Post Benzo Protracted Withdrawal Support Group

[Al...]

[54...]

Aw thanks SO MUCH ladies.  I truly appreciate all of your input & care & responses.  :-* Strange the anger is just not there today, so only God knows.  I do tend to try & UNDERSTAND everything :) cos that reduces my anxiety somewhat. I always used to have to know who, what, where, when & WHY.  Yeah struggling by myself through all of this has certainly angered, shocked & hurt me ALOT.  I guess I just have to forgive & forget all of that somehow, let it go & keep forging ahead.  I truly am grateful for what has healed, but I'm so frustrated with this damage & so flabberghasted on what to do to help (wisdom wise). Thats the biggie - safe reliable guidance on how to heal.  I so wish I had even my common sense wisdom back to follow!!!

Its just so hard to try & deal with all this ALONE & know who to trust.  If it werent for the love & commitment of my Mum I simply wouldnt have fought & hung on so hard & so long.  Love is a powerful motivating force to fight & hang onto.

I think when my memory of previous life wisdom starts becoming more ACCESSIBLE I wont be AS distressed & angry ETC cos I'll have my wisdom back (such as it was) - everything will fall back into place maybe.  I think I'm overstimulating myself again, so perhaps had best wind down.

I just hope & pray we ALL find wisdom/answers & solutions to this unbelieveable ordeal.  I pray you all grow stronger & stronger EVERY day & actually start noticing progress & results that are encouraging/heartwarming for you again.  As for me I'm gonna commit myself to gentle WALKING to try & get my health back, & continuing to pray for guidance & a LOUDER intuition!!!

I went out for the 1st time 2nite in ages (with my Ma).  Boy it was so hard with the brain like it is-OVERSTIMULATION wise.  It's been so long since I've been back in the world.  I met a guy who said he knew some1 with brain damage & it DID take a long time for them to heal.  He said the 2 year mark was a DEFINITE time of seeing more improvement  :yippee: & the 3rd year too  :yippee:, so that is encouraging to have that reinforced.

It's just learning to ACCEPT what we've got for now, which is my biggest problem, too much of a fighter & wanting to change things lol & with little clarity.  Apparently us creative types are like that anyways - always trying to change & improve things rather than accepting the norm.

Anyway ladies God Bless you all & thanks again for being "out there" for me :)

xoxoxoxo Much Love, Hugs & Prayers, Ruth xoxoxoxoxo

And wow every1 tells me I'm such a good writer or have a gift for words...what is God trying to tell me thru all that lol!!!!! Perhaps that will be my new job for when I'm healed??? Not that I have a desire for it thats for sure!!!

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [va...]

• [Wh...]

• [st...]

• [ve...]

In a few weeks time, it will be 3 years since I quit Benzos.

Most of my symptoms have now either gone or diminished except for Tinnitus and Gastro-Intestinal problems - which if anything have got worse.

I'd be interested to know if any others close to, or beyond, three years out are still having lots of issues such as - severe bloating, stomach gurgling,  reflux burning the lining off of mouth and throat, mucus in stool, etc.

Thus far I've had blood tests, a gastrocopy and endoscopy (without tranquiliser or pain relief - big ouch!!!), biopsies for Coeliac and will soon also have a barium follow-through. Nothing found thus far that is causing it.

It is at its worst when I have muscle twitches and tinnitus increase so I know it is still withdrawal-related.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I'm looking for help. I'm 21 months off and was doing fine, not great, but ok, till a month ago my doctor tired to boost my thryroid meds. I'm hypothyroid and have been medicated for 25 years. Well, it was a disaster, cause terrible anxiety and muscle spasms, I went back to my usual dosage the very next day and descended into the hell of what feels like C/T wd over a period of four weeks Friday. It seemed like it was getting better in that I had started sleeping again, but then last night I boosted my Vit. C a little, just a smidgeon, I use it for bowel function as that's something that has yet to resolve and my body hated it, it all came back, the raging hissing in my ears, the nerve pain, the dry mouth, the jumpy legs.... today is a nightmare. So tonight I'll cut down on the Vit. C again and obviously won't be hiking that again any time soon but I mean come on, seriously, 21 months? One day hike of Synthroid? This?????

Can anyone shed some light on this, and hope as to how and when it will balance out???

thank you,

marina

Hi all.

I am only 4 months out and am pretty sure I am headed this way after  2.5 yr tolerance w/d from 3mg/day xanax (accidental addict)  My w/d has been very severe and tapered a short 4 months.  Once I found out (after 2+ yrs) where all my sx were coming from...I couldnt take the poison for any longer. I look forward to reading all the stories of where I am probably headed. Bless u all.  I thank God for this group of peeps :smitten: x

Dear Friends,

I wanted to post to you all again because so many of you are around my time frame as we continue to wait to turn the corner. I hope it is okay to just talk to you all because I am having another depersonalized, hollow gut depressed day and I just feel so poorly as the minutes and hours tick by and the day feels like a hopeless waste.  I don't even want to eat again.

Anyway,  I just wanted to know how you all know that you are on track waiting this awful withdrawal out.  Everyday I doubt that I am doing the right thing waiting on time to heal me because the agony continues like no time has passed at all. 

I wonder if I am on the right track and if I am just so stubborn and wanting it my way that I want a  life that does not have to be dependent on any pills to make me feel connected and interested in people, places and purpose in life.  None of this is there inside of me day after day after day.  The cycling of symptoms rapid or all day just keep going in no patterns and I just don't know what to do. 

Nothing seems to be getting better and I know that those who have made it to the other side say that healing can be imperceptible.

But so many others say that they could see the gradual progress, but I can't.  I just suffer so much and it has been so very long after 22 months and a week. 

I know several of my friends here are ahead of me on time and still suffering.  This is so scary to me.  But it seems that those who are ahead of me have a sense that they are healing or have a strong resolve that they are going to keep going and believe they will heal.  I don't and I am scared and every day I say to myself over and over under my breath, "What should I do?"  "Who should I talk to?"  "Where should I go?"  I just feel every day that I am suffering and need to do something about it. 

I absolutely can not make the depression or any of these many symptoms go away.  Yes, like others have said. . .the symptoms just go away by themselves and all they did was wait on time.  It makes sense.  But I continue to suffer and wonder if waiting on time does not make sense for me.  I am wondering if I am just trying to make this work out for me that I will heal with time and post a success story and that it is not going to turn out this way for me. 

Maybe there is something I need to take but I just don't know what it would be and I am scared of anything and everything right now.  About 4 months of anti depressants in the crazy cocktail of doctor guessing games made me very very sick and I am terrified of the anti depressants.  My husband has studied up on them very much and he has shared so much negative information about them and the horror stories of them.  And yet I am terrified that I will be forced to have to take them with the awful side effects and they are powerful and I don't metabolize powerful drugs. 

I don't know anybody who takes anti depressants that say that they are just wonderful.  I know one who just started them and says they are wonderful.  I have heard others say that they had side effects, didn't feel good or was so sick for many months getting off of them.  So I don't want to take them ever.  I am scared.  I say this all the time.

Even if I need thyroid and I don't even know if I do or don't because some docs say yes and others say no and so who knows? 

But thyroid medication or support couldn't even touch how suffering crazy I am.

When I get a half way lift that only comes maybe twice or three times a month, that is when I don't feel like I need anything.  I just feel better even if I am not 100 percent and I don't need any kind of pill that I can tell when I get a half way lift.  But is it a lift or a fluke in this whole cycling mess.

Rondo, what you wrote about the lifts and everything you said is exactly how I am.

Is anyone fearful every single day that they aren't going to heal and that they will be forced to take pills????  Does anyone struggle with this fear like I do?  Please write to me and talk to me about how you all now that you are on the right track. Thank you  Hope4us

Dear Friends,

I have a question.  I want to know why I am this far out and I still can't face anything that has to do with my kids, family, friends, or interests without falling a part in anguishing grieving depression and crippling anxiety over being completely disconnected from everyone that I loved and everything that gave me meaning and purpose?

I try to make myself do the things that I used to do but these things all have to do with my kids, family and people and I just fall apart in depressing defeat.  I can't text my grown kids.  I can't even get Valentine cards ready for my grandsons without deep grief and anxiety that I cannot even feel love or joy or humor or fun for them or with them.  I can't look at family photos.  Things around the house are 20 some years old when the kids were little and just glancing at them can bring deep painful grief and anxiety.

Every day I hold my cell phone and pray that God will let me connect to my kids but it never comes.  If I can't text my kids then all else doesn't matter.  I need so deperately to connect to my loved ones. 

I sit and so many people come to mind but there is no love and joy behind the thoughts and only grief and anxiety with the thoughts.  I think of good things I should do for others or to work on my interests but the feelings that give the drive to do these things are not there and with these thoughts also come gut wrenching grief and depression that is already in my body and anxiety that I haven't changed again after all these many months.

Please talk with me about this and I pray that we can wake up and feel all the good that we should naturally feel.  Please talk to me about this.  I need so desperately to connect to my kids and to others.  I want to badly to travel to see them sometime and the years have passed and I have stayed this way and my grandsons are three years older and I am still suffering depression, depersonalization and am too fearful to see them this way.  Please talk to me.  Hope4us

[54...]

But thyroid medication or support couldn't even touch how suffering crazy I am.

When I get a half way lift that only comes maybe twice or three times a month, that is when I don't feel like I need anything.  I just feel better even if I am not 100 percent and I don't need any kind of pill that I can tell when I get a half way lift.  But is it a lift or a fluke in this whole cycling mess.

Rondo, what you wrote about the lifts and everything you said is exactly how I am.

Is anyone fearful every single day that they aren't going to heal and that they will be forced to take pills????  Does anyone struggle with this fear like I do?  Please write to me and talk to me about how you all now that you are on the right track. Thank you  Hope4us

Hi Hope4us,

I would like to suggest that you try checking out your hormones.  You mention you get a PARTIAL LIFT throughout the month.  I am by no means a Natural Doctor but that suggests to me that your hormonal cycle may be struggling enormously (as a partial root cause).  This link suggests why women can be struggling with EXTRA anxiety & depression, energy etc - IN ADDITION to the fact of the protracted damage that we are all struggling with. 

There ARE natural alternatives, you just have to search for & be open to them.  I believe the KEY though is not looking to "conventional medicine" anymore.

As far as the depersonalization & being unable to connect with others goes - I struggle with this too & it grieves me so, but I know there is nothing I can do about it for now til my brain/body has healed more.  I can only say that when you are connected back up to yourself, you'll again be able to connect with your loved ones.

IMO CONVENTIONAL medicine does not hold ANY cures or keys to total wellness anymore, because they dont look at the root cause of the problem anymore, they only treat the symptoms, so the cycle goes round and around & also our suffering. So a huge paradigm shift for me in my health solutions from now on!!!

So I would strongly suggest:

Looking at this video & getting a saliva test done & possibly supplementing with natural progesterone cream (make sure you get yourself supervised by a NATURAL hormone nurse for this)

Walking (you will have to push yourself!)

Lots of Water (this helps the body & brain enormously)

As natural a foods as you can get

Trying to get good supportive/loving/encouraging Company

http://www.johnleemd.com/store/resource_hormonetest.html

Trust/following your intuition 100% to GUIDE you

Trying to be gentle with yourself & working WITH your body & emotions - it's trying to tell u something is wrong the best way it knows how so TRUST it.  This video & others like it explain the relationship between hormones, thyroid & adrenal function or dysfunction.

I have to keep reminding myself of the WHOLE picture (when I can see it).  Companionship, Support/Encouragement, Good Food, Proper Rest/Sleep, Gentle Exercise, Supplements & researching alternative therapies for solutions. So solutions for MIND, BODY & SPIRIT. 

I'd just like to add a note for ALL THE PROTRACTED LADIES  :smitten: that since starting the natural progesterone cream I'm starting to shed weight (fat) super quick, without even trying (that was before I re-started walking)! This is JUST A BONUS to me as I really would rather feel mentally/emotionally better instead  :-\ dammit, but other ppl are starting to comment so it must be true. (This is just stuff I got over the net, I'm still waiting for my proper scripted natural stuff & there can be a whole lot of BS out there as far as the creams go, so natural progesterone NOT wild yam or whatever).

So looking OUTSIDE THE SQUARE of conventional "treatments" to find cures is KEY!!!

I would say with anything, especially in this hyper-sensitive state, just listen/trust your body 1st & foremost on what it likes & doesnt like. It WILL be scary trial & error. I hope that helps.  I sure wish someone would have told me about this YEARS ago!!!

Just a note I am NOT a doc, nor is science my forte AT ALL (in fact I find it quite confusing), so whatever any1 suggests to try it is their responsibility at the end of the day for the choices they make & choose to follow.  However I do feel we all need to share FRESH IDEAS/SOLUTIONS presented to us cos by ourselves in this state its hard!!!

Also http://www.health-truth.com/126.php regarding Thyroid & Progesterone.

Also

re the same.

Also

Also http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=cz9HhZ-QoFI.

[54...]

Hi again all,

I've been going from extreme bluntedness (most of the time) to feeling EXTREMELY super sensitive emotionally.

Just wondering is this the START of the reconnection to self & feelings again???  This seems to have been going on for awhile now.  It's all extremely confusing having been so blunted & feeling so dead inside for so long to now times of extremely super sensitive (then quickly back to blunted deadness again, but also feeling EXTREMELY dangerously low-well duh I am by myself in all this struggle/fight) with no1 to truly connect with.

The Depression is just dangerously CRUSHING at this stage, when I CAN feel  :tickedoff: :'( will it EVER end??? What are the solutions that I HAVENT tried??? I know other stuff I've read on solving depression also suggests a real heart/soul CONNECTION with someone too-I feel I have NO1 that I have a real heart/soul connection with.  Also humour - but how can that touch us when we're so god awfully blunted??? It just goes into your head, rather than actually touching you.

I wish someone could pull a funny face to try & make me laugh. I used to have my son at home to goof off with before all this mess started, now I have no1  :-\.

I just watched that movie "Prozac Nation" and boy can I really relate to how that young woman feels at the mo. :-\ :'( - she just felt so misunderstood because everything was so painful & no1 really understood all the pain she had cos she felt so intensely & no1 really had any wise solutions that actually helped.

My previous life wisdom has been inaccessible this whole entire time, now I am kinda STARTING to get dribs & drabs of that back too, but only dribs & drabs.  Is that the way it happened for others too??? Anybody hear of others accounts of this???

I'd appreciate even if you guys have no experience of this yourselves YET, that you may let me know if you've heard this was the way it happened for others also. C'mon people we are here to share what works & doesnt work so lets share fresh ideas/solutions together.

