The Easier Taper Support Group

[so...]

Yes, 25% is a big cut. My symptoms are very manageable now that I've slept! The insomnia was my worst symptom. I saw the doc today and will continue the taper at this rate for the next 2 weeks. She added Trazadone, to be taken when the insomnia rears its ugly head a few days from now. She said to take it 3 hours before the regular xanax (can't be taken together).

We had a discussion about slowing down the taper when I go back to work in September, or before if I want to.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement. I hope all of you are doing well and are hanging in there.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [ly...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Wheretogo,

I was once on Klonopin (.5 mg) along with other meds. Eventually I stopped the other meds and stayed on the Klonopin for a couple of years. I quit it cold turkey once, which was a big mistake. The second time, I was switched over to Xanax XR, which I am now tapering off from.

Just know you are not alone. I try not to dwell on it and to keep very busy.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the encouragement. It really makes a difference when someone goes out of their way to encourage me. I try to encourage so many. It is so powerful to be told I am not alone.  :)

Yup, I am sure it will turn out well in the end.

Today was is one of the days during a cut that everything unpleasant seems to be diminished.

Tinnitus is pretty quiet

Head ache is gone

anxiety is so low as to be non existent

Feet and hands are not tingling

I actually was driving somewhere and caught myself  turning the radio up singing along and feeling happy, I have about 3 1/2 to 4 months left of my klonopin taper but am looking forward to feeling like this pretty much all the time when I am done. :thumbsup:

2trusting, great news  :thumbsup:

The symptoms seem to ebb and flow. When they are rearing their ugly head, I try to remember to breathe and to say, "I am healing"!

May there be more good days than bad going forward for you.

Bump! Anybody else out there with an easy time of it?

Mine has not been so easy , but it's doable. I just want to get finished. Waiting for next Pdoc appt in a week and a half. See what's next for me.

I was only on Xanax for a month before I started tapering, and it hasn't been as hard as some of the stories I've read from long time users ... but it hasn't been a walk in the park either. The reason I got on Xanax was a severe reaction (depression, anxiety, etc.) to high doses of prednisone for an ear infection. After 3 weeks on Xanax it become obvious to me that I was not only tolerant, but dependent. I tried going cold turkey, but had an anxiety attack, so jumped back on. Next I tried just cutting it in half, but that was still a little too much ... then I found Benzo Buddies. Anyway, some of the things that seemed to cause me problems early on were big cuts, not enough time to stabilize at each dose, aspirin and caffeine. Please note I had also taken Cipro right before going on the prednisone, and I'm sure that caused some of my issues. My worst side effect has been bad muscle cramps, plus I get some of the common ones ... muscle twitches, heart palpitations, jittery, sweating and sudden fatigue on a couple of occasions. Most of these occur within the first 4 days of lowering my dose. Finally, I've found that the biggest things helping me through my side effects are riding my bicycle (45 mins to 1.5 hrs), massages, hot baths, and magnesium (also take D3, Omega3, Zinc). Oh, and during the ear infection, I developed tinnitus, which is also making things a little harder, since each taper sends it a little higher, before it settles down.  I still have it, but it's much soften than when I was on the prednisone ... which sent it through the roof!

Good luck to everyone, and just take it slow and steady!

:thumbsup:

Mikie, You sound like you are doing your best to help your body heal by exercising and taking supplements. Short term users vs. long term users and the ease of taper seems to be another case of individual differences.

Keep up the positive attitude!

:thumbsup

So glad to hear it!!! Keep up the positive vibes!

It IS such an individual journey. You are SO right!

How do you feel ? Keep us posted. I've got 26 yrs of benzos under the bridge,

and your 1 month taper is inspiring !

-Justaman

Thanks 648THD!! It looks like you're making great progress too! See you on the other side!  ;)

I am making progress and sure do hope to be on the other side within a few months!

Thank you. Keep up the positive attitude!

-Justaman

I feel really good and am so encouraged by the taper plan set forth by my new pdoc. At first I was skeptical, but she reassured me that she would help manage my symptoms and that I can always slow down the taper. I am a teacher and go back to school in a couple of weeks. We might do a bit of a "hold" at that point.

My anxiety has always been worse in the mornings. Right now my palms are sweating, but my head, heart and stomach are fine. I just took my morning dose of Xanax Xr and am waiting for it to kick in. Some of this is rebound anxiety due to the taper. We really won't know what my anxiety levels will "stabilize" at until I am off benzos and my brain has had time to adjust. Then we will treat accordingly.

We are all so different and treatment must be customized to suit our needs.

Thank you for asking. I wish you a smooth recovery!

Tapering doesn't seem to be the hardest part of this for me. Tapering is safest, but I seem to be more concerned about what is going to happen AFTER the damn taper. To me, none of this counts until the body is benzo free. Seems that is when the real healing/hell begins. :-*

Tapering doesn't seem to be the hardest part of this for me. Tapering is safest, but I seem to be more concerned about what is going to happen AFTER the damn taper. To me, none of this counts until the body is benzo free. Seems that is when the real healing/hell begins. :-*

Yah I worry about that too.

My taper has been long but pretty mild for the most part.

I just hope acute is not too bad.  I'm nervous about it.  Plan to stop at the end of this month.  Trying to be brave, but still kinda worried.

Wishing all the best for you.  :thumbsup:

i truly believe if you go slow and steady, have no other problems such as a rapid taper, numerous attempts at getting off these things, c/t's, we will step off with out any or very little problems. 

Remember, there are numerous people that get off these things with no problems at all.  Just the ones having problems make it to forums and post about it.

You will be fine Disney Girl....just don't get in a hurry to get off....slow and steady wins  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DG:

You are on such a low dose. What dose do you plan to jump from? And how do you manage to see that tiny crumb of a pill?

Betsy :)

-Justaman

I feel really good and am so encouraged by the taper plan set forth by my new pdoc. At first I was skeptical, but she reassured me that she would help manage my symptoms and that I can always slow down the taper. I am a teacher and go back to school in a couple of weeks. We might do a bit of a "hold" at that point.

My anxiety has always been worse in the mornings. Right now my palms are sweating, but my head, heart and stomach are fine. I just took my morning dose of Xanax Xr and am waiting for it to kick in. Some of this is rebound anxiety due to the taper. We really won't know what my anxiety levels will "stabilize" at until I am off benzos and my brain has had time to adjust. Then we will treat accordingly.

We are all so different and treatment must be customized to suit our needs.

Thank you for asking. I wish you a smooth recovery!

thank you ! I got this link from a BB'er to help in post jump life, lots of good ideas for natural supplements to treat anxiety http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/54028-treating-anxiety-safely-effectively/

-Jman

How often do you all see your pdoc? I'd like to see mine more often for more continued guidance at least until I find some pattern.

I'm a little more than halfway there and it has been easy so far! Sure, there have been a few bad nights and a few weird symptoms. But I'm starting to realize that I probably would have had those even without WD. After all, I do have anxiety and I'm medicating that less now. Accepting the bad with the good is a major coping skill that I'm so happy to learn. Before, I was a perfectionist and I wanted every moment to be a good one. That's simply not life.

My Ativan taper was a total non-event since I was quite medicated on Valium at the time, so I guess we can technically count that as another easy one!

I had numerous people in my inner circle tell me that they got off benzos slowly or even CT without any problems, but I disregarded that and let the horror stories scare the hell out of me. Indeed, it can be scary for many people. But it can also be just fine. You don't know until you get there.

Stay hopeful and recognize any complications as temporary. :thumbsup:

How often do you all see your pdoc? I'd like to see mine more often for more continued guidance at least until I find some pattern.

At first, I saw him every two weeks. After I got settled into my routine with no problems, it was every three weeks. Now since my Val taper is going well, I see him once a month. Today I went to an appointment, but the session wasn't scheduled until next Tuesday. So my pdoc laughed and said my brain was fried.  :laugh: It is! And I have to pay out of pocket but I am his only patient who gets the "child's rate." Poor poor pitiful me.

Betsy :)