Book lovers club!📙 New members welcome💕

[Sh...]

I know a lot of studio held back in releasing movies coz they won’t make the money back. Shame we all need something to watch. I’ll try piccult. Yes grandmas rules are terrible. I’m half way thru the wrath of god

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [ki...]

• [2c...]

• [La...]

Top Posters In This Topic

So what chapter are you all on in flowers in the attic? I'm on chapter 7.

WHat do you guys think about the mother's behavior? Her excuses for not visiting or not visiting for long?

I’m not there yet! I’m up to after Corinne gets whipped and is telling the kids about their dad. I think the kids know their grandma means business now. Imagine growing up in an environment like that! No wonder the kids rebelled. I wouldn’t ask for money while putting my kids at risk ever like that! Creepy!!!! I’ll read more today x

So would I! Look what greed makes people do. Bugger that! I’m an amazing break dancer so I’d just get my boom box and a bit of cardboard and go busking to feed the kids.

Here are some possible books for the next club selection... I’ve had a couple of requests for nothing too dark, so here are some I think sound good, plus some that other buddies have suggested x i think my pics are 2, 4 and 5, but I am happy to read any so will go for the majority vote.

1.The handmaidens tale -Margaret Atwood

Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead, where women are prohibited from holding jobs, reading, and forming friendships. She serves in the household of the Commander and his wife, and under the new social order she has only one purpose: once a month, she must lie on her back and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are valued only if they are fertile. But Offred remembers the years before Gilead, when she was an independent woman who had a job, a family, and a name of her own. Now, her memories and her will to survive are acts of rebellion

2.Tuesday's with Morrie- Mitch Albom

Tuesday’s with Morrie is a memoir by American author Mitch Albom about a series of visits Albom made to his former sociology professor Morrie Schwartz, as Schwartz gradually dies of ALS. The book topped the New York Times Non-Fiction Bestsellers of 2000

3.The alchemist- Paulo coelho

Paulo Coelho's masterpiece tells the mystical story of Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who yearns to travel in search of a worldly treasure. His quest will lead him to riches far different—and far more satisfying—than he ever imagined. Santiago's journey teaches us about the essential wisdom of listening to our hearts, of recognizing opportunity and learning to read the omens strewn along life's path, and, most importantly, to follow our dreams.

4.All the light we cannot see - Anthony doer

A beautiful, stunningly ambitious novel about a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II.

5.The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes

Set in a small Kentucky town in Depression-era America, the novel details the lives of five women who become traveling librarians, delivering books to the people of Kentucky.

6.The Library Book by Susan Orlean

After moving to Los Angeles, Susan Orlean became fascinated by a mysterious local crime that has gone unsolved since it was carried out on the morning of 29 April 1986: who set fire to the Los Angeles Public Library, ultimately destroying more than 400,000 books, and perhaps even more perplexing, why?

They televised the Handmaids tale here, it was really miserable story quite depressing to watch don't if book any better. The one about the war sounds good. Did you see the film Chocolate, Joanne Harris wrote the book hers all quite good  slightly different.

What chapter are you guys on? I'm on chapter 10. Grandma has lost her dog gone mind! Are you enjoying the book?

Shay did you pick out the next book?

I don’t know what chapter I’m on, Corinne is going out to the movies with her friends ..... kids are decorating attic with flowers. I will listen to more shortly. What’s the chapter called that u are on? I’ll catch up. I’ll check in with calm to see where she is. Think it’s just the 3 of us coz others say too dark for them. Also I bought the fault in their stars yesterday so we can read it together too x no one has responded about new books yet! Except Leann x oh calm is interested in alchemist x

My next picks are from your list shay. Number 2 Tuesday with Morris and number 5 giver of stars and fault in our stars. Flowers in the attic isn't very dark. No murdering or bloody scenes. But it is sad. I'm on the chapter after decorating the attic. Chris has put a homemade ballet barre in the attic for Cathy

I like thrillers so I’m enjoying it, but maybe with some sxs can be a bit challenging to read scary/sad.

Yes I like those 3 too and all the light we cannot see.

Ok I’ll catch up to you x

I've just looked at my books I've got lined up to read and the Giver of stars is there. I like her books anyway Me Before you was really touching. Book I'm reading at moment bit dark called my lovely wife, meant be the new GoneGirl, just started watching new thing on Netflix called The haunting of Bly Mankr bit scary!

Just started my present book which is very dark but I'll read the stars book next. Got stinking sinus headache again this morning thanks anti depressants. Hiw you feeling now?

Ok. I’m good busy day again with kids trying not to focus to much on symptoms helps so I just stay busy x I’m half way thru the Jane Austin society it’s excellent

I'll add that to the list. Think having your kids around must help any sort distraction. Too much time on my hands especially as meeting up socially being very limited here. Going try go our lunch later enjoy rest of your weekend x

Always bit of an ordeal but guess got to try sometimes. Just ordered book someone recommended think it's based on ACT therapy meant help thoughts worth a try. The normal OCD ones don't help. Hope you manage to sleep X

What a fun idea! I’m currently reading book #87 for the year with a goal of 100 total. Furiously Happy is SO funny. I love Jenny Lawson.

Oh wow kits! Well done on 87 books! Tell us some of your favorites x apart from reading flowers in the attic I’m also reading the Jane Austin society and it’s really good x

Born a Crime by Trevor Noah is hilarious. I’ve read a lot of comedian’s books and his is by far the funniest. I really enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy. Where the Crawdads Sing. The Tattooist of Auschwitz. All the Light We Cannot See. The Feather Thief.

That ought to get you started.  :laugh::D:smitten:

I loved hunger games movies never read books think I will now! That’s another series I’ve found all at thrift shops for my daughter. (I like treasure hunting) I loved tattooist of aschwitz too, have u read cilkas journey? That’s the sequel planning on reading that too. Where the crawdads sing was a book I almost picked for book club! Sounds great. I’ve read so many books in the last couple of years it would be up around 60 I’d say. I love thrillers so I read a lot of them, I also love autobiographies and 2 I loved we’re life by Keith Richards and scar tissue by Anthony kiedis. I love the old bands x I also read a great book called daisy and the six by Taylor Jenkins Reid loosely based on Fleetwood Mac great book

Shayna, I loved Daisy Jones! The author wrote a book before that called the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, it was even better than Daisy Jones! I have a copy of Scar Tissue, but haven’t read it yet. I haven’t read Cilka’s Journey, but it’s on my list! We have these free little libraries all around town where people can put books they’ve read to share them with neighbors, I get so many books there.

Kits did u know Reece Witherspoons production company is making a Tv series Of daisy jones? I can’t wait! I love how much detail The author goes into, she really did her research about what clubs ect were on the strip during the era the book was set in. Wow I will definitely get her other book, sounds fantastic if better than daisy coz that’s hard to top! I get a lot of my books from the library but also op shops or thrift stores as u call them in us. I usually hand them back to thrift shop to sell again once I’m finished unless it’s one I want to collect. What a great idea having a community library I love that. I’ve given lots of my books to friends to read. They never come back but that’s ok. So nice to share our love of books with others

[7c...]

Ladies, I've got enough book recommendations from y'all on this thread to last me the rest of this year and start 2021!!  Thanks so much.

Kits, I love your 100 book goal for this year.  You are almost there.  Good going!

Kate    :thumbsup: