Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Hi Omnifarious,

My story is similar to yours. Doctors don't have a clue what is going on with their patients when they are changing medications or dosages. At the beginning, I was on paroxetine (Paxil), Helex (Xanax) and Reset (Respiridal). I left daycare hospital in perfect mental shape after only 3 weeks. Then after some time they changed Xanax with Lorazepam because they told me Xanax "might" be addictive. Really...and Lorazepam is an aspirin. :) Then they changed Respiridal with Olanzapine and at the end Paxil with Effexor XR. pDoc was thinking to give me another pill, which was Depakine (I think its Depakote in US). That made me a zombie for a couple of days, real zombie without life in myself so I quit taking it.

I cant explain how did I feel during all those changes, at some point I was on 5mg Lorazepam and cut down to 2.5mg without any knowledge how powerful those drugs are. I was 2 years in constant withdrawal and finally after a lot of reading about these drugs I'm stabilized and tapering.

Yesterday I found out that my pDoc was working in the hospital for heavy narcotics users and prescribing methadone to them. No wonder why she keeps telling me that my doses are very low and there is no harm in cutting like crazy.

Unfortunately, we are in this on our own, and hopefully out of it. I hope that you will find the right way for your Ativan tapering and your titration will go smoothly.

Whoa, Dready  wow! You were on 5 mgs of Ativan down to half! No wonder you were in a world of hurt! Good call on stopping the depakote. That is truly an evil med as well.

Honestly, it's a sad day when we learn about the power of all these meds and how carelessly they are prescribed. At least going forward, we know what's happened to all of us. :smitten:

Saga

Iam - I agree with Saga, it'll be very difficult for you to taper 2 short-acting benzo's at the same time. You'll likely have better success with Valium. There is a "crossing over to Valium thread" that will be very helpful for you. It's been my experience that the majority of members on this forum have gone that route. We are always here for you if you need us but I think you'll get better answers to your questions on that thread.

Here is the link: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=96753.0

Omni and Dready - how perfectly dreadful and maddening. I too was prescribed benzo's in the hospital for 10 days following a leg injury. 3 days after I left the hospital I was a mess. Went to my doctor and he said I had bad anxiety because of the leg injury and because my Father passed away while I was in the hospital. So he told me to go back on the Ativan. And now here I am. The lack of knowledge is so frustrating.

Hello,

This is my first time on this thread, thanks to my friend Kiddo for recommending it.

I don't want to regurgitate my whole history but I've been on Ativan for about 30 years, the first few years as needed, then low doses for years, then when I divorced the dose was raised but I went back down to 2 mg daily.

After my new hubby got prostate cancer almost 4 years ago at the ripe old age of 49, ouch, I went up to 4 mg and been on that since, 1 mg 4 x daily. It's actually not been helping me much for the last 10 years except for a while when hubby was in hospital for almost a month ( when it bumped up to 4 mg).

Since it wasn't helping anymore, my doctor was retiring, I'm getting older, I knew it was time to end this. I started tapering at .25 mg and thought I would die with withdrawal, after doing that twice, I went to .125mg, still bad but not as bad. Then I found BB, a life saver. I now taper 0.625 every 10 days and was doing well until the doc put me on Nexium for heartburn and the side effects made me very sick. I won't take it any more tho. The over the counter drugs do help without the side effects.

Had a terrible weekend, nasty withdrawal, today a little better.

My concern is this dry cutting and knowing the powder for .0625 isn't consistent. I am down to 2.75 mg so it is getting more difficult now.

I'm sort of afraid to try the liquid, I read on here a lot of people like it but a lot do not so I thought the Ativan users might know better.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Beth  :angel:

Dear Kiddo,

Yep it is so frustrating and makes me feel stupid because I'm a nurse. I trusted my doc implicitly and never looked into it. He suggested I should get off it several times but I couldn't, lots of fear.

I'm not as afraid, maybe comes with age and I know my time has come.

One day at a time my dear.

Beth - I'm so glad you stopped by. There are a lot of great people on this thread that you will come to know and love.

GreenIrishTweed is using compounded liquid and is doing great. SophiasNana and Omnifarious make their own liquid and are having a lot of success. Hopefully they will chime in and be able to answer some of your liquid titration questions.

Did you ever end up ordering a scale? I think it's imperative to have one for dosing accuracy. I think almost all of us have one. You can order it on Amazon - it's called the Gemini Pro 20 Milligram Scale.

Love you  :smitten:

Kiddo1977 thank you for telling me about this thread.Your kind words are so appreciated.

I don't know what to do about my next cut at 0.125 mg. What time do  I take it ?      I have not had one in 30 days. Only because I wet too fast not knowing. But I feel stable but  Now I feel toxic to Lorazepam again. I'm pacing the floor , crying, anxious , can't focus, cold afraid sick to my stomach. My vocal cord dysfunction is bad and I can't breathe , when I cut my breathing gets better. Being toxic to the benzo seems like double set of problems ? This is my third post have you read all three? I can hardly type.

I'm at 0.875 mg at 6 am

0.375 mg at 11:30am

0.375 mg at 5pm

1.000 mg at 10pm

I need help to know which dose should I cut ? How many days in between cuts ? My doctor says 2 weeks.  Withdrawals get so bad . I hope everyone can help me. I feel like I've lost my life.

I called my pdoctor he is not in till tomorrow. Even he said at last  weeks  appt. he does not know what to cut next. Because I 'm so up and down. I take a low dose of prednisone for my 2 autoimmune liver diseases plus cellcept which both causes anxiety.  Let me say I'm fighting for my life right now. Thank you to all that is helping me through this nightmare. I never dreamed this drug would turn on me and create more anxiety. Has other people had this happen to them? Stay Strong everyone !

Warrior - yes, I have read your other posts on the different threads. I know you are struggling. Please KNOW these are all normal withdrawal symptoms. Unfortunately, the compounded problems are your other chronic conditions and prednisone is also k ow to cause a flare in withdrawal symptoms. This is so unfortunate as I know you have to take the steroids to keep your liver functioning. All you can do at this point is taper the Ativan safely.

So, based on what you wrote I see that you are currently at 2.625mg - is that correct? The first thing I would do is even out your doses. So that would mean each of your 4 doses equalling the same amount. This will help keep the benzo level in your bloodstream. So that would be approx .67mg per dose @ 4x a day.

I would try and keep your cuts at around 5% a week if you can tolerate it. But, like I said, instead of taking it off one dose make your doses even. So you would be dosing .63mg 4x a day.

Do you have a scale? They are fairly easy to use and really help with dose accuracy. Another option would be to have your prescription compounded by the pharmacist and then you wouldn't have to worry at all. Your doctor seems supportive so that is probably your best option. Compounded capsules would be easiest because they will be pre measured and there would be no thinking involved. You just take one capsule 4x a day.

If you have any other questions, keep posting. You're doing great  :thumbsup:

Saga Thanks for the insight about the binders, Ive heard that somewhere before, but got worried when I talked to a compounding pharmacist saying that Ativan hates water, but I think if I stir the crap out of it as I make my cut, and when I separate doses, Ill be ok. This isn't an exact science anyway  :smitten:

Beth I recommend asking around and doing some research on liquid titration. That's what Im in the process of doing, and although there are a few steps involved, plus a little math, I feel pretty comfortable with it. More comfortable than I would feel using a magnifying glass, razor blade, and scale try to get a cut. Plus it just seems to be an added burden having to deal with so many pieces of pills. Im not saying dry cutting is wrong, as it seems to be working for a lot of folks, Im just saying its not my cup of tea.

Warrior I don't know enough about multiple dose reductions to help you, and Im so sorry your having w/d Ill be praying that God grants you some relief. Just remember to take it slow.

Hey everybody!!

Just popping in, and I see we have a few newbies.  :)

I know that being new creates a lot of questions. Well, you have come to the right place.

Each of us here are different. Meaning that most of us taper using different methods. Some use liquid, some use scales, some combine both of these, and some dry cut.

You just have to find out what is right for you.

I bought scales, but had a very rough time getting an accurate reading. So, I made up my own way...after asking a million questions.  ;)

I have my taper method posted, and you can click on the area in my sig line to find it. If you have any questions about it, just pop me a PM, since I don't pop by this thread every day. Shame on me!!  ::)

Just know that support is key in all of this, and the group of people on this thread are great at giving it.

Hugs,

Nana  :smitten:

Help.

How do you know when you have stabilized?  I keep hearing the term but physically I can't tell if I'm stabilized to cut again or not.     

Does anyone recommend daily micro taper?

Try

Hey Try,

I love the daily taper method!! No BIG hit of symptoms. And, if you do experience symptoms, you can either slow down or hold.

I have only held twice during the last six months. And, only then because I had lost family members, and then my Mom had a stroke, and every one advised me to hold.

I find, that for me, I feel no different during my holds than during my taper. I really don't know what that means.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

Hugs,

Sophia,

A daily taper sounds like the way to go.    How did you make your homemade solution?  A liquid can be much easier to measure than these pills crumbling every time I cut. 

How have your symptoms been?   

Try

Try,

Just click the link in my sig line, and it explains how I make my tapering liquid.  :)

I really don't have symptoms from tapering. I think mine are leftover from my c/t last year, since they have never changed. Even when holding, my symptoms never change. Mine are mostly heart based symptoms that mess with a pre-existing heart issue. And, my head feels really funky all of the time.

I also think some of mine are from being on Remeron, like the funky head and feeling tired all day. I would really like to get off of it to see if that is what it is.

A daily taper has worked great for me, but everyone is different. You just need to figure out what works best for you.

Hugs,

Help.

How do you know when you have stabilized?  I keep hearing the term but physically I can't tell if I'm stabilized to cut again or not.     

Try

With time you'll get accustomed to your body and the symptoms that present themselves. If you're properly stable you'll still feel some withdrawal symptoms but the intensity should not be overwhelming. For me it was a difference of night and day. Within three days of splitting my doses I found unbelievable relief, however still very uncomfortable. Everyone is different, but you should probably feel more "stable"  within a week or so.

Hello,

This is my first time on this thread, thanks to my friend Kiddo for recommending it.

I don't want to regurgitate my whole history but I've been on Ativan for about 30 years, the first few years as needed, then low doses for years, then when I divorced the dose was raised but I went back down to 2 mg daily.

After my new hubby got prostate cancer almost 4 years ago at the ripe old age of 49, ouch, I went up to 4 mg and been on that since, 1 mg 4 x daily. It's actually not been helping me much for the last 10 years except for a while when hubby was in hospital for almost a month ( when it bumped up to 4 mg).

Since it wasn't helping anymore, my doctor was retiring, I'm getting older, I knew it was time to end this. I started tapering at .25 mg and thought I would die with withdrawal, after doing that twice, I went to .125mg, still bad but not as bad. Then I found BB, a life saver. I now taper 0.625 every 10 days and was doing well until the doc put me on Nexium for heartburn and the side effects made me very sick. I won't take it any more tho. The over the counter drugs do help without the side effects.

Had a terrible weekend, nasty withdrawal, today a little better.

My concern is this dry cutting and knowing the powder for .0625 isn't consistent. I am down to 2.75 mg so it is getting more difficult now.

I'm sort of afraid to try the liquid, I read on here a lot of people like it but a lot do not so I thought the Ativan users might know better.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Hi Beth,

We've talked often, I'm really glad you posted on the thread. I know you're looking for some info on the liquid Ativan, to make things a little easier.

Hopefully a few people can stop in and help you decide if the liquid is something you'd like to try. Thanks for posting, hope you stay here :smitten:

Saga

Kiddo1977 thank you for telling me about this thread.Your kind words are so appreciated.

I don't know what to do about my next cut at 0.125 mg. What time do  I take it ?      I have not had one in 30 days. Only because I wet too fast not knowing. But I feel stable but  Now I feel toxic to Lorazepam again. I'm pacing the floor , crying, anxious , can't focus, cold afraid sick to my stomach. My vocal cord dysfunction is bad and I can't breathe , when I cut my breathing gets better. Being toxic to the benzo seems like double set of problems ? This is my third post have you read all three? I can hardly type.

I'm at 0.875 mg at 6 am

0.375 mg at 11:30am

0.375 mg at 5pm

1.000 mg at 10pm

I need help to know which dose should I cut ? How many days in between cuts ? My doctor says 2 weeks.  Withdrawals get so bad . I hope everyone can help me. I feel like I've lost my life.

I called my pdoctor he is not in till tomorrow. Even he said at last  weeks  appt. he does not know what to cut next. Because I 'm so up and down. I take a low dose of prednisone for my 2 autoimmune liver diseases plus cellcept which both causes anxiety.  Let me say I'm fighting for my life right now. Thank you to all that is helping me through this nightmare. I never dreamed this drug would turn on me and create more anxiety. Has other people had this happen to them? Stay Strong everyone !

Hi Warrior,

Welcome to the thread! I'm sorry you're having a rough time, I believe everything you're experiencing are sxs, and I know they're uncomfortable, but they are normal.

Kiddo gave you some great advice about dividing the doses more evenly if you can, that's a good way to keep the levels even in your body.

Prednisone is a difficult medicine. It does create anxiety as well, I'm sorry you have to take this during a taper. It could definitely be playing a part in the sxs.

I went back and read your posts as well, I'm a little confused to the drop schedule you've followed. Considering the difficulty with the prednisone, maybe your best bet would be to make smaller reductions like Kiddo mentioned.

Please keep asking questions, or simply post. We will all try to help you through this difficult process. :smitten:

Saga

SophiasNana - thanks for popping in and offering advice on how to daily titrate. I'm sure everyone appreciates it  :)

Try - if you are stable you won't have an increase in symptoms. They will stay the same or lessen. It would be helpful if you can update your signature to reflect the dose you started at, the cuts you have made and when, and what you are at now.

Help.

Try

Hi Try,

Welcome to the thread! I see you've already had responses from Nana and Cosmic. It's very hard to tell sometimes when you're beginning a taper to tell what stabilize means.

I personally took it to mean my sxs were tolerable. Which sounds crazy, because non of them are really tolerable. Tapering is hard work. The sxs shouldn't be more than you can handle, is a better way to describe it in my mind. They can't hurt you, is the point.

My advice would be to decide how you want to taper, and take it slowly from there. I see you have an interest in the daily taper, and you already have a response from Nana.

Keep asking questions :smitten:

Saga

Try,

Just click the link in my sig line, and it explains how I make my tapering liquid.  :)

I really don't have symptoms from tapering. I think mine are leftover from my c/t last year, since they have never changed. Even when holding, my symptoms never change. Mine are mostly heart based symptoms that mess with a pre-existing heart issue. And, my head feels really funky all of the time.

I also think some of mine are from being on Remeron, like the funky head and feeling tired all day. I would really like to get off of it to see if that is what it is.

A daily taper has worked great for me, but everyone is different. You just need to figure out what works best for you.

Hugs,

Hi Nana,

Wow, no sxs from tapering! That's pretty terrific, I'd say. I forgot you have the c/t history. I wouldn't be surprised if those are leftover. Either way, way to go :smitten:

Saga

Help.

