Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

I keep building confidence in as my taper getting very close to a blissful end.

Lightspacer, what is your taper plan?

Becksblue

LadyDen

Lightspacer

Nathan Arizona

Deanna2020, you are all miracles

I keep building confidence in as my taper getting very close to a blissful end.

Lightspacer, what is your taper plan?

Becksblue

LadyDen

Lightspacer

Nathan Arizona

Deanna2020, you are all miracles

Ha TeeWee,

I do my taper step after step. When I have done a new step, I wait till most side effects have gone, and then I do my next step. It is important that I keep sleeping during the night.

Wish you luck! Jerry!

Jerry, hope you feel better soon.  Nathan, you are just too funny.  Well, I was made in the 60's, specifically 1961.  I'll bet you were made later.

Only a little. 1965.

Hello!  Want to post while I find the right place (my mind not great).  I have huge sleep problem, always have.  Just tried a supplement that set me back:  gaba, l tyrosine, lysine, taurine.  ugh.  On half an ambien but doesn't really make me sleep any more.  Without sleep I am MUCH worse.  Looking for suggestions... I got off clonopin via valium, but the ambien I don't know what to do. 

Thanks!!

Good morning Team Z. Nathan that was hilarious!  :laugh: Twd you are a miracle too my friend  :)

Deanna that sun lamp sounds great. That sperti is the one I researched as well. Yes it’s not cheap.

Jerry I’m cheering you on. You got this.

Kachina I hope you’re doing well with working and having some relax time too.

Barbara you’ve done a good job getting off your other meds. You should be very proud of that. Do you mind telling me exactly how much ambien you’re on? And I’m not surprised those supplements revved you up. As far as sleep, sometimes it’s just going to be a struggle for a little while. Acceptance is key. Many others suffering from this handles it better when they get a can’t sleep plan. A good book, listening to soothing music, watching tv, doing puzzles, knitting, drawing, playing games online and even doing chores at night. Any of those can help pass the time and serve the purpose of not fixating on how much sleep you’re not getting. Some of the others here can testify about that. Also even if you can’t sleep much, laying there just relaxing is good for mind and body. Especially if you listen to spa music while resting. I pretend I’m in a lovely spa on vacation.  :thumbsup:

What reduction method are you currently using? I used the dry cut method. When I got down to smaller doses then I used a nail file to shave some off. I learned that method here on this forum. It worked so well. Matter of fact, when I would shave some, my brain saw it as such small reduction that I didn’t freak out with all the what ifs anymore. I’d say to myself “ oh I only scraped a little so this won’t make a difference in my sleep. It’s no big deal. Now go get in the bed.”  Sure enough, it wasn’t a big deal. I did my bedtime routine. If it took 2 hours to doze off then oh well. I just laid there relaxed meditating that I’m in a lovely garden. Next thing I knew, it was morning. I hope this helps you. Wishing you more sleep to come. Hugs

Good morning Team Z. Nathan that was hilarious!  :laugh: Twd you are a miracle too my friend  :)

Deanna that sun lamp sounds great. That sperti is the one I researched as well. Yes it’s not cheap.

Barbara you’ve done a good job getting off your other meds. You should be very proud of that. Do you mind telling me exactly how much ambien you’re on? And I’m not surprised those supplements revved you up. As far as sleep, sometimes it’s just going to be a struggle for a little while. Acceptance is key. Many others suffering from this handles it better when they get a can’t sleep plan. A good book, listening to soothing music, watching tv, doing puzzles, knitting, drawing, playing games online and even doing chores at night. Any of those can help pass the time and serve the purpose of not fixating on how much sleep you’re not getting. Some of the others here can testify about that. Also even if you can’t sleep much, laying there just relaxing is good for mind and body. Especially if you listen to spa music while resting. I pretend I’m in a lovely spa on vacation.  :thumbsup:

What reduction method are you currently using? I used the dry cut method. When I got down to smaller doses then I used a nail file to shave some off. I learned that method here on this forum. It worked so well. Matter of fact, when I would shave some, my brain saw it as such small reduction that I didn’t freak out with all the what ifs anymore. I’d say to myself “ oh I only scraped a little so this won’t make a difference in my sleep. It’s no big deal. Now go get in the bed.”  Sure enough, it wasn’t a big deal. I did my bedtime routine. If it took 2 hours to doze off then oh well. I just laid there relaxed meditating that I’m in a lovely garden. Next thing I knew, it was morning. I hope this helps you. Wishing you more sleep to come. Hugs

Thank you but had circadian rhythm disorder and sleep probs before benzos.  I could not work so took benzos to function and have a career.  My sleep won't be normal-- never has been.

What is your spa music?

Thanks for your wishes.  Oh, I am on approx 5 ambien.  i actually just approximate but can dig out my scale.  sigh.

Thank you but had circadian rhythm disorder and sleep probs before benzos.  I could not work so took benzos to function and have a career.  My sleep won't be normal-- never has been.

What is your spa music?

Thanks for your wishes.  Oh, I am on approx 5 ambien.  i actually just approximate but can dig out my scale.  sigh.

There’s a channel on YouTube called the relaxation channel. It has a great variety of sleep/spa/ relaxation music.

I want to be clear on what you’re meaning…are you on 5 mg of Ambien or are you taking 5 pills of ambien a day?

BarbaraAve

I took 20 mg of ambien for years.

ambien was the hardest drug to come off of.

5 things that helped me the most.

* Changed food to lots of vege's and whole foods.

* Did cbt for sleep (to get my sleep rythem back)

* started taking large doses of Tryptophan, Meletonin, Magnesium)

* take hydroxyzine

* did a very slow taper

my last night on ambien was 9 nights ago. 

be VERY VERY patient, and keep reaching out

Good morning Team Z! I hope you all are well and ready for the holidays. I miss you all. Hope you post an update soon.

TWD you are so right. Great advice.  :thumbsup:

Ha Z-people,

Because of a hard lockdown here everything is closed, except from essential shops, like supermarkets. Also my swimmingpool is closed.  :idiot: So I started walking again today. A small walk of 1,5 km. After Christmas and New Year I’ll do my next taper step.  Hugsss Jerry

Sounds good Jerry  :thumbsup: Best wishes. I know the lockdown sucks but it’s for the best. Glad to hear you’re out walking. Gotta keep moving the body.

Jerry, where do you live that there's a lockdown again?  We don't have one here where I live in the states.

Ha Becksblue,

I live in The Netherlands in Europe.

The lockdown here is because of the new Omicron variant…

Jerry

Many Americans are acting like this pandemic is over. Some are not wearing masks, not social distancing, being in public when they know they’re sick, etc. I wouldn’t be surprised if we have another lockdown too.

BarbaraAve

I took 20 mg of ambien for years.

ambien was the hardest drug to come off of.

5 things that helped me the most.

* Changed food to lots of vege's and whole foods.

* Did cbt for sleep (to get my sleep rythem back)

* started taking large doses of Tryptophan, Meletonin, Magnesium)

* take hydroxyzine

* did a very slow taper

my last night on ambien was 9 nights ago. 

be VERY VERY patient, and keep reaching out

Love your list Ambien friend!!! Congratulations on 9 nights .... ohhhhh a newborn baby!!!

Ha Z-people,

Because of a hard lockdown here everything is closed, except from essential shops, like supermarkets. Also my swimmingpool is closed.  :idiot: So I started walking again today. A small walk of 1,5 km. After Christmas and New Year I’ll do my next taper step.  Hugsss Jerry

Loving your adapting and walking instead Jerry!! Merry Christmas, this IS going to end and we'll have a better world to go back to without cover. I think. Or we'll see ... but let's keep on keeping' on!

Good morning Team Z! I hope you all are well and ready for the holidays. I miss you all. Hope you post an update soon.

TWD you are so right. Great advice.  :thumbsup:

Hello Beautiful Lady! Are you ready for the holidays?

That youtube station sounds cool!

I wish you dreams come true in 2022!!!

Thank you for all you give here, thank you for helping me through my taper----and that goes out to All Team Z friends: THANK YOU and wishing you Joy and success and love in the new year. And PEACE and REST!!!

Hello Team Z!!!!!

We have rain here. I woke up at 2:30!! Oh give me a break, lolololol. I don't care, I have a relaxed day at home and I know I'll sleep much better either tonight or the next one. I think it's because I ate holiday goodies and too much sugar. But I also went for a nice hike in a gorgeous forest! Got up at 4.

I'm feeling SO thankful that I could cry, when thinking about it. Here I am about to embark on 2022 with NONE OF THE MEDS and NONE OF THE WORST SYMPTOMS that I fought for 20 yrs and were unknowingly caused by the ambien. Pain like you wouldn't believe, come to learn that it was inter-dose withdrawal. To know I'll never again take these Z drugs and Z like drugs is FREEDOM!!!

I am thinking of looking into hydroxyzine because I'm planning to start a real job soon and as it is I take Benadryl sometimes. Thoughts? Experience??

Best holiday ever for me to be this free. That doesn't mean that I don't have anxiety, some pain, insomnia and all the struggles that go with life. It just means I can cope and also feel JOY! THIS SITE SAVED ME.

THIS SITE SAVED ME. Yes it did. Anyone reading who thinks they couldn't live or function without the sleep ambien gives them, well, I know that terrible feeling and fear. Hold on to the dream of getting off the poison. If anyone wants a buddy you can PM me and I'll hold your hand through your taper. Others on here will as well.

:oXo: :oXo:

Kachina,

I'm so glad you posted your joyous feelings today.  It is a truly a dream to be off of the Z Drugs.  I never thought I could do it.  I am just hoping to feel more healing soon.  This is a really rough day for me so far. But I'll just keep reminding myself that I'm DONE, DONE, DONE with the meds.  It's almost like a miracle.  It will feel truly miraculous when my body and head catch up.  :laugh:

About hydroxyzine. I took it on and off for the first couple of months off (I'm 6 1/2 months off now).  It definitely knocked me out. I didn't mind how it made me feel in general. After a while though I think it started making my heart feel weird the next day.  The pros for me were that it calmed down my anxious feelings and knocked me out for sleep. It's very sedating.  The cons were that it is so drying! My mouth and eyes were like cotton balls had been stuffed in them.  The other negative for me is that I was extremely groggy well into the next day, sometimes almost until lunch time.  I began taking it earlier and earlier and taking just small amounts.  12.5 mg at the most for me.  Let me know if you try it. 

Thanks again for your nice post and I hope your day is lovely.

Helen

Team Z! Virtual holiday hugs to you all  :hug:

Kachina I don’t have any experience with hydroxyzine but in my opinion I’d proceed with caution and really research it before a decision. I think Helen gave you a good report to start your consideration. I’m wishing you the best Xmas ever! Wow your first one Ambien free! How awesome! And it was my pleasure to help you taper.  :smitten: I don’t mind helping anyone in whatever capacity I can. You’ve been a great support and dear friend to me. Also other buddies have also been there for me. For that I’m grateful.

Helen you did a great job getting off and staying off. Don’t take your 6 months as nothing. That’s big! I’m so proud of you too. You and I are getting our butts kicked with symptoms but we keep on going. We will get better soon enough but until we do…arm in arm we stay the course. May your Xmas be merry and bright!

TWD I know you’re the newest one here to join the zdrug free club. Congrats on your dedication to get off. You deserve a medal 🏅 Keep going forward my friend. Putting it behind you. Awesome job! Make sure you celebrate your accomplishment. Happy holidays to you.

Jerry happy holidays my friend! I hope you’re enjoying your walks, playing Xmas songs on your sax and taking good care. I know your dad will probably love to hear a sax Xmas song.  :thumbsup: I know I would love to hear you play it. Hugs 🤗

Deanna I’m sending warm holiday healing hugs your way. Hopefully this new year will prove to be our end of these symptoms. I can’t wait for us both to write our success stories. Matter of fact I’m looking forward to reading all of ours. Including my own because it will be unbelievable after going through this. ☃️❄️

I’m 18 months feeling pretty crummy still but I know I’m healing. I just pray I wake tomorrow feeling decent enough to enjoy the very few family that is coming over so I’m not alone. It would be nice to have a window.

To everyone else….happy holidays! Happy healing!!! May the new year bring us much needed healing. ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️🎀🎀🎀🎀❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️☃️☃️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️☃️☃️☃️☃️☃️☃️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️☃️☃️☃️☃️☃️☃️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

A GIFT OF JOY TO YOU! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Hello and Merry Christmas,

I started on 2mgs of flunitrazepam/rohypnol and 10mgs of Zolpidem on July 5th 2021

Started tapering down the flunitrazepam on Aug. 28, 2021 and am now at .18mg.

After getting well into my taper, I learned that Zolpidem has a shorter half-life and maybe should have tried to taper that first.

However, I feel that I have come this far and would like to remove the flunitrazepam completely and then start on the Zolpidem.

My symptoms during taper so far and anxiety, some numbness/tingling in hands and, recently headaches (could headaches be from Zolpidem inter-dose withdrawal…?) Symptoms are sometimes quite unpleasant but so far tolerable.

My sleep is terrible at between 4-5 hours a night. Once I wake up I am usually unable to fall back asleep. It seems clear my sleep has been taken over by the Zolpidem. As many of you here will well know, it completely sucks!

I am clearly not getting enough sleep. However, I am desperate to get off both the flunitrazepam  and the zolpidem.

It seems to me that the only way I can get more sleep with zolpidem etc. would be to increase the dosage and I am 100% opposed to that. I am suffering big time from sleep-deprivation but no way will I increase dosage.  My current situation seems untenable long-term.

I have worked with, and plan to do so again, with a CBTi therapist online (I live in Japan). He wants to move fast with a cbt-i intervention program (sleep restriction, stimulus control etc.). However, I know I must taper the zolpidem slowly so there is a bit of a conflict there.

How about adding on things like magnesium, melatonin, l-theanine, apigenin etc? I know magnesium is controversial and many say it can cause serious problems in benzo recovery…

How about for use when tapering z-drugs? Is it as dangerous as for benzos proper? Back in August and September, I tried magnesium biglyscinate a few times and it did seem to make me drowsy.

I would be very happy to hear any advice, comments, impressions.

Thank you very much in advance (and thanks to KachinaBirdsong who directed me to this group)!

I take Dr's Best elemental magnesium at bedtime and it contains glycine and lysine and helps me sleep and also keeps me regular.  I don't take the whole pill, but use a pill splitter and only take about a half or quarter of a pill at bedtime.  Many people on this forum recommended taking that brand and said it really helped them.  Maybe you can take just a small bit of the magnesium and see if it works for you?

Hello and Merry Christmas,

I started on 2mgs of flunitrazepam/rohypnol and 10mgs of Zolpidem on July 5th 2021

Started tapering down the flunitrazepam on Aug. 28, 2021 and am now at .18mg.

After getting well into my taper, I learned that Zolpidem has a shorter half-life and maybe should have tried to taper that first.

However, I feel that I have come this far and would like to remove the flunitrazepam completely and then start on the Zolpidem.

My symptoms during taper so far and anxiety, some numbness/tingling in hands and, recently headaches (could headaches be from Zolpidem inter-dose withdrawal…?) Symptoms are sometimes quite unpleasant but so far tolerable.

My sleep is terrible at between 4-5 hours a night. Once I wake up I am usually unable to fall back asleep. It seems clear my sleep has been taken over by the Zolpidem. As many of you here will well know, it completely sucks!

I am clearly not getting enough sleep. However, I am desperate to get off both the flunitrazepam  and the zolpidem.

It seems to me that the only way I can get more sleep with zolpidem etc. would be to increase the dosage and I am 100% opposed to that. I am suffering big time from sleep-deprivation but no way will I increase dosage.  My current situation seems untenable long-term.

I have worked with, and plan to do so again, with a CBTi therapist online (I live in Japan). He wants to move fast with a cbt-i intervention program (sleep restriction, stimulus control etc.). However, I know I must taper the zolpidem slowly so there is a bit of a conflict there.

How about adding on things like magnesium, melatonin, l-theanine, apigenin etc? I know magnesium is controversial and many say it can cause serious problems in benzo recovery…

How about for use when tapering z-drugs? Is it as dangerous as for benzos proper? Back in August and September, I tried magnesium biglyscinate a few times and it did seem to make me drowsy.

I would be very happy to hear any advice, comments, impressions.

Thank you very much in advance (and thanks to KachinaBirdsong who directed me to this group)!

I agree with your decision to push through with tapering the flunitrazepam, you've come this far so might as well keep going.  I'm doubtful your CBTi therapist's plan to start using intervention therapies will be successful while you're still tapering these medications, in fact I'm doubtful they'll have much of an impact until you've recovered.  The insomnia caused by these drugs is a different animal than normal insomnia so while I know you're sleep deprived you may want to push those programs out a bit.  I don't know how much they charge but I'd hate to see you waste your money.

I wouldn't doubt that your headaches could be caused by interdose, when I was using Ambien I was miserable all day long. 

You may want to ask about possible supplements to use on the Alternative Therapies & Supplements board.

When I first got off the benzo's and Z-drugs, I went to see a therapist and told her and she said that she wouldn't counsel me until I was through with my withdrawal.