Can't sleep all night - Please help!

[8d...]

As bad as not sleeping is for the body, in my opinion adding drugs is worse.

I could not agree more.

I had trouble sleeping because my anxiety was out of control due to a lot of big life events. I couldn't sleep, and I got desperate. Asked my doctor for something, and she gave me Zopiclone. Worst decision of my life.

Good thing I guess is, I only took it for 4 months.

Now I have to find my way back. I feel like something was taken away from me, and I need to have it back.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [8d...]

• [Wo...]

• [ba...]

• [ga...]

The driving issue is an interesting one.  Most would say if you are exhausted you should not be driving because you might nod off at the wheel.  For those of us who cannot sleep...are you going to fall asleep when behind the wheel.  I have a heightened sense of alertness when driving and the last thing I would do is fall asleep driving.  Never been one to nod off, especially when driving.  Not saying it Is a good idea to drive in this condition...but most likely you will not fall asleep in the short distance you drive to the gym.  If you don't like that option getting out and taking a walk will work.  You must do this, or something, no matter how poorly you feel.  It will aide in helping you fall asleep at night.  Suck it up and just do it is my motto.

I'm trying to get off all meds, and sleeplessness is the main obstacle in my way.

One thing I'm sure of is that nobody can realisitcally expect to stop taking sedatives and get their normal sleep routine back right away.  It'll take a period of time to reset the body's natural systems after full cessation.

B :)

so very true Benzoid, but i am a good example that it can be done, no meds,

a ''sleeping time table'', it was hard work and took a lot of patience .

after excausting 11 months sleep returned and now i get 8-10 hours  every night.

it was worth the effort i can assure you. ;)

Just curious if you had problems with sleep leading into taking these meds.  I certainly did and maybe that is why I am still having difficult periods of insomnia.  May never get to "normal" but I will take nights of 5 to 6 hours.

Just curious if you had problems with sleep leading into taking these meds.  I certainly did and maybe that is why I am still having difficult periods of insomnia.  May never get to "normal" but I will take nights of 5 to 6 hours.

if you are asking me garton, yes...i took the benzo for insomnia due to irregular

night-duties , my sleep was so messed up in the end, so instead of working day-duties

i started taking this poison .

changing ones living circumstances can work wonders i guess.

I'm not sure if I'd say I had insomnia in the past. I'm a night owl, so I would stay up until 4-5am, and then wake up at 12-1pm in the afternoon. I'm self-employed, and these hours worked perfectly for my job, so I did that for about 7-8 years.

In October, I got married, and my wife works in the mornings. I was forced to change my schedule, and drive her to work at 8am. Needless to say, that was a huge shock for me. Then there were other things that came up that made me anxious. I had lived with my parents all my life, and being away from them had me feeling down.

I was also having trouble adjusting to living in the new house, with a new person. Sleeping at night started getting tough. Just couldn't seem to fall asleep, and when I finally would, I wouldn't get much sleep. Would end up falling asleep for a couple of hours in the parking lot after I drove my wife to work.

Ended up seeing the doctor and getting the Zopiclone. Such a careless move by my doctor, and a stop decision by me.

In the past, when I was going on vacation, or had something big going on the next day, I would sometimes not be able to sleep at all. However, the following night, I'd be out cold!

But now, I'm at the point where if I don't take a pill, I don't sleep. I can't help but think that is a result of being dependent on it, both physically and psychologically. I try to argue this to my pyschologist, and says it might be all in my mind. Might be my anxiety. To me, any issues I might have had with sleep, have been hugely exacerbated by taking meds.

Am I crazy, or does this seem sensible?

You aren't crazy. It's not in your mind. It's the pills. If it were me I would stop taking anything and let my sleep sort itself out over time.

Hope you feel better soon.

You aren't crazy. It's not in your mind. It's the pills. If it were me I would stop taking anything and let my sleep sort itself out over time.

Hope you feel better soon.

I'm worried that if I just go cold turkey off Seroquel, I'm going to face some nasty rebound insomnia.

Also worried that if I am not using Seroquel, I might have some issues from the Zopiclone I CT'd 2 weeks ago.

Any thoughts on this?

I would personally want to get off of all meds and let my body adjust.  That's just me though and I am no expert and most on this board aren't either.  You have to do what you feel is right for you.  You may have to tough out the lack of sleep for quite some time.  Just the nasty rebound insomnia that goes along with this garbage.  If there is a will there is a way. 

Could you taper off the seroquel? Probably someone else here would know more than I do about that. Antipsychotics would scare me even more than benzos though to be honest.

If it were me I'd get off it as soon as possible and wait to recover.

If you've been taking Seroquel for any length of time, yes, you MUST taper not cold turkey. It changes our brain chemistry so only makes sense to give your brain time to acclimate when you taper. I took it for years.

Meanwhile, magnesium glycinate. Helps my sleep, anxiety, w/d issues, and orchestrates over 300+ other enzymatic/metabolic functions. Most of us are deficient and don't know it. Don't take my word for it, though - google it or read up at www.gotmag.org . After all, we need to address the underlying issues for anxiety that we experienced in the first place, before reaching for pharmaceuticals because once we stop the meds, those issues will still be there. For me, it was severe mineral depletion.

:smitten:

If you've been taking Seroquel for any length of time, yes, you MUST taper not cold turkey. It changes our brain chemistry so only makes sense to give your brain time to acclimate when you taper. I took it for years.

Meanwhile, magnesium glycinate. Helps my sleep, anxiety, w/d issues, and orchestrates over 300+ other enzymatic/metabolic functions. Most of us are deficient and don't know it. Don't take my word for it, though - google it or read up at www.gotmag.org . After all, we need to address the underlying issues for anxiety that we experienced in the first place, before reaching for pharmaceuticals because once we stop the meds, those issues will still be there. For me, it was severe mineral depletion.

:smitten:

I tried cutting the 50mg (2 pills) down to roughly 37.50 (1.5 pills) last night.

Took me a long time to fall asleep, and when I did, I felt like I popped right back up. Was in and out all night. Very poor sleep, and feel drained right now.

When cutting down a dose, is it normal to not be able to sleep initially? Does it take time to adjust to the new dose? Did I cut too much, and I need to go up?

I really would like to try cutting it by halves, so want to know if it sounds like I'm doing this right.

Also, for only being on it 2 weeks, does it sound reasonable to try weaning off over a period of two weeks?

And lastly, do you guys think that I will still feel any withdrawal from the Zopiclone I was taking two weeks ago (CT after 4 months)?

Thank you all again :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Damien,

it makes me feel bad to see you have bad insomnia :( i have some trouble sleeping sometimes too i change sleeping locations this seems to help me like last night i slept on a soft bed then i switched to a bed that has a very firm mattress in between i was awake a few hours i played a few video games and i went to the store at 4am

sometimes i even reloacte to the sofa i dress very lightly to slep because of the summer heat

i really hope you recover ok damien i wish you well,

katie

Right now, I'm not sure what I should do.

I've been off the Zopiclone since May 4, but been on the Seroquel since.

Seroquel is only getting me 4-6 hours of sleep per night, and it's not restful.

I'm wondering if I should stay on it in case the Zopiclone WD is still affecting me, or if I should try to get off the Seroquel.

I think if your not happy taking the Seroquel it is time to try something different.  You will be happier once you can find a way to get some sleep off meds.  Not easy and you have to be prepared for difficult nights.  It can be done.  You just have to take it as it comes without letting the anxiety get out of control.  You will survive without sleep.

I think if your not happy taking the Seroquel it is time to try something different.  You will be happier once you can find a way to get some sleep off meds.  Not easy and you have to be prepared for difficult nights.  It can be done.  You just have to take it as it comes without letting the anxiety get out of control.  You will survive without sleep.

Agreed. But I do have to taper off this drug... So if 50mg isn't putting me to sleep, how do I get down to 0?

I would say if 50 mg. is not letting you sleep then 0 couldn't be any worse.  I think once off the drugs you will feel empowered and hopefully in time start getting some sleep.  No doubt it is very difficult process to go through...but can be done.  Be patient is the best advice I can offer. 

Has anyone here had sleep problems prior to taking the benzos. Like sleep onset, where your anxiety keeps you up?

This was the reason  I was put on ssri's and ultimately the Ativan and restoril.  I had anxiety at bedtime that resulted in me not being able to sleep.  Wasn't every night but it certainly was an issue when I knew I had activities scheduled the following day.  I tried counseling, bio=feedback, all kinds of OTC meds with not a whole lot of luck.  So THen ultimately the psychiatrist placed me on a high dose of celexa along with ambien.  Long tem that was not a good mix.  I eventually couldn't work and was placed on the benzo's ...high doses.  Yeah..I got occasional sleep but I was drugged!  Started having some lousy side effects.  Eventually, I realized this was not going to get me back to work.  I had to suck it up and get off the drugs.  Well here I am back to work, still not sleeping as well as I would like but at least only using the OTC sleep meds.  I know I am MUCH better off not being drugged and dealing with the tough nights...one night at a time.  SO WHAT if I am exhausted and tired some days. I will survive and move on hoping for a better day tomorrow.  I think this is the healthiest attitude for me to get on with my life.

Last night I took 50mg Seroquel at 1:15am and was out at about 2am.

Woke up at 3:45am with intense burning running through my upper body.

Could not get back to bed.

Anyone ever experience this?