Book lovers club!📙 New members welcome💕

[Sh...]

So any thoughts on the next book? I’d like to add fault in our stars to the list, as lady had already, although I know a few of u may have already read it... plus another one I just found on hello sunshine x since I love Jane Austen  ;)

1. The fault in our stars- John green

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning author John Green's most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.

2.Tuesday's with Morrie- Mitch Albom

Tuesday’s with Morrie is a memoir by American author Mitch Albom about a series of visits Albom made to his former sociology professor Morrie Schwartz, as Schwartz gradually dies of ALS. The book topped the New York Times Non-Fiction Bestsellers of the year

3.All the light we cannot see - Anthony doer

A beautiful, stunningly ambitious novel about a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II.

4.The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes

Set in a small Kentucky town in Depression-era America, the novel details the lives of five women who become traveling librarians, delivering books to the people of Kentucky.

5.Miss Austen - Gill hornby

A wonderfully original, emotionally complex novel that delves into why Cassandra burned a treasure trove of letters written by her sister, Jane Austen - an act of destruction that has troubled academics for centuries. 1840- twenty three years after the death of her famous sister Jane, Cassandra Austen returns to the village of Kintbury, and the home of her family's friends, the Fowles.She knows that, in some dusty corner of the sprawling vicarage, there is a cache of family letters which hold secrets she is desperate should not be revealed.As Cassandra recalls her youth and her relationship with her brilliant yet complex sister, she pieces together buried truths about Jane's history, and her own. And she faces a stark choice- should she act to protect Jane's reputation? Or leave the contents of the letters to go unguarded into posterity . Based on a literary mystery that has long puzzled biographers and academics, Miss Austen is a wonderfully original and emotionally complex novel about the loves and lives of Cassandra and Jane Austen

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [ki...]

• [2c...]

• [La...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Side note kits and Leann I have ordered the seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo and ship of brides from the library  :) I’m almost finished the Jane Austin society and I have to say I’ll be sad when I do coz I love this book

Ship of Brides was really good. Another good book was Tattoist of Austwitz very moving but did have happy ending. Glad you are feeling better Shayna. I've just had cancel break meant to be going with next April with friends to Holland as no idea if I'll be OK so feeling bit sad least only loose deposit x

Yes it sounds really good. I’ve read tattooist it’s excellent. Did u know about the sequel? Cilkas journey. Shame about trip but u will go when u are well enuf. Are u interested in any of the new books for the club? U should join in will be a good distraction it is for me x

Okay. I love it too. I read while my hubby watches footy. Like right now, although hard to concentrate while he’s yelling at the tv  :laugh:

One of our bedrooms is tv room for my hubby works really well! Not a book but just watched The Haunting of Bly Manor on Netfix if want something to escape into good story not too scary!

[a7...]

Yay ... love that series. 

I just finished watching My Octopus Teacher on Netflix.  Beautiful and amazing ... highly recommend it!

Xo  Kate 

I really enjoyed the Crown as didn't do modern history at school, we did Tudors and Stuart's all long time ago so quite educational. I'll look that one up.

I just finished watching My Octopus Teacher on Netflix.  Beautiful and amazing ... highly recommend it!

Xo  Kate

Yes I saw that too Kate, such a beautiful story. The octopus hugging him!  :'(

I really enjoyed the Crown as didn't do modern history at school, we did Tudors and Stuart's all long time ago so quite educational. I'll look that one up.

I love the crown too looking forward to that. I know a lot about the Tudor and Stuart dynasties too love all that

[a7...]

Xo  Kate

Yes I saw that too Kate, such a beautiful story. The octopus hugging him!  :'(

It was a bit of a tear-jerker but worth it ...

It was wasn’t it, I would have helped her more than he did. She was beautiful and deserved to be protected. Aren’t they clever with their disguises

[a7...]

Through this documentary, I came to appreciate the octopus in a way I would not have otherwise.  I was so surprised at how the octopus figured out the man filming was "safe" and then proceeded to warm up to him!  We are learning all the time how much smarter and social animals (and babies!) are.

Girls, what on earth did I ever do before Netflix????  LOLOL!

Ur so right. It’s so lovely to see that sort of interaction. Makes u want to find an octopus’s garden and make a new friend! Netflix is the worst. I’ve never watched so much tv in my life  ;D

So any thoughts on the next book? I’d like to add fault in our stars to the list, as lady had already, although I know a few of u may have already read it... plus another one I just found on hello sunshine x since I love Jane Austen  ;)

1. The fault in our stars- John green

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning author John Green's most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.

2.Tuesday's with Morrie- Mitch Albom

Tuesday’s with Morrie is a memoir by American author Mitch Albom about a series of visits Albom made to his former sociology professor Morrie Schwartz, as Schwartz gradually dies of ALS. The book topped the New York Times Non-Fiction Bestsellers of the year

3.All the light we cannot see - Anthony doer

A beautiful, stunningly ambitious novel about a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II.

4.The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes

Set in a small Kentucky town in Depression-era America, the novel details the lives of five women who become traveling librarians, delivering books to the people of Kentucky.

5.Miss Austen - Gill hornby

A wonderfully original, emotionally complex novel that delves into why Cassandra burned a treasure trove of letters written by her sister, Jane Austen - an act of destruction that has troubled academics for centuries. 1840- twenty three years after the death of her famous sister Jane, Cassandra Austen returns to the village of Kintbury, and the home of her family's friends, the Fowles.She knows that, in some dusty corner of the sprawling vicarage, there is a cache of family letters which hold secrets she is desperate should not be revealed.As Cassandra recalls her youth and her relationship with her brilliant yet complex sister, she pieces together buried truths about Jane's history, and her own. And she faces a stark choice- should she act to protect Jane's reputation? Or leave the contents of the letters to go unguarded into posterity . Based on a literary mystery that has long puzzled biographers and academics, Miss Austen is a wonderfully original and emotionally complex novel about the loves and lives of Cassandra and Jane Austen

I'm not sure what chapter I'm up to in Flowers in the Attic but I'm fairly close to the end. I am not sure where everyone is up to so I don't want to give so I'll try to be careful with my comments. I feel for these poor children & I am struggling to understand why the Mum would keep them locked up. The Mum comes with gifts every now & again which is just odd & the kids are starting to realise that what she is saying (giving hope/promises) does not match her actions. The kids don't want to believe that she doesn't care about them/that she is lying. Each chapter I am just wanting them to run away & be free! With regards to the next book I like options 4 & 5. I dont think I can read options 1,2 & 3 at the moment as I dont have the strength to deal with the content (although im sure they are wonderful books). My Aunty passed away from Motor Neurone Disease many years ago & I am not ready to read a book about ALS. I don't deal with war/violence all that well either. Sorry I'm just a little sensitive at the moment but with time I will work on my sensitivities but I'm just not quite ready yet.

Hey calm totally agree with ur thoughts on attic. So sad that a mother could chose her happiness over that of her children. I can’t imagine doing anything so cold. I feel bad going for a weekend away with my best friend...  I miss them too much when I’m not with them, so she is a cold fish!

I’m so sorry about ur Aunty x I have read it is quite a beautiful story but I am sure it is also quite sad. Ok so I’ve had a few buddies saying no dark/sad books now so think I’ll relook are suggestions. X I know sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming I feel that too xx stay tuned I’ll revise list

Ok Shay is getting on top of making a new list. The only problem with books is you don't know what it contains until you read it. A book may not be about ALS but may have a chapter in it with someone having it. The best we can do is try to choose carefully. One subject may be upsetting to me but not bother you. Get my point? For example, we're reading flowers in the attic. This book has children suffering, being neglected and abused mentally. I'm really sensitive when it comes to kids. but it's not too unbearable that I can't read it. So I'm saying we'll do our best to be careful but can't guarantee certain contents won't bother anyone. That's impossible to foresee. Just know it's not done on purpose. We want this to be enjoyable for everybody.  :thumbsup:

Definitely agree that what I find upsetting others may not as you mention lady. Usually things about children bother me too but this is fiction so easier to take in. Non fiction I definitely couldn’t read it. I think maybe an uplifting story or a romance even, but as were all book lovers, perhaps giver of stars might be a nice option. I’m open to other people’s suggestions tho.... anyone please offer your ideas for book club x

I definitely understand being sensitive to certain topics. I find books that deal with suicide and miscarriage to be really triggering so I avoid them if possible.

The Foundling is very good book. About girl had to give up her baby in 1700's  to the Foundling hospital. Comes back few years later to claim her to find someone claiming to be her took the baby already. Focus's on her search to find her with several twists.

I’m on page 250 now, chapter “A Taste of Heaven”. Is it just me, or are any of you getting a weird vibe from Chris and Cathy? I’m disgusted by the cruelty and neglect shown to these children by their mother and grandmother.