Thanks in advance  :smitten:!!!

"I'd just like to add a note for ALL THE PROTRACTED LADIES  :smitten: that since starting the natural progesterone cream I'm starting to shed weight (fat) super quick, without even trying (that was before I re-started walking)! This is JUST A BONUS to me as I really would rather feel mentally/emotionally better instead  :-\ dammit, but other ppl are starting to comment so it must be true. (This is just stuff I got over the net, I'm still waiting for my proper scripted natural stuff & there can be a whole lot of BS out there as far as the creams go, so natural progesterone NOT wild yam or whatever)."

Ruthiealison...this is a quote from a post you made earlier..i am wondering what kind of cream yo are taking that isn't derived from wild yam?

[54...]

"I'd just like to add a note for ALL THE PROTRACTED LADIES  :smitten: that since starting the natural progesterone cream I'm starting to shed weight (fat) super quick, without even trying (that was before I re-started walking)! This is JUST A BONUS to me as I really would rather feel mentally/emotionally better instead  :-\ dammit, but other ppl are starting to comment so it must be true. (This is just stuff I got over the net, I'm still waiting for my proper scripted natural stuff & there can be a whole lot of BS out there as far as the creams go, so natural progesterone NOT wild yam or whatever)."

Ruthiealison...this is a quote from a post you made earlier..i am wondering what kind of cream yo are taking that isn't derived from wild yam?

At the moment I am using something called "Natpro" which I got over the net.  When I get my proper scriped stuff I will use that instead.  If you go to the websites I listed earlier they will explain (well his book does anyway) that wild yam creams do NOT work the same.  He said they are not the real deal. (Dr John R Lee, Pioneer in Natural Progesterone Supplementation).

At the moment I am using something called "Natpro" which I got over the net.  When I get my proper scriped stuff I will use that instead.  If you go to the websites I listed earlier they will explain (well his book does anyway) that wild yam creams do NOT work the same.  He said they are not the real deal. (Dr John R Lee, Pioneer in Natural Progesterone Supplementation).

I researched this and found that "Natpro" is made from Soy...Dr. Lee's site poo poo's wild yam base because of it's "estrogen qualities"...yet Soy is too...this is all so confusing!  I am glad it is working for you though! I'm taking Vitex hoping to fix my low progesterone from the foundation up...it takes longer, but I'm just too scared right now to try the P cream.

[54...]

I researched this and found that "Natpro" is made from Soy...Dr. Lee's site poo poo's wild yam base because of it's "estrogen qualities"...yet Soy is too...this is all so confusing!  I am glad it is working for you though! I'm taking Vitex hoping to fix my low progesterone from the foundation up...it takes longer, but I'm just too scared right now to try the P cream.

Yeah I understand on the too scared part Sunny - for me it is ALL scary trial & error too!  What I'm finding out is there are SO MANY different approaches to 1 problem, thats the confusing part!!! Knowing which is best/wise.

Also, I've just been researching the thyroid more too.  Interesting!!!  It MAY explain why I still have a CONSTANT SPEECH PROBLEM still (I mean it is SEVERELY impaired, not just hoarse.  I thought that was just from the damage of the benzos cos it happened after the doc-induced 3/4 cold turkey.  Have to go back to the ENT Specialist again soon too ugh).

I STILL have a CONSTANT feeling of a big lump or GOLFBALL in my throat.  I've found out the area that I am pushing on instinctively in my throat is the THYROID gland!!!  And when I push it in real hard, my normal voice almost comes back to normal!!! So that tells me something there, cos the ENT said last time that the Neurologists had said it was Tardive Dyskinesia (scary) & possibly related to some sort of damage (I havent heard from the sods, nor did THEY tell me that!).

So perhaps its not JUST my progesterone levels, nor just the protracted damage, but ALSO my thyroid???? Arrrrrgh, soooooo frustrating & confusing. I've read some amazing testimonies, as below & once again from ppl who had NORMAL blood tests for thyroid too.

God I am researching like friggin mad to try & find the root cause of my problems here & me too am getting so confused!!! (Cos Science just aint my forte!!!).  If my Natural doc wont give me the Natural Thyroid & Natural Progesterone cream to try I will....shoot him lol  :laugh: just kidding....I will find another way around it!!!  Wish me luck.  I sure hope I am onto something here as the root cause of my anxiety & depression cos this depression now is just the worst I've EVER had in my life now.  It may seem the thyroid is more it because I have always had a HUGE SENSITIVITY to cold as well, moreso than others, just bonechillingly cold!!! My Mum has also suffered from cold hands & feet all her life too.  So maybe this is genetic??? God knows!!!  Boy if anything I am fiercely diligent lol, but I am trying to save my own life here.  Quote below from a person who started using Thyroid meds & felt so much better.  And there ARE natural alternatives to the synthetic drug versions too.

"Now I know that in good psychiatric care a thyroid test is done for any person presenting with the symptoms I had or as a routine procedure.

There is a history of thyroid disease and other autoimmune diseases in my mother’s family. I have found out that one male second cousin suffered confusion and paranoia before being totally restored to mental health by thyroxine for his hypothyroidism.

I feel good on 175mcg of thyroxine a day. It has “restored me to myself” and I am very grateful to it because I love my brain and want to get on with my life. Brains need oxygen and thyroxine helped with that! I have often felt angry but feel that blame is not helpful. My experience was physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually challenging and it made me rethink my ideas about everything. Trying to stop this oversight from happening to other people is my healing process, my way of making something good from something very painful and difficult." 

Aw crap now I've lost the link of where I got that from!!!

Lastly this Natural (Female) Doc talks about putting her patient on Natural Progesterone AND Thyroid & her patient came back jumping for joy!!!  ;D.  She truly sounds like she cares & helps us women out to find CURES!!!

So I'm truly gonna push/fight for Natural Progesterone & Natural Thyroid Medication as if my life depended on it, cos it does!!! I have been told that one day I will be "dancing for joy".  I know I'm not gonna get there sitting on my buttootie though, I know its gonna take loads research (yep with a brain like this) & fierce digging & sifting to take steps to get there, so I am truly hoping this is finally it!!! (Well, part of the keys anyway).  Once again, sorry for the long post peeps, but I hope by this discussion that it catches someone elses eye & gets them inspired thinking/investigating for themselves too. xoxoxo

Dear Friends,

I wanted to ask are there any women my age. . .I'm 53. . .that have gone through a protracted withdrawal and healed and can attest that menopause was not the reason for the raging, irritability and the dark depression?

Are there any women who have healed from a long protracted withdrawal that are menopausal age and can tell us if they are doing well without hormones?

Are there any women out there who have healed from a long protracted withdrawal who are menopausal age and know that hormones make them feel wonderful? Thank you everybody. 

Also, I decided to go ahead and make Valentine cards for my little grandsons even while I am suffering trying to think of good thoughts with no good emotions behind them, no love, or joy or calm.  I decided to go ahead and try even though the depression, rage, irritability, hatefulness and anxiety cripple me from being any kind of available grandmother or mother, friend or human being.

As I was working on the cards, with acrylic paints I painted the red heart and then the thought came to whisk some yellow in the heart so that I could write to my grandson's telling them that they have hearts full of sunshine and then the depression hit my soul like a bomb because I cannot feel anything in my heart but morbid grief.

Why do I try to do good things in this condition?  It only brings on more misery and yet if I don't try to do good things I sit in despondency, despair and depression because I am not doing these things.  I miss out either way and either way hurts terribly. 

I just can't keep suffering this way and wondered if anyone else suffers this way.  Do I need to do something different than keep on waiting for the depression to go away and for joy, love and calm to come back?  Please help.

Hope4us

Yeah I understand on the too scared part Sunny - for me it is ALL scary trial & error too!  What I'm finding out is there are SO MANY different approaches to 1 problem, thats the confusing part!!! Knowing which is best/wise.

Also, I've just been researching the thyroid more too.  Interesting!!!  It MAY explain why I still have a CONSTANT SPEECH PROBLEM still (I mean it is SEVERELY impaired, not just hoarse.  I thought that was just from the damage of the benzos cos it happened after the doc-induced 3/4 cold turkey.  Have to go back to the ENT Specialist again soon too ugh).

I STILL have a CONSTANT feeling of a big lump or GOLFBALL in my throat.  I've found out the area that I am pushing on instinctively in my throat is the THYROID gland!!!  And when I push it in real hard, my normal voice almost comes back to normal!!! So that tells me something there, cos the ENT said last time that the Neurologists had said it was Tardive Dyskinesia (scary) & possibly related to some sort of damage (I havent heard from the sods, nor did THEY tell me that!).

So perhaps its not JUST my progesterone levels, nor just the protracted damage, but ALSO my thyroid???? Arrrrrgh, soooooo frustrating & confusing. I've read some amazing testimonies, as below & once again from ppl who had NORMAL blood tests for thyroid too.

God I am researching like friggin mad to try & find the root cause of my problems here & me too am getting so confused!!! (Cos Science just aint my forte!!!).  If my Natural doc wont give me the Natural Thyroid & Natural Progesterone cream to try I will....shoot him lol  :laugh: just kidding....I will find another way around it!!!  Wish me luck.  I sure hope I am onto something here as the root cause of my anxiety & depression cos this depression now is just the worst I've EVER had in my life now.  It may seem the thyroid is more it because I have always had a HUGE SENSITIVITY to cold as well, moreso than others, just bonechillingly cold!!! My Mum has also suffered from cold hands & feet all her life too.  So maybe this is genetic??? God knows!!!  Boy if anything I am fiercely diligent lol, but I am trying to save my own life here.  Quote below from a person who started using Thyroid meds & felt so much better.  And there ARE natural alternatives to the synthetic drug versions too.

"Now I know that in good psychiatric care a thyroid test is done for any person presenting with the symptoms I had or as a routine procedure.

There is a history of thyroid disease and other autoimmune diseases in my mother’s family. I have found out that one male second cousin suffered confusion and paranoia before being totally restored to mental health by thyroxine for his hypothyroidism.

I feel good on 175mcg of thyroxine a day. It has “restored me to myself” and I am very grateful to it because I love my brain and want to get on with my life. Brains need oxygen and thyroxine helped with that! I have often felt angry but feel that blame is not helpful. My experience was physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually challenging and it made me rethink my ideas about everything. Trying to stop this oversight from happening to other people is my healing process, my way of making something good from something very painful and difficult." 

Lastly this Natural (Female) Doc talks about putting her patient on Natural Progesterone AND Thyroid & her patient came back jumping for joy!!!  ;D.  She truly sounds like she cares & helps us women out to find CURES!!!

So I'm truly gonna push/fight for Natural Progesterone & Natural Thyroid Medication as if my life depended on it, cos it does!!! I have been told that one day I will be "dancing for joy".  I know I'm not gonna get there sitting on my buttootie though, I know its gonna take loads research (yep with a brain like this) & fierce digging & sifting to take steps to get there, so I am truly hoping this is finally it!!! (Well, part of the keys anyway).  Once again, sorry for the long post peeps, but I hope by this discussion that it catches someone elses eye & gets them inspired thinking/investigating for themselves too. xoxoxo

I sure hope you found the answer!  My mom and Grandmother have been on thyroid hormone for years.  The get really cranky and depressed if they don't take it. 

If you get tested for thyroid problems, make sure they test BOTH T4 and T3.  They usually only test T4, which isn't always an accurate gauge.  Also, sometimes you can be making plenty of thyroid hormone, but have an inablility to use it properly. This can result in a normal thyroid screen, even though you are having issues. 

I really hope this is staightforward for you and you get what you need to get better!

Well everyone, I think it's time for me to face the fact that I might be entering protracted wd, since at 8 months out I still only feel about 40% (at the most) healed. Many days I will only feel  about 15% healed, but then on the days when I have my windows I feel up to 50% healed. That's on a very, very, very good day, mind you. Even just imaging that 50%.... ah, it's heaven. Some days I am functional, others I am not.

Does this mean I'm on the road to protracted wd? I've accepted the fact that I should expect at least 1.5-2 years for all of this to be over with. I've just put my body through FAR too many different psych drugs for over 9 years, and at such a young age that I fear they have affected my development.

[54...]

I sure hope you found the answer!  My mom and Grandmother have been on thyroid hormone for years.  The get really cranky and depressed if they don't take it. 

If you get tested for thyroid problems, make sure they test BOTH T4 and T3.  They usually only test T4, which isn't always an accurate gauge.  Also, sometimes you can be making plenty of thyroid hormone, but have an inablility to use it properly. This can result in a normal thyroid screen, even though you are having issues. 

I really hope this is staightforward for you and you get what you need to get better!

Aw thanks SO MUCH for sharing that Sagemom!!!  That is SUPER IMPORTANT/INTERESTING to know, so thanks so much!  I have had my thyroid tested in the past & it all came back normal (blood tests).  However I've also had blood tests for my hormones in the past & they came back normal too, but the saliva test showed a VERY different story & of course all the symptoms (pre-benzo) that my body was screaming at me for too (incl severe tube pain) so I do believe what these Natural Docs are saying about blood tests coming back normal - but there still being a problem that can be corrected with the NATURAL hormones i.e. progesterone AND thyroid ones. I've heard there is a Natural Thyroid med - is this the one your Ma & Grandma are on??  I would only venture to take natural ones in this hyper-sensitive state right now.  I've written myself a note & will print out all this stuff for when I go see my Natural Doc this Monday!!!  (And I've found a compounding pharmacy on the net that is not too far away from me that sell most of these things, so I just need that damn script!  ;D).

Thanks so much for being such a sweetheart  :smitten:xoxoxo

FYI everyone - I've also heard from others that these swings from bluntedness to highly sensitive emotionally ARE common and SIGNS OF HEALING, so even though its hell - it's comforting/encouraging to know this is a GOOD SIGN of healing!!!

Aw thanks SO MUCH for sharing that Sagemom!!!  That is SUPER IMPORTANT/INTERESTING to know, so thanks so much!  I have had my thyroid tested in the past & it all came back normal (blood tests).  However I've also had blood tests for my hormones in the past & they came back normal too, but the saliva test showed a VERY different story & of course all the symptoms (pre-benzo) that my body was screaming at me for too (incl severe tube pain) so I do believe what these Natural Docs are saying about blood tests coming back normal - but there still being a problem that can be corrected with the NATURAL hormones i.e. progesterone AND thyroid ones. I've heard there is a Natural Thyroid med - is this the one your Ma & Grandma are on??  I would only venture to take natural ones in this hyper-sensitive state right now.  I've written myself a note & will print out all this stuff for when I go see my Natural Doc this Monday!!!  (And I've found a compounding pharmacy on the net that is not too far away from me that sell most of these things, so I just need that damn script!  ;D).

Thanks so much for being such a sweetheart  :smitten:xoxoxo

FYI everyone - I've also heard from others that these swings from bluntedness to highly sensitive emotionally ARE common and SIGNS OF HEALING, so even though its hell - it's comforting/encouraging to know this is a GOOD SIGN of healing!!!

Yes, my mom and Grandma are Armour thyroid, which is a totally natural thyroid hormone medication.  They've done really well on it, my mom especially.  It's so much better than synthetic, because it includes substances that we need but is missing from synthetic hormones. 

I wish I had hypothyroidism so I could take thyroid and feel better, I'm hyperthyroid right now.  That's miserable and there's not much you can do about it unless its' severe, and then the treatment is radioactive iodine, yikes!! NOT doing that.  It usually stops after not too long and becomes hypo.  I hope soon!

hi bbs,        thought i would pop in and join your group.im nearly 2years off benzos,half way off my a/d cymbalta.now at 30mls.also on the menopause.feeling pretty crap at the moment.doctor said i now have high blood pressure and has put me on tabs for the rest off my life.great hey.i was wondering if any off you have had a problem with b.pressure.could this be a w/d sympton.love to hear from you.

Holly is would be premature to say that you are headed for protracted withdrawal at 8 months off.....it could be less or it could be more but its hard to say...you may see some great improvments at 11 months like I did.....I am at 13 months and 75% healed.  When I was at 8 months i was at 50% healed. 

So knowing that the definition of protracted is 18 months you may be ok by then. You could have a lot of good healing in the next 10 months.  Benzos are strong but they cant stop the clock so let it tick away.  Benzos cant stop the clock and time is of the essence in healing and recovery...it just is a matter of time.  It is not complicated, just time.

But I feel it is important to focus on a heal date of 24 months to be on the safe side so you dont get discouraged and give up...that is what I have done.  So many people have unrealisitic heal date goals of 4 or 6 months.....then when they find that they are still messed up they become disenchanted and distracted from staying the course. So look way out in the future and ride this out knowing each day you are closer to freedom.

In a poll I read 67% of people heal in a year and 91% by 24 months.....so stay the course and stay positive....attitude is everything now.

Andy

hi bbs, thought i would pop in and join your group.im nearly 2years off benzos,half way off my a/d cymbalta.now at 30mls.also on the menopause.feeling pretty crap at the moment.doctor said i now have high blood pressure and has put me on tabs for the rest off my life.great hey.i was wondering if any off you have had a problem with b.pressure.could this be a w/d sympton.love to hear from you.

Hi Chrissy. Congrats on 2 years off the benzo :clap:.  I'm a couple months ahead of you at 27 months today :yippee:. I wrote my "success story" at 18 months but have a few minor kinks, what I call the "final 5%". Anyway, to answer your question, I did have some blood pressure issues twice on my journey. First time was at about 3 months off.  My doc wanted to put me on beta blockers but I knew it was probably withdrawal and refused.  Things seemed to settle down.  At about 9 months off, after a summer in which I partook in spirits and some poor food choices, I returned home with elevated blood pressure again. My doctor again suggested medication but I chose instead to lose some weight and exercise, which worked.  Some folks feel they need the medication, particularly if unable to keep the weight down and exercise.  In my case, I guess I was lucky that I didn't need more medications. Perhaps the taper off the a/d is impacting your blood pressure? Well, might be best to consult with your doctor and if need be, get 2nd opinions too.

Best of luck whatever you choose to do,

Vertigo

Holly is would be premature to say that you are headed for protracted withdrawal at 8 months off.....it could be less or it could be more but its hard to say...you may see some great improvments at 11 months like I did.....I am at 13 months and 75% healed.  When I was at 8 months i was at 50% healed.    So knowing that the definition of protracted is 18 months you may be ok by then. You could have a lot of good healing in the next 10 months.  Benzos are strong but they cant stop the clock so let it tick away.  Benzos cant stop the clock and time is of the essence in healing and recovery...it just is a matter of time.  It is not complicated, just time. But I feel it is important to focus on a heal date of 24 months to be on the safe side so you dont get discouraged and give up...that is what I have done.  So many people have unrealisitic heal date goals of 4 or 6 months.....then when they find that they are still messed up they become disenchanted and distracted from staying the course. So look way out in the future and ride this out knowing each day you are closer to freedom.  In a poll I read 67% of people heal in a year and 91% by 24 months.....so stay the course and stay positive....attitude is everything now.

Andy

Very good points Andy. I agree that "protracted" is a term that applies to after 18 months.  Like you, I was about 75-80% at a year off.  I also agree that 4-6 months can be premature in terms of expecting full recovery, although many symptoms can and may improve for many folks by about half a year off and it's important to not lose sight of the progress made.  I agree that time is an important part of it too, but also one can be proactive in terms of exercise, getting rest, learning ways to manage anxiety and stress such as meditation...

Vertigo

Chrissy,

I had high blood pressure during withdrawal, and I had never had it before in my life.  I fact, I had been prone to LOW blood pressure.  So yes, withdrawal can do all sorts of strange things to you.

Vertigo ...your name scares me to death.....In my first month off I had a Vertigo attack that I thought was going to kill me....I was vomiting and crying at the same time on the bathroom floor.....I will never forget that one...it was by far my worst symptom....I have not had Vertigo since then...your name reminds me of that nightmare.

Yes there are some things we can do besides just watching the calendar to minimize and help the process.  Diet is important too.  I find that sugars ramp up my symptoms and my heart beat gets rapid .....uncomfortable.  Exercise is good now at 13+ months off but in the first 5 months that was too much for me to do...I just did not have the energy to exercise.....it depleted my energy that I needed to fight the stress of the w/d process.

Swimming and walking are good things to do i think.  Deep breathing exercises too.

Somehow we all get there eventually.  The biggest problem for me has been rotten sleep.  I really cant function on 4 hours of light sleep.  But recently I have noticed some improvments in my sleep.  I also used Passion Flower to help me relax and that helped too.  But the body and mind heal naturally over time...it all will happen and we will look back on this time and laugh...but I am not laughing yet.

Andy

Vertigo ...your name scares me to death.....In my first month off I had a Vertigo attack that I thought was going to kill me....I was vomiting and crying at the same time on the bathroom floor.....I will never forget that one...it was by far my worst symptom....I have not had Vertigo since then...your name reminds me of that nightmare.  Yes there are some things we can do besides just watching the calendar to minimize and help the process.  Diet is important too.  I find that sugars ramp up my symptoms and my heart beat gets rapid .....uncomfortable.  Exercise is good now at 13+ months off but in the first 5 months that was too much for me to do...I just did not have the energy to exercise.....it depleted my energy that I needed to fight the stress of the w/d process. Swimming and walking are good things to do i think.  Deep breathing exercises too.  Somehow we all get there eventually.  The biggest problem for me has been rotten sleep.  I really cant function on 4 hours of light sleep.  But recently I have noticed some improvments in my sleep.  I also used Passion Flower to help me relax and that helped too.  But the body and mind heal naturally over time...it all will happen and we will look back on this time and laugh...but I am not laughing yet.

Andy

Looks like we had some similar experience with vertigo, Andy.  Mine was pretty bad after three weeks after a c/t off valium.  I only had one other minor experience with mild vertigo at about 14 months off during a difficult stressful period where I was getting very little sleep for about a week straight after we got a puppy.  By the way, I ended up reinstating after that severe vertigo experience (the first one) and then I did a slow taper off the valium a few months later and vertigo did not return, until 14 months off, but it was very mild and went away.  Like you, I hope there won't be a return of vertigo and at over 2 years off, I don't expect it. 

Actually today is exactly 27 months off valium for me.  I'm about 95%, still have a few minor issues with sleep.  If you check my thread (post benzo freedom withdrawal support) from which Albie got the idea to do this thread for "protracted post benzo" (which was a great idea), you can read about others who are off (not protracted) but still dealing with sleep issues and so forth, most who are posting are in their first year off.  I still check in and offer my support and report on my quest to get better sleep and go beyond where I was in terms of health before benzos.  I had some anxiety and fatigue before I took valium. I did not expect those things to vanish once I finished my taper.  Quite the contrary.  I expected about six months to a year of getting back to where I was (hoped it would be closer to six!), which was not perfect health.  Yet I still believe that I can improve things beyond where they were before I took valium, in terms of sleep, awareness and better coping skills for stress.  Mostly I avoid other medications or supplements, but I'm at a point where I have decided to see if a few supplements might help improve my sleep from six hours to maybe seven or more.  I made a concerted effort to avoid supplements in my first year off though.  Others may find that they can get benefit from them earlier.

Vertigo

Vertigo it is kind of you to offer support and advice to others not so far along in the timeline to recovery...very helpful.  This is kinda like a book...I am on chapter 13 andd you are on chapter 27...you know more of what it is all about becasue you are further along in the book. Cngrats on 27 months off Vertigo...nice.

You have been off Valium twice as long as i have at 13+ months....

I had some anxiety issues that translated to poor sleep so that is why I started with the Valium back in 2004.  It worked well for me for three or four years then needed to increase dose  becauseame tolerant...then I decided to stop and not go any further and glad i did that.  Enough is enough.....

I fear Vertigo like cancer.  I have not had any attacks but hope I never do again....I had my Vertigo only in the morning when I woke up for ten days straight...sucked believe me.

So far no more...like you..no more....whew!

Sleep is bad for me still.....I use suppliments a few times a week.  Had some success with Passion Flower....caps and tea.  Calms me right down if I feel stressed mostly right before bedtime and after dinner. 

I will check out the thread yo are talking about...the info and supprt makkes this long and horrible process easier for me...thans so much..

Andy