Pelvic pain, burning VJ/ prostate, urinary type problems support group

[ol...]

I hope it helps someone  :)  Doing this has definitely brought me some relief.  Im sure there must be a variation of this out there that could help more.

[d8...]

Having recently gone through several weeks of PFD PT, recommended by a Urogynecologist, diagnosed with PFD and IC (highly doubt the IC or it's a very mild case which I do not treat other than to watch some foods if needed), I wanted to share my experience on this important and vastly overlooked issue in women and men. I am a  week out of PT, I can feel my pelvic floor (and all surrounding muscles) tightening up, my thighs and hip, seems my PF if constricting again & against, in unison with my taper, which I am quite low in # now, as bad as before I started PT - benzo's are a muscle relaxer, the pelvic floor muscle is one vast and important muscle group, so no surprise here to be in discomfort. The PT helped somewhat, about 30%, however, from where I sit now, I believe it is not fully beneficial to do PT while still tapering, and possibly, for sometime afterwards, depending on one's own individual needs of course, I am not here to tell anyone "how to" or "what to" do with their body. It doesn't make sense to me, after this experience, that a therapy(all that it entails which is more than just pelvic stretches) can counter what the effects of removing the benzo does to our muscles and nerves while tapering; after completion of taper, absolutely, during, not so much. Two opposing forces, relax...stretch... taper, tighten. The benzo wins, for now only. I have some tools to help me along, which I will use during and thereafter.

I did learn some things from the physical therapist, they may help someone else, they may not. If you try them, start slow and if you feel worse, than stop doing them. I have a very tight PF muscle, all three muscle layers are extremely tight. I don't have urinary incontinence or leakage; NO Kegel exercise's for me, that would be a massive error. What OGM mentioned is called "the butterfly", some others stretches have names, some do not. I just wanted to share some of my experience, it may help someone else:

Stretches

1) Butterfly stretch: laying on your back, bend your knees, fee flat on the floor/table, drop knees to each side, hold for 30 seconds, bring knees together, repeat. Do twice a day and you can work up to 45 seconds.

2) Leg drop: laying on the edge of a flat surface table/bed, drop one leg off the side for 30 seconds, bring back up and repeat, then do same for the other side. Do twice a day and you can work up to 45 seconds.

3) Pelvic stretch: resting your forearms on a table/chair/counter top as you are bent over, legs slightly spread, lean back, stretching slightly, hold for 30 seconds, repeat. Do twice a day and you can work up to 45 seconds.

4) Pelvic stretch: resting your forearms on a table/chair/counter top as you are bent over, legs spread, engage right hip, stretch to left side, feeling a slight pull on your inner thigh, hold for 30 seconds, repeat. Do same movement with left hip. Do twice a day and you can work up to 45 seconds.

5) Chair stretch (you may need a 2"- 3" box/foam pad if your are height challenged): feet flat on floor, cross one leg over with ankle over knee, both hands on crossed leg, bend forward slightly with back straight, hold for 30 seconds, repeat, do same with opposite leg. Do twice a day and you can work up to 45 seconds. 

There are other stretches, the above are what my PT said are most beneficial for me (tight pelvic floor muscle). I do them at least once a day while at work, when I can and morning/night. I also had internal pelvic floor therapy, this was quite beneficial. There is something called a 'therawand' that one can use at home to manipulate the PF internally. I would NOT recommend this to anyone who has NOT been through this PT with a therapist, giving the information only. Some people, such as myself, never knew there was even this type of PT, let alone, items that can be purchased to use at home to continue therapy afterwards.

Lastly, on the topic of frequent voiding, it is best to avoid conditioning your bladder and mind to the "go in case"  bathroom visits, where one voids just trickle. If you are going to a restaurant, grocery store, etc...they have bathrooms, you should wait instead of going before you leave and "just in case." If you are going for a long car ride, then yes, void your baldder, if a bathroom is available where you are going, wait. A 'normal' (hate that word) void should last 12-22 seconds, counting 1 Mississippi, anything less is training your bladder to not fill up and become weak, anything more is unhealthy for obvious reasons. This tidbit of information from the therapist was literally eye-opening.

I am NOT a doctor, nurse or anyone with a medical background. I AM someone who has PFD, had been to PFD PT and someone who IS tapering off of a long term benzo use. This thread is important, thanks to the member that started it. 

Thanks so much for this info.  I will definitely try this as I have burning tight nerve issues in V area and also my feet burn.  I know its the taper, which I have been holding hoping for some relief but seems to be getting worse.  Some days are a little better but always back to bad then horrible.  If these stretches can help that area even a little its a lifesaver.  Thanks again.

I can say I have terrible burning bladder diagnosed as Interstitial Cystitis. I live on azo, It stinks. Getting pelvic floor therapy now and hope it gets better.

benzo-off thanks so much for the info.  I have been wanting to go for PT on this issue but the only place in town I know of requires and MD referral.  They would not accept it from my acuputuncturist. 

Sweet pea

[d8...]

You are all welcome, sincerely wish and hope the information is helpful and relief is received.

Free, may I suggest you look into liquid daily micro liquid tapering? This isn't necessarily the thread for it, but reading over this whole thread, I see you've had your share off problems  (hope you're doing better) and from my experience, I've been successful in lowering my V dose from 12 mg's to 1.54 mg's, all by liquid daily micro tapering.

Blueskysea, I'm terribly sorry about the IC, I have had bladder spasms for year's  (not ant longer) and other issue's and it is so painful and frustrated. There is a great website, I-C Network. If you hadn't seen or heard of it yet, I'd definitely search it out and join. Very knowledgeable forum. Good luck with the PT, as well.

Sweetpea, I'd look into an MD to get that referral if this is that import to you, we'll worth it.

Thank-you benzo-off!  Good information.  I had pelvic floor pt too and it helped for awhile.  IC/vuvlodynia flaring worse again lately as I get to the end of my taper off clonazepam.  Never had such issues before starting benzos.  Hoping it all goes away after I've finally healed.  Thanks again  :)

Thanks for the info.  Yes I will try the liquid microtaper at some point.  I am still having the same problem along with tongue and feet burning.  HOrrible s/x's and I certainly hope they will go away at some point.  I have been dealing with it for way too long.  Will try those exercises also.

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if anyone found their symptoms flared up after getting off benzos?  I'm trying to figure out if my really bad, sudden interstitial cystitis (?) flare is aggravated from that or from certain foods/drinks I consumed recently,( that I forgot are on the IC "no-no" list) :o

Can barely sit and in the bathroom a lot...ugh!  :sick:  Thanks!

You finished tapering!! Congrats!

No acute?

I 100 percent think ic flare is connected to benzo withdrawal

I believe ic to be a problem in the amygdala partly and I had it last year after unknowingly being in withdrawal

Elmiron did help me in the past

My ic isn't in remission but I don't want to add another drug

You can look into Matia Brizman at boma med

She does phone work

She is familiar w benzos

Thank-you Jackson!  I'm still having windows and waves with some rough days but, at 2 weeks off, I feel like I did 2 weeks before I jumped.  Symptoms were ramped up then but, I just kept pushing through it.

Thank-you too for the information on IC.  Everything in our bodies is sooo hypersensitive and my bladder sure is, too  :sick:  Glad Elmiron helped you before.  I'm too afraid to take any meds for it right now.  I'm still using Desert Harvest aloe vera caps and just doubled up on them for a few days-seem to be helping.  That's interesting about the amygdala and ic-makes sense if the amygdala is on overdrive that our urinary tract is too...ugh!

I will look up Matia Brizman,.  How are you doing?

My heart goes out to all of you with these awful symptoms. I've been having this problem since the beginning of Sept. I had burning, pain, frequent urination and was dx'd with a UTI and prescribed Bactrim. The uti was confirmed by culture. Let's just say I felt awful on Bactrim.

I still felt symptoms so I went back for another urine culture. Sure enough another UTI. I opted for Keflex this time. I am on my last day of of the script and I still feel discomfort in my bladder area. It feels uncomfortable, sore, and I have burning. I tried apple cider vinegar and it really burned my bladder. It looks like I might have to go back to the doctor for another test and script. I never had recurrent UTIs in my life so I'm assuming w/d is playing havoc. Any suggestions to calm down my bladder? I'm hoping I find relief soon.

Thanks buddies,

Becky  :smitten:

Hi all

Hope the IC is getting better

I honestly wonder if when I initially got IC (25 years ago) being prescribed Valium actually messed up my nervous system and immune system more.. Never thought twice about my benzo use but now I understand why this is a beast

I am recovering from pneumonia and then just as I was getting back on my feet got slammed w another virus. Was on antibitics and now possible yeast

I am just trying something called yeast arrest tonight

This is all way too much

Before the pneumonia I was doing ok on my taper.. Amped but feeling better and hiking loads etc etc laughing more and driving to the beach.. This slammed me and I have been down for 6 weeks. Scared..

But hanging in there

Going to meditate.. In between blowing my nose that is..

Good aloe works

Yes Matia Brizman is the "guru" on the west coast re: ic

She knows the evil of benzos

Good luck

Thank you burnedout. Still have to pee often but that was before the infections and even before meds, but to a lesser degree. Sometimes I wonder where all this urine is coming from.

Going for my third culture for uti tomorrow.  It seems better than it was but I've have some bladder spasms. They usually come at night which is weird. God I hope I don't have another UTI. It's an e-coli infection. This time I'm going to my OBGYN so I can get tested for yeast infection which I am sure I have and bacterial vaginosis.

I've been taking a tsp of d-mannose powder mixed with water every 2/3 hours starting today.

Thanks burnedout. The d-mannose seemed to help a lot. Although I took so much this am I was a bit nauseous and yesterday I had loose stools. I didn't feel any urinary symptoms today but felt some burning/itching. Pretty sure I have some kind of infection (not uti). The doc did a quick dip test for the urine said it was negative and very clear, but would send out the culture anyway. She also cultured for yeast and bacterial vaginosis. I probably got something from 2 weeks of a/b's. She thinks I have bv. Anyways I have scripts for diclofan and metrogel. I don't think I'll take either until I get the culture results back.

Have you tried yeast arrest from whole foods

It is homeopathic

I am taking it now (insertion) just to prevent yeast etc

It can help as does boric a is supplements for bv

Good luck

Thanks jackson. Are you taking the yeast arrest for a yeast infection? Let me know if it works. I tried monistat recently and it really burned. I had to stop it. I'm not sure in monistat changed their ingredients or I'm now more sensitive. I'm still waiting for the culture results.

Yes I am using it! It is irritating me but I will continue to use it for several more days

I might have a low grade yeast issue

After this I will try the boric acid

It really helps quickly

I am a mess anyway so more irritation doesn't even matter lol

I could never ever use Monistat!

Did you mean that the yeast arrest is really helping you? That's good news. I might have to try that instead of diflacan if I have a yeast infection. Let me know if the y.a. makes it go away. The two courses of antibiotics screwed me up. Thanks.

Anyone ever have burning pain into their flanks and rib cage in the back?  My IC and vulvodynia is flaring and now I have bad pain in my mid back.  I'm worried about my kidneys and having some sort of infection or stones/sludge.  I did a store bought AZO test today and it came back negative.  Seeing Gyn NP tomorrow.  Hoping it's muscle/rib cage pain or IC and not kidney issues...ugh :sick:  Wonder if the benzo recovery is still affecting everything as well.