Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Thanks so much, Katz - that’s interesting to know. So you found tapering off the true benzos was harder than tapering Ambien? I see from your signature that you tapered Ambien in half the time?…

Just asking as I’m toying with the idea of swapping Ambien for Valium, but I’m worried I’ll be transferring to a more addictive drug… I have terrible tolerance withdrawal from Ambien - anxiety, body aches and burning, sleeplessness etc, but maybe these would be even worse with Valium…

Thanks again

I'm not a fan of crossing over to Valium, like some others, I'm much more afraid of a true benzo than I am of a z-drug.  I quit both Klonopin and Ambien cold turkey and while I don't advise doing this, it worked for me since I have addiction issues.  The Klonopin cold turkey was a months long nightmare, the Ambien was a few days of insomnia.  I was lucky but I know others haven't been so whatever you decide, I hope its the right decision for you.

KtKat Ijust wanted to add that tapering off Ambien was no big deal compared with tapering off benzos. I did a pretty fast Ambien taper but that was just me. I don't advise anyone else do it. And the drug hadn't been helping me sleep for a long time, so I didn't notice much change once it was gone. I'd been trying for months to find an alternative sleep aid . . . so I just continued my search once I got rid of the Ambien.

Hope this helps,

Katz

Thanks again. Could I ask how long you were on each of the drugs prior to tapering?

Katie

Hi Zzers,

I have another tough start of the day. It is raining here. At 13 O’ clock I ‘ll go swimming (It is 12:19 now). At 15 O’ clock a youth friend comes to visit me. I know him since I was six year’s old. I am planning to buy some pie’s for us.

My cat is sleeping on my bed,  I grant him that. Hugggsss Jerry  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hahaahaaa your cat is telling you…hey this is MY bed! Thanks for the laugh Jerry!

Did you enjoy your friend’s visit? Wow that’s a long time knowing him. That’s so awesome. I often wonder how my childhood friends are doing. We will get rain here on Thursday or Friday from tropical storm.

Enjoy your day my friend! Big hugs 🤗

Ha LadyDen,

And yes, my cat is sleeping again on my bed now. Haha. Naughty cat. The visit of my friend was very nice. We talked about old memories. And also about our mental states we are in now, both not very good. He also enjoyed my paintings, which are here in my living room. It is stormy here too. After today it will be more calm. Hugg jerry

Thanks so much, Katz - that’s interesting to know. So you found tapering off the true benzos was harder than tapering Ambien? I see from your signature that you tapered Ambien in half the time?…

Just asking as I’m toying with the idea of swapping Ambien for Valium, but I’m worried I’ll be transferring to a more addictive drug… I have terrible tolerance withdrawal from Ambien - anxiety, body aches and burning, sleeplessness etc, but maybe these would be even worse with Valium…

Thanks again

I'm not a fan of crossing over to Valium, like some others, I'm much more afraid of a true benzo than I am of a z-drug.  I quit both Klonopin and Ambien cold turkey and while I don't advise doing this, it worked for me since I have addiction issues.  The Klonopin cold turkey was a months long nightmare, the Ambien was a few days of insomnia.  I was lucky but I know others haven't been so whatever you decide, I hope its the right decision for you.

I agree that switching to Valium to get off Ambien is not a good idea. IMO I feel that you just taper off and deal with being uncomfortable for a little while. If you cross over to Valium, there’s a lengthy taper as well as tolerance and now you’ll have another WD with perhaps much worse symptoms.

My vote….dry taper the ambien reducing every 10-14 days to a crumb then jump. As You said Pam, most will have rebound insomnia for a bit which gradually gets better. I think having insomnia compared to horrific long list of other symptoms is the better deal.

Thanks ladyden and pamster. The problem is that I have pre-existing head injury symptoms which covid has made more extreme and I’m now bedridden in a dark room and can’t tolerate light at all or barely open my eyes - I haven’t been able to go outside since June. Valium makes these symptoms better as its a vestibular suppressant - that’s why I’m tempted to go on it - but I have no idea whether tolerance will then set in and it will stop working and then I’ll be in a worse situation… The other problem is that lack of sleep makes me very ill as I’m so I’ll anyway, but I guess I just don’t have a choice on that front…

Thanks again

Kkat, I was on Ambien for about 5 years; on (various) benzos for 10.

Best,

Katz

Thanks Katz. I’m just wondering whether your being on Ambien for half the time of the benzos was the reason it was easier to taper?… Or were there more and different withdrawal symptoms with the benzos?

Hi Zzers,

I have another tough start of the day. It is raining here. At 13 O’ clock I ‘ll go swimming (It is 12:19 now). At 15 O’ clock a youth friend comes to visit me. I know him since I was six year’s old. I am planning to buy some pie’s for us.

My cat is sleeping on my bed,  I grant him that. Hugggsss Jerry  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hahaahaaa your cat is telling you…hey this is MY bed! Thanks for the laugh Jerry!

Did you enjoy your friend’s visit? Wow that’s a long time knowing him. That’s so awesome. I often wonder how my childhood friends are doing. We will get rain here on Thursday or Friday from tropical storm.

Enjoy your day my friend! Big hugs 🤗

Ha LadyDen,

And yes, my cat is sleeping again on my bed now. Haha. Naughty cat. The visit of my friend was very nice. We talked about old memories. And also about our mental states we are in now, both not very good. He also enjoyed my paintings, which are here in my living room. It is stormy here too. After today it will be more calm. Hugg jerry

Haaaa yes naughty cat. When I’m well enough I think I might get a cat.

Glad you enjoyed your visit with your friend. It’s good to discuss old times and have a few laughs.

Hugs Jerry!

Ha Zzers,

The last couple of nights I did a new taper step, half of the crumb I took. It is a bit tough but doable. I feel more boaty today. In a half hour I go shopping. I hope that that goes well. In the evening my father comes here.

I have been watching the world cup skating in Norway on tv today.

Huggg Jerry

Jerry way to go! I’m proud of you! You’re at a jumping place. The boatiness is normal. Annoying but a good sign of your brain beginning to do the repairing. Enjoy your father and your day.

Big hugs 🤗

Jerry way to go! I’m proud of you! You’re at a jumping place. The boatiness is normal. Annoying but a good sign of your brain beginning to do the repairing. Enjoy your father and your day.

Big hugs 🤗

Yes, I am getting close. I think my next step is the jump. Today I had my saxlesson on my tenor saxophone which is a Conn, an American brand sax, from 1946. It is still sounding so wonderful. It surprised even my teacher. We did some jazz solo practice. My father is now for two nights on a Dutch island called Ameland.

Even though my mother died two years ago, he is very active and doing lots of things.

I hope you have a good week, I hope you can spend more time outside your bed, without the side effects you experience at the moment. Huggggs Jerry!

Great news, J!

I just hopped on to see how folks are doing and read you are ready to jump.  Congratulations!

WBB

Ha WBB, nice that you hopped on, yes I am gettIng close. Thank you!

Hug, Jerry  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jerry I’m so proud that you’re at a jumping point. And your American sax from the 40’s sounds so cool to play such an instrument. I bet you miss your dad too. It’s good that he’s active in his golden years. Enjoy your day today. Hugs

Hello Wanna it’s good to see a post from you. I hope you have been doing well. Thank you for caring. Hugs

To all other Team Z….hugs and happy healing!

Hi buddies, I'm having a setback in my  journey. I need to figure out if some symptoms are mostly depressive or if there could be a relation with Zolpidem.

1) Anhedonia and anxiety start to hit in the late morning, harder in the afternoon and evening with a mild relief after dinner.

2) Fatigue, laying on the bed looks attractive expecially in the afternoon.

3) This is a little bit weirder: cold feet - when anxiety or depression peak.

Could it be interdose withdrawal or sort of? Even anhedonia?

(I generally split my dose in two, one at bedtime and another after 3 or 4 hours when I wake up).

Hi Qua sorry you’re having such a rough time. IMO I think you’re in tolerance and interdose wd. It’s an indication to began a taper. Zolpidem has a short half life so it’s not surprising that you don’t feel well. Are you wanting to taper off?

I hope you feel better.

I have just tried reinstating on zopicllone, as after nearly 4 nearly no windows, no improvement, indescribable mental symptoms, last 5 weeks had wave from hell, now not really eating, lot days can’t get out bed , shaking uncontrollably , having lots SI thoughts figure worth try. GP’s refuse help as GP lied about making me stop them,, so got them elsewhere. Just wondered once I stabilise how much should I decrease dose by and how often. I never had any problems on it , had cut from half to a quarter tablet previously, they gave me a life, before that bitch made to CT

Hi Zzers,

I already PMed it LadyDen, she had to be the first to hear it, but I have slept last night without zopiclone. A big achievement for me since I am busy tapering since 2015, and using it since 2006. I think I’ll buy a treat in the form of a pie, for me and my father. I wish I could get you a treat too. To be honest, I am not feeling great now, but I guess that is to be expected. My brain still has to adjust, of course, to zero zopiclone Today I got a nice set of reeds for my soprano sax by post. They sound really great. So I am glad with them. Huggggggs Jerry.

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:oXo:

:yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

Jerry huge congrats 🎉

Absolutely proud of you my friend! You did it! Yes symptoms are to be expected. It will settle down soon. Give it some time.

Your new reeds sound nice. Are they plastic or wooden? My son tried some new reeds and he loves them. I’m not sure what kind they are.

Big hugs!

:highfive: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive:

Hi Leann. It’s good to hear from you. I hope everything works out for you. I’m not sure of any advice to give you. But I wish you the best and sending you a big hug  :hug:

Hi Qua sorry you’re having such a rough time. IMO I think you’re in tolerance and interdose wd. It’s an indication to began a taper. Zolpidem has a short half life so it’s not surprising that you don’t feel well. Are you wanting to taper off?

I hope you feel better.

After reinstating, more or less one year ago, I started went into a kind of symptoms based tapering with no schedule.

I weaned off Seroquel, cut 50% flurazepam and slightly reduced zolpidem.

I can't say Zolpidem is totally ineffective right now, like in tolerance. But I noticed that transition from morning to afternoon became awful and I'm wondering if Zolpidem could give a short lived high in the morning while making harder the rest of the day. It started with a spike in anxiety due to some issues at work.

Jerry huge congrats 🎉

Absolutely proud of you my friend! You did it! Yes symptoms are to be expected. It will settle down soon. Give it some time.

Your new reeds sound nice. Are they plastic or wooden? My son tried some new reeds and he loves them. I’m not sure what kind they are.

Big hugs!

:highfive: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive:

It is so great that I got over the finish line. It is so good that I don t have take this awful metal tasting poison anymore. My reeds are made of bamboo, they are from the Alexander brand, type Superial Double Cut.

OMG - Jerry!

You've done it!.  I am so happy for you.  Just think you'll have your swims benzo-free!  Don't forget to update your signature!  Awesome

WBB

OMG - Jerry!

You've done it!.  I am so happy for you.  Just think you'll have your swims benzo-free!  Don't forget to update your signature!  Awesome

WBB

Thank you WBB! I have updated my signature! Today is the second day without zopiclone, I still feel not good. My brain still has to adjust. I’ll go swimming in an hour. Huggs Jerry  :thumbsup: