Important Survey - Please Participate ×

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I started  xanex at the end of April.  After 4 weeks stoped  c /t and ended up in urgent care.  Since June 4. I take 3/4 of .5  mg.  Attempting to stay on that dose for 2 weeks and take 1/2 pill  for the next 2 weeks also.  Since I am a short time user.  Am I  prolonging my addiction?

Welcome Vika. Even tough you have been on Xanax just a short time, it is very possible you have become accidentally addicted. It is going to be much easier on your body and mind if you slowly taper off.

Blue :smitten:

tomorrow is 9 months i quit xanax. i want to tell you folks this is very do able , if your worried about having seizures from quitting i never had any even though i had seizures occasioanlly 0-4 times a year ever since 11/2004  i quit from 0.0625 mg acute withdrawals lasted 2 months it wasnt constantly feeling yucky i felt hours and hours of acute relief if i just went for a walk i walked for just 10 minutes and BAM those withwithdrawals were gone for hours so i highly recommend this dont wait until you start feelin bad to go for a walk i suggest do it early i activated on my feet alot pushing mower or standing washing dishes by hand for over an hour each day . just try to avoid excess sugar and smoking if your a smoker those reved up withdrawals for me it was like that longer than acute lasted so refrain from those for 6 months . i feel better than ever now i increased my time and speed to running 30 minutes eahc morning i excercise more in the evenings . insomnia may be a problem after quitting i took magnesium, vitamin D & vitamin C all 3 of those worked wonders to sleep more i had to take nappys during the day so i took those 3 vitamins at same time afterbreakfast and it made me sleep another 2-3 hours chamomille tea helped me alot i took that in the evenings after i exercised and showered i soaked in the bathtub 20- 30 miutes after shower it was so relaxing i massaged my shoulders neck and upper back in tub since those areas get tense from stress of withdrawals .

i really want to wish you folks the best of luck if i could do this all over again i would do a water taper to make the 0.0625mg smaller . God bless you

Katie (babyangel)

I started  xanex at the end of April.  After 4 weeks stoped  c /t and ended up in urgent care.  Since June 4. I take 3/4 of .5  mg.  Attempting to stay on that dose for 2 weeks and take 1/2 pill  for the next 2 weeks also.  Since I am a short time user.  Am I  prolonging my addiction?

Your situation is almost identical to mine.  I went with a somewhat rapid taper (see details in sig).

I think you could probably go a little faster than cuts every two weeks since you're a short term user, Xanax withdrawal symptoms show up pretty quickly, unlike the long acting benzos.  Rayman was able to do five day cuts.  His taper schedule is a good example of a reasonable taper for a short term user.

Your situation is almost identical to mine.  I went with a somewhat rapid taper (see details in sig).

Rayman,

did you cut the pills.    I have  .5 mg

Rayman,

did you cut the pills.    I have  .5 mg

I only had 1mg pills.  I could quarter them somewhat successfully, but once I got to where I needed doses smaller than .25, I had to switch to liquid titration.  This was a bit of a hassle, but it wasn't too difficult to do.

tomorrow is 9 months i quit xanax. i want to tell you folks this is very do able , if your worried about having seizures from quitting i never had any even though i had seizures occasioanlly 0-4 times a year ever since 11/2004  i quit from 0.0625 mg acute withdrawals lasted 2 months it wasnt constantly feeling yucky i felt hours and hours of acute relief if i just went for a walk i walked for just 10 minutes and BAM those withwithdrawals were gone for hours so i highly recommend this dont wait until you start feelin bad to go for a walk i suggest do it early i activated on my feet alot pushing mower or standing washing dishes by hand for over an hour each day . just try to avoid excess sugar and smoking if your a smoker those reved up withdrawals for me it was like that longer than acute lasted so refrain from those for 6 months . i feel better than ever now i increased my time and speed to running 30 minutes eahc morning i excercise more in the evenings . insomnia may be a problem after quitting i took magnesium, vitamin D & vitamin C all 3 of those worked wonders to sleep more i had to take nappys during the day so i took those 3 vitamins at same time afterbreakfast and it made me sleep another 2-3 hours chamomille tea helped me alot i took that in the evenings after i exercised and showered i soaked in the bathtub 20- 30 miutes after shower it was so relaxing i massaged my shoulders neck and upper back in tub since those areas get tense from stress of withdrawals .

i really want to wish you folks the best of luck if i could do this all over again i would do a water taper to make the 0.0625mg smaller . God bless you

Katie (babyangel)

Thanks for sharing. I find that going for long walks is very helpful also. Unfortunately, my old knees and feet ache from walking so much!

