XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Has anyone had any pain from tapering? Recently out of the blue yesterday morning, my legs were killing me (cramping) and had shooting pains until tonight. Now that my legs are fine, my left arm hurts from my wrist to my elbow and it's non stop. Not sure if it's from the withdrawal or it's something else.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone had any pain from tapering? Recently out of the blue yesterday morning, my legs were killing me (cramping) and had shooting pains until tonight. Now that my legs are fine, my left arm hurts from my wrist to my elbow and it's non stop. Not sure if it's from the withdrawal or it's something else.

I was bedridden for a year from the pain caused by tapering. It may be something else for you, but it is possible it's WD. Many people suffer from burning, aching unrelenting pain from benzos. I still have some at 6 ms off but it's not as severe. Hope it will all go as I heal.  :thumbsup:

Grinch

I've had odd pain out of the blue, too. I had the unrelenting burning, but it has lessened tremendously.  :)  If the pain is persistent, it wouldn't hurt to get a doctor's opinion on it, if nothing else to put your mind at rest.

Raven,

Yes, very random pains. Funny, earlier today my left wrist then the wrist to my elbow, and now it's gone. I have also gotten shooting pain down my legs starting at the knee. It's weird and I've never had these pains before so it has to be from W/D.  Rose

@[th...]

@gardener99 Yeah I'm probably going to go to the doc just to make sure it's nothing else.

@rdb Do you mind if I ask what you we're doing when it happened? I was on the computer and out of nowhere my wrist was in so much pain.

@theGrinch1 Hope your pain goes away!

@gardener99 Yeah I'm probably going to go to the doc just to make sure it's nothing else.

@rdb Do you mind if I ask what you we're doing when it happened? I was on the computer and out of nowhere my wrist was in so much pain.

Raven,

No, I don't mind, I was also on the computer, but I was laying on my side on the couch with the laptop on the coffee table, I wasn't even using my left arm. Weird, huh.  Rose

[c5...]

Hi Raven,

Pain has been a large part of this 3rd tapering journey.

Much burning, tingling, bone & joint pain and excruciating right face, trigeminal neuralgia.

It ebbs and flows and heightens if I taper too quickly.

Slow is essential for me.

Take care

Marija.

Hi Raven,

Much burning, tingling, bone & joint pain and excruciating right face, trigeminal neuralgia.

Take care

Marija.

Hi Marija,

Yes, slow it is for me too, way slower than I had hoped. I can't really MT everyday, it seems to catch up and I get slammed down hard with W/D, so I must hold again today until the w/d lightens up and stabilizes. Oh well, a snails progress is better than no progress. I can't believe how very sensitive and touchy my system is :tickedoff: So I have found another truth told here; listen to your body. I have concluded there are no hard and fast rules to taper by. Hope you are doing well, Rose

[c5...]

Hi Raven,

Take care

Marija.

Hi Marija,

Yes, slow it is for me too, way slower than I had hoped. I can't really MT everyday, it seems to catch up and I get slammed down hard with W/D, so I must hold again today until the w/d lightens up and stabilizes. Oh well, a snails progress is better than no progress. I can't believe how very sensitive and touchy my system is :tickedoff: So I have found another truth told here; listen to your body. I have concluded there are no hard and fast rules to taper by. Hope you are doing well, Rose

Rose,

So true!! All paths are unique and listen to your body.

We'll get there .........

Hugs,

Marija 💗

Hi buddies :)  ~~  :smitten: (((((Marija))))) :smitten:

I just wanted to re-post this here, in case it can help any of you!  I am 9 months and 1 day free from benzodiazepines, and so grateful for it!  My taper took much longer than most, but I can tell you that for me, it was worth every "micro" step of it! 

Keep on moving forward, buddies :)  Keep fighting YOUR fight, and running YOUR race!  The finish line is inevitable for those who don't quit...

Mrs. :smitten:

Hi friends :)

9 months free today!  Continuing onward and watching my healing unfold :)

A brief update can be found here: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=139727.0

Love to you,

hi mrs,

How many sx's do you have left?

Hiya mrtmeo!

From my original list of symptoms? Hmmm...let's see here:

Comprehensive list of symptoms experienced along the way (as best I can remember): Panic attacks, feeling on the “verge” of panic (mild & occasional, compared to how it was), “hairline” triggers to panic & fear, intrusive thoughts, generalized anxiety, fear (mild & occasional, compared to how it was), irrational fears (mild & occasional, compared to how it was), health fears (mild & occasional, compared to how it was), travel fears (mild & occasional, compared to how it was), I did not like my husband traveling, I did not like being alone, I did not like storms (mild & occasional, compared to how it was),  sensitivity to “scary” things (i.e. news reports, drama/horror/action movies/TV shows, “bad” news about others’ health, etc) (mild & occasional, compared to how it was), temptation towards agoraphobia, hopelessness, depression, fatigue, tachycardia (mild & occasional, compared to how it was), heavy nausea, watery diarrhea, loose stools, loss of appetite, weight loss, weight gain, “hypoglycemic” type feelings (I was not actually hypoglycemic), dizziness (mild & occasional, compared to how it was), "cog-fog" (mild & getting better each day), D/P / D/R (mild and rare), "boaty” feeling, sensitivity to computer screens, sensitivity to heat, sensitivity to being in the sun, sensitivity to exercise (mild), minor temporary hair loss, felt "feverish" & achey (i.e. "benzo flu"), nail ridges, my digits (fingers/toes) would easily get cold (rare & mild), tremors, shakiness, vibrations sensation (mildly, and only when I eat too much rich food or something silly like that!), sleep disturbances (very mild & intermittent), early wakings (very mild & intermittent), some difficulty falling asleep (very mild & intermittent), sweating (rare), sweating that was smelly, missed a couple menstruation cycles, irritability (mild & occasional, compared to how it was), intensified PMS cycle (rare), my menstruation cycle changed and got longer (from 29-32 days long, to 39-44 days long) <-- my menstruation cycle is completely back to normal now, cycling every 29-32 days like clockwork!)

I think that sounds about right!  :)  EVERYTHING I experience now is VERY mild compared to how it was in the past!  Nonetheless, I look forward to future progress (as we all do), and will press onward to complete this journey back to 100% normal, with nothing missing or broken from pre-benzo years :)  It may take time and effort on my part, and I am aware of this :)  And I'm looking forward to doing my part to see it through to its (benzo withdrawal's) end!

I just wanted to re-post this here, in case it can help any of you!  I am 9 months and 1 day free from benzodiazepines, and so grateful for it!  My taper took much longer than most, but I can tell you that for me, it was worth every "micro" step of it! 

Keep on moving forward, buddies :)  Keep fighting YOUR fight, and running YOUR race!  The finish line is inevitable for those who don't quit...

A brief update can be found here: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=139727.0

Love to you,

hi mrs,

Hiya mrtmeo!

Comprehensive list of symptoms experienced along the way (as best I can remember): Panic attacks, feeling on the “verge” of panic (mild & occasional, compared to how it was), “hairline” triggers to panic & fear, intrusive thoughts, generalized anxiety, fear (mild & occasional, compared to how it was), irrational fears (mild & occasional, compared to how it was), health fears (mild & occasional, compared to how it was), travel fears (mild & occasional, compared to how it was), I did not like my husband traveling, I did not like being alone, I did not like storms (mild & occasional, compared to how it was),  sensitivity to “scary” things (i.e. news reports, drama/horror/action movies/TV shows, “bad” news about others’ health, etc) (mild & occasional, compared to how it was), temptation towards agoraphobia, hopelessness, depression, fatigue, tachycardia (mild & occasional, compared to how it was), heavy nausea, watery diarrhea, loose stools, loss of appetite, weight loss, weight gain, “hypoglycemic” type feelings (I was not actually hypoglycemic), dizziness (mild & occasional, compared to how it was), "cog-fog" (mild & getting better each day), D/P / D/R (mild and rare), "boaty” feeling, sensitivity to computer screens, sensitivity to heat, sensitivity to being in the sun, sensitivity to exercise (mild), minor temporary hair loss, felt "feverish" & achey (i.e. "benzo flu"), nail ridges, my digits (fingers/toes) would easily get cold (rare & mild), tremors, shakiness, vibrations sensation (mildly, and only when I eat too much rich food or something silly like that!), sleep disturbances (very mild & intermittent), early wakings (very mild & intermittent), some difficulty falling asleep (very mild & intermittent), sweating (rare), sweating that was smelly, missed a couple menstruation cycles, irritability (mild & occasional, compared to how it was), intensified PMS cycle (rare), my menstruation cycle changed and got longer (from 29-32 days long, to 39-44 days long) <-- my menstruation cycle is completely back to normal now, cycling every 29-32 days like clockwork!)

I think that sounds about right!  :)  EVERYTHING I experience now is VERY mild compared to how it was in the past!  Nonetheless, I look forward to future progress (as we all do), and will press onward to complete this journey back to 100% normal, with nothing missing or broken from pre-benzo years :)  It may take time and effort on my part, and I am aware of this :)  And I'm looking forward to doing my part to see it through to its (benzo withdrawal's) end!

Wow, this is great news! I'm so happy for you!

Love to you,

hi mrs,

Hiya mrtmeo!

Congratulations on your victory!  So your fingernail ridges disappeared? You had bad sweating before and during tapering? My sweats can be horrendous, laying in bed unable to sleep because the hot feeling internally and cold sweats/cold skin (fan going) It seems to happen if I MT too fast. You give me hope! :smitten:

[c5...]

Congratulations Mrs!!!

I feel that enormous hug 💗 and am encouraged by your thorough updated symptom list.

Wow!

Sitting here at .59 X, I feel a million miles away from completing my journey BUT reading all the benzo celebrations and updates keeps my eyes focused on the future.  This place is amazing with the daily care, encouragement, love, taper strategies, humour, pick-me-ups, hugs and more.

What began as a lonely, excruciatingly painful and alienating experience has become a connected, reaffirming and far less frightening undertaking.

Thank you Mrs, and thank you BB's!

Marija

hi everyone yesterday was 11 months without xanax ! i took xanax for 30 months . what helped me get thru my worst times was Activating doing physical chores around the house, walking , i avoided excess sugar and too much smoking both of those triggered waves, what also helped me alot was keeping my mind very occupied / distracted i did this by doing an old child hood hobby of mine drawing my mind was so focused on what i was doing that made me feel alot better since i wasnt dwelling on how i felt i felt less depression with this hobby because i really did feel good a good sense of accomplishment i felt the same way when i occupied myself doing yard work or washing my car  i got over my worst feelings after 2 months quitting if i could quit all over again i would definitly quit from a smaller dose than 0.0625mg i was cutting a .50 mg in 8 pieces . i wouldve gone thru alot less pain if i had quit from a smaller dose. If any of you folks are concerned about seizures , i've been seizure prone since 11/2004 i did NOT have any seizures from qutting xanax  . I dont want to offend anyone mentioning this but my spiritual faith really helped me during my worst times i think i've become a better person praying i really feel good inside when i come here to tel the new people on here especialy xanax users how i did this i give them hope that they can be successfull quitting because i was in their shoes at one time i explain to them in detail everything i did to win the battle against xanax !

Babyangel, thank you so much for sharing your very encouraging story. Those of us in the trenches need to hear as many of these success stories as possible so we can hold onto hope!

Gard :smitten:

hi Gardener , thanks for the kind reply,i i saw your insomnia problem on your signature  have you ever tried vitamins or supplements to help your sleep? i took vitamin D , C , Mangeisium & potassium all of those helped me sleep 6+ hours each day most of the time i sleep after breakfast for 1-4 hours i take those vitamisn with a cup of milk , milk helps vitamisn be more effective . i also use 2 diffrent pillows i sleep well with  i have a contour pillow its a pillow made of foam and shaped like this o-O  my other pillow i sleep well with is an oversized fluffy pillow i got from walmart it has blue stripes on it i cover only with a bed sheet i leae a fan on low to cover up outside noises i point the fan away from me i also put my hair in a ponytail since strants of my hair brush against my cheeks and disturbs my sleep , im a side sleeper i curl my legs some when i sleep i put one hand under the pilow where my ear is at and the other i have it stretched out . lavendar oil on my neck helps relax me i put some on after my evening shower . canteloupe is also helpfull for sleeping i read about this it smells really good but the taste is ehh..

thanks again for writing back  :smitten::hug: i hope you slept ok last night

Katie (babyangel)

Thanks, babyangel. I burned through every natural and normal sleep aid before I even took my first dose of Xanax. :( Nothing worked. Now I'm alternating a couple of prescription meds that work adequately most nights. I see my sleep doctor on Monday to get his input. My psychiatrist is really not that helpful in the sleep meds department. I have Restless Leg Syndrome and perhaps some PTSD and definitely 100% menopause that all came together to destroy my sleep over a year ago. Before menopause, natural stuff worked for me, so I think it's a major player in this! No HRT for me because my sister has breast cancer, so I use some natural progesterone cream. Maybe when I'm off of these darn benzos, I'll be able to figure out a gentle combination of supplements that will help. I'm really glad you have found stuff that works for you. I don't like using psych meds but am sort of stuck with them for now.

Best wishes with your new benzo-free life!! :smitten:

hi mrs gardener,

have you ever tried trazadone ? a couple of years ago my dr prescribed some to me for insomnia , i didnt take it since i didnt like i was already taking xanax and i didnt want to add on more meds. but i've read that trazadone isnt so addictive like a benzo

hi mrs gardener,

have you ever tried trazadone ? a couple of years ago my dr prescribed some to me for insomnia , i didnt take it since i didnt like i was already taking xanax and i didnt want to add on more meds. but i've read that trazadone isnt so addictive like a benzo

Thanks. I did try it and weaned off. I wan't sure, but it seemed to be causing tachycardia. Haven't had any tach since I weaned off. It was pretty easy to wean off of. I still will take it once in a very great while. I kind of works, I get about half a night sleep.

Just wondering for those tapering Xanax, how soon do you start to feel a difference after a cut? I just made a .0625mg cut this morning from .25mg, and I was going to hold ten days before making the next .0625 cut. Just holding my breath wondering when withdrawal symptoms will kick in.

I'm also on 15mg Valium from a partial crossover. I'm planning to taper my remaining Xanax while holding the Valium dosage. Then start tapering valium once I'm done with Xanax.

Just wondering for those tapering Xanax, how soon do you start to feel a difference after a cut? I just made a .0625mg cut this morning from .25mg, and I was going to hold ten days before making the next .0625 cut. Just holding my breath wondering when withdrawal symptoms will kick in.

I'm also on 15mg Valium from a partial crossover. I'm planning to taper my remaining Xanax while holding the Valium dosage. Then start tapering valium once I'm done with Xanax.

This is interesting. I am partially crossed to Librium (similar to V) and plan to hold where I am with L and taper my Xanax first. I just starting cutting again, also. But I am doing micro-tapering, so I don't feel the cuts so hard and sometimes not at all. Have you considered micro-tapering? Here's the link to the support thread. Great bunch of helpful, positive people over there, except lately we had been gabbing off topic. ;) I think we'd all be happy to have someone show up and ask questions about micro-tapering! ;D

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=135284.0;topicseen

At first glance, micro tapering looks complicated, I'd rather do small dry cuts and only switch to micro tapering as a last resort.

At first glance, micro tapering looks complicated, I'd rather do small dry cuts and only switch to micro tapering as a last resort.

It looked scary to me, too, at first. But I hit a wall and wanted to keep going, so I went over to the MT thread and asked for help. They held my hand and told me what to do step by step. I did what they said and was able to start my taper again after I had held for a month with zero improvement (after tapering too fast). So, if you ever get stuck like that, just go to the MT support thread where you will find the "gurus" (people who have functioning brains who can figure out MT plans for those of us who can't) who give each person individualized attention. They're a great bunch and it's a very positive thread.

BTW, some people are doing MT dry cuts. It's just that they have to be much better at dry cutting than I am to make such tiny cuts. That's why I switched to liquid. Those of us on Xanax are lucky in that it actually comes in a liquid (alprazolam intensol), which makes MT-ing sooooo much simpler. You don't have to dissolve anything. It comes already dissolved. :)

[be...]

Hi Grapejuice,

It seems I felt the full extent of a cut at day 3.      I'm sure others can chime in as to when they started feeling a difference

after a cut.

Wishing you the best in your taper.

Hugs,

Ins

:hug: