Post Benzo Protracted Withdrawal Support Group

[Al...]

Just gotta say I tried EAR Acupuncture today and WOWWWWWWWWWWW.  There was 1 point where he pressed where I IMMEDIATELY felt emotionally better instead of clenched so UNBELIEVABLY tight.  It was like INSTANT relief emotionally  :yippee:.  I think its called the "Shen Men" Point for anyone interested.  I just HAD to share that, cos if you find something good/helpful you want to share it in the hopes it might help others!!!

Where is this point? In the upper part of the outer ear? I Google'd for images for this point and found it.  And do we press on it directly or use two fingers (one on each side of the ear) and "pinch" it like a set of calipers between the fingers?

I'm keen to try anything that helps! :)

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [va...]

• [Wh...]

• [st...]

• [ve...]

So my name is Tom and at pretty much 2 years out I'm struggling with bad head pressure and chest tension due to anxiety and dpdr. I was put on meds in college after I had done some cocaine and then pretty much had a seizure or crazy panic attack and then I was instantly in a permanent state of panic.so of course at the time I didn't know about anxiety BC I had never really had any so I figured I had caused myself to go crazy with the drugs. I went to the drs and they put me on a benzo right away and it instantly made me felt normal again so it was 5 years on the meds and a cocktail of others trying to find out what could stabalize me and in the end the only thing that ever helped was the benzos. Unfortunately though you can't take them for years safely and I was never informed of this as a kid. They just made me feel like me again and that was all that I ever wanted. Im 24 now married and never had the opportunity to quit my job and chill on the couch to recover. I've worked through this and moved cross country and felt with all of life's stressors but now  feel like I'm owed some peace of mind. My brain must just really be whacked but one day I will know peace. Exercise is the best thing for me by far. If I didn't have surfing and mtn biking I would be lost for sure. Alcohol is the devilit has made me 10 times worse the day after I drank and I realy feel it may have slowed down my healing, so no more of it for me.

Hi Ruthiealison, I also got accupuncture on my upper ears about a year or so ago, from an NMD, she used needles though and they were painful. Anyway she put 5 needles in each ear...when she took one out I started crying really hard for the longest time. And I rarely cry. A student was observing and asked her what point that was and she stated it was the autonomic nervous system. It was a little bizarre and I havent done it since, but it was a release of sorts but I dont like losing control like that. Im glad though that you found it helpful and maybe others will think about trying it now. Take care. Colleen

Hi Phatjawn, Thankyou for sharing here...was wondering if you experienced any burning or nerve pain when wd from klon...also did you ct or taper...just wondering since a lot on here ct or did fast tapers. Its awesome you can exercise...I loved exercising but the nerve pain and other sx make it really hard...its great for the mental sx though. I hope you feel 100% soon. Colleen

[d6...]

Just gotta say I tried EAR Acupuncture today and WOWWWWWWWWWWW.  There was 1 point where he pressed where I IMMEDIATELY felt emotionally better instead of clenched so UNBELIEVABLY tight.  It was like INSTANT relief emotionally  :yippee:.  I think its called the "Shen Men" Point for anyone interested.  I just HAD to share that, cos if you find something good/helpful you want to share it in the hopes it might help others!!!

Where is this point? In the upper part of the outer ear? I Google'd for images for this point and found it.  And do we press on it directly or use two fingers (one on each side of the ear) and "pinch" it like a set of calipers between the fingers?

I'm keen to try anything that helps! :)

Glad you google searched images to find that point Matthew, thats why I mentioned what the point was called - for ppl who were interested.  To get the exact/precise point I think it would be better if you saw an actual Acupuncturist though.

Yep thats what I do press - BOTH sides of the ear when I need it to stimulate that point (the sticky metal buttons are still there).  Hope that makes sense.  I'm still finding it is helping ALOT Day 2 as well, thank God!!!!!!!!

My emotions have been clenched so tight I havent been able to even cry for nearly 2 years so ANY release of pressure is great to me...I would rather have a messy/emotional release than continue to have all this pent up/clenched tight emotions thats for sure!!!  I will try to attach a webpage that has the picture of this Shen Men Point just for clarification, but best anyone interested consults an actual Acupuncturist.

http://acupuncture-pregnancy.com/tag/labour/

Hope that helps.  Hugs, Ruth

Hi everyone, I just wanted to let my friends here know that I went to the doc last Fri....it was a big deal for me...I have been terrified since detox to go to see anyone except the NMD that I saw about a year ago...I have lots of physical sx left at over 21months off...The doc was wonderful to me, treated me very well and spent about an hour and a half explaining to me what he felt was going on regarding my severe neuropathic pain and parasthesias...he does feel that the benzos contributed but thinks the severe nature of the nerve pain is due to being on the large dose of morphine so long...explains that pain is protective and my bodt had to keep making more and more pain receptors...when I was ct all these adaptations were exposed causing a lot of pain. He started me on cymbalta...did not think elavil would be strong enough...I know many have had a bad experience with this drug but I had to do something...felt like it was my full time job and only goal to endure the constant pain and I just could not do it anymore. He is sending me to neuro also as concerned about the constant fasciculations in my toes and feet. A very special friend went with me to the doc, and Im so grateful I wanted to thank her here. Thank you again P  :smitten: Wish you could go to the neuro with me lol. Anyway,,,oh the cymbalta is making me a litlle nauseous but thats nothing...no other problems yet with it. That is my update for now. Thanks for listening and wishing everyone here was having an easier time. I appreciate everyone who has posted here. There is strength in numbers, and I find comfort and courage from all of you. Love, Colleen

Hi Colleen.  I'm glad you found a sensible doctor who can finally  help you manage the ongoing pain as you continue  your journey to healing after benzos.  You suffered for a very long time and there is no harm in trying something different now, even if you and your doctor might decide to taper it down the road once you are starting to feel much better.  Taking care of an elderly parent can be extremely stressful.  I was sorry to read about your mother's brain injury.  As you might recall, my elderly father has had cancer for about five years and the stress and strain is what partly led to my taking that first benzo

3 1/2 years ago.  Next week will be exactly three years since I started my 10 month taper off valium, how time flies. We do the best we can to help our parents.  We are not perfect and neither are they.  Sometimes there is baggage that needs to be sorted through, but it feels good to forgive or at least try to forgive and be the best son or daughter one can be.  I'm happy that you will get some relief from your pain with the help of your doctor now.  Life and stressful things don't stop when you're dealing with benzo recovery but all we can do is try to keep moving forward one step and one day at a time.

:smitten:

Vertigo

He started me on cymbalta...

I need to post this for others.

This is NOT a sensible doctor. It is completely normal to have this type of nerve pain from benzos this far out. How would he know if it's morphine or benzos? He wouldn't. I'm quite sure he hasn't had the opportunity to study people post quitting benzos to make such a comment. I know what I've seen on these boards with far out nerve pain and benzos.

I hope you get some relief Colleen, I know how incredible much pain you've been in. Mine was right in the bone in my face, forhead, eyeballs, brow, brain and on. It went down at 23 months. I cried every single day it hurt like acid poured into bone. But it's now minor and fleeting pain. I can't wait for it to go for you Colleen. But it'll go. It'll come out of acute and be hardly noticeable and fade and be gone.

Cymbalta. Impossible to taper from. Brain shocks. FDA denies it. There's a whole support forum dedicated to it and many are trying to get class actions suits. They make it in 60 mg 30mg and 20 mg in the US and 30mg and 60 mg in Canada. Or vice versa with amounts and countries.

People are splitting capsuls and counting micro beads to taper off of. Some are taking months because of the neuro side effects and brain shocks in particular being strong. I wish you would have know

I came off cymbalta 1 months after my benzo c/t. Brain shocks and neuro stuff. I went too fast and used prozac for the longer life to cover cymbalta withdrawal. I used prozac for 10 days only. Then off of everything for good.

And, many are saying, it does nothing for pain.

