Can marijuana help through benzo withdrawal?

[Iw...]

I never was a smoker but my insomnia was off the charts so after trying everything else I tried some indica capsules 25 mgs THC.  I take it 45 min before I go to bed and sleep like a baby.  I also use a CBD Rich oil 4 to 1 CBD/THC for nausea and pain and it helps some.  So far so good.

Good to hear that this helps.  Be aware that low dose CBD oil is actually activating/energizing.  High dose CBD (considered an overdose by mmj doctors) can help with sleep.  I'd take the CBD in the morning and capsules at night to make sure the CBD doesn't counteract the capsules.

As far as what is a low dose of CBD and what's a high dose, as in any compound, it depends on the person.  Experts recommend starting with a couple of drops and working your way up to see what your personal optimal dose is.  Many times it's much lower than one would expect.  What is effective at a low dose may turn paradoxical at a higher dose with CBD.

A tiny bit of CBD oil gave me anxiety. I was so freakin bummed!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Iw...]

• [Ge...]

• [Ja...]

• [Cr...]

I was at a conference that featured Dr. Dustin Sulak this past weekend in Humboldt County.  He has a free website called Healer.com and has treated some of the worst cases of pediatric epilepsy patients in his practice.  He's considered one of (if the the most) premier medical cannabis practitioners in the US.

Thanks Challis, I will definately read about Dr. Sulak.  I did not know low CBD was stimulating.  I heard that THC is best for sleep and CBD counteracts that mechanism, so what you are saying makes sense.

I never was a smoker but my insomnia was off the charts so after trying everything else I tried some indica capsules 25 mgs THC.  I take it 45 min before I go to bed and sleep like a baby.  I also use a CBD Rich oil 4 to 1 CBD/THC for nausea and pain and it helps some.  So far so good.

Good to hear that this helps.  Be aware that low dose CBD oil is actually activating/energizing.  High dose CBD (considered an overdose by mmj doctors) can help with sleep.  I'd take the CBD in the morning and capsules at night to make sure the CBD doesn't counteract the capsules.

As far as what is a low dose of CBD and what's a high dose, as in any compound, it depends on the person.  Experts recommend starting with a couple of drops and working your way up to see what your personal optimal dose is.  Many times it's much lower than one would expect.  What is effective at a low dose may turn paradoxical at a higher dose with CBD.

A tiny bit of CBD oil gave me anxiety. I was so freakin bummed!

Like anything else, what works for one may work differently for another person.  I have an elderly friend who takes a dropper of CBD oil at night and swears it helps her sleep, so either a dropper is a large dose of CBD for her or she reacts paradoxically. 

Dr. Sulak's advice to his patients re dosing is to start with a drop of oil, see how it affects you and go from there.  His philosophy, which makes perfect sense, is that all drugs work this way.  We are just used to being given the buckshot approach to prescriptions in Western medicine... same dose for a 110 pound person as a 250 pound person.  Weight isn't the only variable, one size does not fit all when prescribing anything.

Before this slips my mind, I asked two different experts at the conference about cannabis and GABA receptors.  It's well known that cannabis affects CB1(mostly head) and CB2 receptors(mostly body), but it is not yet known whether cannabis affects the GABAa receptors.

Tolerance to cannabis is thought to reverse in around 48 hours, whereas it seems like tolerance to benzodiazepines never reverses.  I'm not sure if any conclusion can be drawn accurately from that, but it may indicate that cannabis, if it does affect the GABAa receptors, is fairly benign and quickly reversed.

Don't quote me on that part, though.  No one knows yet.

Tolerance to cannabis is thought to reverse in around 48 hours, whereas it seems like tolerance to benzodiazepines never reverses.  I'm not sure if any conclusion can be drawn accurately from that, but it may indicate that cannabis, if it does affect the GABAa receptors, is fairly benign and quickly reversed.

Hmm, do you have citations for these? I'm just curious because both are pretty contrary to my own life experience... I'd say that a significant cannabis tolerance usually takes 2-4 weeks to reverse, and the tolerance I had to benzos when I took them regularly definitely reversed at some point in the 3-4 years I've been off of them. I've used them very infrequently for a couple things over the past year, and I'd say that my response to them is about the same as it was before I took them in the first place.

