Can marijuana help through benzo withdrawal?

[Iw...]

We are all different, as we have each individually discovered on our road to benzo freedom, so for some marijuana may provide benefits; however, for others it may cause or exacerbate a vast array of issues, of which, I can personally attest  If smoking marijuana works for you then great, but it strikes me as rather ironic that some members extol the virtues of smoking weed and sing from the rooftops about how much it helped them and what a Godsend it was, yet they still all ended up on a benzo, and various other meds to boot.  If marijuana was that fantastic and cured you of all your ills, why then did you feel the need to take a benzo?  I'm certainly not judging, but it just strikes me as odd, that's all. 

We welcome all opinions here at BenzoBuddies, so if a fellow buddie states that they had a bad experience with regards to marijuana, take their word for it, and don't see it as a personal attack on that fact that your experience may have differed.  After all, there are many people out there who would sing the praises of benzos and claim that this "wonder drug" saved their lives, but none of us feel that way, do we?  The vast majority of us here loathe benzos and believe they are spawned from the pits of hell, but that doesn't mean everyone feels that way, now does it?  Which takes me back to my opening statement: we are all different.  So even though you may believe that marijuana is a wonderful drug, the majority of our members do not feel that way and have every right to express that opinion, contrary to pro-supporters.  And also please adhere to the FUM rules here at BB which states that one must not promote the use, abuse or so-called healing properties of illegal drugs to the wider forum.  There is a fine line when it comes to discussions of this nature, and it is a line that we must moderate closely.  Perhaps those members wishing to extol the virtues of marijuana would be better doing so away from this forum in future?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Iw...]

• [Ge...]

• [Ja...]

• [Cr...]

Ok for me it was a godsend at first i smoked for about 2 weeks ( i had stopped for 7 months when i started my taper) and it was great i got very lil anxiety but relieved all the depression and juss made me forget i was going through hell....i also have been smoking since a teenager everyday and im now 25...I never got prescribed benzos as i accidentally fell into this trap on my own by abusing it...so i dont have a history of needing anything for depression/ anxiety or anything to be honest....after 2 weeks, i had smoked prolly 1 hour before with a friend saved some for home and was feeling fine got home noticed i was getting real hungry and said F*ck it let me smoke before i eat....and that set off a panic attack you can say with tachycardia....as i wasnt even thinking of a bad reaction to the marijuana or anything, my heart just started racing fast as its never done since ive smoked weed my entire life practically...i got scarred called ER and started to eat a yogurt while my hands where shaking like crazy by the time they got there i had finished my yogurt and my heart rate was back to normal ( this was also 4 days after a drycut)....now i have no idea why after those 2 weeks and prolly 30 smoking attempts, i got 1 bad reaction which scarred me...one my main w/d symptoms from this taper has been uncontrollable hunger pains and i know a lot of nerves do reside in the stomach....I want to smoke so bad to be honest lol as i feel it will make this process go a lot faster....but im juss terrified of going through at again and its prolly due to the shock of my nerves going through cuts and my stomach issues....I guess im just one of the unlucky ones thats going have to wait till this hell ends and let my body recover till i smoke again.... :-\

P.S. ive never smoked ciggs but after this reaction and not being able to smoke pot im pickin up the habit of smoking them just to keep me entertained and i get no negative reaction towards it....does cigg smoke differentiate from weed smoke?? i think its MIT lol munchie induced tachycardia if that even exists lk ben said, cause i do get shaky when i dont eat going through cuts when im not stable.....idk....i just dont wanna set off a panic attack

Everyone is going to have their own opinion on Marijuana and it's effects. It helps some, while it just isn't for others. I used it in binges when I was 17 and am just now coming the realization that it's not for me, especially while I'm in withdrawal.

I've smoked on four occasions since tapering and each time I do it I feel like complete crap the next day. Not only do I feel guilty, because I knew I shouldn't have done it, but I also have a mental fog like no other. While helping me to not focus on anxiety, it also unfocused me towards the healthy habits I was/ am learning to deal with anxiety.

All in all, if you like smoking and it doesn't have any negative effects, then that's your choice. But, if it's hindering you in someway, you might want to reconsider what you're doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

There has been a lot of discussion about Marijuana in the forum. Please read this link to understand the position we need to take here.

Guidelines/Rules Regarding the Use and Promotion of Medicines and Drugs

Since most of our members have dependency/addiction issues with benzodiazepines, and our stated mission is to help them quit, it would be untenable for us to allow content that discourages them from this goal, or encourages behaviour that might lead to a new dependency or addiction. Therefore:

Do not promote illegal drug use. Nor should you describe drug paraphernalia, exult positive experiences, or glorify their use. Please keep descriptions factual and dispassionate.

Do not promote the abuse (or illegal or inappropriate use) of medicines.

Do not promote addictive substances as withdrawal adjunctives.

With the above guidance in mind, you may discuss your use of medicines and illicit drugs as they pertain to benzodiazepine use and withdrawal. Additionally, please bear in mind that our focus is benzodiazepine withdrawal, so the collective knowledge of our membership about drugs and medicines other than benzodiazepines will be limited. You should not expect, nor engage in, detailed discussions about drugs or medicines other than benzodiazepines.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=25735.0

Hi Mike,

I saw your thread, and appreciate your posts and coming upon this statement that star104 posted, too; I don't remember reading it before, but am glad to know.

As a recovering marijuana addict who was clean from the pot for nearly fourteen years, then relapsed into the addiction in 2000 and stayed there for almost six years, I encourage anyone who smokes pot to think about two things: 1) THC is physically addictive; the contents of THC are much higher than they were twenty-five years ago when I first quit smoking it. And, 2) Detoxing from pot five years ago was horrific. I smoked daily and it did, in fact, impair my ability to function and in many ways the relapse onto pot is (I feel certain) what led to insomnia and my then acquiring a new dependence on "sleep aids" a.k.a. benzos and Z drugs. Again, the detox and w/d from pot was as awful as what I know benzo w/d to be, and while smoking I experienced definitive depression and despair. And, so I finally had to pay the price of w/d to be free, just as we are doing now with the benzos.

Just thought I'd share, because I am a bona fide marijuana addict, and I have many friends who are also recovering from this addiction as well. I can give you info. where you can read more if you like, Mike.

Meanwhile, please get rid of the cigarettes for sure; my goodness if you don't smoke them regularly, don't start! You deserve good ways to care for yourself, and there are ways available. I figure that we ingest things by smoking (this is a theory I have arrived at after years of smoking pot, and years ago smoking cigs, and from sharing experiences with fellow pot smokers who also smoke cigs.) because we are trying to inhale deeply the oxygen that we really need, and the smoke also allows for a longer exhale which is a crucial aspect for letting go of stress. So, inhale the air around you deeply and exhale very slowly, and your tummy, brain and entire body will notice a difference; I promise. And, you won't be adding nicotine or THC to your blood stream and brain.

Are you tapering V? If so, it looks like we're on a similar path from what our signatures say.

I wish you all the best for your recovery, and I hope and trust that you are doing well.

Peace and blessings,

Grace~

:)

Yea im actually at 13mg just like you!  :)....I would actually have to disagree on the marijuana addiction as i let go of marijuana from one day to another while in my taper and never experienced one w/d from it and i have been smoking for 7 years everyday....idk everyone is different....the only thing i do notice its addictive psychologically, cause when im not around it i dont think about it but when i am i crave it lol....ive let go of the ciggs i smoked once in a while but ive never really enjoyed ciggs at all!! disgusting!  :sick:....marijuana does give you insomnia after long term use which i experienced but never really bothered me, ive noticed you cant smoke right before sleeping if so it will induce insomnia! lol and your right the thc levels of today are a lot stronger than in the past for sure, but im just going stay clear from marijuana for now as interferes with the w/d....thanks for the advice grace seeker me and you will be benzo free more or less around the same time as i see your signature and taking .5mg every week like me  :).....we will make it!  :thumbsup:

Medical Marijuana is legal in the state I live in. It can help with some symptoms of withdrawal such as sleep, appetite and those types of things. This is only if you get indica marijuana that is very calming. There is another type called sativa marijuana that can make a person nervous. Google it. Another bad thing is that it does not last long and you will need a very large supply all the time. I tried indica when I was first in tolerance withdrawal. The relaxing part and appetite was wondeful and I didn't feel any pain or much of anything at all. When I came down off it the next day I was in worse condition so it seemed. I chose to not renew my medical marijuana card and not use it at all.

I'll admit I used to smoke a lot when I was in college, and before that.  Only a handful of times since. 

I would like to ask one thing.  Why do people believe all the doom and gloom about marijuana they read on the internet somewhere,  written by some doctor or someone who obviously has an anti marijuana stance.  While we ALL KNOW how untrue facts can be spread. Just like with benzo's.  How much untrue stuff about them have we all been told, read, etc by people who dont know what they are talking about?

All I'm saying is, if you haven't experienced it for yourself please take what you read with a grain of salt. Especially some of the doom and gloom stuff you read on the net.

Sure Marijuana has it's own set of problems. But it is my experience that it DOES help some things.  It is ok for some people, while on the same hand it can exacerbate problems that other people have.

I have chosen personally not to smoke it any longer. Not because I think it will mess me up, but because it just does not fit in my life any longer at this point.

Mark22, I agree with you 100%. At one time marijuana was legal. It's the government that makes it illegal. Marijuana when grown in the right kind of strain has it's medical uses. It truly helped my pain and appetite and helped me to sleep. The worse part was that it doesn't last very long. Another part is trusting your caregiver that he is giving you the kind you need and not one that will cause paranoid feelings and sleeplessness. I am all for medical marijuana when used for the right reasons. I have never heard of anyone having bad withdrawal from it but I have seen many in detox for alcohol, pain pills and of course these wicked benzo's that we have all fallen victim to.

Mark22, I agree with you 100%. At one time marijuana was legal. It's the government that makes it illegal. Marijuana when grown in the right kind of strain has it's medical uses. It truly helped my pain and appetite and helped me to sleep. The worse part was that it doesn't last very long. Another part is trusting your caregiver that he is giving you the kind you need and not one that will cause paranoid feelings and sleeplessness. I am all for medical marijuana when used for the right reasons. I have never heard of anyone having bad withdrawal from it but I have seen many in detox for alcohol, pain pills and of course these wicked benzo's that we have all fallen victim to.

And I agree with everything you just said.  A good indica strain would be fantastic for benzo wd I think..since it helps with anxiety..I can see where someone could say a sativa strain messed someone up who was in benzo wd because sativa strains are kind of trippy and do not help anxiety at all.  

I guess it is all individual when it comes down to it.  

As I said, these days I chose to have NO drugs in my life.  It's just how *I* want to live my life.  I have had issues with substances. I chose to go to meetings these days (recovery)  

And I agree with everything you just said.  A good indica strain would be fantastic for benzo wd I think..since it helps with anxiety..I can see where someone could say a sativa strain messed someone up who was in benzo wd because sativa strains are kind of trippy and do not help anxiety at all. 

I guess it is all individual when it comes down to it. 

As I said, these days I chose to have NO drugs in my life.  It's just how *I* want to live my life.  I have had issues with substances. I chose to go to meetings these days (recovery) 

If it's legal in your state and you have discussed it with a dr. and it helps, and you dont abuse it then I say go for it. 

Hello Mark22,

As you may know, we watch threads like this one very carefully to make sure it is in line with our rules and policies.  I'm uncomfortable with your last sentence however as it does feel prescriptive.

Thanks everyone for endeavoring to keep this thread from becoming prescriptive or promoting it as a withdrawal adjunctive.

Pamster

oops I do apologize for that last part pamster...I didnt mean to promote it or anything, as I wasn't speaking to anyone in particular..it was a "go for it" in general terms..not directed at anyone.....anyway, I will change it

I live in the state of Montana. Anyone who has read the news knows this state is the highest in the nation for easily obtaining medical marijuana cards and abusing the system. They are now starting to come down harder on it but we have so many who use it that the law is losing. It took nothing for me to get a medical marijuana card last year. It expired this year and I chose not to renew my card and use it anymore because I don't want to depend on it after I am completely off the benzo's. Also if I have a reaction to something I want to know what is causing it and adding med m won't help me figure it out.

• 1 year later...

Sounds like MIT- munchie induced tachycardia. Having a giant bag of chips on hand is essential.

Really tho- just lay off for now! You can toke it up after a safe amount of time has lapsed.

:laugh:

Sounds like MIT- munchie induced tachycardia. Having a giant bag of chips on hand is essential.

Really tho- just lay off for now! You can toke it up after a safe amount of time has lapsed.

:laugh:

Did just that skyzone thanks! back to smoking after a year off benzos and it helps!

I have been a daily pot smoker since I was 13, and I have had to stop twice now during benzo w/d.

For the most part, it seemed to be working wonders for me. It kept me calm and entertained, it helped me eat, and it also helped me sleep. But, I had to stop because it was causing me to have paranoid delusions like a schizophrenic person would have. I won't be smoking again for quite awhile, because the last episode was absolutely terrifying. I thought my best friend was something like a Matrix agent, like a demon in disguise. I felt like the universe was trying to "get me" and that he was part of the operation.

It has helped me a LOT as of late. I live in WA so it's legal for everybody btw...

I use it for the pancolitis i've had for over 10 years now...nothing else helps and MJ does  :D I just take a few hits of hash at night to relax my colon (and my mind). During my benzo taper it has helped with the muscle twitching, insomnia and the tietze syndrome pain I deal with on a daily basis...Luckily I have access to high CBD indica strains that are extremely relaxing and anxiolytic.

People can hate on cannabis all they want, but for my condition it's either opiates or cannabis for pain management, and I always choose the latter. My doctor will prescribe me opiates whenever I want, but I've only opted for that option once in the past 5 years when I originally got diagnosed with tietze syndrome (horrible pain!)

Oh, I don't hate it -- it's a pretty fantastic substance, and in your case it sounds like it's great because it's clearly a lot less harmful long term than opiates. I just think people should be a little careful about trading one drug for another; maybe some people are happy with that, but I've played that game for a long time and overall think I'll be happiest to not be dependent on anything psychoactive to get me through the day.

It gives me racing heartbeat and panic attacks, but asides from that, it is wonderful for depression and for some people, anxiety even.  I just can't smoke it because of the anxiety and panic attacks. 

I am 7 weeks free of benzos but suffering a lot from Acute wd.  what you describe with the panic attacks, I have felt a thousand times over during this 3 year struggle.  For me it has many causes.  One of them is the low blood sugar problem I have had all my life.  Most of my life I have been underweight.  I must eat frequently.  My blood sugar can dive because  I have not eaten enough or the right things, because I ate the wrong thing( I am sensitive to many foods and allergic to some - celiac, etc), because I am having a reaction to a chemical or ?, now of course because of wd.  It hits me the worst in the early morning hours when sleep just doesn't happen.  At least now I don't have 4 or 5 waves of extreme Terror attacks and massive sweats plus all the other sxs!  It is not as bad...still there.  some nights tho' I have actually slept up to 6 or 7 hours broken sleep!  rare but such a relief!  It is coming back.  the food sensitivities and low blood sugar will no doubt always be an issue for me and feeding myself is a job!  Much better without the poison tho!

• 1 year later...

I used to love smoking weed :) , I never got paranoid and was fully functional even if more relaxed than normal and everyone said i looked straight when stoned. I smoked before work, in work as EVERYONE did it including the area manager, but we still ran a tight ship and the business prospered well. :thumbsup: Then after many year's i quit the Ganga and the Cigarettes as well.

Fast forward after being prescribed Benzos,  (Atvan 2mg the first of many and told to up dose each time i said there not working so was taking 30 to 40 2mg's a dayZ drugs and AD's.  Strong opiate pain killers for 'Fibromyalgia'' M.E, nerve damage, 'Neuropathic pain, Heamatomas , mysterious black bruises appearing all over my body and was told i had 'an unknown blood disorder.

To cut an amazingly even longer misdiagnoses as EVERYTHING was from the Benzos unknown to me at the time over 30 year's :tickedoff:  I  decided to try the weed to try relive all the physical agony and the crazy insomnia as i sometimes can't sleep for a week or more. BAD MOVE!!!  :o

It caused panic attacks so bad i spent months calling Ambulances out getting rushed into Hospital 'experimented' on as the test's were showing nothing .MORE DRUGS  all because of  few joints?? Do drink Alcohol desperation either!!  >:D You will be super sorry you did!!    :sick: I know, I tried it . OMG!!!

Nova  :smitten:

Yes but you smoked weed with psychoactive properties...the type I am referring to has none at all. They even give it to children.

Wish I lived somewhere that it was available...sadly for us in states where its illegal, you can't just go to a street corner in the hood and buy some high CBD bud lol.