Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

~~The Bedridden Club~~

[...]

Hi pretty

I have never read anything by Ray Peat but I assume he means you take progesterone in relation to your menstrual cycle, presumably for part of it only. I had to do that with HRT.

Just my thought on the matter.

Hugs

LF

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [lo...]

• [La...]

• [ra...]

• [Di...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty, I read your post in horror, omg, I am so sorry that you have to go through this hell..cant even imagine how that must feel like.

I really dont know what to say to comfort or encourage you. :hug:

I think 27 months is not a long time so dont get discouraged.

I dont get what Peat said, if you did not get it imagine how are my chances given that english is not my native language  :laugh:

He is very hard to understand, I suggest you google Dany Roddy, he is the Peat whisperer  :laugh: he has a blog where he describes what Peat actually says. :laugh:

I like Roddy as well, but then again I like very much reading about nutrition because Im a firm believer of let thy food be your medicine and thy medicine be your food. too bad I came to this belief after the benzos. :laugh:

I have found a psychiatrist with a very open mind, he says some very very interesting things about hpa, I will post some links if anybody would like to read, his nickname is DrMariano.

I would never take a med again, but it is nice to see there are md's out there who are aware about all bodily systems being interconnected.

What I learnt reading Dr Marianos posts is that low iron levels may stop hpa resetting, I dont know my iron levels but since I dont eat that much meat can imagine that they dont look great, am going to eat even more unsulphured blackstrap molasses as it has loads of iron.

http://www.definitivemind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560

http://www.definitivemind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130

http://www.definitivemind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133

Thyroid, cholesterol, vitamin A, protein, carbohydrate are all things

that, if deficient, can disturb adrenal function. Progesterone, in

relation to the reproductive functions, should be cycled, but it can

help to normalize both the brain and the adrenals.

Not meant as a contradiction, but from my research its the other way around, adrenal insufficiency disturbs the thyroid, meaning adrenals send messages to thyroid to slow down.

But..adrenals do not become fatigued by themselves for no reason, they malfunction because of the hpa, because the hpa does not transmit the correct message.

I believe that blaming only the thyroid or only the adrenals is an oversimplification.

Hi Verona and LF,

yes Ray Peat is very hard to understand even when i ask him questions in the most direct way. i will get in touch with Danny Roddy, i have before. he is also kinda hard to understand. i do keep up with his blogs and i still have a hard time understanding everything he talks about. when i am better from this benzo withdrawal -- Danny Roddy is someone that i would like to have a consult with. i like the thought of doing everything that has to do with the energy of the cell/mitochondria and stress hormones. i do like Dr. Wilson too and i would combine both of their sayings and methods.

as far as i can make out of what Peat is saying is: you have to keep your own thyroid, cholesterol, vitamin A, protein levels, carbohydrate levels all balanced so as to not disturb the adrenals -- but that does not answer my question that if i supplement with progesterone, will i disturb the HPA axis?

i have a feeling that NH will say to not supplement with progesterone and yes it will disturb the HPA axis, especially while going through benzo withdrawal. it's so hard to know everything right to do while going through this and especially when the brain is constantly being pushed down. who could think? i can f'king think! not at all -- not one bit, can i think. i can't think!!

Verona, i will read those links, thanks! pretty

[51...]
Hi everyone. Looks like I will be part of the bedbound group. My legs gave up this morning and are stiff as rocks. Couldn't walk to the bathroom for the life of me. :( This is really starting to wear down on me. I'm 26, bedbound and recently miserable. I thought I was getting better, but I seem to be getting worse.  I was just laying in bed most of the day before. Now it feels like I am stuck here. Ugh... How do you guys deal?

Verona,

i know you like the works of Ray Peat and i also wanted to share with NH something he said. which of course i never can understand him even when i ask him the most direct question in the world. i asked him if the HPA axis gets disturbed if supplemented with progesterone? because i know he is a big advocate of progesterone. i know he doesn't know anything about benzo withdrawal and what happens to the brain so i do take that into consideration. anyway, so i asked him if the HPA axis gets disturbed if progesterone is supplemented and he said this.

Thyroid, cholesterol, vitamin A, protein, carbohydrate are all things

that, if deficient, can disturb adrenal function. Progesterone, in

relation to the reproductive functions, should be cycled, but it can

help to normalize both the brain and the adrenals.

can anyone tell me what the hell he is talking about? i swear to God, he can never give me a direct answer. so annoying. i still love him though. :smitten:

Pretty,

It is really very tough to be dealing with this continuous vibration and squeezing. Mine was triggered from increased emotional stress and from increased activity it seems. The probiotic did help me, to go to sleep and when I woke up the vibrating was gone.

Pretty at this point, you cannot go back to benzos or any pharmaceuticals in my opinion, and be sure that they are not affecting your brain at all. Even the pain pills you are taking maybe are a possible contributor? Who knows. If they do help you I guess they are useful in your life, but how much is too much no one really knows.

All I am going to say about hormone replacement is this

http://drlwilson.com/articles/hormone%20therapy.htm

I think that there have been cases of folks that fully recovered even after protracted WD lasting a long while, like Polenta for example.

I hope  that you will recover a lot faster, but i think that is more likely to happen by eliminating any factors that are holding you back. Steroid hormones is probably one of them. I think Perseverance has documented this on her posts several times.

Hang in there as best you can, and we are here for you.

NH

Hi everyone. Looks like I will be part of the bedbound group. My legs gave up this morning and are stiff as rocks. Couldn't walk to the bathroom for the life of me. :( This is really starting to wear down on me. I'm 26, bedbound and recently miserable. I thought I was getting better, but I seem to be getting worse.  I was just laying in bed most of the day before. Now it feels like I am stuck here. Ugh... How do you guys deal?

Hello Orion

Sorry you find yourself in this situation. It is hard when you are young. Patience is necessary as is keeping occupied. Internet, tv, radio, anything to keep your mind off your predicament. Have you had your health checked out by a doctor? If that is ok, we just have to make the time pass as best we can, stay positive, and look forward with hope.  I have been in bed 13 months but have just had a breakthrough. No pain, all gone more or less. I am happy!!

Hugs

LF  :smitten:

[51...]

Hello Orion

Sorry you find yourself in this situation. It is hard when you are young. Patience is necessary as is keeping occupied. Internet, tv, radio, anything to keep your mind off your predicament. Have you had your health checked out by a doctor? If that is ok, we just have to make the time pass as best we can, stay positive, and look forward with hope.  I have been in bed 13 months but have just had a breakthrough. No pain, all gone more or less. I am happy!!

Hugs

It is hard. But thank you for your advice. Ever so much! And I'm glad to hear you are finally on the tail end of this thing. :) May the rest of your retirement be free of benzos!

Thanks, orion, I sure hope you get better real soon. You don't want to hang around in this club for too long!!  :crazy:

Onward and upward as they say.

Humour is the best antidote. Laugh a lot, watch comedies, cartoons.

Being in bed is bad enough, may as well make the most of it.  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

This only works when you start to feel a bit better.

Hugs

LF

i swear to God -- if it weren't for my creative/artistic imagination and the fantasies i can conjure up i would have blown off my head a long time ago. i've been bed (couch bound) ridden this whole time! that's 31 months since the c/t and 27 months since the rescue dose. i don't know how much more i can take. thank God for my mind when it's not in a massive wave and those fantasies i conjure up. i need my muscles back -- i have no glute muscles any longer, like flattened pancakes. :o

[51...]

i swear to God -- if it weren't for my creative/artistic imagination and the fantasies i can conjure up i would have blown off my head a long time ago. i've been bed (couch bound) ridden this whole time! that's 31 months since the c/t and 27 months since the rescue dose. i don't know how much more i can take. thank God for my mind when it's not in a massive wave and those fantasies i conjure up. i need my muscles back -- i have no glute muscles any longer, like flattened pancakes. :o

Jeez. That is a looooong time. You are a trooper! :)

Does anyone that is bedridden like this have a bad back? My God my back just kills me always. I have a great mattress also, but laying in bed so many hrs, then sitting on the sofa has to be bad for the back...no excercise, min activity.

I cant be the only one. I wonder if it the Gabapentin taper? I dont know if its muscles or nerves that are hurting so bad.

Hi Orion, sorry that you have to join the club. :(

I felt very weak and ill today but somehow managed to go out for a slow walk for less than 20 minutes and that had a positive effect on me, almost all my pain disappeared.

Does anyone that is bedridden like this have a bad back? My God my back just kills me always. I have a great mattress also, but laying in bed so many hrs, then sitting on the sofa has to be bad for the back...no excercise, min activity.

I cant be the only one. I wonder if it the Gabapentin taper? I dont know if its muscles or nerves that are hurting so bad.

Hi G, I have a bad back, not everyday but when I have a wave my back pain is always there.

Because its not always there I think its not because of sitting too much on the sofa, rather because of an abnormal cortisol pattern, cortisol is an anti inflamatory hormone and because our cortisol rhythms are out of tune we remain with chronic inflammation.

We have lots of chronic inflammation in the wd so no wonder we feel so bad.

Inflammation is also affecting the hpa, without solving the inflammation we might not reset the hpa.

Inflammation is an immune response that is triggered 24/7 and though inflammation is the way the body heals when its 24/7 it becomes toxic.

We have lots of immunologic responses because we are more prone to infections because of the wd which in turn signal ongoing inflammation, digestive problems are also triggering immunologic respone which triggers the 24/7 inflammation.

This ongoing inflammation is one of the worst physical stressor and it is not allowing us to move forward, also almost all diseases arise because of chronic inflammation.

I take turmeric for its anti inflammatory properties and today took some cayenne pepper which gave me a very big boost, I felt as if Ive taken some happy pill.

I hope I make sense with what I write, it is difficult to concentrate in another language.

groove,

can you do a little stretching?

groove,

can you do a little stretching?

Yes PD. I try to stretch as much as i can, its probably not alot, not enough though. Now that i jumped im experiencing alot of akathesia....thats a fun feeling while also so tired and lethargic. Like oil n water!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks

We have all gone quiet in the bedridden club. Is that a good sign or not?

I have not been so good for a while now. The last few days, however, have been better.

20 months off now  ;D

Nerve pain only occasionally now

The fuzziness in my brain has lifted a bit and I feel physically better and stronger. I can stay up for 15-20 minutes at a time and can do a bit more. It is not forced, just feels natural. Don't feel weak. It is my brain which "shuts down" and I have to go back to bed. It feels really good to be up a bit more. I can do little jobs in the house which is lovely.

Hugs, my friends.  :smitten:

Jeez. That is a looooong time. You are a trooper! :)

Hi there

I am in Lapland visiting Santa with my virtual pals - Mensa Cat, Grumpy Cat and Scottie Dog.

We have a beaufiful log cabin, a log fire and the snow is beautiful.

I slept all day yesterday so the elves took care of the little ones.

They met Santa, went for a ride in his sleigh and had great fun.

They are all sound asleep now. (PICS are in my blog.)

Imagination is a wonderful thing. I can feel the snow, and their excitement of meeting Santa.  >:D

Hugs, everyone

Still in bed 14 -15 hrs a day. Just ridiculous. What a way to live. I havent left the house in more then a month either.

I know, it is so hard.  I probably get up 2-3 hours a day all in all.

Last time I was out was in June. I do put out the garbage though,  >:D

It will come all right, we will get better. A year ago I was so ill I could hardly lift my head off the pillow, could not use a computer and was in so much discomfort 24/7.

How were you a year ago?

Hugs

A year ago i was still in bed the same. Ive been this way for a year and 7 months now. My body is so weak. Dont you guys feel weak from it? My God!