I suppose one compounding factor with regard to cannabis is that THC and related compounds are lipophilic, so if you use it consistently for a period of time, it might well that 2-4 weeks to get to a point where you've been without the drug in your body for 48h.

• 2 weeks later...
that grass is some bad sh*t.. do it if you want to go crazy.. it's not a medicine at all or a cure all.. it's sh*t. 

I've heard of someone who developed severe paranoia after long term marijuana use, checked into the hospital for suicidal thoughts and was treated with Xanax, and then developed Xanax withdrawals.....

Also, one musician I really respected gave an interview before his passing how he used marijuana to open him up emotionally, so he would come with better songs. This was a gateway to fentanyl and other hard-core opiates........

Pretty sure that medical marijuana helps a lot of people, but I think that most people on benzos should stay as far away as possible. We probably had to stay away from everything. We're probably the most medicine/substance sensitive people out there.

I've heard of someone who developed severe paranoia after long term marijuana use, checked into the hospital for suicidal thoughts and was treated with Xanax, and then developed Xanax withdrawals.....

Also, one musician I really respected gave an interview before his passing how he used marijuana to open him up emotionally, so he would come with better songs. This was a gateway to fentanyl and other hard-core opiates........

Pretty sure that medical marijuana helps a lot of people, but I think that most people on benzos should stay as far away as possible. We probably had to stay away from everything. We're probably the most medicine/substance sensitive people out there.

Some good advice, Lora.

Less is sometimes more. Although, many anecdotal reports claimed MJ helped to 'heal' patients of some of the symptoms, its application is highly individualized and relative to the patient (which is the basis of pretty much every approach in achieving benzo recovery  ;) ).

There is too much conflicting research regarding MJ's mechanism of action and pharmacodynamics on the body.

Even where it’s legal you can’t find it.  My doctor told that even the stuff that is supposed to be low/no THC ends as high THC when tested.

This is not true, please do some more research before posting ignorant replies. MJ helps a hell of a lot of people. It may not help everyone, it may not help everyone trying to taper off a benzo, but it does help a lot of people as a medicine. I also see no issues with recreational use, as long as it is done responsibly.

that grass is some bad sh*t.. do it if you want to go crazy.. it's not a medicine at all or a cure all.. it's sh*t.

This is not true, please do some more research before posting ignorant replies. MJ helps a hell of a lot of people. It may not help everyone, it may not help everyone trying to taper off a benzo, but it does help a lot of people as a medicine. I also see no issues with recreational use, as long as it is done responsibly.

It does help a lot of people. Marinol is a medication that is basically synthetic THC that helps cancer patients and those who are cachexic with appetite, pain, inflammation...and the list goes on...

Marinol was bumped up to a Schedule III drug, which makes it available for refills.

How the hell can naturally occurring THC still be considered a Schedule I drug, along with CBD, while a drug like Marinol exists?!?!?

CBD has no psychological effects, but is still a Schedule I drug, except in California where it can be prescribed.

Here's what the DEA says about medications, concerning the criteria for legality and/or rescheduling:

"When it comes to a drug that is currently listed in schedule I, if it is undisputed that such drug has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States and a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision, and it is further undisputed that the drug has at least some potential for abuse sufficient to warrant control under the CSA, the drug must remain in schedule I. In such circumstances, placement of the drug in schedules II through V would conflict with the CSA since such drug would not meet the criterion of "a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States."

— Drug Enforcement Administration

I say let the states decide and keep The Fed and their grimy, profiteering chokers out of it.

Wow ,just read some of the previous posts . Okay coming from someone who has smoked it in their younger years and lives with someone with a chronic very serious illness who uses it on a daily basis .I have some personal knowledge of it  .Its not for everyone .Which is why I don't use it . I tend to get anxiety anyway and marijuana or THC fires up the anxiety big time . But for someone who is not the anxious type it can be a life saver literally .It helps SOME people with severe pain and helps them with their appetites and helps calm their nerves .And it is natural which is way better for your body then using chemicals that mess with your brain chemistry . I guess bottom line is if it doesnt agree with you dont use it ,but dont try to scare people into thinking its going to drive them nuts .It might very well be the thing that saves their life or helps them cope when nothing else will

Wow ,just read some of the previous posts . Okay coming from someone who has smoked it in their younger years and lives with someone with a chronic very serious illness who uses it on a daily basis .I have some personal knowledge of it  .Its not for everyone .Which is why I don't use it . I tend to get anxiety anyway and marijuana or THC fires up the anxiety big time . But for someone who is not the anxious type it can be a life saver literally .It helps SOME people with severe pain and helps them with their appetites and helps calm their nerves .And it is natural which is way better for your body then using chemicals that mess with your brain chemistry . I guess bottom line is if it doesnt agree with you dont use it ,but dont try to scare people into thinking its going to drive them nuts .It might very well be the thing that saves their life or helps them cope when nothing else will

This is true, every body system is different.  :) :)

• 2 months later...
Weed has saved me.  My withdrawal was unbearable with tinnitus and insomnia.  Ironically I got hooked on Benzos to get off weed.  Now that I've had my first benzo experience, I'm using weed to get off benzos.  It helps me sleep a lot and the sleep promotes healing.  I will have to deal with getting off weed when I finish my taper, but I've done that many times.  Not easy, but not dangerous like Klonopin.  And NEVEr again will I take a Benzo!

I guarantee you it helped me get off benzos. I went CT over 2 months ago and now I am doing great (well I still have my moments but doing really well!) and I attribute it to my MJ use through that time.

Weed has saved me.  My withdrawal was unbearable with tinnitus and insomnia.  Ironically I got hooked on Benzos to get off weed.  Now that I've had my first benzo experience, I'm using weed to get off benzos.  It helps me sleep a lot and the sleep promotes healing.  I will have to deal with getting off weed when I finish my taper, but I've done that many times.  Not easy, but not dangerous like Klonopin.  And NEVEr again will I take a Benzo!

I was always a Sativa person but in benzo w/d I found it made me too paranoid so I go with Indica's now with a lower THC level and a higher CBD level.  I'm not talking high CBD like the actual CBD oils you can buy online, but higher levels that are available in traditional medical marijuana that you can get in dispensaries which is still pretty low. Although I really don't smoke that much anymore even though I have my license.  I look for a THC level around 11%-13% now when it used to be 19%-22% was what i would look for.

Well sometimes its hard to tell because I am not in a legal state so we don't always get the names....I know white widow, gorilla glue, blueberry.....heavy indica type stuff is what I like the best.

Hey Amber what strains are you using? I waiting for my paper work to go through to get my license.  8)

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone feel extra panic/anxiety due to the increase in heart rate from smoking? I'm 6 months out cold turkey and even before I smoke I get very anxious. Will this pass? I want to comfortably smoke again  :(

Does anyone feel extra panic/anxiety due to the increase in heart rate from smoking? I'm 6 months out cold turkey and even before I smoke I get very anxious. Will this pass? I want to comfortably smoke again  :(

I was fine with anxiety for 6 months then months 7 & 8 I started getting bad anxiety from the increased heart rate. Not being able to smoke weed was a big reason I had to reinstate (I reinstated month 8 ), so I completely understand the concern.

I've read supplementing with Vitamin E & echinacea before smoking could help, but I never got around to trying it because supplements weren't agreeing with me. That's a possible try if you're desperate, but I have no idea if it works.

If you're in a legal state or are buying from someone who knows what they're getting, indicas are your best bet. I'm pretty sure I was getting sativas and hybrids which were causing excess anxiety.

If you're smoking every day, you could try a break then coming back to it. I notice if I smoke for a long period without a break my anxiety increases. After a break the anxiety seems to lesson.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I am glad I found this thread, I have been smoking MJ during most of my taper too. I found a kind with low THC but a lot of muscle relaxants. It calms me down, relaxes the back muscles and the jaw, makes me sleepy.

