Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Book lovers club!📙 New members welcome💕

[Sh...]

I really love this idea as I read a lot of books.  The UK Aussie bride WW2 sounds excellent.

Has anyone tried the Libby app?  If you have a Library card you can download your books.  It’s not quite as many books from the real library but it’s FREE!

Hi guinea! Join in if u like we are only just getting started on giver of stars, love to have u!

Yes we have Libby or borrow box for our library system here in Australia, it’s a great service. Unfortunately as u said not all books available but a lot on there. I also have audible so I usually have a paperback and an audiobook on the go.

I’ve recently read the ruin by dervla mctiernan it was excellent a thriller. Also into the water by Paula Hawkins so good!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [ki...]

• [2c...]

• [La...]

Top Posters In This Topic

My grandmother was an avid reader and had custom bookshelves in her home to house all her books. I remember seeing books by Daphne du Maurier on her shelf as a child, but I never read any of them.

My grandmas used to read mills and boon  :laugh it wasn’t until I was a teen that I flicked thru one and realized how raunchy they were! My grandmas were naughty girls!

I’ve never heard of daphne du maurier but now I’ll have to look into reading her. Maybe we can do one of hers next round!

She's def not Mills & Boon lot of books have a dark twist. She lived in Cornwall lot of them set down there. One of the most rubbish book ever read was 50 Shades of Grey absolute tosh and really badly written.

Hahaha 50 shades!!! Yes my god she cannot write to save herself. I can honestly say I was not turned on by the gratuitous sex in that book, most of the time I was like..,, oh Jesus they’re at it again.  :laugh: But the carry on by my friends saying oh u have to read it is the reason I did. I read it while I was breastfeeding my newborn so definitely wasn’t as sexy as it was made out to be!

That's how I felt oh god they're at it again boring. She's made a fortune out of it. Can't imagine what the film was like so little actual story.

I watched the films too, pretty basic. I like the story idea I just think the execution was bad. Really poorly written. Every time her conscience looked down her nose out of her half moon glasses I squirmed. I don’t know if u remember that but it was something she used constantly throughout the books. Then she write gray so his perspective on the entire story. Please. We get it. They liked to have kinky sex. Insert eye roll

Only read first one that was enough. Can't believe so many people bought the books. Guess like me wanted to know what all fuss was about.She made an absolute fortune out of them .

I bought them  :-[  Then I sold them on eBay. They didn’t stay in the collection. No need to read them again! If someone else had written them with same story I think would have been much better. I’ve always wanted to write a book but think how do u know ur not plagiarizing someone else’s book from ur memory! I have some good stories  8)

[39...]

I bought them  :-[  Then I sold them on eBay. They didn’t stay in the collection. No need to read them again! If someone else had written them with same story I think would have been much better. I’ve always wanted to write a book but think how do u know ur not plagiarizing someone else’s book from ur memory! I have some good stories  8)

Shayna, November is nanowrimo (National Novel Writing Month) in the US.  This effort encourage people to write a book in November.  Here is their website.  I think the site provides some structure and tools to get started:

https://nanowrimo.org/

It not this year, maybe sometime!

Kate    :smitten:

Oh wow thanks Kate! I’ve thought about getting a cork board for ideas and using string to firm the story path... trouble is if I wrote a book I might get sued but I’d change the names of course. I think it would be such an amazing creative activity. So cool there is an organization and a month dedicated to authors! It’s such a labor of love tho and would probably take me a while to get it right. I always think about jk Rowling and how she was just writing stories for her kids and boom now she’s loaded. I could handle that  8)

Uh oh... I’m listening to Handmaid’s tail on audio, reading giver of stars and the library just called to say miss Austen has just arrived for me! I’m gunna be busy y’all!

Giver of stars  : :thumbsup: I'm starting it today! I'm so excited for us to read this.

Sorry I've been absent. Have not been doing well you guys. Didn't know about November Novel writing month. That's cool. Thx kits. Happy reading everyone. How many chapters before we discuss them?

Kate is still waiting on her copy, not sure about Ann, leann has started. Maybe we’ll just do first 3 over the coming days and give Kate a chance to catch up x sending u a big hug lady. Kits I’ll have to read them they sound great x I’ve just started miss Austen. I know I’m already hooked so I’ll have to split my time between books

Still struggling bit with book about 4 chapters in getting bit more interesting. Is Miss Austen about Jane Austen ? Off to bed read a bit more, won't comment on it if you guys haven't started it yet.

Yes it’s about her sister Cassandra getting rid of the letters Jane wrote to her to protect her reputation... so far it’s awesome

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/daisy-edgar-jones-where-the-crawdads-sing-1234812534/

Has anyone read normal people by sally Rooney? Also a series and the actress who played Marianne has been cast in Reece Witherspoon production of crawdads. Think this will be my next audiobook.

Also a great book just made into series... little fires everywhere. Again Reece Witherspoon.

Gillian Flynn (gone girl) sharp things now a series and I Read her book dark places so scary but fantastic!

Yes! Little Fires Everywhere is excellent. Everything I Never Said was also very good (same author). I have Gone Girl but haven’t read it, I’ve read the other two you mentioned though!

[39...]

Ladies, I've requested Ship of Brides from my library but there are quite a few people ahead of me.  Go ahead and start the book and I'll catch up when I get it if I can.

Kate    :smitten: