Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Green you have an unusual usage history. What kind of w/d symptoms were you going through? I've never seen someone with random dosing like that pick a number to taper and move on from there. Were the w/d so strong that you couldn't just stop taking Ativan and they'd dissappear?

The reason I ask is because you weren't even using 0.5 per day, far from it actually. To start off at 0.5 every day you would be furthering your dependency no?

I was having all the usual w/d symptoms. They were pretty bad. I tried to go without it for a few days but couldn't manage. Looking back now maybe if I stuck it out longer I might have been able to but I was panicking and couldn't believe what was happening to me. And I didn't just pick an amount to start from. That was the amount I took 99% of the time I had to drop Ativan. Once I started daily dosing it took me a while to even stabilize on 0.5mg. I believe I was already dependant before I started daily.

Hmm that's interesting. I would have been extremely curious to see how your body woulda responded to a 0.3 stabilize or a figure similar to that. Because although you had been using 0.5 tabs, 90 mg over 4.5 years is quite a large gap.

I haz a question. Im on multiple meds for other things and was wondering if there would be any harm in taking my Ativan solution with my other meds. Or should I play it safe and not eat/take other meds 30 minutes before/after taking the Ativan solution?

Sigh, there are so many variables that could potential effect dosing  :o

As Saga suggested, the best option is to ask medical person. From my experience, I think I didnt have problems taking Ativan with Effexor XR in the morning.

wow, my experience last night was ineffable, but so powerful that i feel i need to attempt to express myself here.

a part of me says not to even think about it ever again and forget it ever happened, but here i go.

These dream/nightmares were so bizarre, eerie, yet frightening. Firstly, my nightmare began so vivid and real it was hard to differentiate reality and dream. The nightmare ended with me having a real panic attack, derealisation so heavy i felt completely disassociated. As i began to lose consciousness in my dream from the panic attack i woke up immediately with severe tinnitus, accompanied by chest and back nerve burn so unpleasant it felt like my skin was boiling off.

it took me a good 3 and a half hours to fall back asleep, only to drift off into a similar experience. Now this nightmare was equally as vivid, and real. There were so many dimensions to this nightmare i never thought id break free. Within every nightmare i was conscious that i was dreaming, each so real and scary i knew i had to snap out of it. When i managed to break free from the nightmare and woke up, i realized i was only in another nightmare. Same experience. Thing is, every nightmare was so vivid i was having difficulty differentiating reality and dream at this point. It was so powerful i felt that i was never going to get out of it and i would never know the difference between dream and reality. This went on for hours. Looping in and out of dreams, even waking up 2-3 times and drifting back off to sleep immediately.

its very difficult for me to try and explain this experience. It was very unpleasant, most probably the worst nightmare i have ever had in my life.

Have any of you ever had a similar experience?

Good morning Cosmic - that sounds absolutely dreadful. How are you feeling this morning? I have vivid and disturbing nightmares pretty constantly, especially the ones where it feels like I'm awake. They are confusing and frightening for sure. I find by telling myself that "dreaming means I'm in REM sleep which means I'm healing" always helps. Don't freak yourself out thinking it's "a break from reality" it's simply lucid dreaming. Frightening but harmless  :smitten:

Good morning Cosmic - that sounds absolutely dreadful. How are you feeling this morning? I have vivid and disturbing nightmares pretty constantly, especially the ones where it feels like I'm awake. They are confusing and frightening for sure. I find by telling myself that "dreaming means I'm in REM sleep which means I'm healing" always helps. Don't freak yourself out thinking it's "a break from reality" it's simply lucid dreaming. Frightening but harmless  :smitten:

Kiddo, are your sleeps broken up by symptoms? That seems to be something thats been plaguing me from the beginning. its always that dreadful 1.5 hours after falling asleep.

Im feeling ok, a little shocked i guess. more fatigued than anything hahahah that wasnt refreshing whatsoever.

Cosmic - yes, my sleep is broken from it. I'm always hit with it after a cut for a few days and then back to just regular bizarre dreams  :idiot: 

wow, my experience last night was ineffable, but so powerful that i feel i need to attempt to express myself here.

a part of me says not to even think about it ever again and forget it ever happened, but here i go.

These dream/nightmares were so bizarre, eerie, yet frightening. Firstly, my nightmare began so vivid and real it was hard to differentiate reality and dream. The nightmare ended with me having a real panic attack, derealisation so heavy i felt completely disassociated. As i began to lose consciousness in my dream from the panic attack i woke up immediately with severe tinnitus, accompanied by chest and back nerve burn so unpleasant it felt like my skin was boiling off.

it took me a good 3 and a half hours to fall back asleep, only to drift off into a similar experience. Now this nightmare was equally as vivid, and real. There were so many dimensions to this nightmare i never thought id break free. Within every nightmare i was conscious that i was dreaming, each so real and scary i knew i had to snap out of it. When i managed to break free from the nightmare and woke up, i realized i was only in another nightmare. Same experience. Thing is, every nightmare was so vivid i was having difficulty differentiating reality and dream at this point. It was so powerful i felt that i was never going to get out of it and i would never know the difference between dream and reality. This went on for hours. Looping in and out of dreams, even waking up 2-3 times and drifting back off to sleep immediately.

its very difficult for me to try and explain this experience. It was very unpleasant, most probably the worst nightmare i have ever had in my life.

Yes.

Something extremely similar happened to me once when tapering Ativan (and I was already on a low dose at that point). Most powerful vivid frightening nightmare of my life. Plus all the other characteristics you describe. Fortunately all that insanity comes to an end as the drug leaves our system and normal brain homesostasis returns. I had a lot of complete dissociative feelings while tapering, not just during said nightmare scenario, but extreme DP/DR like a bad bad out of control LSD trip. The key was not to let it frighten me, and it usually didn't. From my younger days, I was very familiar with (euphoric) dissociative feelings, so it was an easy jump for me to accept the ativan-fueled dysphoric dissociation. Acceptance didnt stop the experience, but it prevented my mind from escalating it to a runaway panic situation.

My dreaming is back to normal now and so will yours.

Honestly, Cosmic, that sounds perfectly horrid! I've had some very lucid dreams/ nightmares, but nothing like you and Laser are describing. Just something else for me to think about at night  ;D

Thanks for the responses guys

Tweed Did you have to get a prescription to have it compounded?

I just get my prescription from my doc like normal and then bring it to the compound pharmacy. I get a 2 month prescription. He's on board with what I'm doing. He finds it hard to believe that I can't just quit but I'm not surprised by that. The liquid has really made this much easier for me on many levels. Making my doses is now a breeze. I make 2 days worth at a time. Takes about 10-15 minutes. I have like 6 film style canisters that I add the doses to and then put them in the fridge. I take one at 7:30am before I leave for work. One I bring with me and take at 3:30pm and then I take the last one at 11:30pm before bed. Pretty simple. So far.

Saga and Kiddo....thanks so much for your previous responses!

Long days with a fair amount of stress at seminar. Been having to wear sunglasses because artificial light is driving me nuts and really seems to add to DP/DR. Really bad yesterday. A Dr. Friend came and sat with me for an hour last night after the seminar as i described my journey and symptoms.

Tough again this AM. I am 1.5 weeks into taking Lorazepam 5x a day .30 mg total 1.5 mg

Sometimes these little doses are not doing it. I still think i am going through withdrawal from missing taking 1 mg at a time.

LASERJET a question

I had a lot of complete dissociative feelings while tapering, not just during said nightmare scenario, but extreme DP/DR like a bad bad out of control LSD trip. The key was not to let it frighten me, and it usually didn't. From my younger days, I was very familiar with (euphoric) dissociative feelings, so it was an easy jump for me to accept the ativan-fueled dysphoric dissociation. Acceptance didnt stop the experience, but it prevented my mind from escalating it to a runaway panic situation.

This seems to be my biggest issue of which i am having the hardest time with. I work on acceptance of it but sometimes it gets the best of me and i want to go hide my head as it feels like i am going to leave my body at any time ( die ) Really scary stuff!

Bad bad LSD trip sounds about right....but its all the time now.

Maybe you could tell me a bit more about how it got better and at what point?  Did it ease up as you lowered the dose?

What did you keep saying to yourself during the bad experiences? Did it ever let up or was it all the time?

Also if anyone else has been through this i would love to hear your experience.

This feels so permanent while in it...like it is never going to get better and ii nneed to hear from folks who got better

Thanks!

Mark ( Shasta )

Hi Mark,

Sorry you are still struggling.....hopefully stability is just around the corner for you. In regards to your strong feeling of DP/DR I can tell you that for me it was a troubling feeling as well. I remember crying one day and telling my husband "I don't feel real" and I was terrified.

Two things helped me:

One was getting lower in dose. Until I go below 1mg I had a lot of DP/DR and then gradually faded away.

The second thing was reading about "why" DP/DR happens. I read one article in particular that took all the fear out of it for me, and I can truthfully tell you that now when it happens I really just find it more of a nuisance than anything else. Here is the link to the article.

http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/depersonalisation_and_derealisation.html

Take care  :)

Saga and Kiddo....thanks so much for your previous responses!

Long days with a fair amount of stress at seminar. Been having to wear sunglasses because artificial light is driving me nuts and really seems to add to DP/DR. Really bad yesterday. A Dr. Friend came and sat with me for an hour last night after the seminar as i described my journey and symptoms.

Tough again this AM. I am 1.5 weeks into taking Lorazepam 5x a day .30 mg total 1.5 mg

Sometimes these little doses are not doing it. I still think i am going through withdrawal from missing taking 1 mg at a time.

LASERJET a question

I had a lot of complete dissociative feelings while tapering, not just during said nightmare scenario, but extreme DP/DR like a bad bad out of control LSD trip. The key was not to let it frighten me, and it usually didn't. From my younger days, I was very familiar with (euphoric) dissociative feelings, so it was an easy jump for me to accept the ativan-fueled dysphoric dissociation. Acceptance didnt stop the experience, but it prevented my mind from escalating it to a runaway panic situation.

This seems to be my biggest issue of which i am having the hardest time with. I work on acceptance of it but sometimes it gets the best of me and i want to go hide my head as it feels like i am going to leave my body at any time ( die ) Really scary stuff! Yes Mark, this was exactly my experience

Bad bad LSD trip sounds about right....but its all the time now.

It was not ALL the time for me. It could last as little as a few minutes or as long as a few days. But are you being accurate when you say ALL the time for you? Every minute of every day since you started ativan? I'm not trying to prod you, but on benzos our minds have a propensity to severely distort the truth.

Maybe you could tell me a bit more about how it got better and at what point?  Did it ease up as you lowered the dose?

As I lowered the dose, most sxs incrementally waned....ON AVERAGE that is. There were always big swings between severe sxs and windows; this makes it hard to feel like one is getting better. Over time, those swings in well being were less in both magnitude and frequency.  Of course after jumping, things can get revved up a bit (post-acute).

What did you keep saying to yourself during the bad experiences?

Intellectually, even at my worst times, I knew I had to get off ativan to be well, so I understood the imperative of continuing to taper. I had to accept the fact that I would need to suffer an indeterminate amount to get off (well). This wasn't enough. I sometimes had to repeat in my mind or vocally over and over, "I can do this...I can do this...I can do this...I can do this..." It was a way I could push/coach myself into getting through the moment when the going got tough (e.g. feeling like I was dying, feeling like I'd never get well.) All BENZO LIES! I'd also force myself to do activities. This helped my mind from spiralling out of control. Walking the dog, surfing, cycling, reading, TV, whatever. I also cconvinced myself, by reading success stories here, that people do get better after tapering off benzos, and in particular, ativan. While I could never feel that truth, at least I could know it, and remind myself of it.

Did it ever let up or was it all the time?

Also if anyone else has been through this i would love to hear your experience.

This feels so permanent while in it...like it is never going to get better and ii nneed to hear from folks who got better

Thanks!

Mark ( Shasta )

Going to Class now but wanted to thank both of you very much for answering so quick and i will re-read and check out the link and respond later tonight

Thanks again!!!

Mark

Going to Class now but wanted to thank both of you very much for answering so quick and i will re-read and check out the link and respond later tonight

Thanks again!!!

Mark

Hi Mark,

I don't really have much to add to the comments. I will say the feeling is very uncomfortable, but it's perfectly normal in w/d.

I won't say you become used to the feeling, but when it lifts, even for a short period of time, it's a relief. I still have some of it happening now, but it really has lessened in intensity. :smitten:

Saga

Hi Kiddo :smitten:

Hello Fellow Ativaners - I'm feeling really pissed off and upset right now. And what a better place to vent about my recent feeling than right here  >:D

Today I felt compelled to wander out of blogland and visit some of the main pages of this forum. I went to the introductory to page to see if I could find my introductory from 5 months ago. I wanted to see the improvement I've made and be able to give myself a little pat on the back.

What I found instead were pages and pages and pages of new members of this forum. So many scared, lonely and full of despair. My heart is broken. How many people have to suffer before something is done? Just as one person successfully tapers into freedom there are 5 more just starting to take their place. It makes me sick.

I found 8 new members that are on Ativan, and directed them over to our thread and I hope that between us all we can help them. I'm sure there was more, but I got upset reading the same thing over and over. So much suffering is hard to stomach.

Hey Kiddo,

It is an absolute atrocity.  So many people suffering b/c Ativan and other benzos are given out like candy by the medical profession.  A friend of mine has a daughter who works at a local drs. office and she tells me that a huge amount of their patients are given Ativan.  An ER dr. also once told me (and I'm surprised he admitted this to me) that drs. quite often convince their patients that their ailments are anxiety-related and are all too quick at prescribing benzos.....and Ativan seems to be the most popular one in my area.  I'm with you, Kiddo, it upsets me as well to know that with ever one tapering success story, there are many, many more people caught in this trap.

All of it makes me sick!  The bottom line is greed and ignorance. Deliberate ignorance. When I read about the marketing of  " new" psyotropic drugs- there is a new benzo called Omfi they tried to peddle to my stepdaughter...I just about go crazy!

All of these drugs have discontinuation syndromes. Yet we never hear about it. Those of us lucky enough to find this forum understand what's happened to us.

Sadly, there are many, many people being damaged- lives ruined out of deliberate misinformation - greed - and clever marketing.

The endless cycle of prescribing ensures the need for this forum. The beat goes on..... :tickedoff:

Thanks Kiddo I've been reading and asking a few questions , trying to see what's the next step . Started tapering the ativan the 10th cut .25mg . Wanting to substitute everything over to valium but never know what the Dr will say . We'll get off one day at a time . Thanks for any help , this is new . Iam

Hi Iam - glad you made it over to the thread. In my option, it is entirely possible to taper of Ativan directly if you decide to go that route or if your doctor doesn't want to switch you. Are you having any symptoms right now? .25mg cut is rather large, but if your body/brain can handle it then that's fantastic  :thumbsup:

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. We have lots of Ativan experience on this thread and everybody is kind and supportive.

Keep us posted on your doctors appointment  :)

Thanks Kiddo , yeah I am a little confused , trying to find out if when I go to the new Dr I need to try to crossover on both the ativan and restoril ? I'm thinking do both slowly 2mg Ativan = 20mg Valium , 30mg Temasepam = 15mg Valium . Since I'm trying 1st cut .25mg Ativan??? Would that make it 18mg Valium approx ? S/X neck pain , head ache , insomnia , a little axiety but I had that before the cut . The end of that 7 week c/t off restoril was CRAZY !!! devil was talking to me , guns were talking to me , you name it ! I didn't know what was happening !!! I'm trying to figure this sight out before my brain disconnects , I'm not a computer wiz . Just knew I needed some support . Dr. are nuts pretty much I know now  :idiot:  Iam

Hello everyone! I took a roadtrip and I'm up at my sisters. She and her husband are being kind enough to let me stay with them while Im coming off the Ativan.

Anyhow, I made my first solution today at full strength. The only problem I've got with it is the vodka/water I used didn't dissolve it AT ALL. I had to have my sister to constantly stir it to keep the Ativan particles from settling to the bottom while I separated it into 3 doses. Nana is doing it this way and is agitating the water before she makes her cut and before she divides her doses(and from what I understand, she is having great success :)), but Im scared my cuts aren't going to be accurate due to it not being a true solution, rather the Ativan is just suspended. I have 100% confidence in Nana and have sent her a PM regarding this issue, but thought I'd bring it up to you guys and see what you thought. Should I be ok as long as I have the water vigorously stirred as I make my cut? Should I use a larger solution of Vodka?

As to the discussion about doctors and benzo's, Ive got something to add. I was hospitalized a few months back and was put on Ativan. I was never told it was addictive. I was never told it was a benzo, or how benzos can mess you up bad.I never even received paperwork on it that listed the potential side effects. All I was told was that the doctor ordered it for my anxiety (as I was on the verge of having a psychotic break) I took it and it killed the anxiety, so I continued to take it to keep the anxiety at bay. Its just a pill, and the doctor wouldn't let anything happen to me right? Surely they wouldn't give me anything harmful and if they did they would notify me of all adverse effects and such. WRONG. I just stopped taking it all of a sudden out of the blue months after it being prescribed.I was hit in the face full force with a myriad of withdrawals. I was in hell for over 2 weeks trying to figure out what was wrong. My doctor thought I was having a reaction to one of my psych meds, and promptly switched it. About that time, I started researching my own meds because I believe its best to be proactive and not wait on a doctor for every little thing. I ran across some websites on Ativan, other benzos, and w/d symptoms. The things I were experiencing went hand in hand with what I read, and the w/d went away after getting back on the Ativan on a regular basis. Talk about a slap in the face. Here I was entrusting my health and overall well being to an experienced doctor, thinking they will take care of me, and this happens. Im a bit upset. Whats weird is I was on Klonopin 3MG/day for years on 2 separate occasions. I wasn't told about the effects of benzos then either. I lucked out on coming off of them twice c/t with no side effects.

The fact is that most of these doctors are here for the money. They get paid by the hour just like the rest of us, and if they think writing you a script for Ativan/klonopin/Xanax etc will get you out of their hair, theyre gonna do it. Its hard to find a truly compassionate doctor these days.

But the good news is we all have each other and we all have God. Weve all been kind of screwed over, but with knowledge, determination, and perseverance we can get through this. Its simply another storm in life we have to go through, but once weve been through it, we will have come out a stronger person. Hang in there guys and gals, we can do this.  sorry for the long rant :thumbsup:

Hi Omnifarious,

My story is similar to yours. Doctors don't have a clue what is going on with their patients when they are changing medications or dosages. At the beginning, I was on paroxetine (Paxil), Helex (Xanax) and Reset (Respiridal). I left daycare hospital in perfect mental shape after only 3 weeks. Then after some time they changed Xanax with Lorazepam because they told me Xanax "might" be addictive. Really...and Lorazepam is an aspirin. :) Then they changed Respiridal with Olanzapine and at the end Paxil with Effexor XR. pDoc was thinking to give me another pill, which was Depakine (I think its Depakote in US). That made me a zombie for a couple of days, real zombie without life in myself so I quit taking it.

I cant explain how did I feel during all those changes, at some point I was on 5mg Lorazepam and cut down to 2.5mg without any knowledge how powerful those drugs are. I was 2 years in constant withdrawal and finally after a lot of reading about these drugs I'm stabilized and tapering.

Yesterday I found out that my pDoc was working in the hospital for heavy narcotics users and prescribing methadone to them. No wonder why she keeps telling me that my doses are very low and there is no harm in cutting like crazy.

Unfortunately, we are in this on our own, and hopefully out of it. I hope that you will find the right way for your Ativan tapering and your titration will go smoothly.

Thanks Kiddo , yeah I am a little confused , trying to find out if when I go to the new Dr I need to try to crossover on both the ativan and restoril ? I'm thinking do both slowly 2mg Ativan = 20mg Valium , 30mg Temasepam = 15mg Valium . Since I'm trying 1st cut .25mg Ativan??? Would that make it 18mg Valium approx ? S/X neck pain , head ache , insomnia , a little axiety but I had that before the cut . The end of that 7 week c/t off restoril was CRAZY !!! devil was talking to me , guns were talking to me , you name it ! I didn't know what was happening !!! I'm trying to figure this sight out before my brain disconnects , I'm not a computer wiz . Just knew I needed some support . Dr. are nuts pretty much I know now  :idiot:  Iam

Hi I am,

Welcome to the thread! I believe your crossover numbers are correct. My opinion would be to defineltely try to crossover to Valium since you're on two short acting medications. I believe it would be far easier to simply crossover both, then focus on a taper from Valium.

I'm sorry you went through a c/t from the temez. It sounds perfectly awful. I'm really glad you found this forum, if you haven already posted on the taper plan section, that's where I would ask for advice regarding the multiple drug crossover. Best of luck to you :smitten:

Saga

Hello everyone! I took a roadtrip and I'm up at my sisters. She and her husband are being kind enough to let me stay with them while Im coming off the Ativan.

Anyhow, I made my first solution today at full strength. The only problem I've got with it is the vodka/water I used didn't dissolve it AT ALL. I had to have my sister to constantly stir it to keep the Ativan particles from settling to the bottom while I separated it into 3 doses. Nana is doing it this way and is agitating the water before she makes her cut and before she divides her doses(and from what I understand, she is having great success :)), but Im scared my cuts aren't going to be accurate due to it not being a true solution, rather the Ativan is just suspended. I have 100% confidence in Nana and have sent her a PM regarding this issue, but thought I'd bring it up to you guys and see what you thought. Should I be ok as long as I have the water vigorously stirred as I make my cut? Should I use a larger solution of Vodka?

As to the discussion about doctors and benzo's, Ive got something to add. I was hospitalized a few months back and was put on Ativan. I was never told it was addictive. I was never told it was a benzo, or how benzos can mess you up bad.I never even received paperwork on it that listed the potential side effects. All I was told was that the doctor ordered it for my anxiety (as I was on the verge of having a psychotic break) I took it and it killed the anxiety, so I continued to take it to keep the anxiety at bay. Its just a pill, and the doctor wouldn't let anything happen to me right? Surely they wouldn't give me anything harmful and if they did they would notify me of all adverse effects and such. WRONG. I just stopped taking it all of a sudden out of the blue months after it being prescribed.I was hit in the face full force with a myriad of withdrawals. I was in hell for over 2 weeks trying to figure out what was wrong. My doctor thought I was having a reaction to one of my psych meds, and promptly switched it. About that time, I started researching my own meds because I believe its best to be proactive and not wait on a doctor for every little thing. I ran across some websites on Ativan, other benzos, and w/d symptoms. The things I were experiencing went hand in hand with what I read, and the w/d went away after getting back on the Ativan on a regular basis. Talk about a slap in the face. Here I was entrusting my health and overall well being to an experienced doctor, thinking they will take care of me, and this happens. Im a bit upset. Whats weird is I was on Klonopin 3MG/day for years on 2 separate occasions. I wasn't told about the effects of benzos then either. I lucked out on coming off of them twice c/t with no side effects.

The fact is that most of these doctors are here for the money. They get paid by the hour just like the rest of us, and if they think writing you a script for Ativan/klonopin/Xanax etc will get you out of their hair, theyre gonna do it. Its hard to find a truly compassionate doctor these days.

But the good news is we all have each other and we all have God. Weve all been kind of screwed over, but with knowledge, determination, and perseverance we can get through this. Its simply another storm in life we have to go through, but once weve been through it, we will have come out a stronger person. Hang in there guys and gals, we can do this.  sorry for the long rant :thumbsup:

Hi Omni,

First, let me say your solution is correct. What you're seeing in the suspension are simply the binders- the inert particles that hold the Ativan together. The Ativan absolutely is contained in the suspension. As long as you work quickly I see no problems in what you're describing. I made the suspension several times myself, I felt confident the liquid worked. Mine was a portability issue at work, so I stayed with the dry.

Regarding the Drs and all of these meds- I hear you! I've spent the last 24 years on a merry go round chasing all kinds of health issues. My life had become a medical disaster! Always searching for the answer. I accidentally found the answer myself. I will never take another medication based on a recommendation. I will never trust another Dr.

I'm really sorry you've been caught up in this mess, but I hope you realize some of this is because of the previous history with the Klonopin. I know it doesn't make it any easier, but now at least you recognize what's happened.

Anyway, I'm sure Nana will respond to your message, but you're fine with the suspension  :smitten:

Saga