Other kinds, apparently with a lot of THC, brought anxiety and even some panic, so not everything works.

I also noticed that I am smoking less, to find a good balance between muscle relaxation and clarity of the mind.

Although weed is legal here in the Netherlands, growing isn't, so you can't check in the coffeeshop for THC or CBD content, it's just a guess.

I also tried THC oil but that's very hard to dose and gave my anxiety.

CBD oil seems to work a bit, but no wonders.

It must be combination of low THC and CBD for me.

Hey guys,

I am glad I found this thread, I have been smoking MJ during most of my taper too. I found a kind with low THC but a lot of muscle relaxants. It calms me down, relaxes the back muscles and the jaw, makes me sleepy.

Other kinds, apparently with a lot of THC, brought anxiety and even some panic, so not everything works.

I also noticed that I am smoking less, to find a good balance between muscle relaxation and clarity of the mind.

Although weed is legal here in the Netherlands, growing isn't, so you can't check in the coffeeshop for THC or CBD content, it's just a guess.

I also tried THC oil but that's very hard to dose and gave my anxiety.

CBD oil seems to work a bit, but no wonders.

It must be combination of low THC and CBD for me.

Geralt, that's my ideal, a strong muscle relaxant.  Can I ask what ratios of THC:CBD you've tried.  What ratio works best for you?  And does it give you much of a high?  Also, have you tried it in edible form at all?

Thanks.

Hey abcd,

The MJ is from a local coffeeshop, there is no saying how much THC/CBD it has, growing is illegal in Holland, selling isn't (yes it's crazy, the moment pot enters a coffeeshop it's suddenly legal to sell and buy - but it's illegal to bring in there).

It's a mellow strain, one of the cheapest, it doesn't give much of a high, but still enough to make me feel a bit anxious, so that's a clear negative effect. But after 10-20 minutes the high goes away and the muscle relaxation stays.

I also take legal CBD oil, 4% concentrate, 5 drops 3 times a day and this helps a lot too. I didn't take it for a month and experienced real bad cramps in the back and legs, didn't connect the dots at first, now I bought another bottle 4 days ago and it's gone. There is no high from CBD oil.

I wouldn't recommend the MJ for most ppl though, the anxiety can be overwhelming if you are no used to it, I certainly smoke a lot less during withdrawal, trying to find a balance between the positive and negative effects. And it's difficult to find a strain that has these effects, as most ppl just want to get high.

Hey abcd,

The MJ is from a local coffeeshop, there is no saying how much THC/CBD it has, growing is illegal in Holland, selling isn't (yes it's crazy, the moment pot enters a coffeeshop it's suddenly legal to sell and buy - but it's illegal to bring in there).

It's a mellow strain, one of the cheapest, it doesn't give much of a high, but still enough to make me feel a bit anxious, so that's a clear negative effect. But after 10-20 minutes the high goes away and the muscle relaxation stays.

I also take legal CBD oil, 4% concentrate, 5 drops 3 times a day and this helps a lot too. I didn't take it for a month and experienced real bad cramps in the back and legs, didn't connect the dots at first, now I bought another bottle 4 days ago and it's gone. There is no high from CBD oil.

I wouldn't recommend the MJ for most ppl though, the anxiety can be overwhelming if you are no used to it, I certainly smoke a lot less during withdrawal, trying to find a balance between the positive and negative effects. And it's difficult to find a strain that has these effects, as most ppl just want to get high.

I tried CBD oil from Netherlands bought into UK from the website....

''CBD (Cannabidiol) Oil is a Cannabis derived our organic nutritional supplement made for active lifestyles. The purity, consistency, and quantity of Cannabidiol in our CBD Oil makes it the most convenient way to get your daily CBD.  Made using only the finest medical grade cannabis which is grown and produced in the Netherlands.'''

But mine is 30% man!! it effed me up!!  :D I was really bad all day and night, but it passed by the morning, thank the G man, but yours was only 4% and it was helpful? I'm wondering if 30% was too strong maybe? I used  love smoking weed but stop as it rockets my anxiety, it used to chill me right out before. :(

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: