XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Just a question and thanks for all the replies and help all. Has anyone ever had dry flaky skin in the face during withdrawal/tolerance?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so discouraged that I can't find any people on BB who have successfully tapered from as high of a dose as I was on (8mg/day for many years - xanax at some dose for 24 years) to all the way benzo free.  I just feel like there isn't hope for me.  I'm currently at 7mg and already it's been difficult.  :(  I am really glad that I found this group, though.  It's been helpful.  Thank you for that.

Hey!

My highest dose was 20mg for approx 6months. I took xanax for one year and tapering from February this year. It's hard but if I compare my symptoms to other people I could have been much worse. What is interesting is the fact that I was able to drop from 20mg down to 4 over night. It was hell but I've made it. Now at 2mg a day i feel like I have to climb the K-2 mountain but there is no other choice!

I wish the best for You buddyperson!

Mr. A and Buddyperson,

I've looked for others who were abusing as much xanax as I was.  I hit 30 mg., cut to 4 mg at a huge pace, but am still fighting to get off using Klonopin.  Buddyperson you aren't alone.

How much do both of you feel that the amount of xanax you used increased your symptoms?  I read so many posts from people who didn't take nearly as much as I did but seem to be suffering much more.  I just dropped in here but am wondering. 

Thanks,  :smitten:

I was on it only one year but saw people who sufferd more after 3 months on small doses! We should be greatful!

Just a question and thanks for all the replies and help all. Has anyone ever had dry flaky skin in the face during withdrawal/tolerance?

Not me but it's probably normal. I have TERRIBLE acne on my back... It messes with our body's alright...

Dear Friends,

Today I took my last dose of benzodiazepine. I posted my story on the Benzo Free thread. I started my journey on this thread over three years ago. So many dear friendships were forged. I am deeply grateful for the support I received on these pages. I thank you all for the kindness you held for me.

Mrs my sweet friend....when you jumped you passed me the baton. I will give it to the next buddy in line to finish. Now I join you on the other side. I am teary with relief.

With gratitude and love,

Carita :smitten:

Dear Friends,

Today I took my last dose of benzodiazepine. I posted my story on the Benzo Free thread. I started my journey on this thread over three years ago. So many dear friendships were forged. I am deeply grateful for the support I received on these pages. I thank you all for the kindness you held for me.

Mrs my sweet friend....when you jumped you passed me the baton. I will give it to the next buddy in line to finish. Now I join you on the other side. I am teary with relief.

With gratitude and love,

Oh my, that is so wonderful to hear! Congratulations!!!

Dear Friends,

With gratitude and love,

Oh Carita, I'm so happy for you! 

I have goosebumps reading this message this morning. 

What a long journey you've had…I'm off to read your benzo-free story.

Happy healing,

Challis  :smitten:

congrats to you Carita!!!!! I hope to be there in about 17 months, Lord willing. I hope your journey was smooth as I hope mine will be.

Dear Friends,

With gratitude and love,

OH MY GOODNESS!! Carita, you are done. Forever!!

So proud of you my dear :smitten: You have earned your freedom! Today is just the beginning... ;)

Mrs. :smitten:

I'm so discouraged that I can't find any people on BB who have successfully tapered from as high of a dose as I was on (8mg/day for many years - xanax at some dose for 24 years) to all the way benzo free.  I just feel like there isn't hope for me.  I'm currently at 7mg and already it's been difficult.  :(  I am really glad that I found this group, though.  It's been helpful.  Thank you for that.

Hey!

My highest dose was 20mg for approx 6months. I took xanax for one year and tapering from February this year. It's hard but if I compare my symptoms to other people I could have been much worse. What is interesting is the fact that I was able to drop from 20mg down to 4 over night. It was hell but I've made it. Now at 2mg a day i feel like I have to climb the K-2 mountain but there is no other choice!

I wish the best for You buddyperson!

Mr. A and Buddyperson,

I've looked for others who were abusing as much xanax as I was.  I hit 30 mg., cut to 4 mg at a huge pace, but am still fighting to get off using Klonopin.  Buddyperson you aren't alone.

How much do both of you feel that the amount of xanax you used increased your symptoms?  I read so many posts from people who didn't take nearly as much as I did but seem to be suffering much more.  I just dropped in here but am wondering. 

Thanks,  :smitten:

I was on it only one year but saw people who sufferd more after 3 months on small doses! We should be greatful!

It's at the lower doses that most of the damage is done to the brain. So, as you get lower in your taper, you need to slow down. I was only at my high dose of 1.8 for a few weeks. I dropped to 1.2 pretty easily (well, easy is not the right word, but tolerable). At 1.1 my brain came apart. I couldn't function, eat, sleep. I was hospitalized for one day where they tried to c/t detox me. I asked to be released and was discharged AMA. I went home worse than I went in. I got more and more waves over the next 6 weeks and became so phobic about everything I could barely leave the house. Many episodes of feeling like I had fireworks going off in my brain, etc., etc. Lots of calls to our local "warm lines" just to hear a friendly voice.

Then things got a bit better. Then a HUGE wave again. (Which I hear can be a sign of the brain doing some huge healing.) And out of nowhere, just the other day, I got a window that lasted a WHOLE DAY!!!! I enjoyed eating and watching TV again. I slept adequately. I even went outside and picked the Japanese Beetles off of my sapling! (I know, I have such an exciting life. :laugh:

I learned my lesson and have s-l-o-w-e-d d-o-w-n my taper. I'm not giving up. Everybody can get off with patience and determination. :thumbsup:

Again, no rule. There are times when I feel better the lower I go. It's psychology. I'm so glad to move foreward that it gives me a boost of energy.

Stay strong Buddy's!

[e8...]
It's at the lower doses that most of the damage is done to the brain.

I read this a little while ago and it caused an increase in my blood pressure.

I had never heard this but will certainly see what I can find online.

Stay strong, everyone.

:smitten:

Stay strong, everyone.

Same here. I must admit I felt a little uneasy reading this...

Stay strong, everyone.

Sorry, I was trying to be helpful. I was upset when I first read it, too, and didn't want to believe it. And, I admit, ignored it. And paid for ignoring it.

In Xanax Withdrawal Dr. Shipko says that most of his patients needed to slow down below 1.5 mg/day. I cruised past that to 1.2mg, thinking I would be fine. Wrong!

On the other hand, some of the people who were tapering slowly and carefully from the start (such as the micro-taperers) say their brains began to clear of the cog fog as they got near the end.

And then there are those who taper with no trouble. I know a gal who went through a smooth, steady taper for 6 months with few complaints right to the end and has been off now for a long time with no lasting effects. I sure wish I had her genetics!

;)

But how slow is slow. At my current rate I will taper for 640 days. That can't be the way... :'(

„It seems that there are some windows of time when patients are more amenable to tapering,”

„Xanax Withdrawal.” Stuart Shipko. iBooks.

I am hoping I'll have windows like that. No pressure but I'd like to be benzo free in about 8 months...

Again...We never know how it will turn out.

[e8...]

Stay strong, everyone.

Sorry, I was trying to be helpful. I was upset when I first read it, too, and didn't want to believe it. And, I admit, ignored it. And paid for ignoring it.

In Xanax Withdrawal Dr. Shipko says that most of his patients needed to slow down below 1.5 mg/day. I cruised past that to 1.2mg, thinking I would be fine. Wrong!

On the other hand, some of the people who were tapering slowly and carefully from the start (such as the micro-taperers) say their brains began to clear of the cog fog as they got near the end.

And then there are those who taper with no trouble. I know a gal who went through a smooth, steady taper for 6 months with few complaints right to the end and has been off now for a long time with no lasting effects. I sure wish I had her genetics!

I'm confused.

Are there published papers regarding brain damage occurring at the lower doses of benzodiazepine tapering? 

Not to my information.

Again from the book:

„Each patient needs to adjust the tapering according to their own tolerance; there is no one way to do it. Some people taper the last 1.5 mg by .125 mg increments, and some by .25 mg increments and some by 0.625 mg increments. Some patients find that stretching the time between dosages more useful than continued dosage cuts, while some find that it is easier to just cut the dosage”

Shipko, Stuart. „Xanax Withdrawal.”

No word on brain damage.

[e8...]

Not to my information.

Again from the book:

„Each patient needs to adjust the tapering according to their own tolerance; there is no one way to do it. Some people taper the last 1.5 mg by .125 mg increments, and some by .25 mg increments and some by 0.625 mg increments. Some patients find that stretching the time between dosages more useful than continued dosage cuts, while some find that it is easier to just cut the dosage”

Shipko, Stuart. „Xanax Withdrawal.”

No word on brain damage.

Thank you, Mr. Anderson

;)

But how slow is slow. At my current rate I will taper for 640 days. That can't be the way... :'(

„It seems that there are some windows of time when patients are more amenable to tapering,”

„Xanax Withdrawal.” Stuart Shipko. iBooks.

I am hoping I'll have windows like that. No pressure but I'd like to be benzo free in about 8 months...

Again...We never know how it will turn out.

I can so relate to this. I think I will take close to 2 years at the rate I'm going. But, since my big crash, I now test my limits much more slowly and cautiously. The only good thing to say about Xanax is that if you go too fast you feel it pretty quickly so you can catch it pretty quickly and back up if necessary.

I read that, too, in Shipko, about the windows, so I am planning to do some careful attempts at speeding up and see if I can find one of those windows when my brain can handle it.

I'm also considering crossing over to Librium. I need to dose 6 X times a day and it's getting to be very annoying!  :tickedoff:

I think I should clarify what I said, and I'm sorry I can't find the original reference, but what Shipko writes makes me believe it's true that most of the trouble happens at the lower doses.

What benzos do is down-regulate GABA receptors. There are stickies on this site about what that actually involves. It is very complicated, much more complicated than just down-regulating receptors. I can't explain it, but here's a sticky.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=66397.0  The writer calls it "brain injury." Perhaps that's a better term. People think of brain damage as permanent. Sorry, that's not what I meant.

Slow and steady but I find prolonging it for too long counterproductive.

No one wants to crush but we can explain to our minds that some discomfort is just natural part of healing. :thumbsup:

Slow and steady but I find prolonging it for too long counterproductive.

No one wants to crush but we can explain to our minds that some discomfort is just natural part of healing. :thumbsup:

Agreed. There must be some discomfort. It motivates the brain to heal! We each need to set a pace that we can tolerate and move forward.  :thumbsup:

[e8...]

Stay strong, everyone.

I'm confused.

Are there published papers regarding brain damage occurring at the lower doses of benzodiazepine tapering? 

Gardener,

Where did you get this information?    Is this your opinion? 

People read these pages looking for clarity and hope.

Gardener,

Where did you get this information?    Is this your opinion? 

People read these pages looking for clarity and hope.

Please go back a few posts. I already answered this and clarified what I meant. And I would like to point out that I never used giant, bold, scary fonts such as you have done to my words.

I have nothing else to add so I'm done discussing this. Bye bye.