Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Putting your medication history into your signature will help others see your situation at a glance instead of having to read back through your posts, here are the instructions. Add your history/signature

Thanks Pamster,

I was wondering how to do that! Done!

Pug x

Hi all,

I am stuck with my taper and REALLY struggling with the interdose withdrawals. And I'm talking way more than "this feels uncomfortable". Intrusive thoughts, SI, brain feels like it's being pulled apart, can't think straight, can't see straight, DP/DR, vertigo - it's really quick extreme.

How do people manage the interdose withdrawals? It's halted my taper because I'm seriously not functioning.

Or is it at this point that a swap over to a longer acting benzo like Valium is called for?

I've made it to 2.87mg. But as soon as I go lower, it becomes truly unbearable.

Would love some guidance on this.

Pugtragic x

I am also tapering zopiclone, maybe you could try to taper slower. That is my way of doing it. I use a set of files to accomplish that. i am now at 0.7 mg of zopiclone I guess. I have interdose withdrawel too, but I manage, when the summer is over I ‘ll go down and jump.  :thumbsup: Jerry

Hi all,

I am stuck with my taper and REALLY struggling with the interdose withdrawals. And I'm talking way more than "this feels uncomfortable". Intrusive thoughts, SI, brain feels like it's being pulled apart, can't think straight, can't see straight, DP/DR, vertigo - it's really quick extreme.

How do people manage the interdose withdrawals? It's halted my taper because I'm seriously not functioning.

Or is it at this point that a swap over to a longer acting benzo like Valium is called for?

I've made it to 2.87mg. But as soon as I go lower, it becomes truly unbearable.

Would love some guidance on this.

Pugtragic x

Hello Pug! Welcome to Team Z! My experience is with Ambien but the Zdrugs work the same way…they’re all short acting evil little benzo cousins. From reading your posts I see that you unfortunately found that out. Having said that here’s my opinion on what’s going on with you….

You’re having tolerance WD ( withdrawal) AND interdose WD AND what I call tapering WD. That’s why you feel so bad. We all have gone through this. Also, it seems your Zdrug is paradoxical because you are coming off- that’s what I call tapering WD. The good news is that you’re almost off being below 3mg. You’ve done a great job so far! Congrats! Now to get you off the rest…..

Honestly I think if you can bare it, you should not go on Valium. This is what I would do if I were you….just keep going down and implement as much coping skills as possible all day every day. If you began Valium, that is a whole other realm of much suffering because you’ll have to taper that too. It’s WD on top of WD. The question you must ask yourself is….do you want that? Can you handle that? What will be the best thing with the least amount of damage? After all, you will be using another benzo to try to fix a benzo. If I were you, I wouldn’t put myself through such hell. Now, I know Dr Ashton said some people can switch over to Valium then taper. But she also said to do that IF you have to. I’m going to be honest with you in saying this is not going to be easy either way. Once again the question is which is easier. As of now, you’re still alive and making it through each day although it’s very hard. But, it’s temporary and very understandable because you’re taking away your zdrug from a brain that is dependent upon it. So symptoms are to be expected and acceptance of them is the best thing in this early stages of this. It is temporary. And I believe that you can do this. As a matter of fact, I went through this at the end of my taper. Ambien turned paradoxical on me and I had WD ( both interdose and tolerance). I got myself a plan to deal with it and toughed it out. I’m so very glad I did! Next thing I know in a few short weeks, I jumped off. What I used to cope mainly was meditation listening to soothing spa music and slow controlled breathing while listening. A weighted blanket in a dark room. A teddy bear or something soft to cuddle. Binge watching tv ( game shows, old sitcoms, etc) and playing games online. When I could be up and about, I took walks outside and did art inside. Something to do with your hands is ideal.

If you do decide to go the switch to Valium route, please educate yourself to get an informed idea of what you’ll be up against. There’s a buddy of mine on here that doesn’t posts much anymore named Shayna. She tapered zoplicon and Valium. If you read back through this thread you’ll see her journey. It wasn’t pretty. Really nobody’s journey is. Sorry this was long but I wanted to say all I could to help you. I wish you the best in finishing your taper. You’re almost there….you can do this! You’re not alone!

Happy 26 months off to me!

Woooohoooooo! 🎉 🎈 🥳 👏

Come on healing, let’s finish this!  :thumbsup:

Congratulations!!! 🍾😃🤪😵‍💫🤩👍🏻👊🏻

Thank you Jerry my friend! How are you doing today?

I see you have cooler weather too. I’m loving this break from all the heat. It’s so nice. Rain off and on here for the next few days.

How was dinner with your dad?

Hugs and love ❤️

Thank you Jerry my friend! How are you doing today?

I see you have cooler weather too. I’m loving this break from all the heat. It’s so nice. Rain off and on here for the next few days.

How was dinner with your dad?

Hugs and love ❤️

Ha friend LadyDen,

The morning/ afternoon was tough, but I went swimming in a quiet swimming pool which was nice. A couple of days ago we had a day of rain too here. Indoors it is still quite warm, my appartement is well isolated, so the heat goes out very slowly. That’s a pity. I am wondering; Do you also have height anxiety? It is annoying to watch tv, there’s a lot programs and advertising with high viewpoints or high buildings which trigger my anxiety. A very unpleasant experience. I really hope it will go away after I finish my taper. Anyway my father will come here tomorrow for dinner, music and football. The other days I go to his house for a meal. This time not today. He has a kind a family meeting. Huggggs Jerry  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jerry I’ve always had height anxiety. But not when watching tv or even someone else being high up. I don’t have trouble riding elevator to get to my hotel room although I know it’s high. I even look out the windows enjoying the view. My problem has always been if I’m the one that has to climb something. But I do notice when I play my games that has movements on the screen, it makes me a bit disoriented and a sensation that I’m moving too. For example, while playing the game if the character jump from one place to another, I will “ jump” too but internally as if I’m actually jumping. It’s very weird. So I understand how you feel. In time, it has gotten milder and yours will too.

Glad you enjoyed your swim. Big hugs!

LD,

Congratulations my friend!  You're doing this thing...this long thing. You're doing it.  I'm with you!

Lightspacer,

I hope you can catch some breaks and enjoy the swimming while the weather is hot. 

Pugtragic,

I think Lady Den gave you some great commentary. I'll just say that I totally get how hard this is right now. it can be just brutal.  I made TONS of mistakes that prolonged my agony over the years. One of them for me was trying to occasionally tamp down symptoms with wine or a benzo. It truly made me worse in the long run.  We're all different though so do what you  think is best.  For me, it was a bad choice though so that's my experience.  I hope things let up for you soon!

I'm doing ok...things have been going along fairly smoothly lately. I'm burning and tingling today with mild nausea but managed to walk 2 1/2 miles before lunch so that's a huge accomplishment for me and I know I'm healing.  I hope the same for all of you! 

Way to go Helen! I’m going to call you the walking queen. I hope I can borrow some of your “ go get it” so I can walk a bit today! Well done!

Lots of love dear friend ❤️👏

Thanks for the congrats

Finally back on here to post an update! Stopped Ambien 9 month ago, then tapered off Trazadone, and then tapered off melatonin and had my first drug free great night of sleep last night! Thank you all and good luck!

Way to go Sun! Wonderful to have you back. Welcome! I’m sure you’re very happy to see for yourself that your body knows how to sleep without outside help. These pills are not good for us. They’re designed for sleep but disrupts the normal brain balance to do so. Doing that over and over ( unknowingly so) causes much damage. We were told they’re harmless and unfortunately found out the very hard way that isn’t true. Oh if I could turn back the hands of time. I’d run from Ambien! I’m so very proud of your successful taperings. You deserve a medal 🏅

I’m wishing you a full speedy recovery. You’re definitely well on your way. Congrats on 9 months! Big hugs!

Team Z! Wishing you a happy Sunday morning! If you are religious, may you have a day of praise to our Heavenly Father. Thank him that you’re off the pills or getting off them. Trust him that he’s taking care of you. For every one of us, there are thousands who are very sick on these pills and don’t know it’s the pills causing it. May Yahweh ( God) bless us and keep us in his healing hands! Enjoy your day. ❤️

Hi Team Z,

will take my last dose of zopiclone tonight, 0.9mg as I've done for the past week. Wish me luck for the big jump!

Mari

Hi Team Z,

will take my last dose of zopiclone tonight, 0.9mg as I've done for the past week. Wish me luck for the big jump!

Mari

Lots of luckkkkkkk!!!! You will do it!!

Congrats to Sundeez!  Way to go! 

Mariposta, you are going to be SO glad to know you have made it down to 0.  So very glad.  This part of the journey is about to be behind you!  You've got this!

Hi Team Z,

Mari

Well done!!!! How in the world did you cope with the interdose withdrawals????

Pug  :smitten:

The interdose withdrawals have improved over the course of the taper to be honest. The first cut was the hardest. I'm not really having interdose withdrawals anymore.

The hardest symptoms for me have really been the digestive issues, but mentally, cognitively, I have mostly been feeling better the lower my dose has gone, more myself, more clear, more sane. Using lots of different methods for managing anxiety which I have been cultivating for years anyway. Trying to stay emotionally regulated is really important so whatever helps you to do that I would say is key. avoiding triggering people and experiences and avoiding getting lost in triggering thought patterns and rumination has been essential for me too. being able to catch myself when I'm ruminating or going down a path that triggers fear. Staying hydrated and resting as much as I need.

I also have some experience with neurological injury as I'm in long-term recovery from pernicious anaemia which causes CNS/brain injury, so a lot of the symptoms I am used to. And like I say, I seem to be just feeling better in my brain, the closer I've got to coming off.

Good luck.

The interdose withdrawals have improved over the course of the taper to be honest. The first cut was the hardest. I'm not really having interdose withdrawals anymore.

The hardest symptoms for me have really been the digestive issues, but mentally, cognitively, I have mostly been feeling better the lower my dose has gone, more myself, more clear, more sane. Using lots of different methods for managing anxiety which I have been cultivating for years anyway. Trying to stay emotionally regulated is really important so whatever helps you to do that I would say is key. avoiding triggering people and experiences and avoiding getting lost in triggering thought patterns and rumination has been essential for me too. being able to catch myself when I'm ruminating or going down a path that triggers fear. Staying hydrated and resting as much as I need.

I also have some experience with neurological injury as I'm in long-term recovery from pernicious anaemia which causes CNS/brain injury, so a lot of the symptoms I am used to. And like I say, I seem to be just feeling better in my brain, the closer I've got to coming off.

Good luck.

Mariposta,

It sounds like you are improving in some important ways and have a good tool kit for continuing the journey. That's wonderful! Those digestive issues are a tough challenge. Your gut will improve as you go. That's interesting about the pernicious anaemia causing CNS injury. It makes sense though.  Keep going! You're doing this thing. 

Helen

Hi Team Z,

Mari

Good luck!!! How did it go! Yay for you! Wooohoooo! 👏👏👏👏👏👏🥳

I'm not feeling great today tbh guys, but. I have had to do quite a long train journey. I'm in bed now. I have some tremors and vibrations, nausea, headache. just gotta get through it. hopefully it won't be protracted.

Oh I'm sorry Mariposta. A long train ride could definitely wear you out during withdrawal.  Those are not fun symptoms!  I hope the rest helps you.  Take good care.

Thanks Helen. it's coming in waves! waves and windows eh. I was feeling pretty rotten when I posted earlier but feeling a bit steadier again now, although there is an imminent family visit (family coming from overseas) that I have to navigate so that's causing some emotional and practical upheaval, but yeah... first night with zop tonight anyway. we'll see how that goes!

love to all.

Haa Zzers, another tough day for me. I am sitting on my bench with the fan on. I had contact with Telecare. That is calling with a care worker via facetime/skype. I can also call with someone via the ‘listeningline’, which I also did today, and which is a nationwide free service here. No swimming today for me, I do that every other day. No other news from me hug Jerry  :thumbsup::smitten::crazy:

Mari am sorry that you’re not feeling well. I’m also not. You just finished your taper so symptoms are to be expected. What helped me is to accept them as my brain is in the beginning stages of returning me back to normal. Feeling is healing as the common saying around here. You’re wise to rest in bed. That will allow your body the space it needs to get through this acute. Anything soothing that you can do is ideal. All day long. Self love, self care and much rest. I’d you throw away your remaining pills?

Congrats on your jump! Well done sweetheart!  :thumbsup: