Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Thanks Kiddo I just know how bad w/d can be and Im really not wanting to go through that again. Hopefully Im going slow enough this time. Thanks for the support. Im a worrier and let small things get to me sometimes. I guess its not best to obsess about what could be and take it one day at a time.

Omni, I'm very sorry, I didn't mean to cause you any panic or worries about your taper. You're going to do a great job this time, and you're going to go slowly enough to succeed this time!

Good luck starting tommorrow, you can do this :smitten:

Saga Thanks for the good wishes  :smitten: No need to apologize, Im just a huge worry wort. I obsess and overthink things a lot, so I'm to blame. I wish I wasn't like that, but that's just how my brain works. Gotta try and keep myself in check  :thumbsup:

Im titrating a 0.015mg a day,That will be 1% of my dose daily.I have my first days batch already made at 99% of the original strength, and then that's divided into my 3 daily doses.Hopefully I can titrate at this rate,but realize 95% of people are going slower, so I might have to slow down. I just don't know how much more accurate I can be with my cuts.

Omni, this is just my experience and from some of what I've read. I do know a lot of people have great success with daily titration, however if you are cutting too large an amount it can build up over time and hit you, hard, without much expectation. Thing is, cuts generally tend to be felt over time, say a couple of days after, and if your daily titrating too large amount this can build up real quick. Also, daily titraters generally need to take holds every once in awhile. Just giving you a heads up. I don't know how dependent your body is to Ativan but I think 1% is much too quick.

I cut ativan at ~15% each week, which corresponds to about 2% per day. When I cut more than 15% week, it hit me hard, sometimes I had to cut less, but overall, through much of my taper, my target was 15% per week. How much to cut varies from person to person.  Having read through many ativan wd signatures, I might be inclined to say that 1% may not necessarily be too quick. You will find your own path.

The difference though is that you cut, being able to monitor your bodies response within those 7 to 14 days or whatever. With daily titration you could possibly get hit very hard without too much warning or feedback from your body. But I cannot disagree, everyone's different.

Laser, regarding your recovery, are you able to engage in physical activity somewhat to the same extent pre benzos?

Daily titration and cut and hold certainly have different features, but I would think that even with daily titration, a bad move would be felt within a short time frame. Short enough to make the necessary adjustment.  I now engage in strenuous exercise pretty regularly; at this point I might be as bold to say that my strength and endurance are just about 100% (of my pre-benzp level). But I pushed myself to exercise all through my taper, even in the worst of times I went out surfing, cycling, and pushed myself as hard as I could until the benzo beast pushed back. 10 days ago I went backpacking/climbing with my daughter above 10,000 ft, we had an agressive itinerary and succesfully hit our target. :)

I'm so happy to hear that. You just put a huge smile on my face and gave me incredible hope. I had read your post on kiddos blog. I'm so glad for you. I'm sure life must be great on the other side.

All my muay thai buddies are asking me what's wrong and why I'm never in class anymore. I have to tell them lies about some "illness"  that I'm going through, and I should be back in no time. I long for the days I can get back to proper exercise and feel the adrenaline without having a week long panic attack.

Hi Nolan,

I'm very sorry I misunderstood your question. You have reinstated, but you're asking about tapering with one nightly dose versus dividing the doses during the day. So sorry...

If you've only taken it as nighttime dose, it's very possible you could taper this way. One of the moderator, Juliea did this, she used Xanax and tapered with a single nightly dose.

I'd say start this way if you like, if it's not working out you can always divide the doses later. Best of luck to you :smitten:

Saga

Thank you for the encouragement Saga ! :) 

Hi gang, the prodigal forum member has returned. I've had a difficult time adjusting to an AD for the severe depressive episode after my surgery, so had to delay my taper plans. So the new pdoc I've started working with hates Ativan and wants to start cutting in 25% chunks.( She love Klonopin and no issue ordering that ongoingly , but I really don't want to switch since I've read about Klonopin and how it binds to receptor sites more tightly etc.)My G.P had fortunately offered to order Ativan for me for a more sensible tapered if the pdoc suggested this, since she ordered it for me initially. I  have posted a question on the tapering advice section if some of you would not mind taking a look at my math and my plan. I am was thinking to do 5% cuts per week ( using scale). ( I have 0.5mg tabs) Take total of 1 mg in divided doses per day. If you think I can start with an initial larger cut , ( under 10%) please advise. Thanks very much for all the past guidance from people on this board especially Kiddo, Saga , and Laserjet. I am anxious and nervous about embarking on this tapering journey and appreciate that I have the support of BB and everyone on this board. Congrats to all of you for progress thus far and all your wise advice. Thanks!

Thanks Kiddo. I replied on the Tapering board that I am dividing my doses daily. Just need to confirm if my math is correct. Thanks

Thanks for your input, Laser. You know how much I love it when you pop by  :smitten:

aw shucks  :-[

I love it when you stop in too! Great to hear about life down the road! I didn't realize you only dosed once a day!

Hi gang, the prodigal forum member has returned. I've had a difficult time adjusting to an AD for the severe depressive episode after my surgery, so had to delay my taper plans. So the new pdoc I've started working with hates Ativan and wants to start cutting in 25% chunks.( She love Klonopin and no issue ordering that ongoingly , but I really don't want to switch since I've read about Klonopin and how it binds to receptor sites more tightly etc.)My G.P had fortunately offered to order Ativan for me for a more sensible tapered if the pdoc suggested this, since she ordered it for me initially. I  have posted a question on the tapering advice section if some of you would not mind taking a look at my math and my plan. I am was thinking to do 5% cuts per week ( using scale). ( I have 0.5mg tabs) Take total of 1 mg in divided doses per day. If you think I can start with an initial larger cut , ( under 10%) please advise. Thanks very much for all the past guidance from people on this board especially Kiddo, Saga , and Laserjet. I am anxious and nervous about embarking on this tapering journey and appreciate that I have the support of BB and everyone on this board. Congrats to all of you for progress thus far and all your wise advice. Thanks!

Hi Judy,

Glad you're back and ready to tackle the Ativan! Yes, that guys a little nuts about the cut amount...I did that w/o knowing any better and it sent me to crazytown.... I echo your sentiments about the Klonopin for the same reason.  Glad you have someone on board to help prescribe.

I would begin with a 5% cut like you're planning. It's always better to cut small, and see how it goes for you. Cut rate can be very flexible, but I'd get a feel for tapering first at the lower rate.

Your math is solid  :thumbsup:

You know we will be here with lots of support along the way or just to listen if you need to vent. :smitten:

Saga

Thanks so much Saga! Praying for your continual healing.

Thanks Judy! I'm having a really fantastic 3 day window...while I know it won't last- it's given me hope for the future  :)

Hi all. I posted a question re: my next weeks taper cut in the tapering forum. Could someone please check my math to see if I figured it out correctly? I just wanted to confirm since I'll be cutting from a different weight pill next week since the pills in this RX bottle had varied weights. Thanks so much!

Hi Judy,

You may not think math is your subject, but you've got it right  :thumbsup: I know what you're saying though, I had my hubby do all my math...I'm truly terrible, but he was able to teach me a few things!

I still ask him to confirm when I'm answering a question just in case :laugh:

Saga

Hi... I am on 3 mg of Watson brand ativan in bad tolerance w/d.  The ativan just started turning on me.  My doc advised to try name brand to see if I can stabilize.  I can't wait to get off this drug.  Should I try it?  Does being stable to begin with help?  I can't even make it to my doctors appt.  Also, is bioidentical progesterone cream really that bad?  I have no ovaries and felt so calm when I was prego.  Thanks for any advice.  This is hard and scary.  :-\

Hi dljjj,

Welcome to the thread! I quickly read your posts. I'm sorry you're having a terrible time. Tolerance is hideous . The best thing you can do is to taper off the Ativan. Your specific question is the difference between brands, I think it's the Ativan in general that's the problem. I'm not certain how switching brands could possibly make you stable.

Tolerance means you keep needing more of the drug to have the same effect. You're at that point, it sounds like, where your current dose is not working. You said you can't take Valium, switching to Xanax is not the answer, in my opinion. Getting off the Ativan is the answer.

Tapering is hard and scary, yes, you're right. I've just completed a 7 month direct taper, so it can be done.i began in tolerance, was never stable. In my opinion, the only way to achieve stability would be to switch to Valium or go up in your dose. Bit then you'd have to come back down. It's a conundrum I faced as well. I chose to begin tapering directly, and left myself the option to cross to Valium if I was stuck. I know you want a way out of this, but I don't think there's an easy answer.

About the hormonal use, I don't have enough knowledge, and if you need it, use it, in my opinion. I honestly don't believe it a a problem but there is a hormonal support group who could better answer your question about the bio identical hormones.

So I'm not sure if I've helped or not, I see you're already dosing 4x a day which is great, given the short half life of Ativan. All I can advise is to begin a slow taper to free you from the pain of tolerance.

I'll be happy to answer more questions, but right now I'm simply trying to get a feel for your situation, and explain my take on what I feel is happening. :smitten:

Saga

Hi Judy,

You may not think math is your subject, but you've got it right  :thumbsup: I know what you're saying though, I had my hubby do all my math...I'm truly terrible, but he was able to teach me a few things!

Saga

Thanks Saga; are you referring to my 2nd question on the Tapering board? I wanted to make sure the planned cut for next week was right , Since I'm cutting 5% from a different weight of pill.

Hi dljjj,

Welcome to the thread! I quickly read your posts. I'm sorry you're having a terrible time. Tolerance is hideous . The best thing you can do is to taper off the Ativan. Your specific question is the difference between brands, I think it's the Ativan in general that's the problem. I'm not certain how switching brands could possibly make you stable.

Tolerance means you keep needing more of the drug to have the same effect. You're at that point, it sounds like, where your current dose is not working. You said you can't take Valium, switching to Xanax is not the answer, in my opinion. Getting off the Ativan is the answer.

Tapering is hard and scary, yes, you're right. I've just completed a 7 month direct taper, so it can be done.i began in tolerance, was never stable. In my opinion, the only way to achieve stability would be to switch to Valium or go up in your dose. Bit then you'd have to come back down. It's a conundrum I faced as well. I chose to begin tapering directly, and left myself the option to cross to Valium if I was stuck. I know you want a way out of this, but I don't think there's an easy answer.

About the hormonal use, I don't have enough knowledge, and if you need it, use it, in my opinion. I honestly don't believe it a a problem but there is a hormonal support group who could better answer your question about the bio identical hormones.

So I'm not sure if I've helped or not, I see you're already dosing 4x a day which is great, given the short half life of Ativan. All I can advise is to begin a slow taper to free you from the pain of tolerance.

I'll be happy to answer more questions, but right now I'm simply trying to get a feel for your situation, and explain my take on what I feel is happening. :smitten:

Saga

Hey saga, given my history,  being on my highest dose for only 5 days then reducing, and reducing again, and one last time, for a total of one month, and then dropping off. Only to experience severe w/d a week after c/t, what exactly happened in my case? I must have not hit tolerance because I was always lowering my dose, especially from the start. Any ideas??

Hi Cosmic,

Honestly I don't really have any ideas except the pull of these drugs is SO strong. I believe it was simply dependence happening quickly rather than tolerance.

Good for you moving in the right direction! Before you know it you'll be done :smitten:

Saga

Hi Judy,

Saga

Thanks Saga; are you referring to my 2nd question on the Tapering board? I wanted to make sure the planned cut for next week was right , Since I'm cutting 5% from a different weight of pill.

Sorry Judy, forgot to answer! Yes, I meant your second question. I have some advice however,don't be planning your cuts ahead until you've seen a pattern. Try to get a feel for how your body respond to each reduction. Deciding to cut every week in advance is NOT how I'd advise you to begin a taper. Listening to your body is important when you begin a taper :smitten:

Hi Judy,

Saga

Sorry Judy, forgot to answer! Yes, I meant your second question. I have some advice however,don't be planning your cuts ahead until you've seen a pattern. Try to get a feel for how your body respond to each reduction. Deciding to cut every week in advance is NOT how I'd advise you to begin a taper. Listening to your body is important when you begin a taper :smitten:

Thanks Saga. Yes I do plan on gaging my response first before deciding when and how much to cut next. I just wanted to make sure my math was correct going forward, since I will be tapering from pils of a different weight. Thanks again !

I would love to know does any of you heard about Pharmacies that condition your Ativan dose Into "other pills". By other pills I mean tailored dosed pills.

Such as :

- 1st pill :  0,50mg ATivan

- 2nd pill : 0,495mg Ativan

-3rd pill : 0,490 mg Ativan

-4th pill : 0,485mg

And son on Until The Last Pill : 0,005mg ?

This would be just so easier than liquid tapering ourself the Ativan !!

I would love to know does any of you heard about Pharmacies that condition your Ativan dose Into "other pills". By other pills I mean tailored dosed pills.

Such as :

- 1st pill :  0,50mg ATivan

- 2nd pill : 0,495mg Ativan

-3rd pill : 0,490 mg Ativan

-4th pill : 0,485mg

And son on Until The Last Pill : 0,005mg ?

This would be just so easier than liquid tapering ourself the Ativan !!

Yes Nolan, I believe they're called compounding pharmacies. I've heard several discussions here about the ability to make the capsules, but as I recall, the price was quite expensive.

I don't know much about the liquid Ativan, it seems as though it would be fairly simple to use. I imagine you could easily check into the compounding pharmacy if you're tired of the liquid. :smitten:

Thank you Saga! I read that you're freshly off the Benzo! Hope you are doing well  :smitten: 

I will ask my doc at my next appointment if she can prescribe me compound pharmacy. If not that's no the end of the world but Right now I'm liquid tapering (I might not use the correct term : liquid? "). I dissolve Half a tabs of Ativan (Lorazepam 1mg), so 0,5mg in 100ml of water. Therefore the dose I take are not extremely accurate.

Currently I'm at 0,480 mg.  I'm feeling OK. And I won't speed up the tapering. Do not want to be too greedy with the pace :angel:

Thank you Saga! I read that you're freshly off the Benzo! Hope you are doing well  :smitten: 

I will ask my doc at my next appointment if she can prescribe me compound pharmacy. If not that's no the end of the world but Right now I'm liquid tapering (I might not use the correct term : liquid? "). I dissolve Half a tabs of Ativan (Lorazepam 1mg), so 0,5mg in 100ml of water. Therefore the dose I take are not extremely accurate.

Currently I'm at 0,480 mg.  I'm feeling OK. And I won't speed up the tapering. Do not want to be too greedy with the pace :angel:

Thanks Nolan, yes, day 26 off but who's counting, haha. I'm doing ok, as you know, it's a long road...but anyway,thanks!

Listen, are you dissolving the Ativan in a tiny(1 ml) amount of vodka? I don't want to alarm you, but I believe the vodka would help creat a true suspension. I'm not certain Ativan is water soluble.

I'm glad you're planning to take your time. I really want you to be successful and stay off for good. By all means, check into the compounding. :smitten:

Saga

Saga,

Did you dry cut taper?  Or, did you c/o at some point?

Try

Hi Try,

I did a direct taper from Ativan. I was prepared to do a crossover if needed, but I managed to make it through a direct taper. I see now, you've switched over to Klonopin! If you're doing a crossover, sometimes it takes awhile to feel the effects of a new drug.

I did dry cut my pills, I used a  Gemimi Pro gram scale when I reached .75 Good luck with your taper :smitten: