Can marijuana help through benzo withdrawal?

[Iw...]

Which is bullshit, it's basically whole plant hemp oil, it's like O,Douls being illegal. If there's not enough thc for it to be psychoactive, the general public ought to be able to buy it. Or even if there is.  ;)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Iw...]

• [Ge...]

• [Ja...]

• [Cr...]

100% agree....Benzos are legal....CBD oil isn't....go figure.....Shit, you can't even grow hemp....you can buy it....but not grow it....dafuq?

All I know is I smoked pot every day throughout college. The day I graduated I gave my bag to pot head friend of mine, and said, "It is time for me to join the real world." I did not have withdrawal from it nor did a crave it. I just stopped it and that was that. It mellowed me out.

Now, I recently got a medical marijuana license from my state. I have yet to use and don't plan to. I called all 6 dispensaries and they said that cannabis comes in 387 strains. There are two different types of marijuana. One is called Indica, which mellows a person out and helps them sleep/anxiety. The other is called Stativa and is generally known to cause anxiety. There are varies levels on how they work. If it has a high THC count, the more buzz you will get and it is the mostly likely the type that will be help your anxiety and help to sleep. Conversely, the low THC count doesn't give you much of a buzz but really doesn't help with sleep/anxiety issues. My pdoc said they are pharmaceutical grades and much stronger than what you can buy form the streets. I choose to take none of it as I know from my experience from college days that it makes me feel cognitively impaired and rather stupid and silly. Plus I have to lose some weight due to benzo belly, so this is the last drug I need to take. I already have one addictive drug in my body. Why should I have two? Bets

Conversely, the low THC count doesn't give you much of a buzz but really doesn't help with sleep/anxiety issuesq

disagree.  The high cbd stuff really works, without the psychotropic effects. Great for pain, anxiety. Amazing stuff. Acdc, charlottes web, harlequin, cannatonic. Huge potential for bz withdrawal, particularly the first two,  they have almost no thc, basically hemp.

I just posted a review of the film "The Culture High" (in this section) which goes into how CBDs can help heal many different illnesses and problems in the body. 

Basically, CBDs are actually naturally occurring in our brains and bodies.  "Initially identified by Professor Allyn Howlett and her graduate student William Devane, cannabinoid receptors turned out to be far more abundant in the brain than any other G-protein-coupled receptors.[1] Tagged radioactively, a potent THC analog synthesized by Pfizer (“CP55,940”) enabled researchers to begin mapping the locations of cannabinoid receptors in the brain. These receptors were found to be concentrated in regions responsible for mental and physiological processes that are affected by marijuana—the hippocampus (memory), cerebral cortex (higher cognition), cerebellum (motor coordination), basal ganglia (movement), hypothalamus (appetite), the amygdala (emotions), and elsewhere. There are few cannabinoid receptors in the brain stem, the region that controls breathing and heartbeat—which is why no one has ever suffered a fatal overdose of marijuana....  ...Researchers soon identified a second type of cannabinoid receptor, dubbed “CB-2,” which is prevalent throughout the peripheral nervous system and the immune system. CB-2 receptors are also present in the gut, spleen, liver, heart, kidneys, bones, blood vessels, lymph cells, endocrine glands, and reproductive organs. THC stimulates the CB-2 receptor, but this does not result in the psychoactive high that pot is famous for (because CB-2 receptors are not concentrated in the brain); THC binding to CB-1, the central nervous system receptor, causes the high. The CB-1 receptor mediates psychoactivity. CB-2 regulates immune response. Marijuana is such a versatile substance because it acts everywhere, not just in the brain." (http://www.projectcbd.org/smoke-signals/the-brain-and-marijuana-smoke-signals-excerpt/

YES, you read that right, there are CANNABINOID RECEPTORS in the brain, and in the CNS and immune systems, and various other places throughout the body, which is why CBDs work so very effectively against so many diseases!

If you live in a MJ-legal state/country you can get cannabis tinctures, oils, plant strains that are high in CBDs and low in THC, so they won't affect your brain function, but they will help heal many different illnesses. I hope this helps clarify things a bit.

Namaste.

~K    :smitten:

So, does anyone really know if MJ hinders the healing from the benzos, or not?      No one really seems to know the answer to this.      Has anyone used MJ during and after their tapers or CT's and still healed?????

Many different therapists have said to me  that using MJ will hinder healing as your body can not develop healing on its own if you are going to continually supply your nervous system with a different artificially sedating chemical.

I know that for me, using heavy indicas, mostly in the evening helps consistently with the anxiety and pain, and GI stomach issues.    I have a lot of trouble making it consistently work for sleep however.  Still wake up in the middle of the night with adrenalin rushes, anxiety, palpitations, etc. Can't fall asleep without some aid.    Sometimes, nothing is going to  help with sleep if my benzo brain is too agitated.  There are times when I've used a usual amount of MJ which had worked fine the night before, and it just doesn't do anything.  Has anyone else experienced this as well???

Lately I've been getting deep, deep dizziness in the mornings and it last most of the day.  I've had dizziness throughout this whole journey, but this is much worse.  I cant decide if its from the withdrawal or has something to do with the MJ.  In the past, however, I never had this sort of a deep dizziness after using the pot.  Anyone have any thoughts about that as well?

For me, the pot has provided relief when things got just too awful.  I can get sleep from it, but not the greatest or longest, but it does help. I just don't want to do anything that will hurt the healing of my nervous system. 

Also can your sleep return naturally, as it seems to for all of us,  when we are using MJ?    Sleep has become a major issue for me, so I am concerned that using pot will permanently mess up my ability to eventually sleep naturally. 

Also get difficulty getting to the bottom of my breaths.  Anyone else have this???

I always wonder if its the MJ or the withdrawal, but who knows.  Whenever I use the pot for the anxiety or difficulty breathing, the symptoms improve, so that sort of says that the pot helps things.  But as far as building another dependency or if it hinders benzo healing, I don't know.  Anyone else out there have any thoughts?   

Thanks for any input. 

• 3 months later...

The Medipen has just been released in the UK https://medipen.co

I really want to give it a go but at eight months out I'm terrified of it messing with my benzo recovery.

I just can't find any conclusive evidence on the web whether or not CBD in this form (no THC) would antagonise GABA receptors in the same way alcohol can.

Medipen's FAQ is helpful but doesn't actually answer the question: https://medipen.co/experts

Anyone?!!  ???

• 2 months later...

cannabinoid receptors work mainly in sleep so using Pot as a sleep aid make the most sense ( in states where it's legal which is growing at 7% a year so in 30 years it will be legal in 80% of the west I have heard it said) 

Pot prohibition  1943 to 2008  R.I.P.

I can vouch for it helping with GI issues (nausea) throughout W/D.  That is, indica varieties of high CBD and relatively low THC. Some calming, sedating effects as well, which is of course helpful during W/D. I also wonder if there's any negative effects on the W/D process; can't say for certain from my own experience so far.

The Medipen has just been released in the UK https://medipen.co

I really want to give it a go but at eight months out I'm terrified of it messing with my benzo recovery.

I just can't find any conclusive evidence on the web whether or not CBD in this form (no THC) would antagonise GABA receptors in the same way alcohol can.

Medipen's FAQ is helpful but doesn't actually answer the question: https://medipen.co/experts

Anyone?!!  ???

No, cbd won't affect benzo receptors. From personal experience. It doesn't even bind to the cb1 receptors. It did help me with anxiety when withdrawing, I could not handle thc until around a year off. But be aware, cbd is not a sleep promoter for most. It tends to be calming but wakeful.

Medicating with weed is tricky shit, IMO. I've been legal for three months and I'm just now figuring out what works for me. I've gone through probably 20-30 strains trying to figure out what works for chronic bone and nerve pain, no discs in my lumbar, fused from c3-t1, funky auto immune disorder that causes a lot of nerve pain and fatigue, traumatic compound leg injury with multiple surgeries. And minor lingering benzo brain.  :P

I stick with indicas and hybrids. Sativas make me twitchy and a little paranoid, so I avoid them. High cbd is great for pain but keeps me up at night. So I vaporize an indica dominant hybrid during the day, and to sleep I hit the thc hard at night with a pure indica, or close to pure. Vaporizing is like a bandaid, to really get long lasting relief at night I made cannabis butter with a gluten free mix. 100 milligram cookie and I can sleep.

When done right, cannabis works as well as oxycodone without the baggage. But it takes a lot of trial and error, and you can't necessarily rely on your friendly bud tender, I get wrong info all the time. But lots of useful stuff too. Bottom line is you have to try different things.

I do know that I wasn't ready for thc until I'd been off benzos for a year. Ymmv on that. I don't believe trying will result in a big setback. It didn't for me. I'd just notice that I'd get too anxious so I stopped. Went away. 

I think if you're here then you are concerned about something: Probably benzos and their effect on you. You can't be fine and dandy or you wouldn't be here. This fact may bite you with weed. It may complicate things, and for me I need to be comfortable to handle each cut. Christ, it takes weeks or months to feel like I can do that. I've been tapering for 10 months.

i love weed and am not totally abstinent. But I gotta have my eyes open.

Hi:

This is an interesting discussion here. I'll just tell you my personal experience. I was a total pot head, both in HS and college, and it made me feel silly, great and hungry as heck. I smoked it about twice a day. I decided to quit on graduation day because I felt it was time to join the real world. I had no w/d, no cravings, no anything. I just went on with my life w/o it and never gave it a 2nd thought. Then about 10 years later somebody brought some over and I smoke a bit of it and I got severe anxiety and bad heart palps. I'm sure it was not the Invica strain. I haven't smoke it since even though I obtained a MM card, which I never filled. I threw it out. To me it was $250 well spent.

But anybody who says it does not affect your brain must not feel the same as I did. I was in a literal haze and could not learn anything when I went to class. I'm sure my grades would have been better w/o it.  I already have an addictive drug in my body; I do not want another one. I hold no judgement if it works for other people. Just personally, I think it is like playing with fire. I'd rather have insomnia rather than smoke it again. And I'm sure if I were to smoke it again, I would eventually gain 100 lbs.

Bets

cannabinoid receptors work mainly in sleep so using Pot as a sleep aid make the most sense ( in states where it's legal which is growing at 7% a year so in 30 years it will be legal in 80% of the west I have heard it said) 

Pot prohibition  1943 to 2008  R.I.P.  8) 8) 8);D

I was smoking it every day and in an amount to where I was getting baked and it was hell stopping. Withdrawals were terrible for 2 weeks.  I now smoke every once in a while as kind of a stop.  I also noticed that if I can control it, and just take a hit or two, I get the benefits of pain relief and withdrawal from the benzos.  I really don't think it takes that much.  I wish I could get my hands on some cbd oil to try.

But yeah, for the times when my mind is just racing out of control and nothing else will help it, a few hits of the herb helps me a lot.  I've had a couple times where it made things worse, but 9/10 times it has helped.  It's just absolutely not beneficial to do every day.

• 5 months later...

I wouldn't try experimenting with MJ until you've reached a kind of stability or plateau in withdrawal.

At best, in some people MJ may only exist as a simple distraction or way of coping through intense waves.  On the other hand, it could be a lifesaver for others...

Aside from the many ways and routes of using MJ, hemp, and its derivatives, I've heard some very promising anecdotal reports of people consuming dishes like 'MJ coleslaw,' while getting all of the healing properties and none of the psychoactive ones.

I'm afraid - that in many cases - MJ use could be just another "robbing Peter to pay Paul" way of problem solving.  Again, though, it all depends on the person and how they respond.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't try experimenting with MJ until you've reached a kind of stability or plateau in withdrawal.

At best, in some people MJ may only exist as a simple distraction or way of coping through intense waves.  On the other hand, it could be a lifesaver for others...

Aside from the many ways and routes of using MJ, hemp, and its derivatives, I've heard some very promising anecdotal reports of people consuming dishes like 'MJ coleslaw,' while getting all of the healing properties and none of the psychoactive ones.

I'm afraid - that in many cases - MJ use could be just another "robbing Peter to pay Paul" way of problem solving.  Again, though, it all depends on the person and how they respond.

Long time pot smoker when suddenly one day (after succumbing to major depression, anxiety), I couldn't even take a baby puff of any strain without having a panic attack. Seven months later I realize it's the intense anxiety inside but it came from nowhere. It made my arm numb for a few days leading up to then BAM, panic attacks.

I was also an everday pot smoker. It's been a month and a half since a c/t'd from a three month benzo binge and i'm nervous to start back up. I am going to wait until the three month mark to try it again.

I was also an everday pot smoker. It's been a month and a half since a c/t'd from a three month benzo binge and i'm nervous to start back up. I am going to wait until the three month mark to try it again.

Holy cow, how have you been since the c/t?

Not too bad, the first two weeks were awful. I was taking a relatively low dose (.5mg klonopin) occasionally throughout the week. I have never had any anxiety issues, as I was taking it recreationally. Didn't realize the dangers of the withdrawal until I stopped, obviously. I had all the usual withdrawal symptoms, not to the extreme, but didn't experience a panic attack until I smoked about a week after I c/t'd.

Since then, I've been on here looking for some information regarding the w/d. I've been smoking for about 3-4 years prior without any problems until I stopped taking the benzo. Other than some intrusive thoughts, anxiety, and occasional feelings of panic, I've been fine. My personality is back, and i've been working out regularly/stretching. Due to some muscle problems in my ribs (called costochondritis) I haven't been lifting weights. I also think that has been causing some of my anxiety issues. Appetite is even better than when I was smoking but I still would like to go back to it eventually, as I am not a big drinker.

I think because I was only taking klonopin short-term, I am recovering fairly quickly.

Not too bad, the first two weeks were awful. I was taking a relatively low dose (.5mg klonopin) occasionally throughout the week. I have never had any anxiety issues, as I was taking it recreationally. Didn't realize the dangers of the withdrawal until I stopped, obviously. I had all the usual withdrawal symptoms, not to the extreme, but didn't experience a panic attack until I smoked about a week after I c/t'd.

Since then, I've been on here looking for some information regarding the w/d. I've been smoking for about 3-4 years prior without any problems until I stopped taking the benzo. Other than some intrusive thoughts, anxiety, and occasional feelings of panic, I've been fine. My personality is back, and i've been working out regularly/stretching. Due to some muscle problems in my ribs (called costochondritis) I haven't been lifting weights. I also think that has been causing some of my anxiety issues. Appetite is even better than when I was smoking but I still would like to go back to it eventually, as I am not a big drinker.

I think because I was only taking klonopin short-term, I am recovering fairly quickly.

I was on less than you for a shorter period of time and I'm really suffering. Everyone is different. I already had major depression, anxiety, and insomnia. It's magnified these issues plus I'm getting all the muscle pains. It's brutal. I'm still trying to stabilize. Godspeed to you!

I never was a smoker but my insomnia was off the charts so after trying everything else I tried some indica capsules 25 mgs THC.  I take it 45 min before I go to bed and sleep like a baby.  I also use a CBD Rich oil 4 to 1 CBD/THC for nausea and pain and it helps some.  So far so good.

I never was a smoker but my insomnia was off the charts so after trying everything else I tried some indica capsules 25 mgs THC.  I take it 45 min before I go to bed and sleep like a baby.  I also use a CBD Rich oil 4 to 1 CBD/THC for nausea and pain and it helps some.  So far so good.

Good to hear that this helps.  Be aware that low dose CBD oil is actually activating/energizing.  High dose CBD (considered an overdose by mmj doctors) can help with sleep.  I'd take the CBD in the morning and capsules at night to make sure the CBD doesn't counteract the capsules.

As far as what is a low dose of CBD and what's a high dose, as in any compound, it depends on the person.  Experts recommend starting with a couple of drops and working your way up to see what your personal optimal dose is.  Many times it's much lower than one would expect.  What is effective at a low dose may turn paradoxical at a higher dose with CBD.

I was at a conference that featured Dr. Dustin Sulak this past weekend in Humboldt County.  He has a free website called Healer.com and has treated some of the worst cases of pediatric epilepsy patients in his practice.  He's considered one of (if the the most) premier medical cannabis practitioners in the US.