Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The Klonopin Klub#2

[ma...]

Esperanza,

If you’ve taken clonazepam for 17 years and noticed that problems started soon after taking it and then got worse over the years of taking it, it could have been tolerance withdrawl.

That would mean that you became tolerant to the drug, and then soon needed more of it to remain functional. Another possibility is that the drug just didn’t agree with your system from the start of taking it. This kind of situation does also happen to people due to the side effects of the drug.

When we discuss benzos here on BB, I’ve noticed that most people don’t talk about the side effects of these drugs. But like any other drug, benzos do have side effects. There’s actually quite a few of them.

Several years back, I googled “clonazepam side effects” and the first response to my “google” was a huge list from the Mayo Clinic. I printed that list off from my computer and still have it. Today I’ve just done that again on google, and the results from the Mayo Clinic are still there, but further down the list of sites. The list from the site Healthline came up first and didn’t have a list of side effects nearly as extensive, but further down, Drugs.com had that same extensive list as the Mayo Clinic.

You might want to take a look at a list like this to see if your use of clonazepam was problematic right from the beginning. I’m having a bit of trouble understanding how much you took over the course of the 17 years and I did read your posting history. Nevertheless, not everyone can feel ok on this drug so if you didn’t, then you didn’t. And taking it in varying doses over 17 years can cause problems also.

So now this doctor of yours is tapering you at @10% of your current dose each week if I understand correctly. In my opinion, that’s way too quick for a taper. This drug has a half life that is long enough to taper from, but I think you should slow this down. All these problems are being amplified by tapering so quickly I think. And updosing may or may not work to help you feel better. I would just say to hold and see if things settle down. I wouldn’t let this doctor of yours determine what you should do.

Thank you Intend, yes, I believe it created anxiety and caused full blown depression. I also noticed a lack of energy, focus, motivation, developed a sense of agoraphobia. My body temperature was unstable. I was sweating more than usual. I had more sinus infections, low grade fevers with no cause, brain fog, blurred vision, light and sound sensitivity, thyroid disease, all these things occurred before taper.  I tried to explain that I had never felt this kind of anxiety(like a deer in headlights). I was experiencing bouts of depression where I could not make myself get out of bed.  These depressions were coming closer and closer together. I was switched to different antidepressants because I was diagnosed as getting worse and worse. I never was debilitated by depression prior to 1995 when I sought treatment for my add, which at mid life was getting harder to compensate for as I had done in my youth. During the interview I revealed that I was a worrier(I had suffered the loss of my father and nephew in fatal car crashes several years prior. With my kids in their teens I was always worried when they were out). It was suggested that I was depressed, I had a “chemical imbalance” and I should consider an SSRI.  I read the propaganda, felt falsely reassured that it was safe and got on that merry go round.  When you go off, you get depressed, so you think you need it. As for the klonopin, I had to undergo a very painful medical test. I had had this done before and I was very agitated. I asked for 1 tranquilizer to help me get through it.  I was told that Valium was terrible but this new stuff called klonopin was very safe and I could take a low dose. It helped me stay calm and I asked if I could take it regularly to not be such a over reactive person, always expecting something bad to happen. Instead of suggesting therapy(I have worked through my panic issues and they are very manageable now), I was told I could take a low dose(1-1/2 mg. Which is not low but sounds it) but I would become dependent and would have to wean off before old age as it might cause falls.  I was not told what weaning off meant. Many drugs have to be tapered and do not cause great harm in that process. I reported all the things that should have been a red flag. When I finally discovered myself that it was the klonopin, I thought my doctor would be on board. At last, an answer.  Tolerance withdrawal does not exist in the DSM so it is not real. I need a higher dose. I said no. At my last visit, it was very clear that my request for a slower taper than the 6 weeks I had insisted on(and told was ridiculous), that although he would comply with my request, it was something very outlandish and the doctors in the department had laughed at such a thing.  I know guilt when I see it. So that’s my story and thank you for letting me tell it. You are so kind, Esperanza

Thank you Intend, yes, I believe it created anxiety and caused full blown depression. I also noticed a lack of energy, focus, motivation, developed a sense of agoraphobia. My body temperature was unstable. I was sweating more than usual. I had more sinus infections, low grade fevers with no cause, brain fog, blurred vision, light and sound sensitivity, thyroid disease, all these things occurred before taper.  I tried to explain that I had never felt this kind of anxiety(like a deer in headlights). I was experiencing bouts of depression where I could not make myself get out of bed.  These depressions were coming closer and closer together. I was switched to different antidepressants because I was diagnosed as getting worse and worse. I never was debilitated by depression prior to 1995 when I sought treatment for my add, which at mid life was getting harder to compensate for as I had done in my youth. During the interview I revealed that I was a worrier(I had suffered the loss of my father and nephew in fatal car crashes several years prior. With my kids in their teens I was always worried when they were out). It was suggested that I was depressed, I had a “chemical imbalance” and I should consider an SSRI.  I read the propaganda, felt falsely reassured that it was safe and got on that merry go round.  When you go off, you get depressed, so you think you need it. As for the klonopin, I had to undergo a very painful medical test. I had had this done before and I was very agitated. I asked for 1 tranquilizer to help me get through it.  I was told that Valium was terrible but this new stuff called klonopin was very safe and I could take a low dose. It helped me stay calm and I asked if I could take it regularly to not be such a over reactive person, always expecting something bad to happen. Instead of suggesting therapy(I have worked through my panic issues and they are very manageable now), I was told I could take a low dose(1-1/2 mg. Which is not low but sounds it) but I would become dependent and would have to wean off before old age as it might cause falls.  I was not told what weaning off meant. Many drugs have to be tapered and do not cause great harm in that process. I reported all the things that should have been a red flag. When I finally discovered myself that it was the klonopin, I thought my doctor would be on board. At last, an answer.  Tolerance withdrawal does not exist in the DSM so it is not real. I need a higher dose. I said no. At my last visit, it was very clear that my request for a slower taper than the 6 weeks I had insisted on(and told was ridiculous), that although he would comply with my request, it was something very outlandish and the doctors in the department had laughed at such a thing.  I know guilt when I see it. So that’s my story and thank you for letting me tell it. You are so kind, Esperanza

Sorry you find yourself in this situation like so many of us. I have been on klonopin for almost twenty years (for first many years .5 mg, off and on no problem, more recently, was on 1 mg daily and that is the dose I am weaning off of now).

It's hard with long term use at this type of dosage. Hopefully you have a doctor who will prescribe what you need to get off this stuff (or stay on, if that is what you decide).

hey all,

Esperanza sorry you are having such a difficult time.

I only have 4 more pills to hold at my current dose unless I want to add more liquid... so I think in 5 days I'll start tapering down again. I think not the microtaper this time that I tried first time last month. Going back to cut and hold. Going to try 5.8% which is the drop for the next 30 compounded capsules that I already have if I don't add liquid (lowest percentage cut so far) and hold for 30 days and hope that isn't horrible. I've been having GI problems last few days with upset stomach. Hoping that will go away. But still made it out with husband and friend to see Ant Man and The Wasp yesterday even though I wasn't feeling well the whole time.

I'm also working on moving my middle of night dose to early morning and pushing back the afternoon (12 hours apart) as I move the morning. 3:40am this morning when I woke up naturally but won't take before 4am tonight... I actually have a timer with a small red light that I have go on across the room such that I have to sit up in bed to see it. This morning it was set at 3 am... tonight I'll set it at 4 am. If I see the light then I know it's after that time without looking at the clock. If it's still dark I lie back down. Not sleeping great but that was true before I started klonopin.

Keep going back and forth whether should just drop half way for two weeks and then the other half but think I want to see if the 5.8% is doable or not. If so then longer hold after will probably be better.

I think we all just find out the rough way how this pills cause trouble for us. I did some PRN dosing myself with generic X way back. Never had a problem.

Crossed to generic K to get off X and had trouble from the get go. K just doesn’t like me and it made feel awful from the start. I’ve wanted off for years now. Actually wanted off the X too. Why in the world take a medication if you don’t think you need it anyway?

Yes, I do think we need medications for numerous ailments, but not for any and every thing.

Now I’m seriously uncomfortable with this entire K situation. Physically, mentally, and practically. Doing my best to get off. It’s just whatever I can do. Thank goodness for my doc. Good guy. I’d be out of my mind right now otherwise.

Esperanza, sounds like we stepped into the same trap here. Hope we can keep talking.

NJ, strange how hard we have to fight and struggle to get off this stuff. Let’s us know about your job. I have a ton of family who live in Montclair, New Jersey. The whole family immigrated from Ireland starting in 1854. Well, I know it’s a big decisive weekend for you. Guess I’m trailing off here. Trying hard to get caught up on errands and such this weekend. I’m a pill counter, so I’m going to start out counting pills. Did some online banking stuff yesterday. Just can’t believe how fast I get lost now cause these pills make like a real nut and I’m not a nut.

Nothing like a benzo taper to put a person at their best.

Intend,

I know Montclair well, worked there for several years (and also my medical marijuana dispensary is there, it is a very progressive community!).

I will try to speak with them tomorrow to finalize details of the new job. It will be a 10 percent raise and my commuting time will drop from about an hour each way to a half hour each way. I feel like I am a mess with anxiety about changing jobs again, it will be twice in less than six months, but I really feel this will be a better fit for my life. The new job I took, it has been a bit of a mess since I started, I now have two bosses, one I don't like, and the commute with being so nauseous all the time is really hard for me. The anxiety of knowing I have to drive two hours on no sleep is overwhelming where I am. And with commuting costs it ends up being a pay cut for me.

But I admit, I AM A MESS TODAY. Which makes thinking of more change really overwhelming. But for a long time now I have really felt that I need a break. I think we all feel that way. And this job literally fell into my lap, which is ironic because I looked so hard and long for months before I took the job I have now. I must have interviewed at 10 places! And this one I just got a call one day about from the company, who got my name from someplace else.

So I am feeling this is my break. I think I mentioned somewhere my therapist told me this would be a gift from God if I received this job. I am not a religious person, but finally making the salary I have wanted to for years in a job that will not be crazy stressful, I think she may be right.

Thanks for checking in on me. I hope that you are doing okay. I like you have been trying to get off these drugs for years now, and it's hard to say that and never feel like I am making much progress. I am beginning to wonder if the klonopin is what is making me sick, as I dose at night and then it is after that/in the morning when the nausea is at its worst.

Hope everyone else is doing okay.

NJ,

It’s definitely possible that its the K. Like I said, I crossed over to it from X, and with 2 weeks of that my voice changed dramatically. My then Pdoc noticed this and asked me about it, and when I told it’s the benzo, she just got exasperated and shook her head. Then she asked if I’d tried any speech therapy.

I told her I’d had a ton of speech therapy because I had. With my rare disease and all those surgeries, one of the first things the docs do is to test your voice. And even before and during all those less invasive surgeries, I had continuous speech therapy.

After that cross over to K, I got depression and nausea. Neither one lasted long, but I still get them both intermittently. It’s a given here that I’m not adjuster to different generic brands, but in spite of that, what’s going on now with me?

Occasional nausea and depression.

Burning skin on my legs

Almost total loss of my voice (not a changed voice, but a loss of a voice)

Laryngeal spasm that is extremely painful

Dental pain on the left side of my face

Vision problems where I get sx like I have allergies

Fatigue and some insomnia (I wake up after 2 hours of sleep and can feel that cortisol rush)

Confusion about doing the silliest of things

And all this “stuff” started before tapering. Tapering has made it so much worse. I’ll get the nausea even more often with tapering. And this taper is super small and slow.

I generally feel better at night myself, and this stuff begins again in the morning. I take my doses 2 times per day, and if I do have a decent whisper of a voice, it’s gone once I take that morning dose.

If you look at that list of clonazepam side effects, I think you might notice that your problems may have also started when you first took K. I know mine did. Nothing surprises me about this drug.

I’m positive it has made me sick from the first time I took it.

But you’ll get off, and I think your sx will go away.

The only member here that I’ve ever read talk about these side effects was kgirl10. I just truly believe that we have to realize it’s not just w/d effects; it side effects also.

Let’s us know about your job. That may help also. These outside stressors definitely contribute to how we’re feeling.

NJ,

It’s definitely possible that its the K. Like I said, I crossed over to it from X, and with 2 weeks of that my voice changed dramatically. My then Pdoc noticed this and asked me about it, and when I told it’s the benzo, she just got exasperated and shook her head. Then she asked if I’d tried any speech therapy.

I told her I’d had a ton of speech therapy because I had. With my rare disease and all those surgeries, one of the first things the docs do is to test your voice. And even before and during all those less invasive surgeries, I had continuous speech therapy.

After that cross over to K, I got depression and nausea. Neither one lasted long, but I still get them both intermittently. It’s a given here that I’m not adjuster to different generic brands, but in spite of that, what’s going on now with me?

Occasional nausea and depression.

Burning skin on my legs

Almost total loss of my voice (not a changed voice, but a loss of a voice)

Laryngeal spasm that is extremely painful

Dental pain on the left side of my face

Vision problems where I get sx like I have allergies

Fatigue and some insomnia (I wake up after 2 hours of sleep and can feel that cortisol rush)

Confusion about doing the silliest of things

And all this “stuff” started before tapering. Tapering has made it so much worse. I’ll get the nausea even more often with tapering. And this taper is super small and slow.

I generally feel better at night myself, and this stuff begins again in the morning. I take my doses 2 times per day, and if I do have a decent whisper of a voice, it’s gone once I take that morning dose.

If you look at that list of clonazepam side effects, I think you might notice that your problems may have also started when you first took K. I know mine did. Nothing surprises me about this drug.

I’m positive it has made me sick from the first time I took it.

But you’ll get off, and I think your sx will go away.

The only member here that I’ve ever read talk about these side effects was kgirl10. I just truly believe that we have to realize it’s not just w/d effects; it side effects also.

Let’s us know about your job. That may help also. These outside stressors definitely contribute to how we’re feeling.

Yes, kgirl10 said her symptoms got better when she was lower than off K.

For me, I really had no symptoms before tapering. I just realized how horrifically addicted I was to this medicine, and decided to get off (plus it no longer helped with sleep, the original reason for starting it).

The best years of my life were on klonopin and lexapro. I sometimes wonder if I should have just gone up in dose instead of trying to get off. I don't even have any cog fog or memory issues--I have been asked if I have a photographic memory, as my memory is still excellent, and I am almost 50. But maybe now the K is turning on me, or my body is just tired of the slow taper and wants me off. I have updosed/held and really made no progress at all in months. I now may continue to hold through mid-September with another job change (would start in mid-August), then I will try to taper as aggressively as I can. Will lean on my medical marijuana for help if need be. Still figuring that part of the equation in terms of what dose works best.

I also wonder if periomenopause is causing the issues with nausea. I have read that this can cause issues. All my friends seem to be a mess right now with different things.

I am sorry you are having so many symptoms and have so many challenges. I hope you get some relief and can find some consistency with a generic.

NJ,

I do think premenopause does have a lot to do with so many things. These particular hormones in general cause women problems w/o benzos involved.

I remember asking my ENT doc after diagnosis with idiopathic subglottic stenosis if menopause was related in any way. He said he wasn’t sure, but there could be some hormonal component because most cases occur in women. And if you look it up on the internet, there are several sites that explain it, but there is one by NORD (National Organization of Rare Disorders) where Alexander Gelbhart MD from Vanderbilt University explains it and describes the demographic as being 98% women, average age @50, Caucasian with Northern European background. I pretty much fit that demographic although I started to notice signs of something going wrong several years before diagnosis.

I also felt great on xanax: highly productive, no confusion whatsoever, just felt great. I only wanted off myself because I had vaguely heard the name and wondered what it was, did a small amount of research on internet and thought “I might need to get off this stuff.” I was sleeping fine, had super stressful job as therapist, but overall did great. Then I went to my oldest daughters fundraiser and won my first iPad. That was the big win of the night so it was surprising considering it was me. By then I was just literally chipping pieces off doses of X here and there and noticing small effects only.

But wanting to use that iPad, I looked up benzos and hit some website that listed some w/d sx that barely matched what I’d noticed, and then I connected dots. I did read about using Valium to get off, called my pdoc and spoke with her assistant who handled a lot of the refills and office errands. I didn’t even talk about getting off, but in hindsight, I speculated she thought I could be experiencing tolerance withdrawl. I did mention Valium, and she said it was way too addictive, and clonazepam would be better. So she just called in a Rx for it, and that’s where the trouble started for me.

Well we all have our different situations, and every morning I just tell myself, I have to get off this stuff cause it is and has been making me sicker and sicker day by day. And as I said before, tapering has made it feel worse.

I took a look at the LHSP group, and they were saying how w/d sx wax and wane as the taper goes along. I can sure agree with that.

NJ,

I do think premenopause does have a lot to do with so many things. These particular hormones in general cause women problems w/o benzos involved.

I remember asking my ENT doc after diagnosis with idiopathic subglottic stenosis if menopause was related in any way. He said he wasn’t sure, but there could be some hormonal component because most cases occur in women. And if you look it up on the internet, there are several sites that explain it, but there is one by NORD (National Organization of Rare Disorders) where Alexander Gelbhart MD from Vanderbilt University explains it and describes the demographic as being 98% women, average age @50, Caucasian with Northern European background. I pretty much fit that demographic although I started to notice signs of something going wrong several years before diagnosis.

I also felt great on xanax: highly productive, no confusion whatsoever, just felt great. I only wanted off myself because I had vaguely heard the name and wondered what it was, did a small amount of research on internet and thought “I might need to get off this stuff.” I was sleeping fine, had super stressful job as therapist, but overall did great. Then I went to my oldest daughters fundraiser and won my first iPad. That was the big win of the night so it was surprising considering it was me. By then I was just literally chipping pieces off doses of X here and there and noticing small effects only.

But wanting to use that iPad, I looked up benzos and hit some website that listed some w/d sx that barely matched what I’d noticed, and then I connected dots. I did read about using Valium to get off, called my pdoc and spoke with her assistant who handled a lot of the refills and office errands. I didn’t even talk about getting off, but in hindsight, I speculated she thought I could be experiencing tolerance withdrawl. I did mention Valium, and she said it was way too addictive, and clonazepam would be better. So she just called in a Rx for it, and that’s where the trouble started for me.

Well we all have our different situations, and every morning I just tell myself, I have to get off this stuff cause it is and has been making me sicker and sicker day by day. And as I said before, tapering has made it feel worse.

I took a look at the LHSP group, and they were saying how w/d sx wax and wane as the taper goes along. I can sure agree with that.

It seems that those of us on klonopin are having a tougher time getting off than those on valium. It seems that way. It's no fun for anyone though, I realize that.

I just accepted that job! Again! Totally crazy but I keep telling myself it is going to be okay.

NJ,

Hooray for you on the job! I’m pretty sure that’s going to make life easier for you. Closer to home, no crossing into NYC, not so crazy really when you consider everything. Kind of a good thing that just fell in your lap when you needed it.

Yes, this K thing is rough for sure. I do often wonder if Valium would be better. But then I read of people here having problems also. I think I’d have to do a long cross and a long hold before tapering, and then do liquid micro cuts from the very start of tapering it. I could be wrong about all of this, but I’ve learned how my brain works with benzos, and I just feel like cutting it any other way as in a cut pieces off type way might give me trouble. Just a feeling I have.

And I don’t want to lose more time than I’ve already lost or spent. I feel like I’ve been doing this forever. It’s actually been about 6.5 years trying to get off K, but it’s still upsetting. Ive constantly had to hold and that takes time.

Now it’s time for you to feel good about the job. You’re on a low dose of K. Your life could get way better for you because of those two things.

NJ,

It seems that those of us on klonopin are having a tougher time getting off than those on valium. It seems that way. It's no fun for anyone though, I realize that.

I just accepted that job! Again! Totally crazy but I keep telling myself it is going to be okay.

I wish you the best in your new job - and by that I mean "low anxiety" work :angel:

Thanks for all the congratulations. I am actually feeling proud of myself today. I found a new job without looking, after looking and looking very hard and then settling on something that wasn't the right fit. I realize my salary has increased 50 percent in four years, two of which have been tapering. I also had a good visit with my gastro today, and he agreed to do some further testing because being nauseous every day for six months is unusual even for me with this crazy taper.

The anxious part of me is afraid something is going to go wrong now ....

NJ,

Just wait and see. I found a post from a benzo buddie that is very knowledgeable.

“GABA is an important part of the gut’s nervous system. (Our guts have their own nervous system which is large and complex and is affected by psychiatric medications that work on the CNS.)

Digestive problems of various sorts are common with benzo use and withdrawl. You can probably find dozens and dozens of threads on this subject if you search back.

You’re not crazy. There are definitely GABA receptors in your digestive tract. Tons of them.”

This is from prhiannon, a benzo buddie in an archived post.

NJ,

Hope this day is working out well for you. I’m not sure when the new job starts, but Im thinking you’re working right now. You have a very busy life.

Yesterday, my hubby had me running him around back and forth to Home Depot because of one of our sprinkler lines. It’s hard to juggle all the responsibilities of regular life with benzo w/d.

Just wanted to make sure you understood my post yesterday. I know you’re anxious about your new job, and also about the nausea you feel.

So my post was intended to address the nausea issues and assure you that nausea is a rather common part of withdrawl from benzos. I suppose I could have used Wikipedia, but I did find that post and used that instead. I just looked at Wikipedia and the nausea is written as a prominent sx of withdrawl along with other digestive issues. And that post from prhiannon was her way of explaining this after reading a very in depth article on this subject from a scientific journal.

Hope all is well for you right now.

NJ, so glad about your new job! Intend, I too, fit the profile. Menopausal years got me on this stuff. I was also told klonopin was so much safer than Valium.      I read that 40% of gaba is in the stomach. I know I have been having some pains.    Good morning, Stut! Actually it is afternoon. You are all wonderful people. Hugs to all, Esperanza

NJ,

Hope this day is working out well for you. I’m not sure when the new job starts, but Im thinking you’re working right now. You have a very busy life.

Yesterday, my hubby had me running him around back and forth to Home Depot because of one of our sprinkler lines. It’s hard to juggle all the responsibilities of regular life with benzo w/d.

Just wanted to make sure you understood my post yesterday. I know you’re anxious about your new job, and also about the nausea you feel.

So my post was intended to address the nausea issues and assure you that nausea is a rather common part of withdrawl from benzos. I suppose I could have used Wikipedia, but I did find that post and used that instead. I just looked at Wikipedia and the nausea is written as a prominent sx of withdrawl along with other digestive issues. And that post from prhiannon was her way of explaining this after reading a very in depth article on this subject from a scientific journal.

Hope all is well for you right now.

Intend,

I was working all day and had a 90 minute commute home!

I know that nausea is a very common benzo withdrawal symptom. I think it is why my gastro has been hesitant to treat or test much, but I did see him yesterday and he suggested a PPI and a stomach emptying test, as I do have many symptoms of gastroparesis (I think that is spelled wrong!); many people on BB are diagnosed with this. The nausea, after taking the PPI last night, seemed better today. Fingers crossed that this might work.

Thanks to everyone else for their congratulations! I am really excited that a job literally just fell in my lap. I am nervous about more change, but I am trying to remain as positive as possible. I have done this work before and been successful, so need to keep reminding myself of that when the benzo crazy talk seeps in my head that steals my confidence too often.

NJ,

That’s a very long commute! I often think about these commutes and how long they take as I see people on both sides of the freeways here moving at lightening speed to get home. It’s truly 2 way travel as so many live in the south part of the valley and work in the north part of the valley and vice versa. On top of that, the department of transportation is constantly tearing up some commuter type highway that was built a few years back and making some type of “improvement” on it in order to help people get home faster, and that slows traffic to a complete halt. We have so many of these type of highways here now, that traffic is fast and then slow everywhere now.

I was fortunate to work very close to home teaching at one of our numerous junior high schools. Then when I changed to working for Salt Lake County, I did 10-12 hour shifts on weekends as therapist and could take either freeway or neighborhood roads to get to work and miss all that traffic.

Sounds like your gastro really gets this benzo situation. Of course, I wanted to google gastroparesis to understand it and did that. I saw that it involves the nerves that control the muscles of the stomach and how well they work to empty the stomach. I thought “it’s the nerve and muscle situation again” which makes sense to me.

I know I’m repeating myself when I say you have some pretty good “things” going for you in the near future. Just keep that confidence going, and yes, fingers crossed for the PPI to help.

NJ,

That’s a very long commute! I often think about these commutes and how long they take as I see people on both sides of the freeways here moving at lightening speed to get home. It’s truly 2 way travel as so many live in the south part of the valley and work in the north part of the valley and vice versa. On top of that, the department of transportation is constantly tearing up some commuter type highway that was built a few years back and making some type of “improvement” on it in order to help people get home faster, and that slows traffic to a complete halt. We have so many of these type of highways here now, that traffic is fast and then slow everywhere now.

I was fortunate to work very close to home teaching at one of our numerous junior high schools. Then when I changed to working for Salt Lake County, I did 10-12 hour shifts on weekends as therapist and could take either freeway or neighborhood roads to get to work and miss all that traffic.

Sounds like your gastro really gets this benzo situation. Of course, I wanted to google gastroparesis to understand it and did that. I saw that it involves the nerves that control the muscles of the stomach and how well they work to empty the stomach. I thought “it’s the nerve and muscle situation again” which makes sense to me.

I know I’m repeating myself when I say you have some pretty good “things” going for you in the near future. Just keep that confidence going, and yes, fingers crossed for the PPI to help.

Thanks intend. Woke up nauseous again today, so only a one-day reprieve, but I did resign today, so that probably triggered the nausea. Wondering if high morning cortisol is also at play here. I mean there is so much going on, hard to figure out. Many people end up with gastroparesis during benzo withdrawal or at least get that diagnosis. The problem is not a lot of good treatment, so if that is it, really not much I can do. Trying to remain positive though. Also having a lot of pain in my one arm I think from an injury from working out. I am trying to figure out if I give it more time or try to find another dr. It's overwhelming getting old even without benzo stuff.

I hope you are doing well today. I guess we have lots in common both being children of alcoholics; I imagine many people on here fit that profile, childhood trauma follows us into adulthood unfortunately.

NJ,

Congratulations on your new job!  I hope all goes well and it’s a smooth transition fo you.  Sounds like a huge blessing.  Hope your nausea subsides. 

Love,

Uni

NJ,

Getting older is no picnic for sure.

I get that early morning cortisol rush also, and I find getting up helps that dissipate.

I did read up on that gastroperesis so I also read what you just mentioned. I wouldn’t jump the gun on this though. I’d let that gastro doc do his thing and make suggestions. I did read that eating high fiber foods is not a good idea. I actually went to the Mayo Clinic site to read about the nutrition part of it. It’s often the first site that pops up on this iPad so I end up there when I google anything.

If you mean seeing another doctor for your arm, I always remember that these benzos kind of target our weak spots and surgical sites. You could either wait until your off the benzo or see another doctor for that. Most of these docs send you to some type of physical therapy first. I’d resist any more meds or surgical intervention though at this point.

And one more thing. I take a PPI also because acid reflux is common with idiopathic subglottic stenosis. My disorder was determined to be inherited and not related to acid reflux, so they are what is called “co morbidities,” meaning that they occurred together. In my case, they didn’t occur at the same time, as the acid reflux started when I was in my late teens, but I don’t think PPIs were available then. Nevertheless, I still had it off and on into adulthood. And I had a few bouts of it as I got older. But if you decide to continue taking the one your gastro doc put you on, you might want to consider taking it in the morning or later in the day as it could interfere with your absorption of the benzo.

I put 4 hours between my PPI and my benzo. And sometimes it’s longer than that if I end up eating dinner at a later time than say 5:30 or 6. But the minimum for me is 4 hours. Just a thought to consider.

Uni—thanks for the congratulations. I also hope the nausea subsides.

Intend—doc suggested I take the ppi at night as the nausea is worst in the morning. I definitely feel this is making me dizzy and out of it so not sure if I can continue. I have never had good relief from any ppi before. Today no appetite and worsening nausea. My arm is really hurting. I know this is an injury so now trying to ice it more. I scheduled my test for Monday so should know more then. I continued to eat bland and not much at all. It has been two weeks since I last vomited and hoping that time continues to increase. So many variables to navigate it is overwhelming but we must just push through unfortunately.

Hope others are doing ok today.

Oh my gosh, Intend. I have had voice changes(raspy) on and off for years. Is that just one more thing it does? I am still trying to figure out how to get through this. I tried a small updose of 10% yesterday. It has not helped at all. I had planned to do long holds, but if I am totally non functional, I don’t know how I can get through several years and possibly more time after the taper. The depression and anxiety is crippling me. It came in waves when I reached tolerance, so I at least got a break. Some of you already know I am dealing with a family crisis now and I am not able to do what I need to do. I have a new taper for 5% cut of remaining dose to start when I am able. I tapered to fast in the beginning and am unsure if that is why I have no windows or if I am not going to get any because I was already withdrawing during tolerance(I would not increase the dose as I was advised). My family needs me and I am scared.  Please weigh in, anyone who wishes. Uni, what do u think? Esperanza(is losing it fast)