The Klonopin Klub#2

[ma...]

Newbie here. Thought I'd introduce myself.  I'm in a miasma of medication, the main culprit being the Klonopin.  I don't plan to start my taper until after the new year, but doing as much research as I can before I start my taper.

Question #1, for those in the know: Klonopin is supposed to stay in your system for quite some time. 12 hours, my psychiatrist said.  I had been switched from Ativan to Klonipin because I was experiencing severe Ativan interdose withdrawal and tolerance. That was in September. For the past few weeks, I have noticed that withdrawal-like symptoms are creeping in during the middle of the day. Body aches, nausea, severe fatigue (with Ativan it was insomnia), paresthesia in my arms... Could I already be building up a tolerance and withdrawing from Klonopin? A bit terrified, to say the least. I already feel horrible. Can't imagine tapering over the next year to get off of the stuff while constantly feeling like this.

Thank you, new friends.

Tolerance from klonopin? No doubt. Everybody is different, but tolerance usually builds up fairly fast. It seems like we quickly get to a point where we need more to get the same "benefit". K is some horrible stuff, and I think it's great that you'll be getting away from it soon. I'm one of the rarer cases, but it's always a great idea to get off this poison no matter how much a person is on or how long they've been taking it. Just focus on the end result and you'll be fine. Find what works for you, then stick with it until the end. Take care!

Tolerance from klonopin? No doubt. Everybody is different, but tolerance usually builds up fairly fast. It seems like we quickly get to a point where we need more to get the same "benefit". K is some horrible stuff, and I think it's great that you'll be getting away from it soon. I'm one of the rarer cases, but it's always a great idea to get off this poison no matter how much a person is on or how long they've been taking it. Just focus on the end result and you'll be fine. Find what works for you, then stick with it until the end. Take care!

Thank you. Yes, I will be happy to start my taper in the new year. One of my christmas presents is a jewelry scale to taper with. The symptom that knocks me on my feet and keeps me from progressing is the nausea. I can only take zofran due to med sensitivities to the other nausea meds, and that just doesn't help withdrawal nausea. Any advice or am I just going to deal with feeling pregnant for over a year?  :-\

Hi,

Wd symptons are not the same all the time , so come and some go . There is even a chance when you will get to a point when you feel better and and wont have nause at all .

Then something else might come . I was on 2 mg K per day as my starting dose i felt horrible all the time , I was afraid to start taper . Eventually I started to feel much better as I progressed. But everybody is different

Thank you. Yes, I will be happy to start my taper in the new year. One of my christmas presents is a jewelry scale to taper with. The symptom that knocks me on my feet and keeps me from progressing is the nausea. I can only take zofran due to med sensitivities to the other nausea meds, and that just doesn't help withdrawal nausea. Any advice or am I just going to deal with feeling pregnant for over a year?  :-\

Hi,

Wd symptons are not the same all the time , so come and some go . There is even a chance when you will get to a point when you feel better and and wont have nause at all .

Then something else might come . I was on 2 mg K per day as my starting dose i felt horrible all the time , I was afraid to start taper . Eventually I started to feel much better as I progressed. But everybody is different

Thank you for that. Gives me a little hope that the taper won't just be an increased nightmare all of the time.

• 1 month later...

Newbie here. Thought I'd introduce myself.  I'm in a miasma of medication, the main culprit being the Klonopin.  I don't plan to start my taper until after the new year, but doing as much research as I can before I start my taper.

Question #1, for those in the know: Klonopin is supposed to stay in your system for quite some time. 12 hours, my psychiatrist said.  I had been switched from Ativan to Klonipin because I was experiencing severe Ativan interdose withdrawal and tolerance. That was in September. For the past few weeks, I have noticed that withdrawal-like symptoms are creeping in during the middle of the day. Body aches, nausea, severe fatigue (with Ativan it was insomnia), paresthesia in my arms... Could I already be building up a tolerance and withdrawing from Klonopin? A bit terrified, to say the least. I already feel horrible. Can't imagine tapering over the next year to get off of the stuff while constantly feeling like this.

