Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Can't sleep all night - Please help!

[8d...]

I've been taking magnesium citrate (3 x 150mg) in the morning. I then take 5HTP 3 times throughout the day.

I just need a way to counter the sleeplessness of the Zopiclone withdrawal.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [8d...]

• [Wo...]

• [ba...]

• [ga...]

I've been taking magnesium citrate (3 x 150mg) in the morning. I then take 5HTP 3 times throughout the day.

I just need a way to counter the sleeplessness of the Zopiclone withdrawal.

I might suggest that taking it in the morning is counter productive. It may relax you during the morning and early afternoon but by nighttime you may not get a benefit. It will probably still be benefitting you in other ways but for sleep specifically it needs to be on an empty stomach about 30 minutes before bed.

450mg of magnesium citrate half hour before bed?

What are your thoughts on the HTP5?

Also, I hear that B complex is good.

Any suggestions?

450mg of magnesium citrate half hour before bed?

What are your thoughts on the HTP5?

Also, I hear that B complex is good.

Any suggestions?

I take 500mg of magnesium glycenate. Citrate gives me digestive issues but if it doesn't bother you I'm sure that is a fine dose. HTP5 is for serotonin. So long as you aren't taking an SSRI that's probably fine but I don't know how it impacts sleep. B vitamins are good. If your pee is clear then you could probably use additional Bs. If it is yellow then probably isn't necessary. Don't take them near bedtime though because though some of them are linked to relaxation they are generally considered good for energy production.

Does Magnesium Oxide work? Citrate also gives my stomach issues.

Just went to see a new pdoc. He believes the symptoms are likely from the zopiclone interdose withdrawal.

He suggested I keep up with the CBT, and seeif I make any progress there. He said mindfulness is another option, but should be done separately from CBT. Any thoughts on this?

As for drugs, he said I can try tapering the Zopiclone. Suggested going from 7.5mg to 5mg to see if I sleep. A bit scared to do the drop.

He also said that an SSRI could be a consideration if I'm not making progress with therapy.

Were you on Cipralex and Zopiclone at the same time? I'm ideally hoping the Cipralex would help me to get away from Zopiclone, but not sure how realistic that is.

Any suggestions?

too much magnesium can work as a laxative so watch out!

Oh trust me, I know!

But that I can deal with. I hate how low Zopiclone makes you feel.

Sitting here right now, I feel shakey, cold and hot, anxious, depressed...

Is this normal, or are these underlying problems that I have now that aren't caused by the medicine?

Does Magnesium Oxide work?

It is the worst form of magnesium. Gylcinate is the best though it is a bit more expensive.

Were you on Cipralex and Zopiclone at the same time? I'm ideally hoping the Cipralex would help me to get away from Zopiclone, but not sure how realistic that is.

Yes. But SSRIs never really helped me. And I had the brain zaps something horrible. I don't know how much of it was zop vs the cip.

Trying a taper from 7.5mg to 6.25mg tonight.

Going to take some melatonin to hopefully help with the sleep a bit.

Have to calm my anxiety about this before bed.

While tapering from zopiclone, did you ever have nights where you did not sleep at all? I've had nights where the zopiclone did not work.

While tapering from zopiclone, did you ever have nights where you did not sleep at all? I've had nights where the zopiclone did not work.

I'm the type of person that really likes a challenge and I was quite excited about the prospect of getting all of these poisons out of my system and feeling normal again. For that reason I was one of the lucky ones who managed to taper off without much difficulty. You are correct that anxiety plays a huge role in this. It is why you need to create the perfect environment for sleep (complete darkness, fresh sheets, white noise if you like that, etc.). Don't get into bed until you are yawning like crazy. Don't worry about bed. If you can't sleep don't stress about it. Just get out of bed and relax somewhere in your house. It is hard to change your mindset but embrace the challenge and don't get frustrated. Every minute you don't sleep your brain is making adjustments so that you will be better able to sleep the next night. Remember that. Be positive.

I need to be stronger. I need to stop thinking I'm going to fail at this. Your words are inspiring.

I worry that I will not sleep, and with the zopiclone in my system, I will not be functional tomorrow. I also have thoughts of giving up on life because I can't handle this. But I have to remind myself I have so many good things.

I'm wondering if I should have something like Trazadone or Diazepam in place before I start this taper.

So confused and anxious.

I also have thoughts of giving up on life because I can't handle this. But I have to remind myself I have so many good things.

I've had those thoughts too. I'm in a really good place now and you will be too.

I'm wondering if I should have something like Trazadone or Diazepam in place before I start this taper

If an OTC antihistamine doesn't work for you then traz won't. It didn't put me to sleep anyway. Valium could be an option for you if you can't taper directly from zop.

Make your bed as comfortable as possible and enjoy being in it. Don't worry about sleep. Just enjoy the comfort of being in bed and repeat phrases like "calm" and "peace" in your head. If you can't sleep DO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT. And don't stay in bed. It is very important to make your bed a place for sleep only. Do not spend hours in bed tossing and turning. Your brain will associate bed with tossing and turning. If you can't sleep then leave your bed. Over time your mind will get it that bed is for sleep and not for worrying about things.

Cut down to about 6.25mg last night, plus took 10mg sublingual melatonin. Put me out for about 6-6.5 hours, with a wakeup or two. Not the best sleep, not the worst.

I'm not sure how long I should stay at 6.25 before doing another cut, possibly to 5mg. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm just using a pill cutter from the pharmacy, and it's impossible to cut quarters of the 5mg pill. They're all different sizes. Any suggestions on how to do that? Do I need a scale?

I used a file and just estimated. I don't think a scale is needed for a zop cut. I did my cuts on Fridays as I didn't care so much about a bad night sleep. Congrats on the sleep last night. I only get 7 hours per night so you aren't doing too bad.

10mg melatonin is widely considered too much. Typically anything beyond 1mg is considered excessive though I do use 3mg tabs. Maybe break the tens in half.

Oh, good to know.

So 3-5mg is a better range for the melatonin?

Also, should I be taking the melatonin at the same time as the Zop? I take Zop 15-20 mins before I plan to be in bed. I spend that 15-20 mins just relaxing with my wife.

Wondering if it might be better to use something like Sleep EZ, where it has melatonin, valerian, hops, etc. Thoughts?

Also, at the current cut (6.25mg), what do you think is a reasonable time to hold before going down? A week? A few days?

Anything input would be appreciated.

Also, I'm feeling anxious and a bit low today. Could that be at all connected to the cut?

Random question...

If I just stop taking the Zopiclone, and use Ativan for a few weeks, could this work?

Would I get the Zopiclone out of my system?

Just thinking until I get an SSRI or something going, I'd rather be using something that helps the anxiety.

Any suggestions?

Random question...

If I just stop taking the Zopiclone, and use Ativan for a few weeks, could this work?

Would I get the Zopiclone out of my system?

Just thinking until I get an SSRI or something going, I'd rather be using something that helps the anxiety.

Any suggestions?

Ativan is very similar to zopiclone. It has a short half life. Not a good idea IMHO.

Also, should I be taking the melatonin at the same time as the Zop? I take Zop 15-20 mins before I plan to be in bed. I spend that 15-20 mins just relaxing with my wife.

I've read between 90 and 30 minutes before bed. I typically do an hour.

Was tired going to bed last night, so just tried 5mg of melatonin. An hour later, there was no sleep unfortunately :(

Ended up taking 1mg of Lorazepam, and eventually fell asleep.

Been having some really depressed feelings lately. When you were going through your bout, did you deal with depression?

Having used Ativan for relaxation and to help me sleep I can state, from my perspective, it helped me fall asleep intermittently.  However, I started to depend on it for sleep and anxiety.  Huge mistake looking back.  This drug remedies some of the issues you are currently going through but in the long run will increase your anxiety.  VERY hard to get off of.  I am 10 months off now and still dealing with occasional sleep issues.  Very frustrating, but still better than having to rely on any benzo.  I just try to take a so what attitude if I don't sleep well. I can function, albeit feeling lousy, the following day.  I will survive and hopefully sleep better the next night.  If not, repeat and try again.  Eventually you will get some rest.

Best of luck.  I currently use benydryl and unisom...probably more of a crutch than actually helping me sleep.

I wish I could sleep with benadryl and unisom.

I don't understand why it doesn't do a think for me. Even Remeron doesn't put me out. Just makes me a bit drowsy.

With the way my anxiety is going, and this depression I now seem to have, I'm thinking it might be time to give an SSRI and chance.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Not sure what's happening, but the last few days I've felt really depressed and anxiety. Feeling like I don't want to go on.

Can Zopiclone do this to you???

damien you should try taking a long hot tub temperature bath in the evening 8-10pm soak in the tub for 20-30 minutes aroma therapy works wonders too i put a few drops of lavendar oil in the bath water i have a dim light above the sink the light off above the shower so i can relax better.

theres some other supplments you can try to help relax you it takes away some of my xanax withdrawls chamomille tea, cinnoman tea or capsules , even b complex nanners or potassium,  r i  , vitamin b 6 is very good for the nervous system you can find all those vitamins at wallmart or dollar general for $3-$5 each  i hope this can help you. i put some tissue in my ear to stuf out noises and i leave  a fan on and put a few drops of lavendar oil on my neck at bedtime , i hope this helps you damien god bless you ok  (even though you remind me of that evil kid damien from the move The omen  :2funny: )

even b complex

B-complex is good for the nervous system but I'd recommend taking it in the morning as some of the Bs increase energy levels (which is why they include them in energy drinks).

You said you were getting tremors and anxiety from the interdose withdrawal on Zopiclone right?

Also, really important question... If my anxiety and depression have heightened due to Zopiclone, would it be worth it to be considering an antidepressant at this point?

I've tapered down the 7.5 to about 6.5 and just feeling terrible.

Please let me know what you think.