Can marijuana help through benzo withdrawal?

[Iw...]

I tried CBD oil from Netherlands bought into UK from the website....

But mine is 30% man!! it effed me up!!  :D I was really bad all day and night, but it passed by the morning, thank the G man, but yours was only 4% and it was helpful? I'm wondering if 30% was too strong maybe? I used  love smoking weed but stop as it rockets my anxiety, it used to chill me right out before. :(

That's really strong, they sell here 2% and 4% at the pharmacy. I take a couple of drops, but 3 times a day. Perhaps try a tiny drop first?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Iw...]

• [Ge...]

• [Ja...]

• [Cr...]

Hey abcd,

The MJ is from a local coffeeshop, there is no saying how much THC/CBD it has, growing is illegal in Holland, selling isn't (yes it's crazy, the moment pot enters a coffeeshop it's suddenly legal to sell and buy - but it's illegal to bring in there).

It's a mellow strain, one of the cheapest, it doesn't give much of a high, but still enough to make me feel a bit anxious, so that's a clear negative effect. But after 10-20 minutes the high goes away and the muscle relaxation stays.

I also take legal CBD oil, 4% concentrate, 5 drops 3 times a day and this helps a lot too. I didn't take it for a month and experienced real bad cramps in the back and legs, didn't connect the dots at first, now I bought another bottle 4 days ago and it's gone. There is no high from CBD oil.

I wouldn't recommend the MJ for most ppl though, the anxiety can be overwhelming if you are no used to it, I certainly smoke a lot less during withdrawal, trying to find a balance between the positive and negative effects. And it's difficult to find a strain that has these effects, as most ppl just want to get high.

Sorry for the delay in responding, Garalt, appreciate the info!

Lucky for you the high only lasts 10-20 mins.  Mine lasted a brutal 4 hours.  I can't remember if it caused anxiety or not (guess I'd have remembered if it were terrible, right?).  I also tried making a butter and cookies, my first and only attempt thus far.  It was way too weak to do much of anything, especially pain-wise, but did make me feel rather disconnected for a couple of days.  I've still got all the butter in the freezer, maybe I should just go for it again, throw the whole batch of it into one or two muffins or something, just to get it in my system and see what happens.  Not much to lose at this point. 

Geralt and Nova, can I ask how long the anxiety lasted for?  Was it just and episode or did it run a course?  Thanks.

Hey abcd,

The MJ is from a local coffeeshop, there is no saying how much THC/CBD it has, growing is illegal in Holland, selling isn't (yes it's crazy, the moment pot enters a coffeeshop it's suddenly legal to sell and buy - but it's illegal to bring in there).

It's a mellow strain, one of the cheapest, it doesn't give much of a high, but still enough to make me feel a bit anxious, so that's a clear negative effect. But after 10-20 minutes the high goes away and the muscle relaxation stays.

I also take legal CBD oil, 4% concentrate, 5 drops 3 times a day and this helps a lot too. I didn't take it for a month and experienced real bad cramps in the back and legs, didn't connect the dots at first, now I bought another bottle 4 days ago and it's gone. There is no high from CBD oil.

I wouldn't recommend the MJ for most ppl though, the anxiety can be overwhelming if you are no used to it, I certainly smoke a lot less during withdrawal, trying to find a balance between the positive and negative effects. And it's difficult to find a strain that has these effects, as most ppl just want to get high.

Sorry for the delay in responding, Garalt, appreciate the info!

Lucky for you the high only lasts 10-20 mins.  Mine lasted a brutal 4 hours.  I can't remember if it caused anxiety or not (guess I'd have remembered if it were terrible, right?).  I also tried making a butter and cookies, my first and only attempt thus far.  It was way too weak to do much of anything, especially pain-wise, but did make me feel rather disconnected for a couple of days.  I've still got all the butter in the freezer, maybe I should just go for it again, throw the whole batch of it into one or two muffins or something, just to get it in my system and see what happens.  Not much to lose at this point. 

Geralt and Nova, can I ask how long the anxiety lasted for?  Was it just and episode or did it run a course?  Thanks.

18 hours  :D never again.

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hey abcd, with this particular strain, I have the anxiety for just 20-30 minutes, just like the high. The exception was after the panic attack, then the anxiety lasted 1,5 day. However after the panic attack, I decreased the dose I smoke by like 70%, and now I just smoke before sleep, it's better.

Update, as I am on Day 4 of acute.

Smoking now increases my tinnitus and headpressure, so I only smoke on the evenings now. Also my tolerance went really down, so it's just a few puffs.

Sleep is still very good. Yesterday some racing thoughts and broken sleep (6 hours), but got it back with 9 hours today.

It's really a thin line between the good and bad effects.

Thanks, Nova and Geralt.  Eighteen hours of anxiety is a long time!  I'm dealing with enough physically already, I don't know I have any energy left in me for any mental sxs.  So it's very good to hear of everyone's individual experiences.  Seems so much trial and error involved. 

I haven't bitten the bullet again yet but when I do, it will be very, very delicate inhales and I think I'm going to start by mixing it with tobacco too.

Will post an update on it.

Thanks, Nova and Geralt.  Eighteen hours of anxiety is a long time!  I'm dealing with enough physically already, I don't know I have any energy left in me for any mental sxs.  So it's very good to hear of everyone's individual experiences.  Seems so much trial and error involved. 

I haven't bitten the bullet again yet but when I do, it will be very, very delicate inhales and I think I'm going to start by mixing it with tobacco too.

Will post an update on it.

I wouldn't mix it with Tobacco due to all the other few thousands chemicals in it and the r pure tobacco is a plant you grow yourself and in UK its bloody ''illegal'' but if I thought it could benefit me I'd grow it irregardless I used to grow my own weed. I would vape it if I was going to smoke it ever again but using a Forced air vaporizer.

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I think medical cannabis can definietely help, but everyone reacts differently. Do what works for you, theres tons of research about the benefits of medical cannabis.

I started using MMJ recently. It mostly really helps, but I think I got complacent and cut my xanax by a little too much, and I feel pretty crappy today. looking for a higher CBD / lower THC. Really helped my anxiety and muscles relaxed, I felt calm and good. Just waiting for another window now. I am a legal card holder , hoping this stuff will help in the long run.

• 1 month later...

i just got my license also! if you're in canada, what distributers have you tried? or what strains? i ordered some boatymcboatface aka catatonic from tweed...fyi that's tweed's name for it not mine  :thumbsup:

next question who here vapes? with oil or bud?

• 1 month later...

Quick update: I quit smoking marijuana 5 days ago. During withdrawal I was smoking it only in the evenings, but as the withdrawal symptoms improved over the last 3 months, I unfortunately went back to my daily routine of getting high from morning till evening. This was fun for a couple of weeks, but then the bad effects, like the burned lungs or emotional dullness started to take over and I decided to quit.

To my amazement I am now in a marijuana withdrawal. My emotions go up and down, from anger and irritability to sadness, crying and depression. Also night sweats, this night I had to change my t-shirt 3 times, especially sweating around the neck. On day 3 and 4 I had a very bad headache and nausea, which made me almost puke to smells of food, or even thoughts of it. Today is a bit better, and the marijuana withdrawal is nothing compared to benzo's ofcourse, but it wasn't a fun ride. Sleep actually didn't get that much worse, waking up more often, and problems falling asleep.

It feels like the last month of recovery has been wasted on smoking weed, as the main argument was sleep, but this doesn't hold up anymore. Just wanted to share.

Geral:  I have found that my "come down" after stopping weed is about 10 days. I get the sweats too.  There is no drug that's a free ride.

Not a waste of time. You live and learn and you're further along now.

@[ d...]

I hope you are right, my tinnitus has also increased back to levels short before and after the jump.

I don't know what to make of this anymore, either the marijuana withdrawal is causing all these symptoms over the last weeks, or the marijuana really helped with the benzo withdrawal and without I am now feeling it in full force :(

I love weed and this benzo thing is a complicating factor. But I think, and am hoping fervently, that the bad side of the weed will become lesser and lesser as time goes on from jumping off the benzos, both in smoking it, and in discontinuing.  That's my default position until I get other information.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't smoke much after quitting benzos last december. Sometimes I would get really depressed though, and the only way to break through the depression and be productive was to smoke. I went for months without smoking, but I had bad depression and 'writer's block' so to speak on a project I was working on. So I smoked, and got it done.

The first 6 months off benzos, I probably smoked a handful of times. This Fall I went through a couple weeks where I smoked more often though. It really helped me feel good from a depression standpoint, but did increase my anxiety. It would start out not making me too nervous, but the more I used it the more anxious I would get--so I would quit. And then the withdrawal from weed made me depressed when I stopped using.

I'm not sure if trying a high CBD strain would be better. I was thinking it would help the depression without the increased anxiety. But it might be better to quit all drugs altogether. Right now weed is the only drug I consider taking other than multivitamins.

• 2 months later...

I am currently taking a  thc 6% 9% cbd indica strain. which  helps to  reduce the muscle twitches and anxiety. I have been off diazepam since september.

My history with weed in the past included two attempts that led to 1) a seizure and 2) a panic attack

Then while in acute benzo WD I was super desperate and tried weed and strangely it actually helped my sxs...

However it didnt really help me sleep and the hangover revs my sxs back up so overall it didnt really do any good. The best use I can see for it is a one time use during a critical time to stop a panic attack or prevent a seizure, assuming it works.

I definitely won't be smoking again for a long time, if ever again. I had really bad anxiety after smoking, and it brought back symptoms of benzo withdrawal. I don't recommend it. I also heard you increase your risk of seizures by smoking while in withdrawal. It definitely messes with your head. I don't know about high cbd strains, but I just don't see the point in trying them if there's a chance of raising my anxiety and bringing back withdrawal symptoms--as well as the depression you get from quitting weed.

I have the best results from eating healthy, staying active, and staying productive.

• 1 month later...

I have been considering trying to smoke some marijuana again just to see how it would affect me.

I used to be a regular smoker when I was younger, though I haven't really done it again in nearly 5 years. I used to find it great to calm down my anxiety and help insomnia (all of this pre-benzo).

I might try it out in the coming weeks just to see what happens.

Marijuana elevates heart rate and therefore can trigger a panic attack. I was a daily pot smoker and 90 percent of the times I was great except for random bug outs. Klonopin took that edge off. Then when I was tapering in the fall I got massive attacks every time I smoked. My cold turkey was so bad in January I didn't even bother trying it. I smoked one little hit the other night and my heart went crazy. I hear what you are saying about being hungry prior to smoking and how it can cause some anxiety that's a real thing. But I don't think pot is useful for benzo withdrawals. I love marijuana and I'm super sad to not be smoking it anymore. I don't think it's harmful, but I'd rather avoid a panic attack or chest discomfort. I may try some edibles at some point. I researched this to death because I so miss smoking it but from everything I've read it doesn't seem conducive to the brain healing post benzos. If you try and it works for you congrats. Let me know how it goes. Lol