Medication Induced Setback Support

[Mu...]

I made it through yesterday with the help of good friends who understand this pain. They all tell me I will heal even if I can't feel it.

I'm sleeping a bit, enough to keep me going and I rest a lot.

One thing that helped me though withdrawal the last time was knowing that I didn't have to believe I would heal in order to heal. Because I was very doubtful it would happen and it did. 

Still looking for relief and hope.

Had a window yesterday afternoon after waking up flat in the morning.

Then I attended a support group that was awful and it triggered my nervous system. I was adrenalized and today has been hard again.

Holding onto the fact that I had a window and that is a sign of healing.

Hi everyone, I'm sorry I don't have better news, it's been 9 months since my setback and I still have bad broken sleep (3-6 hours most nights) with vivid dreams and I'm still having hypnic jerks almost nightly (they have reduced in intensity), looping songs in my head and parasthesia (also reduced in intensity) but the insomnia is so bad and I feel wired 24/7. I'm not taking anything and just waiting it out and don't understand why I'm doing so badly and I am only seeing minimal improvements 9 months out.

Will I be stuck this way forever?

So sorry you are doing badly. These covid jabs are posion. I would have to be force injected before I got that. Its not just benzo ppl but many nornal ppl are having terrible immune reactions and myocarditis etc. I had a setback from stress and it turned out to be like another CT. I was waiting for it to pass but in the end accepteď it was a severe setback and was back to square 1.

Hi everyone, I'm sorry I don't have better news, it's been 9 months since my setback and I still have bad broken sleep (3-6 hours most nights) with vivid dreams and I'm still having hypnic jerks almost nightly (they have reduced in intensity), looping songs in my head and parasthesia (also reduced in intensity) but the insomnia is so bad and I feel wired 24/7. I'm not taking anything and just waiting it out and don't understand why I'm doing so badly and I am only seeing minimal improvements 9 months out.

Will I be stuck this way forever?

From what i have read you won't be stuck there forever. I feel the same way you do but am much earlier kn the process. I'm sorry we both are in this position.

I have taken magnesium glycinate throughout all my tapers and am using it now to get some sleep.  I never had an issue with it but it is a personal choice. 

I am rooting for us all to get relief. 

Hi everyone I haven’t been on here for awhile. I feel a lot better after my setback it’s now been just over two years. I am really struggling with perimenopause symptoms like severely broken sleep and crazy fatigue spells that come and go. Also night sweats and mood changes throughout the month. As well as histamine flares around ovulation. I wonder if anyone here has heard of women being set back by bioidentical HRT? I wish so badly to try this to see if it’ll help the peri but of course can’t risk a setback. Thanks!

So sorry you are doing badly. These covid jabs are posion. I would have to be force injected before I got that. Its not just benzo ppl but many nornal ppl are having terrible immune reactions and myocarditis etc. I had a setback from stress and it turned out to be like another CT. I was waiting for it to pass but in the end accepteď it was a severe setback and was back to square 1.

How are you doing now? Did your stress setback pass?

Hi everyone I haven’t been on here for awhile. I feel a lot better after my setback it’s now been just over two years. I am really struggling with perimenopause symptoms like severely broken sleep and crazy fatigue spells that come and go. Also night sweats and mood changes throughout the month. As well as histamine flares around ovulation. I wonder if anyone here has heard of women being set back by bioidentical HRT? I wish so badly to try this to see if it’ll help the peri but of course can’t risk a setback. Thanks!

I wish I knew this answer. I did bioidentical progesterone during menopause and made the mistake of coming of it abruptly, which created a bad reaction. At the end of oneof my tapers.

This is only my opinion but since you are well after your set back, which is great to hear by the way, would you consider something else. Perhaps in the homeopathic world? Only a mild suggestion.

As someone on the horrors of a setback due to surgery, you don't want to visit this place again.

I believe there is a hormone/menopause group on this site.

Wishing you the best

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wonderwoman, I'm glad to hear that you're doing better after 2 years. I have heard of buddies being setback by bio identical hormones. In fact I'm speaking to one person now. I understand that you are trying to seek relief for peri menopause symptoms but you're also afraid of being setback. It really feels like we can't win.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same question. Too afraid to try BHRT but need to do something.  My saliva tests show I’m low on progesterone, DHEA and estradiol. I tried a very low dose of DHEA that my functional doctor recommended but I feel it’s making me jittery after 2 months so I will have to wean off. What a hot mess post menopause has become for me.

• 2 weeks later...

6 days ago i bought OTC Lithium Orotate 5mg in pharmacy.

For first 3 days I felt nothing. On day 4 I felt my mood slightly improved and my anxiety diminished a bit. Yesterday on day 5 i felt like background anxiety is building up because it was kept down for a day or two by that supplement. And then yesterday evening all hell broke lose and anxiety exploded. I never felt such thing,such strong anxiety. It is like standing on the edge of the cliff but multiple that with 1000. Chest pain,racing heart,like being stuck in a panic attack. For the first time in my wd I couldnt sleep and was on a verge of going to ER. Today is no better,some of the acute symptoms like irritability and total memory loss came back

Is it possible I messed everything up? Is it possible that I am not even back to square one but back to square -5?

I thought i was making some progress last couple of months with finally having waves and windows and it would be devastating to lose that all just because of one supplement that was at lowest possible dose.

Is it possible that I am back in acute and will have to start my journey all over again?

Anyone had similar experience?

Please,i am desperate,i need to know what to expect honestly

Hi weekend

Yes it feels like your at a negative 5. For some people they bounce back from the worst in months. How long it takes varies. And feels like starting over. For some it can take longer.

I lost sleep to a setback as well. In fact got horrible panic and fear that could only be chemically induced. It was no natural fear. For me it was about 3 weeks? Its hard to remember everything is a blur. But the worst of it left and I was left with your typical withdrawal anxiety.

Right now you are sensitive, avoid antibiotics, meds, supplements and steroids (even topical) Some symptoms will drop off as you go.

Make it day by day. It will fade or symptoms will drop. Yes you can survive this. Yes it is hell. You just need to go one step at a time.

Weekend,

I couldn't agree more with Thatone. One thing I have to add is that you didn't take away all of your healing. The only thing that can do that is if you go back on a Benzo. You may feel terrible right now but it will pass.

• 5 weeks later...
The mental symptoms were my absolute worst. I had so many of them. It was bad, I was close to giving up. They are better. I think I have 2 left. I know people who have seen improvements with akathisia after a set back. I was told sitting in a bath as hot as you can tolerate safely helps momentarily for physical akathisia. A heavy weighted blanket is also said to help.

Bicycle,

My AB setback also gave me bad aka that I NEVER had had before. It passed within a month for me but I also only took a few doses of my oral AB which I'm sure plays into the reaction for each individual. It will pass, you will let through this!!! I'm so sorry you are suffering!!

I could use some emotional support.

I'm in a setback due to surgery and anesthesia. This threw me into acute and I've had symptoms I never had while tapering.

Its been 4 months and I definitely have made progress from lying in bed with my eyes covered and earplugs in to block lit the light and sound. Now I'm up and around and can sometimes watch a little TV or read.

My sleep is very bad and I ended up having to try two sleep meds to get sleep. I'm currently on Remeron/Mirtazapine and it doesnt work. I've had to start a slow taper even while in this setback. My insomnia, which started with the setback is very hard. 

I also have depression, anxiety (didn't have this while tapering) agoraphobia and a lot of fear there I won't heal. I don't want to go on an antidepressant but fear that I will have to in order to recover.

Just looking to connect again with others.

Hey Final healing.  I am so sorry that you were setback during surgery.  These symptoms are difficult without having to recover from surgery.  They must be twice as hard while recovering.  4 months is a major milestone.  Congrats on making it this far!

I too was setback by medication.  Mine was corticosteroids and I can attest that a setback from steriods is 10x as hard as the first withdrawal from benzo’s.  I dont know how I survived but I did.  My recovery has been long at about 11 months now but I can see some progress.  I would say I am about 30% healed but it is better for sure.  I can finally sleep just enough to keep me sane.

I can assure you that you will heal.  It may be slow.  Slower than you want!  BUT you will heal.  I have see so many folks on here with major setbacks walk away from BB to enjoy life again.  We will do the same.  I am sure of it!

Bicycle, I am sorry you are struggling so much. My aka was worse in the beginning. It is somewhat better but there are times when it is more challenging.

Final healing, I am so sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time.

I too am in setback. The first in July from hormones and the second in September from an AB. The worst part is sleep. 2 hours a night at most. In desperation I tried mirtazapine again, didn’t work this time. Was then given Gabapentin. Am now stuck and trying to taper to get off. HORRIBLE. I struggle to watch a movie, read a book or listen to music. I spent a lot of time on the couch with hunting headphones on with a blanket over my head to minimize stimulation as much as possible. My ability to handle even the least amount of stress is non existent. I have a fear of being alone. The mental symptoms are much worse than during my tapers. My brain keeps telling me I am not going to make it. And the fear and anxiety, oh gosh!

I had no idea that a setback was even a possibility. I went to urgent care, er twice, my pdoc and even a nuero consult and everyone kept telling me it was in my head.

I hate that any of us have to be going through this but it is consoling to see other people experiencing the same things. I truly thought I was broken.

Hey Final healing.  I am so sorry that you were setback during surgery.  These symptoms are difficult without having to recover from surgery.  They must be twice as hard while recovering.  4 months is a major milestone.  Congrats on making it this far!

I too was setback by medication.  Mine was corticosteroids and I can attest that a setback from steriods is 10x as hard as the first withdrawal from benzo’s.  I dont know how I survived but I did.  My recovery has been long at about 11 months now but I can see some progress.  I would say I am about 30% healed but it is better for sure.  I can finally sleep just enough to keep me sane.

I can assure you that you will heal.  It may be slow.  Slower than you want!  BUT you will heal.  I have see so many folks on here with major setbacks walk away from BB to enjoy life again.  We will do the same.  I am sure of it!

Thank you so much.  I need to know that people help.

Its been a hard day. Nor sleep again and I had to take an additional sleep medication, which didn't work.

I'm so scared about all of this and having a place to share it is good.

Would you say that Valerian is a no no would recovering?

Bicycle, I am sorry you are struggling so much. My aka was worse in the beginning. It is somewhat better but there are times when it is more challenging.

Final healing, I am so sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time.

I too am in setback. The first in July from hormones and the second in September from an AB. The worst part is sleep. 2 hours a night at most. In desperation I tried mirtazapine again, didn’t work this time. Was then given Gabapentin. Am now stuck and trying to taper to get off. HORRIBLE. I struggle to watch a movie, read a book or listen to music. I spent a lot of time on the couch with hunting headphones on with a blanket over my head to minimize stimulation as much as possible. My ability to handle even the least amount of stress is non existent. I have a fear of being alone. The mental symptoms are much worse than during my tapers. My brain keeps telling me I am not going to make it. And the fear and anxiety, oh gosh!

I had no idea that a setback was even a possibility. I went to urgent care, er twice, my pdoc and even a nuero consult and everyone kept telling me it was in my head.

I hate that any of us have to be going through this but it is consoling to see other people experiencing the same things. I truly thought I was broken.

I empathize so much. I wore a mask and earplugs the first two months. I can now handle light more. .

The emotional fear is horrible. My brain tells me every day I'm not going to make it. I really relate.

And yes, being stuck on a med, for me Mirtazapine, which doesn't help is so hard. I to am trying to taper it during this setback.

Are you just in Gabapentin or Mirt as well? I see you tapered Mirt before.

Maybe we can support each other as we try to taper these meds during our setbacks?

Final healing,

Of course!! We all need all the support we can get through this. I am currently only on the Gabapentin. The mirtazapine gave me RLS as soon as I took the first dose. I stopped it right away. Wish I had done the same with the Gabapentin.

I keep wondering if I am asking to much of my body to taper while still in setback. I just feel so poorly on the Gabapentin.

Hope you and bicycle are able to get some sleep.

-Committed

I feel the same way.  I know I'm asking too much of my body but the Mirt is actually keeping me awake. 

I've never been on Gabapentin so I'm not familiar with its effects.

Final healing

I hope I’m posting in the right place. What can you do if you need an antibiotic for an infection? So scary. My son, 27 years old, is the one going through withdrawal recovery. He’s 7 months out and suffering maybe 80% of the way it was in the beginning. He absolutely couldn’t handle going back to square one. But when you need an antibiotic, you have to take it, right?