Thank you, new friends.

Monty,

I have the same issue and some similar wd symptoms with k. I dose once a day and symptoms are creeping up about 14 hours later. It’s increased with tapering, and I think it’s an interdose wd issue for me. I was in tolerance. As I’ve reduced, very slowly, my tolerance seems better (I’m sleeping better, feel better in AM), but my afternoon wd symptoms are increasing. I think it’s maybe my dosing, but unsure how to distinguish interdose wd from tolerance?

It could be tolerance. Some brands of K seem to last longer. I noticed brand K is shorter acting than my old generic.

Momof7babes, how are you doing? It’s good to see you down much lower now on V. I remeber connecting with you early on.

Best,

Sun

Thank you, new friends.

Monty,

I have the same issue and some similar wd symptoms with k. I dose once a day and symptoms are creeping up about 14 hours later. It’s increased with tapering, and I think it’s an interdose wd issue for me. I was in tolerance. As I’ve reduced, very slowly, my tolerance seems better (I’m sleeping better, feel better in AM), but my afternoon wd symptoms are increasing. I think it’s maybe my dosing, but unsure how to distinguish interdose wd from tolerance?

It could be tolerance. Some brands of K seem to last longer. I noticed brand K is shorter acting than my old generic.

Momof7babes, how are you doing? It’s good to see you down much lower now on V. I remeber connecting with you early on.

Best,

Sun

Maybe dosing 2-3x/day would help. Seems like the body and mind would love to have some consistency throughout the day rather than one big hit followed by nothing for a while. At least K has a little bit longer half-life than many others. We'll take all we can get,right? My best to you!

I moved from dosing twice a day to three times a day.  Even though Clonazapam is long lasting, dosing that way evened things out for me.

Jeff, I hope you are doing well on your taper.  I've been pretty stable and am aiming to maybe step off at the end of this month. 

Wishing everyone well.

Final Healing

I moved from dosing twice a day to three times a day.  Even though Clonazapam is long lasting, dosing that way evened things out for me.

Jeff, I hope you are doing well on your taper.  I've been pretty stable and am aiming to maybe step off at the end of this month. 

Wishing everyone well.

Final Healing

Let us know FH so we can celebrate with you.  :smitten: :smitten:

I will Mary!

Mary, where is your progress log? I wanted to read about your taper and how Tim is helping you, if you don't mind.

It's in the Progress log, named Stuff , last thing I posted  :D

Hi Klonopin Klub,

I'm new to this group and really scared and spinning out of control in my looping thoughts about my taper method because I've been holding for two weeks on the same dose and feeling worse and worse - I dry taper and scrape one side of the pill with a razor blade and use a scale.

Can you all tell me what your taper method is? I feel so alone and would feel some comfort exchanging tapering method info.

For instance:

If you're dry tapering, are you crushing the pill into a powder and weighing it or just shaving the pill? Do you shave it from one side or break it up and shave from the middle?

If you're doing liquid, are you using milk or alcohol? I read on the forum that klonopin doesn't dissolve as well as the other benzos. What has been your experience if you're doing liquid? Is it working well for you?

Hi Lilpea!

I’m in the same boat and following the answers. What are your side effects ? I’ve tried many things to help my withdrawal, but nothing works. (Add some valium, crossed back, cut and hold with 5%, then 3%, then DMT 0,001 g/ every second day and holding now.) I really don’t have any idea what should I do for a little more stability. DMT has worked for you? What happened now?

Enikô

Hi Klonopin Klub,

I'm new to this group and really scared and spinning out of control in my looping thoughts about my taper method because I've been holding for two weeks on the same dose and feeling worse and worse - I dry taper and scrape one side of the pill with a razor blade and use a scale.

Can you all tell me what your taper method is? I feel so alone and would feel some comfort exchanging tapering method info.

For instance:

If you're dry tapering, are you crushing the pill into a powder and weighing it or just shaving the pill? Do you shave it from one side or break it up and shave from the middle?

If you're doing liquid, are you using milk or alcohol? I read on the forum that klonopin doesn't dissolve as well as the other benzos. What has been your experience if you're doing liquid? Is it working well for you?

Hello,

I am new here. This is my first post since my introduction post. You can see in my signature I was on Xanax XR 3mg for about 9 years. New doctor is tapering me off by switching me to klonopin until we get down to zero benzos. I'm currently at 1.5 mg of klonopin every morning. I take a 1mg pill and then cut one in half for the .5 with a pill cutter.

I keep having nightmares every night and feel like I am not sleeping well. It's 8:44am here currently, I got up at 7 and have had 3 cups of coffee along with my vitamins and meds and I am so fatigued! It's very frustrating. Exhausted and I feel like I cannot think through this brain fog.

I'm also taking 20mg Abilify and 150mg Wellbutrin XL.

I don't know if I am asking for anything, just wanted to put my experience out there.

Exhausted,

thoughtform

Hi Klonopin Klub,

For instance:

Hi lilpea,

I'm sorry you are feeling scared and I can relate. I had a lot of fear when I was first tapering but it got better and better as I got lower.

I am dry cutting my pills using a scale and metal nail file. I snap the pill in half using the scores line in the middle and then break off a small piece from the end of that.

To answer your question from your other post, I shave a little bit from both sides as I check the weight on the pill.

I'm getting pretty low so even though the small piece registers on the scale, I will probably use the weight that comes with the scale and put the tiny piece on top of that to get a weight once the piece on its own stops registering.

Clonzapam/klonopin is a heavy medication meaning it made me so tired at the higher doses. That is one the side effects of the medication itself. I was super exhausted all the time because of its sedating effects .  I'm still tired from the process but I do have more energy, which started when I got lower. 

Though this group is not as active as it was, people do respond. I'm sure others will weigh in on tapering methods.

You can make your way of Klonopin, because so many have done so before.  Keep the faith.

Final

Wishing everyone well.

Final Healing

Hey Final!! Congrats to you for your upcoming stepping off time :) . I'  hoping to do the same in 2-3 months. Actually, I could probably do it much much sooner than that, but got some really heavy stressors hitting at the moment, so I want to keep things moving consistently right now and just go with the flow. By the way, thanks for all you do within the BB's community. You have such a great way of lifting people up. Take care!

Jeff

Hi Klonopin Klub,

For instance:

Welcome (kind of)!! I'm a weird and kind of extreme case, but I've been using liquid titration just about the entire time of my k taper. Before starting my k taper I got off other meds I was taking just by gradually backing off them, shaving pieces, etc. It was a nightmare, but I had no clue about tapering methods, how to do them, and so on. K has been my last med to get off of, and it's been a wild ride. A good friend of mine once told me to be careful about "shaving" pieces off of tablets because the drug usually isn't spread evenly throughout a tablet. We may be shaving off filler only and not any of the actual med, or we may be shaving off a ton of med and not even no it. Everybody's different, but I decided to go to liquid and that made a world of difference. Just follow your gut feeling and you'll do what's best for you. Get good and stable, then move forward with whatever plan you go with and don't look back. I use about 2.5 mL of vodka to dissolve my tablets, and no problems with that over the taper. I hope to take my last dose within a couple of months, so stick with it! Long-haulers like me just have to keep at it until the day comes when we finally stick benzos in our rearview mirrors. Hang in there!

Wishing everyone well.

Final Healing

Hey Final!! Congrats to you for your upcoming stepping off time :) . I'  hoping to do the same in 2-3 months. Actually, I could probably do it much much sooner than that, but got some really heavy stressors hitting at the moment, so I want to keep things moving consistently right now and just go with the flow. By the way, thanks for all you do within the BB's community. You have such a great way of lifting people up. Take care!

Jeff

Thank you Jeff! It is so strange to be at the end of the journey. After tapering off of two other medications plus a non taper of Clonzapam before this, I'm slowly realizing that this will be it.

I'm so glad you will finishing and stepping off in the near future. I get how important it is for things to be stable outside, in order for us to feel stable inside.

Thank you for your kind words. You too are somone who offer such good information and encouragement to others.  You are doing it!

Final

Hi Klonopin Klub,

For instance:

Hi lilpea,

I'm sorry you are feeling scared and I can relate. I had a lot of fear when I was first tapering but it got better and better as I got lower.

I am dry cutting my pills using a scale and metal nail file. I snap the pill in half using the scores line in the middle and then break off a small piece from the end of that.

To answer your question from your other post, I shave a little bit from both sides as I check the weight on the pill.

I'm getting pretty low so even though the small piece registers on the scale, I will probably use the weight that comes with the scale and put the tiny piece on top of that to get a weight once the piece on its own stops registering.

Clonzapam/klonopin is a heavy medication meaning it made me so tired at the higher doses. That is one the side effects of the medication itself. I was super exhausted all the time because of its sedating effects .  I'm still tired from the process but I do have more energy, which started when I got lower. 

Though this group is not as active as it was, people do respond. I'm sure others will weigh in on tapering methods.

You can make your way of Klonopin, because so many have done so before.  Keep the faith.

Final

Hi Final, thank you for the details of your taper method and your thought on how you're going to go about weighing the tinier pieces at the end.  It's encouraging to see that you were able to use the shaving off and scale method and now the finish line is in sight for you!

The sedation is a new symptom that's happening to me so it's nice to know it's a thing with K. Thanks for your encouragement.

Hi Klonopin Klub,

For instance:

Welcome (kind of)!! I'm a weird and kind of extreme case, but I've been using liquid titration just about the entire time of my k taper. Before starting my k taper I got off other meds I was taking just by gradually backing off them, shaving pieces, etc. It was a nightmare, but I had no clue about tapering methods, how to do them, and so on. K has been my last med to get off of, and it's been a wild ride. A good friend of mine once told me to be careful about "shaving" pieces off of tablets because the drug usually isn't spread evenly throughout a tablet. We may be shaving off filler only and not any of the actual med, or we may be shaving off a ton of med and not even no it. Everybody's different, but I decided to go to liquid and that made a world of difference. Just follow your gut feeling and you'll do what's best for you. Get good and stable, then move forward with whatever plan you go with and don't look back. I use about 2.5 mL of vodka to dissolve my tablets, and no problems with that over the taper. I hope to take my last dose within a couple of months, so stick with it! Long-haulers like me just have to keep at it until the day comes when we finally stick benzos in our rearview mirrors. Hang in there!

Hi Ultra! Thank you so much for responding. You mention exactly the point that had me worried. That the shaving of the pill could be inconsistent; shaving more filler sometimes, or shaving more medication sometimes.

But these anecdotal stories of what works for people whether it be dry or liquid gives me some reassurance that maybe it can be done either way.

I keep reading about liquid titration but scattered throughout the forum, they talk about how klonopin is different than the other benzos in making a reliable "homebrew".  I needed to hear stories like yours that it is possible to make an alcohol based liquid K that is uniform enough that you've been able to stick to it for awhile now.

Your story is not weird imo. I plan on being at this for a long time. I've read through some of the LongHoldSupportGroup thread. Especially old member, Valley Um's,  theories, and that group makes a lot of sense. You've been doing the long haul and it looks like you're in the home stretch and in good condition. I'm so happy for you.

Hi Lilpea!

I’m in the same boat and following the answers. What are your side effects ? I’ve tried many things to help my withdrawal, but nothing works. (Add some valium, crossed back, cut and hold with 5%, then 3%, then DMT 0,001 g/ every second day and holding now.) I really don’t have any idea what should I do for a little more stability. DMT has worked for you? What happened now?

Enikô

Hi Rozalinda! So nice to connect with you. I hope we can both figure out what'll work for us.

To answer your question, I have more anxiety, depression, agoraphobia, body weakness and aches, stomach upset, sleep disturbances, sedation, a slight dizziness I never had before, on and on.  Little Miss Sunshine here  :)  I know a lot of people have it way worse.

How about you? I'm glad you responded. This benzo journey can be lonely and confusing. Let's see what we can figure out.

Hello,

I am new here. This is my first post since my introduction post. You can see in my signature I was on Xanax XR 3mg for about 9 years. New doctor is tapering me off by switching me to klonopin until we get down to zero benzos. I'm currently at 1.5 mg of klonopin every morning. I take a 1mg pill and then cut one in half for the .5 with a pill cutter.

I keep having nightmares every night and feel like I am not sleeping well. It's 8:44am here currently, I got up at 7 and have had 3 cups of coffee along with my vitamins and meds and I am so fatigued! It's very frustrating. Exhausted and I feel like I cannot think through this brain fog.

I'm also taking 20mg Abilify and 150mg Wellbutrin XL.

I don't know if I am asking for anything, just wanted to put my experience out there.

Exhausted,

thoughtform

Hi Thought! I'm new to this support group too but wanted to welcome you.

If it makes you feel any better, I have nightmares and fatigue too. I think a good portion of the people on this forum do.

I was on 1.75mg of K at the start and if I could go back and do it over again, I would have tapered at only 5-10% to start and get a reading on how my CNS reacts and only proceed with further cuts based on my level of stability.  That way, you can try not throwing your CNS into chaos and try to stay under the radar as you slowly withdraw the med. Just my 2 cents  :)

Hi Lilpea!

How are you now? Is there any changes? My main symptoms are anxiety, chest pain, depression, fatigue, stomach problems, sedation, brain fog. How do you plan to continue? After two months holding I'll try another 5% decrease. I'm scared...

Enikő

Hi Lilpea!

Enikô

Hi Rozalinda! So nice to connect with you. I hope we can both figure out what'll work for us.

To answer your question, I have more anxiety, depression, agoraphobia, body weakness and aches, stomach upset, sleep disturbances, sedation, a slight dizziness I never had before, on and on.  Little Miss Sunshine here  :)  I know a lot of people have it way worse.

How about you? I'm glad you responded. This benzo journey can be lonely and confusing. Let's see what we can figure out.

Hi Klonopin Klub,

For instance:

Hi Ultra! Thank you so much for responding. You mention exactly the point that had me worried. That the shaving of the pill could be inconsistent; shaving more filler sometimes, or shaving more medication sometimes.

But these anecdotal stories of what works for people whether it be dry or liquid gives me some reassurance that maybe it can be done either way.

I keep reading about liquid titration but scattered throughout the forum, they talk about how klonopin is different than the other benzos in making a reliable "homebrew".  I needed to hear stories like yours that it is possible to make an alcohol based liquid K that is uniform enough that you've been able to stick to it for awhile now.

Your story is not weird imo. I plan on being at this for a long time. I've read through some of the LongHoldSupportGroup thread. Especially old member, Valley Um's,  theories, and that group makes a lot of sense. You've been doing the long haul and it looks like you're in the home stretch and in good condition. I'm so happy for you.

Sure thing, you'll just pick what method resonates with you and go from there. I think the body just adjusts to things and then moves on. So, I'm sure dry-cutting is hunky dory for some, and liquid taper is dandy for others. Everybody that's been in my group since the get-go has been using the liquid method (everyone else is either completely finished or is about to be). It's so hard to predict what's best for people. We each just kind of need to see what's out there and then go for it, hold when symptoms get out of control, use some common sense, then move ahead again. You'll make it!!!!