The Easier Taper Support Group

[so...]

I can't tell you how grateful I am for this post and for all the responses. I'm just starting to taper and really have no idea what I'm doing or what to expect, but after looking up withdrawal symptoms here and elsewhere I've been terrified.  Reading through this has helped ease some of my fear. I would love to have this thread continue!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [ly...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi sonia1991,

Seems like you have the gift of starting interesting topics and asking interesting questions.    ;)

Yes I had a incredibly and fairly easy taper the first time around. I did the crossover to Valium and it seemed to kick in better then the stuff I was on previous. I cut very slowly and did about 1 mg every week in the beginning and at the end 1 mg every two weeks. I hardly felt it and except for some anxiety I barely had any symptoms at all.

Now I am tapering for the second time around and I really can't believe what's happening and how much worse it is. I have symptoms now I never had when I tapered and came off the first time. I've been reading a post of admin "Benzos-R-Cruel" in which she was talking about kindling, maybe that's it I don't know. Just seems like this time the Valium is not kicking in that great anymore to say the least. I've been doubting myself seriously if I would make it this second time around and succeed to get off again to be quite honest.      :-[

How often do you all see your pdoc? I'd like to see mine more often for more continued guidance at least until I find some pattern.

I've seen my doctor twice so far: the very first appointment, then 2 weeks later. My next appointment is 4 weeks from the last one, mainly because I'm going back to work next week. But she is always available by email if I need her. So far, I have not emailed her. Crossing fingers.

:D

I have to see my pdoc every 4 weeks for the benzo prescription (they won't do refills), but once I'm free of these, it'll probably be every six months.

I. Cannot. Freaking. Wait. :laugh:

I've been going to the doc every month for years! So tired of it!

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'll always need a pdoc. This anxiety will need to be managed somehow. But first step is to get off benzos and see how much anxiety I have once my brain heals.

I can't tell you how grateful I am for this post and for all the responses. I'm just starting to taper and really have no idea what I'm doing or what to expect, but after looking up withdrawal symptoms here and elsewhere I've been terrified.  Reading through this has helped ease some of my fear. I would love to have this thread continue!

Can you kindly make a signature so we can understand your situation a little better?

I had a pretty easy taper once I figured out what my body needed.  Basically it came down to running hard on a treadmill, 3-4 times a week for 2 miles.  Using this method I was able to cut .5mg Valium every 3 days.  It was 7 weeks of sleep-disturbance but aside from that I had no other symptoms (no anxiety, no tinnitus, etc).

My full story can be found here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=162626.0

I really hope this helps someone out there.  Intense cardio exercise is the way back.

Sorry to hijack the thread for a sec, but does pdoc mean primary doc or psych doc? I think I may have been confusing this the whole time. I haven't seen a psychiatrist though they almost sent me there when I asked to cross over to Valium. As long as I make it through this taper, I can avoid that. I am working with a coach/counselor online though, which I recommend highly! I may eventually see an in-person counselor if I can get up the nerve. The online sessions have changed my life considerably and really helped with coping skills and daily living.

P-doc=Pdoc=Psychiatrist;

GP=General Practioner = regular doctor.

Not many people talk about Psychologists, who can discuss your mental health but

can't prescribe medications. More like a thereapist.

-Jman

Oopsie, I have definitely replied to "pdoc" questions a time or two here, and I don't have one. :crazy: Why did I just assume that meant primary?

I have to see my pdoc every 4 weeks for the benzo prescription (they won't do refills), but once I'm free of these, it'll probably be every six months.

I. Cannot. Freaking. Wait. :laugh:

I've been going to the doc every month for years! So tired of it!

If you have a mail-in prescription option your doctor can write for a 90 day supply for the benzo prescription. That is what my previous nurse practitioner did. It was a 3 month supply.

solaceandpeace - your taper is very impressive! congratulations. i was at 6 m val equiv in end of may. now at 1. you were at 9 now at 3. you are going faster! I've had about three sections of turbulence. and slowing the last bit as it is a bit tougher. i think this last bit will take about 3-4 weeks. how have you felt throughout the last three months?

Kmerckx, you guys are seriously making me feel like a million bucks tonight! I honestly didn't give myself much credit for going this fast. And I may even regret this pace later! But I can really SEE and FEEL what a big deal this is and how much progress I have made now that a few of you have pointed it out to me. Thank you! :smitten: Are you in the 3,2,1 thread too?

I had one rough week in the past three months, if I recall correctly. And it wasn't that bad. Felt a little floaty, a little spacy, a little weird. Stomach was burning like crazy. Temples were pulsing. But really, even though it seemed major at the time, those symptoms aren't that bad. And I usually only felt that way for maybe an hour or two out of the day.

My attitude has definitely changed. Five years ago, I was an anxiety-filled mess over any little physical symptom. Health anxiety is what brought me to benzos in the first place. I guess I can't really regret this benzo detour because it has taught me so much and I really am stronger.

Least favorite symptom so far has been... is it called akasthesia? When you can't hold still? It happens mostly while driving, mostly at red lights. My body wants to keep moving forward and I end up basically rocking back and forth. I'm self conscious about it but I finally really took to heart what my partner said about it, which is that it's temporary and part of the process and that I have nothing to be embarrassed about.

The only time I have a problem that I would call severe is when I lose a night of sleep. All hell breaks loose. But if I sleep, my anxieties and other sxs seem manageable. Sleep is so important for healing.

~CeCe    :)

solaceandpeace you make it sound like a sleigh ride. ha. I'm not on valium and temazepam has a shorter half life so i had lots of interdose withdrawal at the high part of the taper. that is mostly gone. the main issue has always been sleep like cece says. its a battle every night.  how has your sleep been? you didnt mention it so have you actually slept ok?

solaceandpeace you make it sound like a sleigh ride. ha. I'm not on valium and temazepam has a shorter half life so i had lots of interdose withdrawal at the high part of the taper. that is mostly gone. the main issue has always been sleep like cece says. its a battle every night.  how has your sleep been? you didnt mention it so have you actually slept ok?

Oh, I like that phrase! Sleigh ride! I think I'll hold onto that one as a little mantra too. Especially since I should hopefully be ending my acute withdrawal phase (not that we can predict how long that will actually last) around Christmas! ;)

Ah, not on Valium... I understand completely. I tapered Ativan before my crossover to Valium and I absolutely couldn't handle the interdose WDs. Depersonalization, derealization, vertigo, panic attacks, etc. Now that I've developed real coping skills, there's a part of me that knows that at least a bit of that was me freaking out more than necessary, and I was SO close to being benzo-free that I sometimes wish I had just pushed through. But I was barely eating, barely sleeping... I was a mess. I honestly don't think I could have done this at all without Valium.

Sleep has been fine on this V taper. Vivid dreams but not too many nightmares. I don't have a hard time falling asleep at all and I get a good seven to nine hours every night. I should note that I'm also taking magnesium and melatonin, and I'm also on probiotics to control the stomach pain, which seem to also calm me down considerably. Medical marijuana every night before sleep too. That part isn't necessary for sleep but it cured my PCOS after not having periods for 20 years (not a typo!) so I consider it a nightly vitamin at this point. At least one puff a day, lol.

So I do have some help in the sleep department, but I am a heavy sleeper naturally, so I don't know if any of that really makes a difference! :crazy:

The only time I have a problem that I would call severe is when I lose a night of sleep. All hell breaks loose. But if I sleep, my anxieties and other sxs seem manageable. Sleep is so important for healing.

~CeCe    :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Gosh, I haven't been on this site for a month. Guess that is good news!

Here's an update:

Did the fast taper and reduced by XR Xanax by half.

Doc just added Buspar last week.

We are in a holding pattern to allow my brain to process the taper and have no plan to cut the rest of the Xanax at this point.

I do have more anxiety and just started a yoga class. Overall thought I feel SO MUCH BETTER! Yea!

Keep those positive thoughts. This can be done.

easy till I hit about 0.25mg K, now is getting harder, but I am hopeful, taking smaller cuts, and doing longer window frames

I have good windows

• 3 weeks later...
I had a pretty easy taper. Took 9.5 months to taper off .5mgs drycutting klonopin.Maybe twice in that taper I had stomach upsets, some vomiting and flu like symptoms. But it was always just about 12 hrs of feeling yucky, then back to fine. I have been off since Sept 30 and have not had a single twinge of discomfort. I am hoping for the best. Hope I don't get slammed down the line but I am feeling confident and really good physically and proud of myself for having the patience and strength to go through that long daily taper! You can do this!!!

Congrats BettyLou!!!!!  I love reading your type of story.  I haven't had any problems and keep worrying about "getting hit". This shows it can be done without getting hit!!!

I love this thread.  I am doing pretty good now compared to how horrible I felt earlier this year.  I think possibly I felt so bad due to the c/T from Temazepam 30mg and then reinstated at 15mg.  I  was a wreck for months and then it started to lift.  I have sleeping problems  but that is why I started the temazapam.  The depression and brain fog  is lifting.  My husband said he has his boss back.  ;D