tapering off klonopin

[sw...]

How wierd is this i just took my 1/4 of a xanax and as soon as i took it i started sneezing,,,im beginning to think i am allergic to teh benzos,,,oh and what will i do if i am my lips are numb already so its xanax and klonopin i cant stop then what will i do ...how can i stop it if its mental and the dizziness that comes with it....Beeper thank u for you words but this is too wierd.,,,,do u think im allergic to them

I don't think so but you could take an OTC antihistamine and see if it makes you feel better.  But, even if you are allergic to them, the only way to get better is to stop putting them in your body.  BTW, I've been having a terrible time with allergies lately and have no idea what I am allergic to.  Allergies are annoying but not life threatening.

Why wouldn't you be able to stop?  Is someone making you put the pills in your mouth? No, I didn't think so.  You can stop; you need to decide that's what you will do.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [sw...]

• [Be...]

• [tr...]

• [el...]

Top Posters In This Topic

sp, your fear is causing the reaction the drugs when you take them.  Everything you are telling us, especially the numbness, is from anxiety and the anxiety is from the fear.  You have got to calm down and get control of this.  When you are sick from wd and still on the drugs it's called 'tolerance' and it feels like you have allergies to everything. 

I went through this myself after I ct, and I know it's bad, I went through everything in my house trying to figure out what I was allergic to and in the end it was the drugs.  You are really not allergic to them like you would be allergic to peanuts but the 'tolerance'  will make you feel that way.  That's why you have been told time and time again to get off the xanax.  And you've been told how to get off.  You can't take one dose today and increase it tomorrow because you feel worse.  You must follow a schedule and get off. 

You can't analyze every feeling you have and try to figure out where it comes from and why you have it.  They are all coming from the drugs.  You have been checked out by the drs and everything is fine, so you have to know it's the drugs. 

All the dizziness, mental and physical is from you needing to get off the drugs.  We can give you advice but you must make your own decisions.

Another think I think you need to do is decide who you are going to listen to and what advice you are going to follow.  Getting tapering advice from different sources, even though the end results are the same, can be confusing.  People go about it different ways so decide what you want to and stick with it.  Just making a decision will help you get through one more step.

Hi Sweetpea,

you have been on my mind and I hope things are getting better.You are so afraid it makes me sad. You need to let go of that.You will be ok. I got a book from my meditation class for my birthday and it had one on fear. so i'll write it down for you. Hope you don't mind, maybe it will give you something else to think about.

Confronting Fear:

When we persist in thoughts of fear, we create a powerful energy force,we attract the very thing we fear.

In silence ask yourself why am I afraid? be persistant

Ask for a specific reason.

Then ask your fear what do you want from me?

Next, picture youself sitting in a box because the fear is keeping you locked inside.There must be a way out of this box of your own making. Look outside the box and notice how different it is out there. Outside the box is freedom. You reach in your pocket and you find a key. This key will unlock the box.What does this key represent? Is it a change in belief about yourself? If so, what would the new thought or belief be? Does it represent a change in your situation? Do you have to say good-bye to what causes you turmoil? Think long and hard about your answers honestly.

Use your key now, and unlock the box.

Step outside to freedom.

By confronting your fear, you have reclaimed your own power. The situation no longer has a hold on you.

By: James Van Praagh

All I can tell you is you need to get ahold of your emotions, however you can. It may sound silly. New ways of thought don't happen overnite.

But, things like this ( putting all my energy into it)  helped me through the death of my child, the death of my father and all the other dispair I have felt for various reasons. So give it try. When we say something to ourselves long enough and constantly enough it does become our reality. Good Luck Kel

so i am allergic to the pills,TS? How can i continue tapering them if im allergic,im jaing a hard time breathing now.I have to take a klonopin soon,i plan to be off teh xanax next week if i dont die from allergic reaction...please advice me if you think that could happen

Sweetpea,

You need to take some time and really read these posts. You are getting really good advice, but I don't think you're hearing it.

Slow down and try to understand what they are saying to you. It seems that no one thinks are allergic. You seem to upset to hear it. Is there anyone with you that you can share these posts with? Maybe that would help you to feel more calm, having someone close to bounce of this off of.  :)

[18...]

so i am allergic to the pills,TS? How can i continue tapering them if im allergic,im jaing a hard time breathing now.I have to take a klonopin soon,i plan to be off teh xanax next week if i dont die from allergic reaction...please advice me if you think that could happen

Sweetpea, you are NOT allergic to the benzos.  Have your read all the posts in the last page or so?

Everyone has been telling you, even the doctors, that you are not allergic to them. 

YOU ARE NOT ALLERGIC TO BENZOS. I am sorry for the capitals, I am not shouting at you, I just want you to really understand what we are all trying to say......you do not have an allergy to benzos.  I have worked as a practice nurse in ER and serious allergies just never, ever present like you are describing them, EVER.  You have to trust us all here, we have a vast amount of benzo experience collectively on this forum and we have both seen and experienced severe withdrawals like you are experiencing and EVERYONE ALWAYS EVENTUALLY GETS WELL AGAIN.

We know how much you are suffering, we know how desperately frightened and confused you are, please understand you are not the first and you certainly won't be the last to experience this painful torment that you feel.  We really understand and totally empathise with your suffering.

The fear that you feel is driving most of these symptoms and increasing your anxiety and pain tenfold.  You don't need to be so frightened. Others have been exactly where you are right now and have walked through out the otherside healthy and well.  We are not making this up, every word of it is true.

THIS WILL EVENTUALLY GO AWAY.

Please understand this and please let go of this fear that you have and try and calm down, if you can do that, your symptoms will improve markedly.

We all want to help you sweetpea and I hope that I don't come across as being mean to you, we only want to help you understand that this is withdrawal and that you will get through it, you just have to trust this process, horrible and as excruitatingly painful as that is.  :( :'(

Much love and healing to you sweetpea.  :smitten:

Vicky

Vicky,thank you its just after i take the pills i get that feeling  i described amd i feel like i can t breath and it feels likes my throat is closing,i am up early as hubby just left for work,,,,i know its crazy but it hapens as soon as i ake them,could my fear of it be causing me to be allergic to them,Im all dried out in the mouth and throat and im scared now to take the klonopin or xanax and i know i have to because we can tquit cold turkey,im so afraid i have made myself allergic to them,,can that happen/

Vicky,thank you its just after i take the pills i get that feeling  i described amd i feel like i can t breath and it feels likes my throat is closing,i am up early as hubby just left for work,,,,i know its crazy but it hapens as soon as i ake them,could my fear of it be causing me to be allergic to them,Im all dried out in the mouth and throat and im scared now to take the klonopin or xanax and i know i have to because we can tquit cold turkey,im so afraid i have made myself allergic to them,,can that happen/

SP, fear will not cause an allergy. What you are experiencing is classic panic/anxiety. It' either related to your fear of the benzo, triggering panic every time you take a dose, or you may be having a paradox effect to the drug. This is when the benzo actually has the opposite effect on you that it's supposed to have. This is quite common. The solution to either case is to continue your taper. As we are all saying, you WILL get well!  :smitten:   

[18...]

its just after i take the pills i get that feeling  i described and i feel like i can't  breath and it feels likes my throat is closing, it hapens as soon as i take them..

This is panic sweetpea, if it happens as soon as you take the drug then this is further proof that it is not an allergy response. There is no way that the active substance of an oral tablet will find it's way into the bloodstream as soon as you take them.  Panic however, can and does happen within a nano second of doing anything that provokes fear.  Even if you tell yourself that you don't need to be frightened of it the second before you take it, the fear and panic response to your deep belief of alllergy will overide it and cause exactly the symptoms you are describing. This is why we are telling you over and over that your belief is wrong,

could my fear of it be causing me to be allergic to them....Im all dried out in the mouth and throat ....

No your fear cannot cause an allergy, but your fear and belief of allergy can sure cause the symptoms you describe.

i have made myself allergic to them,,can that happen/
No it cannot, the power of the mind is powerful but there is no way it can make you suddenly allergic to something that you have been taking for years and years, but it can make you frightened, again, this is why we are telling you that your belief of an allergy is WRONG.

Xanax and Klonopin are different benzos, but they are both benzos, and ALL benzos break down in the blood to the same chemical substance.

If you were allergic to klonopin you would have already been allergic to the xanax you have been taking before.

:)

i pray what u all say is true im so scared i took my klonopin and my lips are numb all teht hings i told u it seems to be making me have a hard time breathing and i think it happens now with the xanx yesterday when i took my xanax i started sneezing,,,i was reading eljays post and i believe thats what has happened why it would i dont know.i dont know how i will make it i have to get off the xanxa and tehn tapeero ff the klonopin and i feel so bad i realize im not the only one...its in my neck sores in my mouth blurry vision heartrate  dr wont call me the fear is going to get the best of me i cant sleep,,,i drink so much water cause my mouth is dry..this mornign it was about an hout after taking the klonopin that it happened,,,im so sorry to be this way

No, you are not allergic to the drugs.  I did not say that.

sweetpea, are you reading, I mean really reading what is being posted to you??  Many of us have told you several times that you are not allergic, it's the fear and anxiety causing your symptoms.

If you were truly allergic you would have been in the ER a long time ago.  We have tried to say this as many ways as possible, and explain why you are having the symptoms you are having.  Once you calm down about taking the pills you will not have all these symptoms when you take them. 

Goggle the effects of anxiety, stress, and fear.  It will explain it all to you and what it can do to you.  Fear can only get the best of you if you let it.  No one can control this but you, no one. 

We are all sorry you feel so bad but you don't need to apologize for it.  It isn't your fault and you don't deserve it.

Maybe it will help you accept that anxiety is causing most of your symptoms to see this list (I think you have reported at least half of them):

Common symptoms of anxiety and panic attacks

Rapid heart beat, pounding heart or palpitations

Sweating

Shaking visibly or inside

Choking sensations or lump in throat

Smothering or shortness of breath sensations

Chest pain or discomfort

Nausea, bloating, indigestion or abdominal discomfort

Dizziness or unsteadiness

Feeling light-headed

Derealisation (feeling unreal or dreamy)

Depersonalisation (feeling outside yourself or like you don't exist)

Fear of losing control or going crazy

Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations) in face, extremities or body

Chills or hot flushes

Skin losing colour

Blushing or skin blotches

(This is from the website at panic-anxiety.com/panic/attacks/symptoms/. I am not promoting their program, just using their list of symptoms.)

I only had a few of these and was lucky that way.  It's amazing how many ways our anxiety can make us feel bad.  But you don't have to stay that way.  There are books and websites and support boards on the subject of panic and anxiety because so many people suffer from it.

We can't do much more than point you in the right direction and let you know you are not alone and we will keep doing that as long as you need it.  :)

[18...]
im so sorry to be this way

((((sweetpea))))) Please dont be sorry, we understand how horrible this is.  I wish I could come and give you a big hug and reassure you in person. I also drank huge amounts of water.  I lost 27 kgs in weight because my mouth was so dry that everything I put in my mouth tasted and felt like cottonwool and I couldnt swallow anything.

We totally understand this fear you are experiencing, but all we can do is just keep reassuring you that it will pass.

I am so sorry you are hurting.  :(

I so feel like i am losing my mind im having hard time breathing cant concentrate nausted of course the alerrgic feeling and its time for my xanax,my blood pressure is up,there is no help here in my town as i said the dr barely looked down my throat and said i was not allergic,Why would i all off a sudden become afraid of my benzos i have taken them so long and  it never bothereed me till about the 1st part of july whn i was put on that prednisone and antibotic....im going to try to go to a beauty app, at 10 but im so sick and scared.....teh roof of my mouth is raw and i have that feeling im here but im not here does that make since...i feel like going back to teh drs and tell then again how i get after taking my meds but what good would that do,,,,,,,,,i dont understand how i could have withdrawal so bad(im sure u that have understand me)my body parts even feel wierd,but there is NOTHING i can do..im guess im scared itsa  mild allergic reaction and its getting worse as now im having the trouble breathing and u guys i am listining to you its just im here all alone  and scared..thanks

sp, here's a relaxation video.  Listen to it and see how you feel afterwards, sometimes I have to listen twice before I feel the effects.

Sweetpea, Caral here, I have had all the same symptoms you are experiencing for many yrs and the breathless feeling, I too thought I was choking and having a heart attack and hands around my throat. It isnt the meds, it is fear of fear and you are afraid of coming off the meds. You are panicking I promise you, you are not having a stroke, deep down you are afraid of what you are trying to achieve and of letting go of the meds. I am myself a little scared after 40 yrs, but its the only way to get better and you will. My doc too is no help, says I cant do it. Take no notice of them if you think they are laughing at you, they are only thoughts. It is only your health that matters, please listen to what people are saying to you and try to calm down or you will make yourself ill. I have been there and made myself so ill long ago and put my self in a mental hospital and had e.c.t. Dozens of pills and two tiny kids to worry about, so please try and take it in and get off your meds best you can. You will feel better, as will we all, when it is done x Bless you.Caral x

Sweetpea you MUST try to calm yourself. You are not allergic to benzo's. Your working yourself up about it because you have a fear that you are and that's what's causing these symtoms. These are common symptoms of anxiety.

Ok one day I went to the gym. Pushed myself just a little too much, I hadnt worked out in months and I went a little overboard. My symptoms revved up so much I thought about going to a psych ward. Now mind you exercise is GREAT but over doing it, atleast for me, makes me feel bad. Anyway the next day I decide to go back to the gym and do a little work out. I freaked myself out so bad walking into the gym I had a panic attack. It's because I was scared it would happen again.

The way we think is a huge part of anxiety. WE CAUSE alot of these symptoms because we have such negative thoughts and fear so much.

But I promise you this WILL get better. You just need to calm down a touch and know that you are ok, your not allergic, not having a stroke, this IS normal. You WILL get through this intact either way but if you calm down a little it will be a much easier ride. Believe me I know how hard it is, but as soon as I accepted it was MY fault for thinking the way I did and it was causing my anxiety to be worse, I started feeling better. It's a hard habit to break  but I knew I was driving myself insane. And now for the most part I'm doing ok.

I still have my days of negative thinking, still panic myself but it's much less now.

I really hope you feel better soon. We are always here for you and you are NOT being a pain  ;)

Amanda  :smitten:

Thats where i feel im headed is back to a mental hospital.im trying to be calm but i feel even worse today bad hedache,blurry eyes,will be time for my 2nd klonopin soon and i dread that,they are sure seeming to also be making me more confused its like im here but im not,,,,,i feel very week for some reason..tried to help my son and wasnt much help,,,have to met hubby at 5 so im hoping i can get it together..Anyone why would it just start now getting so bad for me?

Thats where i feel im headed is back to a mental hospital.im trying to be calm but i feel even worse today bad hedache,blurry eyes,will be time for my 2nd klonopin soon and i dread that,they are sure seeming to also be making me more confused its like im here but im not,,,,,i feel very week for some reason..tried to help my son and wasnt much help,,,have to met hubby at 5 so im hoping i can get it together..Anyone why would it just start now getting so bad for me?

It could have been from the antibiotic or the prednisone. As we said, both of these medications are known to be problematic during a benzo taper. But SP, now that you are done with them, you will be ok. It may  still be a while yet before you start feeling somewhat better, but it will come. I know this is so awful. But please believe us when we tell you that you will get well. Time and tapering will heal you. 

Its almost time for me to take my klonopin and im scared,i have been so out of it all day cant think feel week i wondeer couold i take only half of it im so afraid im losing it today

Sweetpea -

I really believe you will ultimately feel worse if you make such a large reduction in you klonopin.  If you are still taking 3/4 xanax, I believe it is time to go down to 1/2 xanax.  That way you will still be reducing the amount of benzo in your system and be closer to being able to taper off klonopin.

Sp those are the side effects that I have with each of my cuts, headache, blurred vision and lights and sound bother me, pressure in my head and extreme weakness.  I experience those feelings off and on for 3 good days during each cut.  I have found that if I compare it to when I have had flu's or head colds then maybe it is not so bad.  Again just sensations.  I rest and relax when I need to and then it seems I am able to function on.  This cut too I have had some tingling on my lips I believe they are just my nerves working again.  Remember we have been sedated and they have not worked properly so when you taper they are being activated and that is why we feel all the sensations.  You need to be mentally stronger than the pills don't let the pills control you!!  Stay calm and trust and listen to the moderators.  They are here to help you not hurt you.

mal

I took the full klonopin and im sitting here with numb lps cheeks feel swollen adn my wyes feel like they are swellen and all blurry and i really havent made much of a cut from 1 mg of xanax to 3/4 here lately today im going to try to do just a 1/2 xanax...i swear if im allergic to these meds or if they are making me ill and my stupid med drs here jsut brushed me offf im going to sue them,,and my pshy will noy return my call..i have to amke it thru this,,,,how long should i stay on the xanx and so i can start tapering the klonpin

i have to amke it thru this,,,,how long should i stay on the xanx and so i can start tapering the klonpin

I was so happy when I read this, sweetpea.  :yippee:  You will make it through this. In fact I predict some day you will be encouraging other people who are feeling bad because you know what it's like.

I believe eljay recommended you holding the xanax at 1/2mg 4-5 days and then reducing another 1/4 for 4-5 days and then stopping the xanax all together. I'm sure she will correct me if I'm wrong. Then you will start asking how much to taper the klonopin and we will be right there to help you through that as well.

[dc...]