Important Survey - Please Participate ×

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Any of you Xanaxers experience ID WD?    I get Cog issues like blurred vision, feel goofy...half here...a bit disoriented....DR.....feel stupid....yada yada...you'll know if u get them.....

I get them mid-Day worst...

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

@INEASY2- I think you are referring to me and how I taper small amounts. Well I have a supply of Tuberculosis syringes that are outdated because they are not with safety needles. I am a retired RN and have a friend who is a Director of Nursing and she had to get rid of them. I toss the needles. Anyway, they are 1 ml syringes that have measurements of 1/10th of a ml and 1/100th. So by dissolving 1mg of Xanax in milk and shaking well I am able to get very small increments to cut down.

Example:  Dissolve 1mg in 1ml liquid

Shake well, waste .1ml into sink, add .1ml liquid back, this gives you .9mg per 1ml liquid

.9mg divided by 5 = .18mg per .20ml of liquid (1ml liquid has 5 doses of .20ml, each has .18mg of Xanax)

If you take 3 doses in 24hrs, as I am, your total is .54mg Xanax in 24 hrs.

Xanax mixes much better in milk or half and half which I use. It settles too quickly in water.

Anyway, you prolly don't have access to 1 ml syringes, but if you have a feed store (for horses, cows) they usually carry 3ml

syringes to use on livestock. Or if you have a veterinarian that you know well you could ask to buy 1ml syringes. If you don't have those options, Xanax does come in liquid form- maybe your doctor would be willing to change over from pills to liquid if you explain what you are doing. Hope some of this can help you- Rose  :thumbsup:

You can get 1 ml oral syringes (no needle and comes with a handy cap) on amazon. I use these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013Y6JK2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

My waves from my last cut are finally settling down to tolerable most of the time, but I am so freaked out I'm afraid to cut again! Any advice?  :(

GARDENER99- Think positive! The fact that the waves have settled down is a reason for confidence that they will again after you make your next cut. It seems to be normal to have a bit of instability of waves of symptoms for a few days after. But there is light at the end of the tunnel, always. Even if you are going two steps forward and one step back, you are still making progress! :thumbsup: Thanks for the syringe tip, but I have lots of them and I use the same one till the marks start to rub off.  ;)

[07...]

Hi Guys

In case anyone else has experience tapering XR, I started my taper today.

My physician refuses to prescribe immediate release saying that it has

high abuse potential.  She won't prescribe immediate release for anyone!

I have been on XR 1 mg since last August, and when I met with her today

telling her I wanted to taper the 1 mg, she proposed a taper of .5 mg  ( reducing me

50%)  -- to take .5 mg/day for approximately 1 month, then continue on .5 mg,

spacing out the intervals between days until I just eventually stop taking it.

Because she refuses to work with me by prescribing the immediate release, I just

cut the 0.5 mg XR tablet.     

My dose for today is .75 mg and I will continue on that for

a couple of weeks.

I'm a bit jittery, hyper-sensitive, having extreme difficulty concentrating

It is beyond disappointing when a physician refuses to work with you when trying to

come off these meds.  But, I have cut the 0.5 mg extended release tablet ( which, btw, does not

seem to be as rock-hard as the 1 mg XR) - and I will continue to cut these tablets

so I can taper at a more reasonable rate.

yes, I know it's extended release - but what choice do I have? 

thanks for listening and for your input.

edit to correct that I physically cut a 0.5 mg tablet (not a 1 mg tablet)

[07...]

Cutting the XRs negates the timed release function of those.  if u didn't know that...

Yes, I know it negates the function.

I have no choice but to cut the XR - she will not prescribe immediate release.

Whatever amount of medication goes into my bloodstream from cutting the XR -

well, it goes in.  My doctor refused to prescribe immediate release!  This is maddening!!!!!!

thanks, for answering me.

I appreciate it. :)

Insomniac22, Your XR Xanax may still work right even when you cut. It all depends on what it is binded with. If the pills look the same inside and out then the pill has some of it's active ingredient coated with something that will take time to break down and then be absorbed into your system. XR Morphine can be cut and it still retains its XR properties. If the pill has a coating then it won't be absorbed until it reaches your small intestines. The coating is made to resist your stomach acids from breaking it down. I know all this because I retired three yrs ago as a Registered Nurse. Even if your pills are designed to not release till it passes your stomach you will still get it into your blood stream. It is important to keep a consistent level in your blood or you will start feeling pretty nasty W/D. I tried cutting like you are and suffered horrible hot flashes/sweats/chills and other w/d symptoms so I made my cuts down to 5-6%, from 10%. It was suggested here to decrease the cuts and it made a big difference. I also split my dose to 3x/day, every 8 hrs to keep blood level consistent. Xanax leaves your system very fast and you can experience withdrawal as soon as 8-12 hrs after your last dose. Be patient and go real slow, it will be much easier on you. Good Luck, Rose  :thumbsup:

[07...]

Insomniac22, Your XR Xanax may still work right even when you cut. It all depends on what it is binded with. If the pills look the same inside and out then the pill has some of it's active ingredient coated with something that will take time to break down and then be absorbed into your system. XR Morphine can be cut and it still retains its XR properties. If the pill has a coating then it won't be absorbed until it reaches your small intestines. The coating is made to resist your stomach acids from breaking it down. I know all this because I retired three yrs ago as a Registered Nurse. Even if your pills are designed to not release till it passes your stomach you will still get it into your blood stream. It is important to keep a consistent level in your blood or you will start feeling pretty nasty W/D. I tried cutting like you are and suffered horrible hot flashes/sweats/chills and other w/d symptoms so I made my cuts down to 5-6%, from 10%. It was suggested here to decrease the cuts and it made a big difference. I also split my dose to 3x/day, every 8 hrs to keep blood level consistent. Xanax leaves your system very fast and you can experience withdrawal as soon as 8-12 hrs after your last dose. Be patient and go real slow, it will be much easier on you. Good Luck, Rose  :thumbsup:

Rose, thank you very much for your response!  So kind of you to take

time to go over this with me. 

Well, there is a coating on the outside of the 0.5 mg tablet.

The inside of the tablet is more powdery in nature.

Within about 30-40 minutes of taking the additional 0.25 mg (cut pill), I

could feel the impact of the med.

The physician's proposed 50% dosage reduction is just plain ridiculous!

I can believe you suffered nasty symptoms from making a massive cut like that -

as it is, I have a whopping headache this morning & am having a terrible time

concentrating.   

I will continue to cut these tablets or perhaps turn the tabs into powder.

Too, I'll work out the best time of day for me to take the

med so I am not randomly taking my dose(s). 

Thank you, Rose

Thank you fellow BB's

Ins

:) 

GARDENER99- Think positive! The fact that the waves have settled down is a reason for confidence that they will again after you make your next cut. It seems to be normal to have a bit of instability of waves of symptoms for a few days after. But there is light at the end of the tunnel, always. Even if you are going two steps forward and one step back, you are still making progress! :thumbsup: Thanks for the syringe tip, but I have lots of them and I use the same one till the marks start to rub off.  ;)

Thanks, rbd, for the encouraging words. I had a week of pretty intense anxiety that I thought it was never going to end. Now I have windows more than waves but am generally on edge. And my sleep is awful. I feel too tired to face another week like that. My daughter is away for the summer, so it's just my son with me. Seeing him so stressed from this just makes me feel worse. (Husband bailed out years ago when I just began to get ill.)

I wonder if you have any advice about cuts. I use liquid alprazolam and can measure it as small as .02mg. I dose 6 times a day, totaling 1.10mg. At first the .02 cut felt like almost nothing. Now I wonder if it's too much. I need to be able to function. I can't rely on my college kids to take care of me and I have no one else.

I echo this. Cutting won't completely negate the timed release, just change it.

insomniac22, I also agree that that was a very big cut! And I actually need to dose 6 times a day. I seem to metabolize Xanax very, very rapidly. I read that the half life for some people is as short as 2-3 hours. I'm thinking that's me.  >:(

Can you find another doctor, insomniac22?? If not, my thought would be you're on the right track, but perhaps you should experiment with the effects of cutting vs. crushing and how it affects you before you make cuts at all. You know, change one thing at a time and slowly.

Good luck. It's tricky but you'll figure this out.

Hi Guys

telling her I wanted to taper the 1 mg, she proposed a taper of .5 mg  ( reducing me

50%)  -- to take .5 mg/day for approximately 1 month, then continue on .5

Because she refuses to work with me by prescribing the immediate release, I just

a couple of weeks.

It is beyond disappointing when a physician refuses to work with you when trying to

come off these meds.  But, I have cut the 0.5 mg extended release tablet ( which, btw, does not

seem to be as rock-hard as the 1 mg XR) - and I will continue to cut these tablets

Hey Insomniac22,

Sorry your doctor won't give you some of the Xanax IR to help with your tapering.  When I started cutting my doctor gave me some suggestions on how to do it.  One of the ways was to start spacing the XR's out.  He said this way was an option that some of his patients chose because they did not want to mess with both the XR and IR.  He said it isn't the best way but is can work.  I was told not to cut the pills because of the way the XR is released.  You get half the dosage immediately and then the rest released throughout the day. However,  someone (on here) have told me that they cut the XR version and it worked for them.  Good Luck.  :)

Monique

[07...]

I echo this. Cutting won't completely negate the timed release, just change it.

insomniac22, I also agree that that was a very big cut! And I actually need to dose 6 times a day. I seem to metabolize Xanax very, very rapidly. I read that the half life for some people is as short as 2-3 hours. I'm thinking that's me.  >:(

Can you find another doctor, insomniac22?? If not, my thought would be you're on the right track, but perhaps you should experiment with the effects of cutting vs. crushing and how it affects you before you make cuts at all. You know, change one thing at a time and slowly.

Good luck. It's tricky but you'll figure this out.

Gardener

Thank you so much for reaching out to me.

Very good advice to not change too many things at one time!

In terms of the doctor situation, I could try to find another but have very little faith

that I'd find anyone who would be helpful.  Sad that we get beaten down this way.

For now I think I will stick with cutting vs crushing - knowing that I can always move to the latter option.

I am only taking my med once daily; this is something I may want to change as I go through this

so I am not going long periods with no medication in my system.

Hope your weekend goes well.  Thank you, again.

:smitten:

[07...]

Hi Guys

50%)  -- to take .5 mg/day for approximately 1 month, then continue on .5

a couple of weeks.

Hey Insomniac22,

Sorry your doctor won't give you some of the Xanax IR to help with your tapering.  When I started cutting my doctor gave me some suggestions on how to do it.  One of the ways was to start spacing the XR's out.  He said this way was an option that some of his patients chose because they did not want to mess with both the XR and IR.  He said it isn't the best way but is can work.  I was told not to cut the pills because of the way the XR is released.  You get half the dosage immediately and then the rest released throughout the day. However,  someone (on here) have told me that they cut the XR version and it worked for them.  Good Luck.  :)

Monique

Hi Monique

Thank you for responding.

Yes, it is unfortunate that physicians are unwilling to work with us when trying to taper.

I will have to work with what I have, which will mean cutting the med and will remain hopeful that I'll reach my goal

The input from all of you is certainly valuable.

Wishing you the best with your taper; I see you are on both XR and IR. 

Glad you have someone who is willing to work with you. :thumbsup:

You are so kind to reach out to me.

Ins :smitten: 

Help.  Went to see psychiatrist today. I though I can find support on tapering Xanex.  But he said I will never get of Xanex because it highly addictive and now I have to switch to Klonopin.  We wants me to start at 1  mg tonight.    So disappointed and heart broken

@INSOMNIAC22- I am thinking all the things you are experiencing, jitteriness, concentration problems etc are all interdose withdrawal symptoms. If you are taking Xanax just once a day then there is no doubt you are suffering from interdose w/d. I have to take it 3x a day to lessen those symptoms, some people more than that. Originally I was taking it twice a day and suffering awful interdose w/d but had no idea I was until reading about it here. Dividing my doses to 3x/day really really helped. It takes about 12-24 hrs to feel better. ;)

[07...]

@INSOMNIAC22- I am thinking all the things you are experiencing, jitteriness, concentration problems etc are all interdose withdrawal symptoms. If you are taking Xanax just once a day then there is no doubt you are suffering from interdose w/d. I have to take it 3x a day to lessen those symptoms, some people more than that. Originally I was taking it twice a day and suffering awful interdose w/d but had no idea I was until reading about it here. Dividing my doses to 3x/day really really helped. It takes about 12-24 hrs to feel better. ;)

Hi, Rose

I think you are absolutely right about this.

Have probably had this inter-dose w/d for quite some time

For this taper, I am going to break up the doses to at least twice a day

Taking it once a day, makes no sense

I SO appreciate your help

Tomorrow will be day 3 of this taper...will see how things go...

Hope you weekend is off to a good start.

You are so helpful

Big Hugs, Ins :smitten:

[07...]

Help.  Went to see psychiatrist today. I though I can find support on tapering Xanex.  But he said I will never get of Xanex because it highly addictive and now I have to switch to Klonopin.  We wants me to start at 1  mg tonight.    So disappointed and heart broken

Hi Vika,

What an incredible statement made by this psychiatrist.

Of course you can get off the medication!

Your Xanax dose is 0.5 mg? 

and he wants you to switch to Klonopin instead of tapering off the .5?

Others will chime in here to support you.

Do not let one ridiculous statement leave you hopeless.

Sending you a huge hug, Vika

:hug:

So he wants you to switch over to klonopin and taper from that?  I sort of understand his reasoning considering klonopin has a much longer half-life than Xanax and switching to a longer lasting benzo is often recommended, but considering your short term use, I'm not sure it's really necessary.

Pound for pound, klonopin and Xanax are usually considered equal (1mg of Xanax = 1mg of klonopin).  How are you feeling on .25 of Xanax?  If symptoms are manageable, I definitely wouldn't updose to 1mg of klonopin.  How much Xanax do you have left?  Enough to finish your currently planned taper (I'm not outright saying you should disobey your doctor, I'm just saying...)?

If you're forced to switch to klonopin, in theory, it shouldn't create too much of an issue.  But if I were in your shoes and had to switch, I definitely wouldn't updose to 1mg of klonopin.  If I felt stable at .25 Xanax, I'd stay at .25 of klonopin and continue with my taper. 

I can manage y symptoms.  Righ now I have more anxious because of this appointment.  Have little or no symptoms in the evening.  Sleep is the worst.  I am lucky if I get 4 hours.  Seeng my primary on Tuesday. Will ask him for .25. Mg

I can manage y symptoms.  Righ now I have more anxious because of this appointment.  Have little or no symptoms in the evening.  Sleep is the worst.  I am lucky if I get 4 hours.  Seeng my primary on Tuesday. Will ask him for .25. Mg

There is an e-book on amazon called Xanax Withdrawal written by Dr. Shipko. He has tapered many of his patients straight off of Xanax.

My doctor did consider the switch to clonazepam for me, but decided to try the Xanax taper first. What is making it work for me so far is taking the Xanax and dividing into tiny doses spread throughout the day. I use the alarm on my cell phone to remind me so I take each dose at exactly the same time every day.

I find taking the liquid form, alprazolam intensol, makes dividing into very small doses much, much easier. The dropper that comes in the bottle is so-so. I bought oral syringes on amazon to make the dosing more precise.

Also, X and K are not agreed by everyone to be 1:1. There's a lot of disagreement about conversions, unfortunately.

Good luck. Hope your primary will work with you on this.

Hi Vika,

What an incredible statement made by this psychiatrist.

Of course you can get off the medication!

Your Xanax dose is 0.5 mg? 

and he wants you to switch to Klonopin instead of tapering off the .5?

Others will chime in here to support you.

Do not let one ridiculous statement leave you hopeless.

Sending you a huge hug, Vika

:hug:

Vika,

Several of us have tapered directly off xanax. I tapered directly off of 6 mgs alone with no support from a medical person. Just a pdoc who prescribed the medication and help of bb and my husband. It can be done. Is it hard? Yes. But not impossible. Your doc should be ....I better  :-X before I say something mean. My taper was brutal but I was determined to come off and made it through. I believe if a person wants it bad enough, it can be done. And really, K is no picnic either. Every single benzo has a plethora of issues that come along with it. You need to decide what is best for you. If that is switching than so be it, if you want to attempt to come off xanax directly than there are enough people on the site who can assist you. You can see by my sig that I was very meticulous isn cutting on time like clockwork every week or so but I dosed 4xday and cut very small amounts. Although I kept with the dry cut method throughout, many people have better luck with the microtaper. I just didn't have any patience for that  :crazy:. But it has saved many bbs. The most important thing IMO with this tapering and wd journey is to find a path, make a plan, and stick to it. Regardless of what anyone else is doing.  :thumbsup:

Grinch