Can marijuana help through benzo withdrawal?

[Iw...]

Personally medical marijuana has been helpful to me in my journey of Benzo withdrawal, but I have not smoked any! We've made alcohol based tinctures that I've used and from my research I think it will of course depend on the cbd, cbn & thc percentages in the weed you smoke as to how it will effect you!  When you put fire to weed it's immediately decarboxylating it and it's stronger than in a tincture or edible.....whole different ballgame of sorts!

And especially as we get into the jumping off point and later,  our bodies seem to be in a heightened state of sensitivity to many things (more like everything, lol!).....even foods, vitamins, supplements, herbs etc!

I all of a sudden am super sensitive to green tea and I've drunk it throughout my whole taper and detox with no problems till now?!? I even got set off by an herbal tea blend with ginger and licorice last night I thought I was literally in hell!!!! Now I'm two months off Xanax, 1 1/2 months off MsContin and tapering now off last med, Norco! I feel worse now than before and so started researching why!

It's not just a black and white situation we find ourselves in and of course just as every substance effects different people differently so too goes our withdrawal symptoms!

One thing I can corroborate with older posters here on this thread if I don't eat well ( which we all know gets hard at times) I feel 50% worse many times!! Low blood sugar is a big offender for me as far as heightening bad symptoms!! It's just a damn hard road to travel thank goodness and the powers that be we have BenzoBuddies and friends here to encourage and support us!! :smitten:

I'm no expert by any means with this but can only share my experience in hopes it may help someone else! Thank you all for being here...Peace and Blessings!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Iw...]

• [Ge...]

• [Ja...]

• [Cr...]

Almost 7 months in I am trying to quit weed again. The first time I felt really miserable and started smoking again after 5 days, but now I am at day 2 and it's going ok. My lungs need some rest and I hope to heal faster from the benzo's without weed.

Here's an update...

I ended up smoking some decently strong indica tonight. Packed a nice little bowl in my pipe, and took a few big hits.

I felt really calm, relaxed, euphoric, had a great time listening to some music and watching shows. The high was kind of intense at first, because I have no tolerance anymore, but no real anxiety. After it wore off, no side effects to speak of. I'll see how I feel tomorrow. I probably won't smoke regularly again, but good to know I can tolerate it.

Be careful if you do attempt this yourself, weed is wildly unpredictable in how it affects people.

Day 7 without marijuana, this time I didn't experience a lot of withdrawal symptoms, waking up sometimes at night and some sweating and fluctuating emotions the first couple days.

Which is crazy, because I felt really, really bad when quitting the last time. I had dozens of theories, like a stomach bug or even weed laced with heroin, but perhaps the benzo withdrawal is just less now.

Anyway I will stay away from marijuana for some time now, to see how my lungs recover and if the benzo recovery speeds up, as my memory, concentration and mental capacityis still bad.

• 2 months later...

I know this is a bump of an old thread, but I want to add an additional data point of my experience.

I've been smoking marijuana (mainly indicas, purple kush lately, to be specific) a few times a week (lately about 4-5 evenings a week, never during the day) for nearly 3 months now. Still no negative side effects to report.

I feel more relaxed the day after I smoked the previous evening, it helps me get to sleep on difficult nights, and definitely helps me feel like the pre-benzo me. I've stopped for nearly a week recently just to see if I'd get some kind of rebound or withdrawal symptoms, but nope, just went on as usual, no difficulty getting to sleep or anything.

It has definitely helped improve my quality of life, and I feel it will continue to do so unless I overindulge (which I am careful about, benzos taught me a good lesson). I plan on taking occasional breaks just to keep myself in check, and never smoking up during days.

I still suggest caution to anyone who wants to attempt this, but in my case, weed has been a great help for the last "part" of my benzo recovery.

[16...]
I smoke it nightly before going to sleep, not to get high, but as a sleep aid.  It works beautifully.  I have to be really careful not to smoke too much because it gives me a racing heart and paranoia but once that passes I feel wonderfully relaxed.