience for you.  I have had serious insomnia issues for years but they have been worse over the last two months.  I started taking 2 mg lunesta and that only gave me some sleep.  I feel the problem is psychological and anxiety related.  I have also tried trazodone with some success.  I think my bed gives me negative associations and once i start tossing and turning, I can become hyperaroused and anxious.  Need to leave the meds behind but even before I took lunesta, I tried melatonin and or valerian for sleep so I have strong association with some sort of pill at bed time.  The thought of little or no sleep is scary but I'm not getting much now.  I've also been prescribed an AD for depression (brought on by insomnia)  I thought it was helping but now i'm not sure.  I need strength and to quit worrying about sleep.  Easier said then down

[ee...]

Melo.. Are you sure you never took and FQ antibiotic? Sounds like what the FQ did to me. So glad you are doing well. Just switched to a raw food diet with a little meat (organic). I'm hoping it will help.

Hi Jittery - I have been anti medications most of my adult life. I have not taken an antibiotic since I was forced as a kid. I'm positive. I got sick in 2008\2009, very sick. It turned out I had undetected Lyme Disease. I got really really sick from Remeron, I know there are many people on here that don't want to hear it and have had a really wonderful fabulous experience on that garbage. I've had my experience and it was 100x worse than  the benzo was for me. I was unethically Rx'd Remeron, being told it was GI distress and NEVER told it was an AD until I went totally completely insane. Any how it was a very very long and dark phase. I'd say today I'm 90% well, I slept 8 peaceful hours last night. Also still sleeping alone, ear plugs and in a dark room, but Im OK with that - for now, it's not forever.

I am so thrilled Jittery that you are getting your life back. I am so happy for you and your little girl! Great news!

Melo x

[ee...]

Hi Melo, just wanted to say that reading your experience has helped me a lot tonight. I'm personally not at a completely stable point in my sleep recovery and sometimes hope and confidence wanes. This really brought me back up :) Thankyou.

I know you're going to be OK, I was so very sick and now I am getting so much better each day.

I am 100% sure that by two years there will be no trace of this. At 14 months out I am feeling 85-90% really.

I am thankful!

Melo x

I know you're going to be OK, I was so very sick and now I am getting so much better each day.

I am 100% sure that by two years there will be no trace of this. At 14 months out I am feeling 85-90% really.

I am thankful!

Melo x

How long did it take for your sleep to come back? I'm freaking 8 months out from a week of benzo use and slept 5 bad hours last night. I'm starting to think I have the fatal insomnia prion disease. I know how stupid that sounds but I'm actually starting to worry if I have it. My anxiety has gotten better, psychologically I'm almost normal again, but my sleep is gettting worse. I just don't understand.

A little bit of insomnia isn't that bad..you don't have the fatal insomnia or you wouldn't be sleeping at all..you should be fine just wait out the bad parts

I agree with Glyn you do not have Fatal Insomnia - it is genetic and those who have it can be hooked up to an IV 24hours a day having copious amounts of sedatives pumped through their bodies and still they do not sleep.  LOL I also thought I had it when I went 21 nights straight on Zero sleep  :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...
Glad to see a post about sleep restriction. I actually read up on this topic near the end of my taper back in 2010, and did my own SR experiment: I didn't allow myself any more than five hours for about four months. I would set my alarm for 7:00AM, then stay up until about 2:00AM and busy myself with pet projects around my apartment. I eventually got so tired that I was able to add more hours of sleep :thumbsup: I am now capable of sleeping seven or more hours on my own, but I still get waves where sleep becomes difficult again. Such is w/d...

Another update:

I started my SR program in order to get back in bed with my husband instead of sleeping in the guestroom. I had three really bad nights (5.5 hours total in three days) then I hit my breakthrough and have slept through my 12-6 three nights now. Last time it took me 8 days before I broke through. My sleep doc told me each time I did SR it would work faster. Two more nights and I get to move my bedtime to 1130.

My sleep was light and choppy but that's also to be expected. I'm confident in another week I will be sleeping solid again.

My sleep doc said to use SR like you would an ambien. If you are going on vacation or if there's a time change, etc.

I'm a true believer in this program. I'm happy to be sleeping next to my husband again.

Holy cow Jittery. That is amazing. I guess this SR really works. I know you said to start it but I just want to wait till after vacation. I don't want to be exhausted while in AZ with friends and possibly having a glass of wine. I am definitely going to do it tho.

My sleep has been really bad. A few nites ago I took a Unisom and slept 10hrs. I think that is the longest I've ever slept. It was only a half but I was so exhausted from multiple nites of minimal sleep. Something is definitely not right with me for sleep. After a yr and 2 mos I should be sleeping on my own. I've been doing a good sleep routine and now wearing a sleep mask to ensure darkness. I just take forever to get to sleep most nites. I turned off the lites at 10:30 but was in bed reading at 9. At 11:45 I was still awake....taking tryptophan and lavender on the feet. Someone suggested that. I was very relaxed, just couldn't get to sleep. Took melatonin 2.5 at midnite and finally slept till 4:30....not enuf sleep. I did a hard workout on the treadmill and had a calm day, so not sleeping just doesn't make sense.

If it takes you a long time to fall asleep I think sleep restriction will have me up all nite. I'm glad to know it took you about a week to start sleeping. I thought it was just a couple nites. If you set say 12-6 as your time, does that mean you will always be awakening at 6? What if you want your awake time to be 7? Do you go to bed at 1am instead of 12?

Thanks for all your help with this. I guess it my only option left to try. I am starting to think there is something wrong with my sleep mechanism. I've always had trouble sleeping...just never this bad. I don't feel stressed so I really don't understand this....even after all the things I've read.