tapering off klonopin

[sw...]

what is tolereance withdrawal...my pshy dr told me i should have never took the prednisone,,,,thats its proberly causing my worst anxiety and i could in an emergency take more xanax,,,,,,,,,,,what if the predsione really messsed me up for life......dr. said its a no good drug,,,,,,,,,,,im scared

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [sw...]

• [Be...]

• [tr...]

• [el...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Tolerance happens when you have taken a benzo so long that it no longer works for you.  Tolerance withdrawal is just the uncomfortable symptoms that we get when we become tolerant.  So, if you keep taking the same amount you still feel bad.  If you increase your dose, you might feel better for a little while but you will eventually become tolerant of that dose, too; it's a vicious cycle.

You weren't on the prednisone long enough to do any permanent damage.  I have often had to take prednisone because of asthma flare ups, usually 5 -20 mg. for 7-14 days, with no problem.  One time I was on a high dose  (60mg) for 9 months and it did mess me up badly but I recovered from that as well. 

Are you sure it was your psych doc that told you to take more xanax in an emergency?  I thought it was your other doc who suggested xanax.  I'd be more scared of staying on xanax than taking prednisone for a week or so, but if you really don't want to stop, that's up to you.  Doesn't sound like it's doing you any good, though, and could be making you feel worse than you would without it.

So what do you want to do now?

Yes it was mu pshy said to take extra xanax if needed.Now my blood pressure is going down and my heart rate is going up last check was 113 what would cause this and im dizzy and have a pain behind my left breast which i have had before maybe heartburn hope its not a heartattack,do u know why my blood pressure would go down lower and my heart rate go up and i have a headache....i amin a bad way and must pretend to be ok in ront of husband i dont know what to do.

I'm not a nurse or doctor so I really don't know what could be causing your heart to race so.  Usually the blood pressure will come down when the heart rate goes up and vice versa.  Have you drunk any caffeinated beverages?  I imagine it could be anxiety.  I guess you have a bp monitor so if I were you, I'd write down the bp and heart rate, the time and anything that had been happening (eating, exercising, etc) to take your next doctor visit. 

wont be hymitized till aug 7 dont knoe if i can hang in there till then i feel so awful still having the thing in my throat that feels like a blister and still thinking im allergic to my xanax and klonopin..can hardly think and i feel so tired but cant sleep or relax

Sweetpea!

I reacted the same way to the drugs.  My blood pressure was 73/54 when I admitted myself into the psych hospital and my heart rate was off the charts.  It was pure withdrawal and just the way my body reacted to it.  Also, the numb lips etc., could very well be you hyperventilating yourself.  I used to do it too when I had to take the drug.  I was so terrified of how I was going to feel...I would start breathing really fast and shallow.  Try doing the deep breathing and deliberately slowing eveything down and see if that helps at all.  The good news is...I am totally back to normal now...and you will be too!!

Love,

Jen

still having the thing in my throat that feels like a blister and still thinking im allergic to my xanax and klonopin..can hardly think and i feel so tired but cant sleep or relax

I felt that I was allergic to every drug I took, every food I ate, everything I came in contact with, I nearly cleared my house out, our dogs were only allowed in 2 rooms, I made major changes in our lives trying to figure out what was wrong with me and it all comes down to wd.  Tolerance can make you feel like you are allergic to the drugs, but allergies respond to benadryl or a trip to the ER and wd symptoms will not.  

Wd made my blood pressure read high and the dr. wanted to put me on a prescription med but it went down as I got better.  And it all depends on the drs. The one I have now wouldn't recommend a drug but would wait and see over a period of time what happens.  

What does your dr. want to try hypnosis?  

Everything you've mentioned in your last few post are all wd related.  Everyone of them.  Did yo have any health problems before?

Hi Swwetpea.

You sound like you are having such a hard time. I'm so sorry for you.I hope you have people at home that are there for you. You know hypnosis is a good thing, but you do have to be somewhat in a calm state for it to work. Accupuncture also helps. I really hope you have people with you. You're not alone are you? I'll think of you and send you positive enegry. Good Luck.

so u guys dont think im allergic alll of a sudden to my xanax and klonopin,my tapering has kinda been halted so i dont know why im feeling so bad but i swear as soon as i take one of my pills my lips feel numb and my throat amy something going on in my neck,,,in facts i have only droped 1 klonopin 4 to 4 ans my xanax down from 3 1 mg back in april 23 to still 1 now so i dont get it,,and im so scared my hands even feel funny wondring if it was that predisone...advice

my throat and tounge feels like it has blisters on it i know i bite my tounge at night and my eyes are itchy and my skin feels like its burning underneath it and my husband says there is nothing wrong with me so i cant go to dr,to have it checked i dont see how after all these years i could be allergic ro xanax and klonopin..i dont know whats causing it,Im so tired feel like doing nothing,,,,cant see my dr till aug 7 have no rash anywhere on my body but im do have seasonal allergies....but im afraid im gonna lose it....sweetpea1960

[f9...]

I don't think you can just suddenly develop an allergy to something. Either you're allergic or you aren't (I think). I'd say it's probably due to the meds, but not an allergy. :(

-Pete

in facts i have only droped 1 klonopin 4 to 4 ans my xanax down from 3 1 mg back in april 23 to still 1 now

I'm sorry, sweetpea, I can't understand what you've written. 

If you are wondering how you can feel so bad when you haven't cut much of your benzos, it could be because you have reached tolerance.  You already said you feel bad when you take them, so they definitely aren't helping you.  If I were you, I would continue to taper about 10% every 7-14 days.  I don't see how you are going to feel better doing the same thing over and over.

p.s. Pete:  You can suddenly become allergic to something that you weren't allergic to before.  However, allergies respond to antihistamines and prednisone, so sweetpea's symptoms do not suggest she has an allergy to her benzos.

Sweetpea -

What do you take for the seasonal allergies?  I take benadryl but it makes me sleepy.  Does knock out the itchy, watery eyes, though.  If you think you have an allergy and can't go to a doctor to have it confirmed and treated, you'll have to try to fix it yourself. Even if you were allergic to xanax or klonopin, you couldn't just stop them cold turkey.  Since you have seasonal allergies, you may have become allergic to something else in your environment.  I've never heard of anyone becoming allergic to benzos.

I really starting feeling the lip thing when i started the predisone..i have been off it know since Monday,I cant go to er cant afford it,and my eyes dont look red just dry and itchy,,,,,im going to taper off my meds it was just on hold for the surgery which they cancelled......i think the predisone has done something to me.....im so scared..adn the drs in my town are idiots and dont like to see me come in,,so i have to keep taking my xanax and klonopin as im tapering off and if im allergic to them i dont know what to do...as  cant just quit them all this is driving me nuts

Cant go to the Dr. Do you think the predisone or the antibotic avelox i was on caused this its like the tip of my tounge burns im so tired,i dont take anything for allergies as my pill phobia,,,and my hubby is home so i cant even go to dr to see and these drs here in my town wouldnt do anything so i will live till i crash i guess,,its like i burnt my toung and throat but i havent....well i did like on july 3 but that should be healed by now dont you think

[f9...]

p.s. Pete:  You can suddenly become allergic to something that you weren't allergic to before.  However, allergies respond to antihistamines and prednisone, so sweetpea's symptoms do not suggest she has an allergy to her benzos.

That's really weird! I never knew that you could become allergic like that!

As an example, Pete, I had cats for years and suddenly became allergic and had to give them away.  My doc said allergies were like water dripping into a glass: if you are continually exposed, eventually your glass will overflow and you will be allergic from then on. 

My guess is it's the antibiotic you were taking. Have you finished taking it? What I'd do is take benadryl for the next several days and see if that helps with the outbreak. You can get liquid Benadryl at the pharmacy since you don't like pills.

Allergies to antibiotics are really common. I'm allergic to a ton of them. For years the only antibiotic I could take was Keflex and its derivatives.

Also, to keep minor sinus infections away I eat a lot of raw garlic. Since I have "diseased sinuses" (according to my ENT) I figure anything that can help and isn't a prescription would be good to add to my diet. Alas, nothing works for a collapsed septum but surgery... Oh and I stay away from dairy, esp. milk, as much as possible. Not only does it add to the mucus load but I'm allergic to that as well.

rufus

I've never heard of a burning feeling in your throat and tip of your tongue indicating an allergy but I guess anything is possible.  Has it been feeling like that since you "burned" them on July 3 or is this more recent?  If you don't want to take any pills, the only other thing I can think of is treating the symptoms.  Popsicles or even just ice chips might be soothing.  I'm not really sure.  BTW, feeling tired all the time is  a symptom of depression.  I have been tired for nearly 2 weeks and my depression flared up so I'm pretty sure that's what causing my tiredness.

Hope you feel better soon.  :)

[13...]

Cant go to the Dr. Do you think the predisone or the antibotic avelox i was on caused this its like the tip of my tounge burns im so tired,i dont take anything for allergies as my pill phobia,,,and my hubby is home so i cant even go to dr to see and these drs here in my town wouldnt do anything so i will live till i crash i guess,,its like i burnt my toung and throat but i havent....well i did like on july 3 but that should be healed by now dont you think

Hi sweetpea,

Avelox is a fluroquinolone.  There have been many reports of very unpleasant side effects from taking these types of antibiotics with benzos. I personally know of several cases where tapers and withdrawals have been painfully affected by these class of drugs.  Not meaning to scare you but this could be one of the reasons you are finding it so difficult since you have been taking this drug.

There are many websites and benzo web pages explaining the problems this drug can cause.  If you would like to research it for yourself I can post the links for you, just let me know.

I am sure that these effects will wear off, but they can occasionally take some time.

Hope things improve for you real soon.

Vicky

Could anyone please post maybe not just to me but the things your body and mind goes thru after being on benzos for 18 years,as u know im tapering off xanax and klonopin and my hubby is ready to divorce me,He thinks im faking how bad i feel and says i should be off then in 2 weeks,,i dont want him to know i ask for advice so if some one could just write on here how hard it is to come off these drugs,im sure several people have expericened how i feel and if he could maybe read how awful these drugs are he might understand  Thanks

yes please send teh links ....im no longer on the antibotic but it made my anxiety so bad while i was on it and im feeling so sicka nd worse depressed

[d0...]