I'm not trying to be the devil's advocate. It's just so so important to "research" what we have been told.

Good luck Colleen I do mean that. Check this forum out. There is a whole section dedicated to FDA and "why is nothing being done about this drug?"

http://www.cymbaltawithdrawal.com/forum/9-weaning-off-cymbalta/

This forum is how I got off cymbalta. It may be why my brain "interior" is taking so long to heal, added variable from the benzo c/t. Why cymbalta? Given to me as no one knew I was in tolerance and doc said, "take this for pain." He was doing it for emotional pain, which was ALL interdose withdrawal.

It's all marketing with that drug.

I'm seeing a research doc at University of B.C. Wed who "get's" benzos and side effects. He endorsed a book by a woman who went through it. I let you guys know what he says about this as I was not posting but was looking for this thread for a friend who is protracted with physical to show here there are many of us.

Love you Colleen,

Tracy xoxo

Vancouver Girl - is it Dr. Wright that you are going to see?  I wrote him an e-mail and he answered me and said something to the effect tha if we stay ofl all benzos and other drugs that effect the brains, we have immense capability to get our brain back to its original state..  If I can find his e-mail - I will cvut and paste it here.

Colleen - Feel so bad - one just doesn't know what to do - such a terrible place to be in......I wish you much luck and courage as you go through this.

Love Hoping

Hi Vertigo, Its so kind of you to write me. I always appreciate your thoughtful posts. Its really sad about my mom...I feel so bad for her and plan to be more involved soon...meanwhile my cousin is in charge and meeting with her team tomorrow. I do remember that your dad has cancer. I hope he is holding his own.

The doctor was really campassionate and thats what I appreciate about him. He did seem knowledgeable, but there probably isnt a perfect solution for me, but I trust that he is trying.

Three years now since your taper...wow you have put in your time in benzoland...so glad you are mostly on the other side now. I hope you are finally living a great life again..you deserve that. Take care. Love, Colleen

Hi VG, I understand your concern about the cymbalta...believe me I didnt start this med without giving it a lot of consideration. Just know my own limits. I love the fact that you are always looking out for everyone here and posting what you have learned from all the research you do. I love and respect you so much. Hope this year treats you well.  :smitten:Colleen

Hi Hoping, Thankyou for writing to me..I appreciate it so much. I feel so bad for everyone suffering from the effects of benzos and benzo wd. It isnt easy but I believe we will all get to where we need to be eventually. You take care..I know you have had a very tough journey and I hope in the near future you will be healed. Love, Colleen

Vancouver Girl - is it Dr. Wright that you are going to see?  I wrote him an e-mail and he answered me and said something to the effect tha if we stay off all benzos and other drugs that effect the brains, we have immense capability to get our brain back to its original state..  If I can find his e-mail - I will cut and paste it here.

Hi Hope, yes Dr. Wright. I am meeting him in 2 1/2 weeks actually, not this Wed, that is another appt. Oops.

I can't wait to meet him. His research doctors group at the university talks about neurontin and how it is not as effective as docs are told by the pharmecuetical company, and it's all marketing why so many are on it. They have many many podcasts about tons of drugs. I think I posted that and I really like people to be informed so they can make their own decision with as many facts as they can get.

That would be great if you could copy and paste his letter. That makes sense what he said. He has a pharmacology degree among other degrees, has been around a while researching drug interactions, mechanisms of actions, and prescribing behaviors so he knows what he is talking about. It's not layman.

Thanks a lot for that Hope! xo

Hi VG, I understand your concern about the cymbalta...believe me I didnt start this med without giving it a lot of consideration. Just know my own limits. I love the fact that you are always looking out for everyone here and posting what you have learned from all the research you do. I love and respect you so much. Hope this year treats you well.  :smitten:Colleen

Hi Colleen. I know you've given things much consideration. I'm just worried because regardless of how "nice and compassionate"  some are, so are those that put many on benzos in that they are doctors that meant well.

The real life experiences on the forum I gave you, are completely different then the information that is written about the drug by the pharmeceutical co. EXACT same cycle that happens with benzos. THAT'S the only information he is passing to you. Same dynamic again.

And I experienced everything they are talking about on the cymbalta forum coming off.

I do understand it's a big catch22 and everyone having limits of what they can personally take. This type of pain is over the top, sci-fi like.  I do understand that. What can you do? How much can you take? I "get" it. I do.

I love you too. I just get really worried and I'm speaking from experience. I was on BOTH drugs.  :-\

I hope this year sees so much more healing for you too. Less physical pain for starters. xo

I'm not yet in protracted WD (at 11 months out) but I am still struggling every day and do not expect that things are going to let up any time real soon  :( I was wondering though whether there is a pattern on recovery with regards whether someone tapered of CTd?? Do people who CT seem to be more likely to experience protracted WD?

Hi Ruralie, you're right. Typically tapering versus C/T,  the taper may will not go protracted. But a taper. NOT a rapid fast taper as that is as good as a C/T.

I'm sorry it is tough for you right now Ruralie. Still struggling everyday huh.  :therethere:

Sorry you.... xoxo

Here's some success stories for those further out. I mean further out, like a couple years and beyond. And they heal. It just took a while for these late healers like me and some of us here.

Maybe some of you will see similarities that can make you feel better to compare some things that go on further out. Perhaps you thought the symptoms should have left already but see some still have the SAME issues further out, as well as validation in healing happens.................eventually, which is really not the word for "yaye"  ???  but, it happens.  :)

http://recovery-road.org/success-stories-2/

Hello all, I have been reading all your posts on here and it is both inspirational and in my case somewhat alarming. It seems protracted withdrawal could be the thing that I am flirting with by going ct one week ago today. I have been well enough to go to public places, sleep and enjoy most things but anxiety and physical symptoms do pop their head out.  My psych said that since I have gone a week without any major symptoms I should keep going even though he would have had me take at least .5mg each night for a couple weeks and see if it was fine to quit from there. Curious if any of you think  I should start taking .5 each night or only take one on a need be basis. I know .5 seems like a large jump from 1.5mg but I think it could suffice to where I would stabilize since I have gone a week.  Any opinions would be awesome, I don't think my psych knows about protracted withdrawal.

Imo ct is very risky, if I had it to do over again I would taper off. You may be lucky though and be just fine. I ct 3 times before and never had a problem. Best of luck and be well. Colleen

Hi Vertigo, Its so kind of you to write me. I always appreciate your thoughtful posts. Its really sad about my mom...I feel so bad for her and plan to be more involved soon...meanwhile my cousin is in charge and meeting with her team tomorrow. I do remember that your dad has cancer. I hope he is holding his own.

The doctor was really campassionate and thats what I appreciate about him. He did seem knowledgeable, but there probably isnt a perfect solution for me, but I trust that he is trying.

Three years now since your taper...wow you have put in your time in benzoland...so glad you are mostly on the other side now. I hope you are finally living a great life again..you deserve that. Take care. Love, Colleen

Hi Colleen.  I'm glad that your cousin will be there to support your mother until you are able to be there. As far as the cymbalta, I'm not that up on it as VancouverG and others may be.  I wonder why your doctor thought elavil would not be strong enough.  I think it was about six months ago on the c/t thread that I  mentioned elavil as one of the medications I had read about which might help with pain, depression and insomnia.  Ultimately, I think you made the right decision to try something after so much pain and time lost.  Hopefully the Cymbalta will work for you and won't be too hard to taper off at some point when you are feeling well enough. 

Best wishes and I hope your mother feels better soon,

Vertigo

Thanks for the input. I just feel I am at a cross roads where I am going to look back and say either "dam I should have tapered more"or "I was lucky that my symptoms werent to bad." Anyone think I should reinstate even though I dont feel any bad symptoms after a week? I just dont think protracted withdrawal is something my doc is even thinking about.

Hello all, I have been reading all your posts on here and it is both inspirational and in my case somewhat alarming. It seems protracted withdrawal could be the thing that I am flirting with by going ct one week ago today.

Hi Kenocamb32, I'm really sorry about your predicament you are in.

Protracted is a big concern for c/t people. I am NOT a fan and would never promote a c/t, I've seen too much here. I wish I would have KNOWN to taper.

However, there was a member here whose sister got off Ativan with NO problem. She on the other hand, has had problems.

I have been well enough to go to public places, sleep and enjoy most things but anxiety and physical symptoms do pop their head out. 

IF, you feel like you may get a free-er ticket, I did the first quit, I didn't know what I was on. BUT the doc convinced me I had anxiety from GAD never having had anxiety before benzos.  I listened and reinstated after 2 months to get some sleep, we didn't know I'd been in w/d and I may have been able to ride it out. POINT being, I could maybe have been okay on that one.  Maybe, unless symptoms showed up later much stronger. No physical symptoms, no nuero stuff early out on that one. Just insomnia, and anxiety. This one, no way. I knew it was a side effect the way I hit my brain, and the w/d built.

IF you are seeing things pop too much over the next week, I wouldn't continue riding it out. And, many docs don't realize, early out is NOT an indicator of how your withdrawal will be.

My psych said that since I have gone a week without any major symptoms I should keep going even though he would have had me take at least .5mg each night for a couple weeks and see if it was fine to quit from there.

I can't believe your psyche said that. I'm sorry. Taking .5 mg of Ativan each night for a couple more weeks has no baring on anything other than you are taking more benzo for a couple weeks. You're still in the exact same position quitting then, as you are now. Make sense? If you are ALREADY dependent with symptoms, it makes no sense he would say take more, see if you're fine and then quit.

Fine with what? You just said you have symptoms pop up here and there so it's now been established you have symptoms, so how could you be fine taking more and quitting later? Do you see what I mean?

If you aren't dependent right now, 2 more weeks on will get you there.

Curious if any of you think  I should start taking .5 each night or only take one on a need be basis.

If you are already dependent, and start sporadic dosing what you are doing is making it harder on your brain. You're waiting till your symptoms rise, and only taking a benzo to temper it. That's yo-yoing doses. Your brain needs EVEN doses to stay balanced IF you are dependent.

IF you are NOT dependent, then one can sporadic dose. Once you become dependent, the rules have changed. You want the brain out of stress. You do not want to ride withdrawal symptoms until you can't take it, and then dose. Make sense?

I know .5 seems like a large jump from 1.5mg but I think it could suffice to where I would stabilize since I have gone a week.  Any opinions would be awesome, I don't think my psych knows about protracted withdrawal.

.5 mg of Ativan is equal to 5 mg of valium.

1.5 mg of Ativan is then 15mg of valium.

That's a jump. But, perhaps if you decided you wanted to reinstate to taper after a few more days, .5 would be enough. Time would tell if you could stabalize on the dose or have to go up.

I'm glad you're sleeping right now. You should know soon enough, a more realistic gage of where you are at.

I'm posting this not to scare you, but I want you to see what Malcolm Lader says about Ativan. It was not supposed to be on the market because of side effects, but too many were put on and they didn't know how to get them off. There's a documentary about just that.

This is a good paper for doctors to see although Dr. Lader is quick to say, therapeutic doses are addicting.12 paragraphs down is this excerpt.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/lader2.htm

>>"When somebody comes into my office and says that they've been trying to stop their lorazepam, my heart sinks because I know I shall have twice as much of a problem as getting them off, say, Valium: the symptoms are more severe, they're more persistent, more bizarre, and people are much more distressed by them... I feel that this compound should not now be prescribed because of the problems which may arise in some patients." Professor Malcolm Lader, member of the Committee on the Review of Medicines, Brass Tacks, BBC2, October 20, 1987.<<

Hi Romansandals and Believe!! A friend sent that to me about 3 months ago. It sure helped me too. I have Tim's drill and electric brain among other "interior" brain things. It really helped me too going, "Okay, I'm not alone in duration."

We all just want to get back to life huh?

:smitten: