Online Support....Can it make things worse?

[KR...]

In a lot of ways the internet is still like the wild west. This is both a good and a bad thing. It's up to individuals to realize this, to keep things in perspective and do what it takes to filter the good information from the bad, taking what helps and leaving the rest.

Basically, it is what you make of it.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [KR...]

• [ja...]

• [In...]

• [Co...]

Hope,

Yes, that is me-matter of fact, direct, and to the point. I guess a lot of us forget people get emotional/upset on benzos.

I actually got tired of doing all the calling and emailing for that particular group which kind of made me all the more direct as I started telling others to call for themselves, and giving out the phone numbers which are on manufacturers websites.

Since these K generics became such an issue, I started checking the introductions sections to see what benzo people joining were on. Yesterday, there were 4 introductions, and all were on some kind of generic K. Not everyday, but at least 1 out of 4 on some days. I tend to get a bit blunt myself when I’m worn out like I’ve been and posted that way.

Oh well, time for me to get on with life. I’m become extremely benzo sensitized so I sure don’t need people panicking. I’m rattled myself, but it really comes down to my doctor and what’s available at the pharmacy. You seem to be doing well. I hope that continues for you. You’re a lot closer than I am to getting off. Thanks for your response.

FG,

I agree with you. I sure don’t get all these new “things” on the internet, but I do get (understand) BB. Pretty straightforward as far as structure.

But not Facebook, Twitter, apps, you name it.

But all is quiet on the “western front” as far as those 2 groups. I feel better about that.

I never joined any other support groups like FB or anything else while in withdrawal. I was a train wreck for the most part....so I just sort of just stuck with what I knew here on BB.

This site is way different than it was back in the day. It use to have live group chat rooms where people could say whatever they want to each other in real time 24/7.. Monitoring that feature was some what of a challenge....so they opted to remove it. I think it was both a good and bad feature...depending on who was chatting.

I also heard of a few other online support sites that came and went. But truth be told....I read my share of stuff on BB that scared me to death. There's nothing pretty about this process. It leaves a lot of chaos in its trail.

At the end of the day...I received the support here I needed to make it through this mess. I'm glad they put up with me throughout my withdrawal ....I had my share of issues.. Looking back....my central nervous system was WAY over active and excited due to the withdrawal. I probably over reacted to a lot of things on here that wouldn't bother me now.

Depending on what stage of withdrawal your in...makes a big diff on how you interpret things online.

I never joined any other support groups like FB or anything else while in withdrawal. I was a train wreck for the most part....so I just sort of just stuck with what I knew here on BB.

This site is way different than it was back in the day. It use to have live group chat rooms where people could say whatever they want to each other in real time 24/7.. Monitoring that feature was some what of a challenge....so they opted to remove it. I think it was both a good and bad feature...depending on who was chatting.

I also heard of a few other online support sites that came and went. But truth be told....I read my share of stuff on BB that scared me to death. There's nothing pretty about this process. It leaves a lot of chaos in its trail.

At the end of the day...I received the support here I needed to make it through this mess. I'm glad they put up with me throughout my withdrawal ....I had my share of issues.. Looking back....my central nervous system was WAY over active and excited due to the withdrawal. I probably over reacted to a lot of things on here that wouldn't bother me now.

Depending on what stage of withdrawal your in...makes a big diff on how you interpret things online.

Without quoting your OP, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for this thread. Fantastic.

I am also part of a Facebook group and it is okay, but I can't follow individual people.  There are posts from people and I never recognize the name and have no idea anything about their history.  Having a signature on BB and a way to see someone's previous posts really makes a difference.  To be honest, I think I like forums in general, as a way to communicate, more than Facebook.  I feel like things are much better organized and easier to find on a forum. 

GC,

I sure agree with that. I don’t understand Facebook at all. And I’m not “stupid” if you’ll pardon that word.

I literally do not get it. I joined a benzo Facebook group called beating benzos which is a closed group as they usually are.

And then I was invited to join a Facebook group called “living with idiopathic subglottic stenosis “ because I have that. It’s a rare disorder that affects breathing primarily but also affects voice and swallowing ability.

And by golly, whenever I logged on, I had all these friend requests from so many different people that I couldn’t tell which “friend” came from which group. I sure didn’t want them to “friend” anyone from a benzo group that belonged to the other group. It was just impossible to tell one closed group from the closed group. And I got so...mixed up anyway.

This is where 8 year old kids come in handy. They get everything these days. BB is very well structured.

NM,

But you did just quote the OP. Confused a bit. Could you explain?

OP = Original Poster or Original Post. So, NMSafe might have been referring to the original post to the thread rather than the individual (followup) post s/he quoted from KRock. It seems that some people also take OP to mean 'opening post'. So, OP has a somewhat ambiguous definition.

Colin,

I did understand that OP meant the original poster, KRock. But maybe as you say, NM meant “original post to the thread” or “opening post.” It is somewhat ambiguous. Interesting responses anyway.

NM,

The original post. I did quote the original poster; sorry for the confusion. 😊

NM,

OP = Original Poster or Original Post. So, NMSafe might have been referring to the original post to the thread rather than the individual (followup) post s/he quoted from KRock. It seems that some people also take OP to mean 'opening post'. So, OP has a somewhat ambiguous definition.

Yes, Colin. Thank you. 😊

The opening post reminded me of Cypher, the guy that chose to forget all about the harsh reality of their lives and stay in the Matrix so that he could live an illusory but more pleasurable life.

• 3 months later...
Just wanted to pop in and wish everyone here a Merry Christmas. Please know that your pain and suffering will go away.  A normal life awaits you. Be patient and kind to yourself.... its coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi KROCK,

Couldn't agree more with you. It is hard to be patient with the process of withdrawal - but worth the energy. Best to you!  Hanna

• 2 weeks later...

libr,

I definitely agree with what you said. When online support  becomes discouraging, it’s doing more harm than good. Just love some of the stuff posted on Benzos in the news.

• 3 months later...

The answer to the title of this thread is simple. Anything that has the potential to help also has the potential to harm.

[/quo

That goes for everything in life.

• 3 weeks later...

And how do you find BB? You can be as frank as you wish. :)

There is an overwhelming focus on "horror stories" that obviously increases anxiety and apprehension for many, if not most, folks who come to this site.

And how do you find BB? You can be as frank as you wish. :)

There is an overwhelming focus on "horror stories" that obviously increases anxiety and apprehension for many, if not most, folks who come to this site.

I personally feel that way about Benzos in the News. Article after article that does about the same thing; to me anyway.

That's another aspect of this sites pervasive negative focus.  Instead of concentrating on tools to recover, it focuses on the "evils" of the drug.

The site has a stated policy of not being anti-med or anti-doctor, but those posts appear every day, and that policy is clealy ignored by moderators.

That's another aspect of this sites pervasive negative focus.  Instead of concentrating on tools to recover, it focuses on the "evils" of the drug.

The site has a stated policy of not being anti-med or anti-doctor, but those posts appear every day, and that policy is clealy ignored by moderators.

Builder,

We are volunteers who work part time and none of us can read every post on the forum.  I certainly can't.  So we depend on members to report offending posts to us.  When they do, we decide if the reported post breaks the rules or not.  But we try not to over-moderate the forum, and usually let members settle minor spats between themselves.

That's how it works.  Many of the posts we moderate involve anti doctor and anti medication posts, so we definitely do not ignore the issue.

Megan