Important Survey - Please Participate ×

6-12 month thread....

[Co...]

Sky, I'm so sorry -- you're having a miserable time of it.  No Spanish for a week.  Hang on.  Hopefully this will pass soon. 

Coop, I'm so glad you're catching a break, things are quiet.  Except for your head pressure.  That's one sx, I do get it, but it's minor for me.  (I'm nervous to say that.  I don't want to get it.  And we seem to be on the same track these days)

Peace, you know how I feel about the ADs.  But I think you should consider what Mommy had to say, also.  Ultimately, this is your decision.

Feel better, everyone.

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [Gr...]

• [No...]

• [pe...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having a major flare in anxiety and I'm home alone with my kids for the next 4 hours. Something weird is going on. My symptoms have been pretty steady until a few days ago. Strong tinnitus and depression. Now, huge anxiety, headache, stomach upset. Just have to get through the next 4 hours.

Is this withdrawal?!?! At 8.5 months?!?

Prayers are welcome. Going to try some chamomile tea.

Peace2

I'm having a major flare in anxiety and I'm home alone with my kids for the next 4 hours. Something weird is going on. My symptoms have been pretty steady until a few days ago. Strong tinnitus and depression. Now, huge anxiety, headache, stomach upset. Just have to get through the next 4 hours.

Peace2

Yes, it is withdrawal. 8.5 - 9.5 months is common to experience a "wave". Many have said it has included symptoms from a while ago, like anxiety, nausea, head pressure, dizziness, etc. Totally normal, in my opinion :)

Anxiety CANNOT hurt you, it just feels blechy :) You're doing great, sweetie! This will pass also.

Peace, regarding depression, I know you're considering some options. Have you looked into some natural routes as a possibility? I used to coach weight loss, and alongside that, nutrition and supplementation. From research, magnesium had positive results with clinical depression. I use magnesium glycinate (Doctor's Best brand), however I've read of others using other chelate amino acid blends with success. Another buddy on this site who is wonderfully scientifically minded is Aweigh. If you PM'ed him, he might have some good insights on what blend might work best for depression.

I've also seen some benefits to using b vitamins also. I know they carry a bit of a "cautious" reputation, as they can rev some folks a bit if taken in excess. However, they can certainly help boost mood -- and I've experienced this myself personally. My own personal opinion has been that if one uses a natural based vitamin b-complex, with low and gentle doses if vitamin b's, it can be quite helpful. Nutrilite (an Amway product) makes a very nice low-dose, natural b-complex that I like very much. I've also used one of their "energy" drinks that is caffeine free, but uses a blend of b-vitamins & herbs to boost mood & energy naturally. The brand is "XS". I'll drink 1/4 - 1/2 can in a day, and like its benefits.

A couple others that might help could be omega-3's in higher doses, or CoEnzyme Q-10 (30-60-90mg/day is common daily doses that the bottles recommend). Some have also seen benefits from using probiotic for depression as well.

Again, everyone is different, so whatever you decide is up to you! :) The root of this is withdrawal, so whether or not you will benefit from something is probably going to be trial-and-error ;) Whatever you decide for you is cool, sweets!! You know you best :)

I believe that no matter what you do, you are going to heal 100% buddy :) You're doing great!! This ain't no easy task, but we are doing it :) Take care, you will be fine today :)

Mrs. :smitten:

Oh, and PS -- I love chamomile tea!! :)

Hi Everyone,

Just checking in here.  I'm so sorry to see that some of you are having a rough time.  Peace I do so hope the depression lifts for you soon.  I will include in my prayers along with others.  Coop and Green --- sounds like both of you are doing better and steadily improving --- that's so great!

I'm having a rough time off and on.  My wd pattern as of late is 1 1/2 days sick, 1 1/2 days good.  It's so bizarre how I can feel so healthy and happy (albeit a tad tired and with the need for rest) and feel it switch over slowly to extreme illness and pain.  The pain is beyond imagination and I hang on for dear life during those hours.  It's nerve pain in my legs and knees, neck pain and my head feels locked up --- right about when I feel like I can't take it anymore it begins to lift --- first my head eases up then all the pain goes away and I feel pretty good.  Then 28-30 hours later I get sick again and feel flu like with the pain.  I get the chills sometimes, sometimes anxiety, I'll feel like death is welcome.  It's unbelievable.

I did get re-tested for lyme with just the ELISA test and it came back negative.  My rife doctor says I still have two lyme frequencies in my body and some malaria.  Who knows.  I see a top neurologist in early Nov.

This morning this was bizarre --- in a book on the Gerson method to heal from illness they mention using a combination of aspirin, niacin and vit C for controlling pain.  I was taking that combo and felt burning after it one day a few days ago.  Well, this morning after taking it, my upper body started to burn and my face and arms got bright red and itchy.  It must have been an allergic reaction or the niacin.  No more of that.

Well off to distract with artwork and tv in bed.

I hope we all feel better soon.  Love to you all,

Lisa 

Peace2

Yes, Yes.. it is withdrawal.  You having what I call a spike.  It is how I spent months 4-8.  I would be fine and then an opera singer would go off in my head and I would be on the verge of hysteria.  I would usually last 4-5 hours.  I had to get up and away from it, but I usually had friends to help with that. 

Can you get away by talking to someone?  Has your friend moved to town yet.  I had a sunshine friend who would coax me out.  Turn the tv on for the kids if not.  I also would do the dishes and with each on I would pray for you guys...haha.  OR I would list thing I was thankful for.  Sometimes I found myself going faster and faster.. It rev rev.

The spike will end.. divide your time.  Make it from 30min to 30 min.

Thanks Mrs and MommyR-

My symptoms are really changing rapidly this week. I feel anxious depressed exhausted and at the same time a calm and clarity. It's unnerving.

I am hesitant to try anything because of my track record. I'm also hesitant to let the depression go unchecked. I hope this is all withdrawal. I'm just not sure what the way forward is. I am exercising and trying to stay in conversation with people. I am craving silent, staring at the wall time in my bed. That feels like depression to me and the tiniest task feels insurmountable. How do people do this? I feel like I'm hitting a wall.

I appreciate your thoughtful responses.

Hanging on,

Peace2

Lisa-

It sounds like you're seeing some solid improvements, but still a mixed bag of good and bad days. How wonderful that you're getting breaks from the symptoms. I'm glad your Lyme test came back negative and you're headed to a neurologist soon. Hopefully you'll find some answers there. The neurologist I saw blamed the benzos. It will be interesting to see what your neurologist thinks. Hopefully you're feeling better and better by then. How are your art cards coming along?

Peace2

Peace...I hope your depression lifts soon enough that you don't have to consider ADs...but only you hoe much you can tolerate. I know from your posts over the months that you are stony as steel. I have also listened to the Siren song of " there must be SOMETHING out there to stop this misery "...Like you I am sensitive to everything under the sun. My brother just went through ADs in the matter of 6 weeks trying to get on one that he could tolerate. He ended up with serotonin syndrome and has gone through absolute hell. Other meds are a crape shoot. Often you have to go through several to hit the one that doesn't make things worse. On the other hand nobody can go very long in major ot clinical depression. If your depression lifts at all from time to time it would seem w/d related. If you can wait you you could save yourself another w/d in the future..  Only you can know what is right for you. We are here to support you no matter what. ...Depression stinks...it is awful...but the depression of w/d heals. My heart is with you Peace....wishing you some relief...love to you dear friend....coop

Thanks, Coop.

I'm so sorry about your brother's experience. It's exactly the kind of thing I'm hoping to avoid. I hope he's doing a bit better and is finding something that provides relief. All these mental symptoms are just awful and hard to see through. I really hope researchers are working on a different paradigm about 'mental illness'. Is there any other dis-ease where the common treatments often make the symptoms so much worse?

I hope your head pressure resolves. It sounds like many of your symptoms have let up and your taking a relaxed approach to life, not pushing too hard. That's probably good for all of us.

One more day

Peace2

Lisa and Peace....I hit tough times in months 8 up to 10. Peace..my worst wave after month 6 was month 9...it felt like acute all over again for about a month ( dome days better than ever. Noe at just about month 10 ( Oct 3) I am experienccing exactly what Lisa is ...one day of bright sunbreaks and even windows.. feel healed...the next day...head pressure. buzzing..headaches. .early wake ups....moderate anxiety and some health fears. ..Because so many of us who are in the last 3 months of year one are having essentially the same experiencevI can reassure myself ( when my rational self is the line leader) that it is w/d. When one of the misbehavers is hijacking the hoped for linear healing I resort to my acute tool box...DISTRACTION distraction distraction...going outside..epsome salts lavender hot baths.. BBs...bad bad mindless Tv ( I still have infrequent times of not being able to concentrate) and cleaning cleaning cleaning ( guess that's distraction). ...I know how discouraging it is to get mowed form by a wave this far out. Peace.. after my last very long wave ( month 9) I mostly have only short ( but intense) waves now usually half/whole day followed by a better day like Lisa. In a wavy day I think it has gone on forever because it feels so bad then I look on my 'window ' log and can see that just a day or 3 or 3 previous was a good day. I can not connect to this information very well in a wave ..only in the cognitive. and it doesn't help a lot ( reinforces my belief that we are unable to ' talk our selves out ' of a wave). For me the only thing that gets me out of a wave is enduring and surviving it with my few little go to-s. ....

....I hope you both feel better as the day goes along....I sm thinking of you both .....coop

Thanks Coop. I wish I could embrace the windows and waves idea. But I don't really get windows, every once in awhile. But mostly I just have a cycling of unrelenting symptoms. Two weeks ago I had something like a window. It was nice. I long for those window times to show me I really am healing and not just treading water in the unknown. I know no one can reassure me. But I certainly appreciate the kind efforts.

I'm glad you're getting consistent breaks. I hoped things would be clearly better at this point because of what Life's addiction doc said. When it doesn't happen, it leads me to think something else is going on. And even if it is, I guess the goal is the same. Just keep going until you absolutely can't and then seek help.

Hope you have a nice weekend.

Peace2

Peace...I am so sorry...I know the feeling of " there is not enough reassurance in all the world ". I go to that exact same place with head pressure and anxiety. I also get to a place ( every other day...every other hour on some days) of " this just had to be something else...then I am tumbling helplessly into the anxiety pit. ...You are right...there are no fixes...just keep moving forward until it gets better...or doesn't. I have read other who do not get sunbreaks/windows too. In month 8/9 mine were about 20 days apart and only lasted 24 hours. I have only had 1 window that lasted 2 days. ...Whatever you do Peace we are behind you.

...Have you heard from Life? I am missing him and hoping all is well with him.

.....Godspeed Peace.          Coop

Hi Peace, I wanted to let you know what I do for severe anxiety - it helps me. I listen to a tape on youtube - Stop Stress and Anxiety by Thomas Hall. It is mild hypnosis - his voice tells you that you are relaxed, the voice tells you that you are walking down a beautiful staircase into a garden and so on. When I sense that the bad anxiety is coming on, I go lie down and put the ear phones on - I play the tape (22 min). The first time, I don't relax much so I keep playing it until the anxiety goes away - it takes a few plays for me to calm down. With this tape, you can sit up and get up any time - it is not like hypnosis in the movies. I find that the counting down works for me. If the anxiety is really bad or if I am getting ready for bedtime, I use "Free Can't Sleep Insomnia Relief Hypnosis", also youtube. This is 50 min with several count downs and guided images. I am usually asleep by the end of the tape.

We are all suffering so much. If anybody remembers if they had more hope after month six, please let me know. I am having a bad time and feel like there is no way out. Thanks.

~Allie

Coop --- I can't connect to the good feelings either when in a wave.  The pattern is unrelenting.  The nerve pain is awful.  My husband gets so scared along with me.  Then it'll break slowly over 1-3 hours and I'll feel pretty good.  Today the wave isn't as bad but who knows what'll happen next.  I'm glad you're getting breaks from all this.

Peace --- I'm sorry the depression has hit you so badly.  I'm encouraged that you can have conversations with people. That is really good.  I still have trouble, even on good days, interacting much with people because I get nervous and scared that it's too much for me.  My cards are coming along well.  It's the one thing I can do that makes me feel happy and connected to the world. 

I guess I may be having slight improvements because a few months back I couldn't work on artwork at all.  Also, I used to have 2-3 sick days to about 18-20 hours of decent, so maybe it's getting better.  I'm still so sick on bad days that I can't really tell.

xo to all,

Lisa

Good morning Buddies,

I may be pulling out of this mega-wave that I got hit with these past 2 weeks (fingers crossed!! :thumbsup:).  It's been up and down with varying intensity, but it's been a rough patch for sure.  I can still feel it lurking just under my skin, but it is less intense than it has been and I had a great window last night.  I am hoping this trend continues!  I feel some relief with dropping out of my masters class and I have another month before it starts back up again. 

I hear so many of us wondering is it really is withdrawal or if something else is going on, and I do that too during my waves.  However, how could all of us have such similar symptoms if this wasn't withdrawal?  I've also questioned BB and if the community is damaging in a way, like causing waves somehow and making this process drag on, but reading sites like the Canadian doctor's and realizing that so many of our symptoms line up with what he says...not to mention other benzo-wise doctors that people have posted about.  We all want so badly for this to end and the non-linear component to the healing, not to mention the length of time,  is so disconcerting that it can really cause doubt. 

I hope you all have a day that ends in a bright window!  I am praying for those who are struggling.  I have a volleyball tournament to watch and straight to a football game.  Lots of sports today. 

Love to you all! 

I wish I was able to keep up with this thread, but I just can't.  I think of you all each day, and I wish you continued healing.  I am going through a very difficult personal trial right now, and if I survive it with my mind intact, I will be ready to write a success story here.  In the past few months, I've been feeling mostly healed, but wondering what would happen to me if a crisis emerged.  Well, it has, so I guess this is my test.  I'm hanging in there so far, with my bad old friend anxiety along for the ride.  :laugh:

If any of you pray, I welcome prayers of strength for the journey.  Love to my buddies, every last one of you.

"Floc"

Good morning Buddies,

I may be pulling out of this mega-wave that I got hit with these past 2 weeks (fingers crossed!! :thumbsup:).  It's been up and down with varying intensity, but it's been a rough patch for sure.  I can still feel it lurking just under my skin, but it is less intense than it has been and I had a great window last night.  I am hoping this trend continues!  I feel some relief with dropping out of my masters class and I have another month before it starts back up again. 

I hear so many of us wondering is it really is withdrawal or if something else is going on, and I do that too during my waves.  However, how could all of us have such similar symptoms if this wasn't withdrawal?  I've also questioned BB and if the community is damaging in a way, like causing waves somehow and making this process drag on, but reading sites like the Canadian doctor's and realizing that so many of our symptoms line up with what he says...not to mention other benzo-wise doctors that people have posted about.  We all want so badly for this to end and the non-linear component to the healing, not to mention the length of time,  is so disconcerting that it can really cause doubt. 

I hope you all have a day that ends in a bright window!  I am praying for those who are struggling.  I have a volleyball tournament to watch and straight to a football game.  Lots of sports today. 

Love to you all!

Hello my friends!  :)

It is quite fitting that the first post I read for a few days has been this one. HH I am so sorry that you have gone through this but seem to be coming out of this.  I too am starting to go through a wave after being good for a few days. My stuff is directly related to an outside event or stimulus. I truly love each and every one of you and just want this process to beneficially stop for me as well as everyone else. It is just so maddening with the ups and downs.

I have stayed away from BB by intent. I have been to a "retreat" that teaches that I am responsible for the happiness or unhappiness that I bring into my world. Basically it teaches that everything is stimulus -- belief -- and response.  Change the belief then cahnge the response. In this case the belief that I am helpless to the benzo beast will result in a bad response. "Change the belief" that I can do things about it and hence the response is a better outcome. It kind of goes agiant what BB teaches which is that this is "happening to us".

I do believe that benzo w/d or reactivation is truly "real" . Sometimes I wonder if BB does bring about waves too. I am so torn between believing that we are helpless in a wave and must wait for it to stop and that we are empowered to do something. I am a bit confused because I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. If I am past a year now I must ask what part of this is me and what part is benzos? If I think that it is all benzos then my new concern is that I will render myself hopeless until it passes. I want to believe that "I am doing this to myself" as it implies that I can undo it then.

I think it is a delicate balance and I do think that there are times when BB is great and then there are times when I must stay away. The hard part about staying away is that I truly love this group of friends and I one day see a time when we all meet somewhere in america to meet each other personally. I just want to put this topic out there to see what everyones' thoughts are?

How can I read about the canadian doctor?

Life

Here it is life...his is a quote from pamster

This is from Dr. Meliemis in Canada who specializes in this field

"Post-acute withdrawal usually lasts for 2 years. This is one of the most important things you need to remember. If you are up to the challenge you can get through this. But if you think that post acute withdrawal will only last a few mos., then you will get caught off guard....

How to survive Post Acute Withdrawal

Be patient. Two years can feel like a long time if you are in a rush to get through it. You cant hurry recovery. But you can get through it one day at a time.

If you try to rush your recovery, or resent post-acute withdrawal, or try to bulldoze your way through, you will become exhausted.

Post-acute withdrawal symptoms are a sign that your brain IS recovering. They are the result of your brain chemistry gradually going back to normal, Therefor dont resent them, But remember, even one year, you may only be halfway there.

Go with the flow. Withdrawal symptoms are uncomfortable. But the more you resent them the worse they will seem. you will have lots of good days over the next two years. Enjoy them. You will also have alot of bad days. On those days,dont try to do to much. Take care of yourself,focus on your recovery,and you will get through this.

You will go through days or weeks without symptoms and then one day you will wake up and your withdrawal will hit you like a ton of bricks...if you are not prepared for it, if you think post-acute withdrawal only lasts a few mos., or if you think that you will be different and it will not be as bad for you , then you will get caught off guard. But if you know what to expect you can do this.

Practice self care. Give yourself lots of little breaks over the next two years. Tell yourself "what I am going through is enough". Be good to yourself. That is what you MUST learn in recovery.

Sometimes you will have little energy or enthusiasm for anything. Understand this and do not overbook your life. Give yourself permission to focus on your recovery.".....

Another good reassurance that all of this is normal and that we will all heal....

Take care of yourselves everyone.....m

Sometimes I wonder if BB does bring about waves too

Life,  great to have you back!

I am not sure I understood all you said but that is my benzo brain.

Might bring waves ?  My personal story is so different, I  can't hang out as much on BB . But of course, we are so sensitive we have to be open to this possibility, right ? And when we notice that, we keep away. That is how I see it, if  I understood correctly.

We all seem to get waves at the same time, we have to be open to the idea, but without being extreme about it. If we take nothing else from this experience, and that will  not be the case, it must be to not go to extremes in anything.

About the big doubt, is it me or wd? Why don't we wait till we are 2 years out, the famous two years out, then we will make that sort of consideration. By then we will also be more equipped to do something about it.

I write all my big doubts down for future consultation, for when I heal and can do something about these doubts. We are too sick to have any further concerns than we can handle, we must make our load lighter,  or as light as we can.

I hope I understood what you were talking about.

Btw, you have to read Notsogleeful's conclusions on the thread from yesterday, so encouraging !

Good night to all, wishing you a heart free of all cares. :smitten:

Peace2

Peace, that's exactly what I've been going through for a month.  You may be going into the rapid cycling thing.  Maybe you'll get some breaks.

Thanks Mrs and MommyR-

My symptoms are really changing rapidly this week. I feel anxious depressed exhausted and at the same time a calm and clarity. It's unnerving.

I am hesitant to try anything because of my track record. I'm also hesitant to let the depression go unchecked. I hope this is all withdrawal. I'm just not sure what the way forward is. I am exercising and trying to stay in conversation with people. I am craving silent, staring at the wall time in my bed. That feels like depression to me and the tiniest task feels insurmountable. How do people do this? I feel like I'm hitting a wall.

I appreciate your thoughtful responses.

Hanging on,

Peace2

Tiniest task insurmountable. That's major anxiety. It's okay.  Just do any tiny tasks.  I mean it  I couldn't clean my house for months.  Dishes and bathrooms, when I had to.  That's what I get excited when I hear about people cleaning.

Peace, if this is rapid cycling, that can be uncomfortable, but it cycles quickly, I'm more functional with rapid cycling. Hope that's what it is.

I wish I was able to keep up with this thread, but I just can't.  I think of you all each day, and I wish you continued healing.  I am going through a very difficult personal trial right now, and if I survive it with my mind intact, I will be ready to write a success story here.  In the past few months, I've been feeling mostly healed, but wondering what would happen to me if a crisis emerged.  Well, it has, so I guess this is my test.  I'm hanging in there so far, with my bad old friend anxiety along for the ride.  :laugh:

If any of you pray, I welcome prayers of strength for the journey.  Love to my buddies, every last one of you.

"Floc"

I do pray, and I'll pray for you.  Good luck. :smitten:

Does BB cause waves?  Are we psychologically infecting each other?  I've wondered about this, whether I would do better off the site. 

For me, no, I don't think so.  When I have waves I tend to disappear from the site anyway, suffer alone.  That's my way.  And for me, the worst is over. I know it is.  It's simply a matter of waiting, letting the time for healing pass, maybe a couple more big waves, and they're much more manageable now.  I'm looking at that two year timeline.  I do better, like Coop, if I'm not in a hurry, if I don't have a timeline that gets smashed every time I have a hard symptom. 

I'm a lot more functional than I was, I know I'm getting better.  But I have a ways to go, and I like coming here for support when I have a bad time, and to help the people behind me, who are really suffering, just like I was when things were really bad.  I think extending a helping hand to another BB helps me feel much better than I would if I were doing this on my own.

There are probably lots of people who thought they were better off on their own.  Some of them stop by sometimes and check in.

That's my take.

I had a good day today. In spite of no sleep last night, nausea and heavy head pressure, and severe a.m. diarrhea, I took my bike out for a long ride by the beach.  It was a beautiful fall day and I felt very glad to be alive.  That's new, that's positive.  For so long I haven't felt much of anything. I saw the beautiful sky and sun and beach, and I felt so much gratitude, I'm not in a window, still wavy, but very grateful because I know I'm getting better, I know we're all getting better, every day.  And I was so grateful that I could push through symptoms and it turned out okay.

Lisa and Peace, you're right behind me.  This is coming for you.  You are going to feel joy, you are going to get your lives back.  Just hang on a little longer.  The longer periods of feeling better are coming.  I was there today. 

Sky, hang in there, it's been tough for you, you're going to get a break soon.

At my house we're talking about how we'll know it's time for me to go to the hospital. I can't believe it. I'm going to try to relax and get out of this. I am scared of how I feel but not scared I'm in danger. I know they can't help me there. So, I'm white knuckling and wishing the damn dr would come back and this thing would leave. It's a weird combo of anxious depression but I know I've been here before and gotten through. This should be the same....

Prayers are appreciated,

Peace2

At my house we're talking about how we'll know it's time for me to go to the hospital. I can't believe it. I'm going to try to relax and get out of this. I am scared of how I feel but not scared I'm in danger. I know they can't help me there. So, I'm white knuckling and wishing the damn dr would come back and this thing would leave. It's a weird combo of anxious depression but I know I've been here before and gotten through. This should be the same....

Prayers are appreciated,

Peace2

Making chili and every stir has your name on it.  Keep us posted.  Try to name anything the anxiety or dp is attached too and knock it off your plate. 

Prayers are appreciated,

Peace2

Peace, I am so sorry that you are feeling this way... It is so hard to go through the depression.It is by far teh worst symptom for me. I know as I have been dealing with it on and off.  I feel it is my responsibility to tell you what I did in terms of adjunct therapy that helped my depression in very impressive way. I had to reinstate the Gabapentin dose. I take a real small dose of 300 mg and it helps tremendously. I just thought since you were asking about adjuncts I would tell you what I did. God bless you and I have said a prayer.

Life