Try

With time you'll get accustomed to your body and the symptoms that present themselves. If you're properly stable you'll still feel some withdrawal symptoms but the intensity should not be overwhelming. For me it was a difference of night and day. Within three days of splitting my doses I found unbelievable relief, however still very uncomfortable. Everyone is different, but you should probably feel more "stable"  within a week or so.

Hi Cosmic,

I see you're moving again, good job, hope you're doing ok :smitten:

Help.

Try

Hi Cosmic,

Hi saga. As you can see I'm slowing down for a bit to see how my body reacts to smaller cuts. Surprisingly I'm still feeling it. I think my body has the ability to heal itself quick but at the cost of heavier sxs. I'm still getting these horrific nightmares and my sleeps are getting worse. How are you feeling? Now that you're a month off? Any sort of relief?

Hey Saga,

How ya doing, my friend?? I am still so thrilled that you are off this poison!!  :thumbsup:  i am so jealous!!!  ;D

I can never tell what my symptoms are from. Some of them showed up after I was put on the Ativan and Remeron, 3 months after my Xanax c/t.

But, I just assumed they were not from tapering, since I had them before the taper and during holds.

I will say that I am more active now, than I was before. My fear of foods is slooooowwwwly starting to fade. So, it is pretty much just the heart stuff and funky/dizzy head stuff now.

And, a broken heart from losing so many loved ones during this. Including my beloved pet Chihuahua.

But, we now have two verrry active Chihuahua pups. WOW!! They are a handful!! But very fun!!  :)

You are such a big help and inspiration to others. Keep it up, my friend!!

Hugs,

Help.

Try

Hi Cosmic,

Hi saga. As you can see I'm slowing down for a bit to see how my body reacts to smaller cuts. Surprisingly I'm still feeling it. I think my body has the ability to heal itself quick but at the cost of heavier sxs. I'm still getting these horrific nightmares and my sleeps are getting worse. How are you feeling? Now that you're a month off? Any sort of relief?

Cosmic, I'm NOT surprised, actually, it was a battle the whole way for me. Hang in there, you're really getting there :smitten:

I just admitted to Kiddo I'm in another window! Second one since I've jumped. Today I'd say I'm doing great, now I've just jinxed myself and it'll be over, LOL!  Every time I have a window, it gives me hope, I want to share it :smitten:

Nana, just saw your post, don't be jealous, I had some serious sxs, but I was able to handle working full time. That's all I cared about, and I was willing to compromise a social life in order to finish.

I'm glad the food issues are going away, I think as you become more comfortable with tapering those phobias naturally subside.

You've had a lot of losses recently, and I'm so sorry, I know those puppies are helping keep you busy!

My best to you, keep on doing what you're doing, you're getting there :smitten:

Saga

Look at everyone getting along and being helpful! This makes me happy.

I know I'm going to make myself look kinda dumb for asking this, but can someone explain the meaning of the term "jumping/jumped" and "window"? I see these used all over the forum but I have no clue as to what they mean. :-\

Help.

Try

Hi Cosmic,

Cosmic, I'm NOT surprised, actually, it was a battle the whole way for me. Hang in there, you're really getting there :smitten:

I just admitted to Kiddo I'm in another window! Second one since I've jumped. Today I'd say I'm doing great, now I've just jinxed myself and it'll be over, LOL!  Every time I have a window, it gives me hope, I want to share it :smitten:

Nana, just saw your post, don't be jealous, I had some serious sxs, but I was able to handle working full time. That's all I cared about, and I was willing to compromise a social life in order to finish.

I'm glad the food issues are going away, I think as you become more comfortable with tapering those phobias naturally subside.

You've had a lot of losses recently, and I'm so sorry, I know those puppies are helping keep you busy!

My best to you, keep on doing what you're doing, you're getting there :smitten:

Saga

Thats great to hear saga I'm sure it's one of many to come. I'm so happy for you. I actually had my first half day window today. I actually felt an inner happiness that nearly brought me to tears.