Online Support....Can it make things worse?

[KR...]

I started this thread over 4 years ago. Haven't been on here in a long time. Just popping on to let everyone know that healing DOES happen and to stay positive. I know it's HARD and the whole withdrawal thing sucks a$$!! But I promise it gets better!!! I'm living proof!!!

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [KR...]

• [ja...]

• [In...]

• [Co...]

I started this thread over 4 years ago. Haven't been on here in a long time. Just popping on to let everyone know that healing DOES happen and to stay positive. I know it's HARD and the whole withdrawal thing sucks a$$!! But I promise it gets better!!! I'm living proof!!!

awesome Krock! thanks for coming back and telling us this. i am going to be 53 months after a c/t from klonopin and soma. i am definitely better but still in pretty bad shape and i still have head symptoms which really concerns me but healing is happening and it does seem like one microbe at a time. you were a cold turkey right?

Pretty

awesome Krock! thanks for coming back and telling us this. i am going to be 53 months after a c/t from klonopin and soma. i am definitely better but still in pretty bad shape and i still have head symptoms which really concerns me but healing is happening and it does seem like one microbe at a time. you were a cold turkey right?

Pretty

Yes ....I ended up doing a few cold turkeys. Not a good scenario. Complete nightmare to tell you the truth. I had akethesia off the charts. Couldn't sit still. Just paced and paced and lost a ton of weight. That shit lasted for ever. But it slowly faded and went away. Complete torture along with the other 100 symptoms I had. They all fade away over time. You have to keep your eye on the prize....and the prize is you getting back to being normal.,

Pretty

Yes ....I ended up doing a few cold turkeys. Not a good scenario. Complete nightmare to tell you the truth. I had akethesia off the charts. Couldn't sit still. Just paced and paced and lost a ton of weight. That shit lasted for ever. But it slowly faded and went away. Complete torture along with the other 100 symptoms I had. They all fade away over time. You have to keep your eye on the prize....and the prize is you getting back to being normal.,

thanks Krock. i am about 16 cold turkey's my whole life not to mention all the rapid tapers. i am a pretty bad kindling case but have had some good improvements. i can only hope for more.

Hey Jeff, I was thinking of you yesterday and wondering how you're doing.  :mybuddy:  Any lingering symptoms or are you feeling completely back to normal?

I can say with complete certainty that my not engaging with BB fully from the start and listening to the advice offered was one of the worst mistakes of my life.

By the time I re engaged after walking away, refusing to believe it could possibly take as long as people were saying, I had wrecked my health and put my employment beyond rescue.

Florida Guy.....no problem. I remember reading some of your posts when things weren't so Great for you. My how things have changed. As hard as it is to believe that healing happens when your in the worst of withdrawal. It really does. Some heal faster than others. But you have to be patient in this game....symptoms slowly fade away and life slowly gets back to normal.

Whoopsie....nice to hear from you! How's life up in Canada? Hope your doing better. As far as lingering symptoms.....I have some ringing in my ears still. I don't really think about it unless I'm laying in bed at night when its quite. I also have some morning anxiety when I first wake up. But it fades away after a hour or so. Those are the only 2 things I'm left with it. Not bad considering how BAD I was!!! So out of the 100 off the charts symptoms that I thought would NEVER go away...I have 2 left. If these 2 never go away. I'm cool with it. I'm just glad to be alive and survived that mess!!

Belfast2016.....sorry that happened to you. Be careful of what you read and listen to. That can be hard to do when your not thinking clearly do to various symptoms. When it comes to withdrawal...you have to remember that NO 2 withdrawals are the same. So NO need in freaking yourself out thinking your screwed for years just because some other member is going thru it. And even if that member is having a harder time than some. The good news is that person will heal to and be normal someday as well. I'm proof of that. I was that person. I lost a VERY high paying job during Withdrawl. So I feel you in that regards. But you HAVE  to give the whole process the time it takes to complete itself. You have NO control over it. So buckle your seatbelt and go for the ride. Just let your body do what it knows how to do. And that's heal back to a normal baseline. It happens!

Krock,

after many attempts of rapid tapers and cold turkeys from klonopin i did the cross over to valium but ended up doing another cold turkey from 30mg valium, 2mg xanax, 1750mg soma. i just read your signature and really glad to hear you only have those two symptoms left. i can't wait until more healing happens for me. thanks again for coming back. i think you are about one year ahead of me. i feel like i could take another decade or more. i hope not, but that is how it feels right now.

Pretty

Krock,

after many attempts of rapid tapers and cold turkeys from klonopin i did the cross over to valium but ended up doing another cold turkey from 30mg valium, 2mg xanax, 1750mg soma. i just read your signature and really glad to hear you only have those two symptoms left. i can't wait until more healing happens for me. thanks again for coming back. i think you are about one year ahead of me. i feel like i could take another decade or more. i hope not, but that is how it feels right now.

Pretty

Try to surrender to the process. As hard as that is to do......you have to. When I still had a handful of really bad symptoms. I started telling myself Fuck it.....if I have to live with what's remaining. Then fine. God must of wanted me this way. I was so over fighting everything.....I was just beat down and tired. Time passed and more symptoms went away. You have NO control over how long it takes. So try and live life as normal as your symptoms let you. Keep distracting yourself and try not to focus on it. You have a great life ahead of you. Just keep going!

Whoopsie....nice to hear from you! How's life up in Canada? Hope your doing better. As far as lingering symptoms.....I have some ringing in my ears still. I don't really think about it unless I'm laying in bed at night when its quite. I also have some morning anxiety when I first wake up. But it fades away after a hour or so. Those are the only 2 things I'm left with it. Not bad considering how BAD I was!!! So out of the 100 off the charts symptoms that I thought would NEVER go away...I have 2 left. If these 2 never go away. I'm cool with it. I'm just glad to be alive and survived that mess!!

I am so happy to hear this news.  I'm smiling big for you.  Wow, we really went thru the H together in the BB chatroom all those years ago.  Thank you for coming back to visit and cheer people on.

:smitten:

Florida Guy.....no problem. I remember reading some of your posts when things weren't so Great for you. My how things have changed. As hard as it is to believe that healing happens when your in the worst of withdrawal. It really does. Some heal faster than others. But you have to be patient in this game....symptoms slowly fade away and life slowly gets back to normal.

I hope you are right. I have seen some progress myself so I still have faith in the healing process but sometimes it's hard having been sick for so long.

Krock,

Pretty

Try to surrender to the process. As hard as that is to do......you have to. When I still had a handful of really bad symptoms. I started telling myself Fuck it.....if I have to live with what's remaining. Then fine. God must of wanted me this way. I was so over fighting everything.....I was just beat down and tired. Time passed and more symptoms went away. You have NO control over how long it takes. So try and live life as normal as your symptoms let you. Keep distracting yourself and try not to focus on it. You have a great life ahead of you. Just keep going!

okay, i will. thanks so much Krock! :)

Hello my bestie I'm proud to see you helping others because God knows you have been through it! As do I! So glad you are out of this ! Nice your back Living everyday

• 3 weeks later...

Krock,

I'm glad to see that you have healed.  You were in such a bad place, but you were not alone.  Two symptoms left! That is aweseome, you are doing really well.  Thanks for coming back and sharing.

• 3 weeks later...

Krock,

I'm glad to see that you have healed.  You were in such a bad place, but you were not alone.  Two symptoms left! That is aweseome, you are doing really well.  Thanks for coming back and sharing.

Hey Welly.....long time ...no see. What a complete nightmare this whole withdrawl thing is!!! There was no way in hell i ever thought i would get better!!!

Thanks to you and everyone thats walked thru this nightmare before me and made it through......you  gave me the strength and courage to push through and believe!!. Because i was scared out of my mind for a long time! Straight teriffied!

I remember someone telling me when i was fresh into my cold turkey. They said " if you dont believe in God.....you will by the time this is over!"

Thats NO shit!! Im so happy i made it through....it just takes that mean word.....TIME!

• 1 month later...

I know Holidays can be tuff on everyone while going through withdrawal. As much as you want to feel better for everyone it's just not always in the cards. Try not to put to much pressure on yourself. Treat yourself gentle.....you ALL deserve it. You've been through hell I know.

I want to reassure all of you that what your experiencing will go away. As hard as is it to believe sometimes....it's true. I would never lie or mislead any of you about any of this..Some heal quicker than others....but in the end....you WILL heal. 

Keep pushing forward. Your ALL very strong and brave!! If I made it through....so can YOU!

• 2 weeks later...

Try to avoid the horror stories. You can find them by the title . That's one reason why I visit Off Topic. Why not give this a try?

Smart girl!! Avoiding horror stories is key. Their story is not your story. Everyone withdrawals differently. As you get further along in your recovery....the horror stories won't freak you out like they do in the early phases of withdrawal. I was a horror story once upon a time. Not any more. You guys will heal to.

Try and stay close to positive caring people. You need this while your healing.

Try to avoid the horror stories. You can find them by the title . That's one reason why I visit Off Topic. Why not give this a try?

Smart girl!! Avoiding horror stories is key. Their story is not your story. Everyone withdrawals differently. As you get further along in your recovery....the horror stories won't freak you out like they do in the early phases of withdrawal. I was a horror story once upon a time. Not any more. You guys will heal to.

Try and stay close to positive caring

ng people. You need this while your healing.

Aw shucks... good reply :thumbsup:

I completely agree.  Many people write on here when they are at their worst.  When you stop anti anxiety medication, you get rebound anxiety.  This rebound anxiety can manifest itself into symptoms of many different anxiety disorders.  Hypochondria, agoraphobia, OCD, social anxiety, generalized anxiety, and specific phobias.  The only thing that makes these situations worse is reinforcement.  By constantly checking the support section, you not only reinforce your own anxiety symptoms but you will start to develop what's called anticipatory anxiety.  You begin to anticipate the onset of symptoms that may never materialize in your specific set of circumstances.  Thereby, you will begin to expect them or even believe that you have them as a result. 

There are many people who are experiencing withdrawal on their own.  They have little or no support around them.  This is obviously why people join these boards.  The problem is that the negativity far outweighs the positivity in the stories you read.  This leads to a constantly perpetuating circle of negative reinforcement.  This is the exact reason why those who have successfully overcome benzo withdrawal instruct us to stay active and focus on only positive situations.  This is easier said then done in many circumstances when people are not able to be as active as they would like.  However, the point is still valid.  You have to believe you will get better in order to do so.

To reiterate Krock's point, no two withdrawals are the same.  Neither are the methods in getting off these medications.  Not everyone will have success in the Ashton/Valium method.  She herself states that this may not be the best way to withdrawal from benzos.  It worked for many of her patients in her clinic in Oldham.  However, we have access to compounding pharmacies and liquid versions of all the benzos today.  Valium has the ability to cause severe depression.  Withdrawal itself is known to cause its own levels of depression.  Because of this potentially negative combination, the type of medication you taper from is far more important of a decision then the speed in my opinion.

The importance of this forum is significant but so are the responsibilities of the members using it.  Since you do not know the exact circumstances of the people you are advising, it's best to limit that advice to moral support and not prescriptive or suggestive interference. 

Christopher

Wow.  This is an excellent post, beautifully written and wise.  Thank you Christopher!

• 3 months later...
Everyone needs to remember that the withdrawal lies to you. It makes you think your screwed forever and your not. The duratiion and suffering plays tricks on your brain.....but it all fades away....give your brain time to repair itself......some heal quicker than others......but you do heal... Promise!!!!

• 1 year later...
Just popping in again to let everyone know that you will heal...Keep pushing forward and believe. If it wasn’t true I would tell you. I had a very EXTREME case of Benzo withdrawal. Cold turkey....Detox centers...reinstatements...you name it...I went through it. What a mess!! I will NEVER forget what I went through. It was life changing. But I’m here to tell you that you will make it through this deal. Promise. You all have great lives ahead of you. Just hold on until the nightmare passes.....and it will. Godbless all of you and be safe!