How are you now, Rayman?

I am stuck. I tapered down to 1.0 and the had to up-dose to 1.1mg because I fell apart at the seams and did not want to end up inpatient again. I have been holding and am starting to feel I may be getting back to my "normal" withdrawal symptoms of many mini but tolerable waves of anxiety most days, worse when my sleep is poor. I have ptsd and have been triggered and triggered to the point I lost hope and see no future for myself. The triggering is getting less and less, also, but my hope is still not there.

I am scared to cut again. I wonder if I should hold another week or try another cut. I have had some other stressors recently that have made this worse, too. And I am VERY CRABBY and annoying my kids. I feel for them and what they have had to put up with. I worry that my son, especially, is becoming depressed because of my waves and mood swings. I'm mad at myself for the things I have said to people who have annoyed me (such as one person who promised she would do something and then didn't and I about bit her head off). I don't like me this way and I'm pretty sure nobody else does either.

It's hard to tell what part of this is the withdrawal and what part of this is the other stuff (very sick kid, unexpected bills, conflict with son, etc.). Part of me wants to hold until I settle down, give me and my kids a  break. Part of me wants to go forward rather than stay on this awful med longer and possibly damage myself further. But I'm afraid to move in any direction.  :(

Advice, anyone? 

How are you now, Rayman?

Other than random increased tinnitus in my left ear (I've always had tinnitus, but after my strange flare-up of symptoms in April of 2014 it increased in my left ear) any issues related to Xanax usage are long gone. 

I am stuck. I tapered down to 1.0 and the had to up-dose to 1.1mg because I fell apart at the seams and did not want to end up inpatient again. I have been holding and am starting to feel I may be getting back to my "normal" withdrawal symptoms of many mini but tolerable waves of anxiety most days, worse when my sleep is poor. I have ptsd and have been triggered and triggered to the point I lost hope and see no future for myself. The triggering is getting less and less, also, but my hope is still not there.

I am scared to cut again. I wonder if I should hold another week or try another cut. I have had some other stressors recently that have made this worse, too. And I am VERY CRABBY and annoying my kids. I feel for them and what they have had to put up with. I worry that my son, especially, is becoming depressed because of my waves and mood swings. I'm mad at myself for the things I have said to people who have annoyed me (such as one person who promised she would do something and then didn't and I about bit her head off). I don't like me this way and I'm pretty sure nobody else does either.

It's hard to tell what part of this is the withdrawal and what part of this is the other stuff (very sick kid, unexpected bills, conflict with son, etc.). Part of me wants to hold until I settle down, give me and my kids a  break. Part of me wants to go forward rather than stay on this awful med longer and possibly damage myself further. But I'm afraid to move in any direction.  :(

Advice, anyone?

Oh gardener, I can feel your frustration in your post.  This would be so much easier for families if this was an acknowledged syndrome, but the lack of validation makes it harder for us and for our friends and families.

Because you have so much going on, why not try holding a few more days?  Maybe things will settle down by then, but you can take this a day at a time and cut when you feel ready. 

As far as what part is withdrawal and what part is life stress, who knows.  There is no way to know, only that stress amps everything up, that much is indisputable. I held my Xanax taper from Thanksgiving until after New Year's the year I tapered and it worked out fine. 

I wouldn't push myself to make a taper decision right now.  Give yourself the freedom to see how you feel tomorrow. Or the next day. 

How are you now, Rayman?

Other than random increased tinnitus in my left ear (I've always had tinnitus, but after my strange flare-up of symptoms in April of 2014 it increased in my left ear) any issues related to Xanax usage are long gone.

I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I knew someone who had tinnitus for many years and then suddenly it stopped. Maybe yours will, too!

Advice, anyone?

Oh gardener, I can feel your frustration in your post.  This would be so much easier for families if this was an acknowledged syndrome, but the lack of validation makes it harder for us and for our friends and families.

Because you have so much going on, why not try holding a few more days?  Maybe things will settle down by then, but you can take this a day at a time and cut when you feel ready. 

As far as what part is withdrawal and what part is life stress, who knows.  There is no way to know, only that stress amps everything up, that much is indisputable. I held my Xanax taper from Thanksgiving until after New Year's the year I tapered and it worked out fine. 

I wouldn't push myself to make a taper decision right now.  Give yourself the freedom to see how you feel tomorrow. Or the next day.

Thanks, Challis. I'll do that. I just got back from retreat that was good (got me out of the house and meeting people) but very tiring. Holding for a few days is probably a good idea.

Gardener, are you doing .0625mg cuts?

Not sure I want to tell you how fast I was cutting because you will scold me!  :laugh:

Confession time: I have a liquid form of Xanax that I can measure in .02mg increments. I take 6 doses a day, now totaling 1.10mg. When I cut, I choose one of the 6 doses and cut off .02 mg. I was doing that every two or three days depending on how I felt. Then I got it in my head that I wanted to get rid of the middle of the night dose because it was random as to when I took it, sometimes very close to my morning dose. I was worried that was messing up my taper. So I cut that night dose down by .02mg per day for several days. Big mistake. Too fast, plus I cannot go without that middle of the night dose. I seem to metabolize Xanax very fast. Came unglued. Quickly put the night dose back on where it was before I started the rapid cutting. Now my doses are 5x .18mg plus .20mg at bedtime spaced as close to 4 hours apart as possible. Have been holding for 5 days feeling awful and hopeless (though the retreat center was very nice and peaceful which helped keep me from coming completely unglued, except for that one phone argument I had, should have turned off my phone) and wondering if I had done permanent damage. Today starting to feel like I'm getting back to tolerable symptoms. Thanks heavens.

I think you could probably go a little faster than cuts every two weeks since you're a short term user, Xanax withdrawal symptoms show up pretty quickly, unlike the long acting benzos.  Rayman was able to do five day cuts.  His taper schedule is a good example of a reasonable taper for a short term user.

If symptoms show up pretty quickly like you say will it make me more miserable and I would have to take the cut dose longer anyways?

If symptoms show up pretty quickly like you say will it make me more miserable and I would have to take the cut dose longer anyways?

My experience is yes, it makes you more miserable. I am regretting trying to cut more quickly and am having to hold now. But, I just had to try it to see if I could do it. The answer is no and I will proceed more slowly.

@Vika- I don't believe you would be prolonging the dependency if you slowed down on the amount you are cutting and the time between the cuts. The most important thing is to ease your body slowly back into it's previous state prior to taking Xanax. From what I've read, a person can become dependent with just a few doses. It's an extremely powerful drug, that's why it comes in small amounts. If you CT or cut too fast or too drastically you risk developing PAWS- post acute withdrawal syndrome which is horrible, it can last years. So, be gentle with your withdrawal. I know myself I wish I could just stop it now, but I have learned the hard way of cutting too much too soon. Now I cut about 5%-6% every two to three weeks, and even at that I still have a noticeable increase of W/D symptoms for a few days, then my brain adjusts and they ease off. Wish you well! :)

@Vika- I don't believe you would be prolonging the dependency if you slowed down on the amount you are cutting and the time between the cuts. The most important thing is to ease your body slowly back into it's previous state prior to taking Xanax. From what I've read, a person can become dependent with just a few doses. It's an extremely powerful drug, that's why it comes in small amounts. If you CT or cut too fast or too drastically you risk developing PAWS- post acute withdrawal syndrome which is horrible, it can last years. So, be gentle with your withdrawal. I know myself I wish I could just stop it now, but I have learned the hard way of cutting too much too soon. Now I cut about 5%-6% every two to three weeks, and even at that I still have a noticeable increase of W/D symptoms for a few days, then my brain adjusts and they ease off. Wish you well! :)

Hi vika

I notice that you taper in small amounts from xanax. How do you cut the pills without just getting powder?

You say ".937mg, ,.875mg,.812mg" etc. How can you reduce in such small amounts? It is the best way, but I don't know how to do that.

Hi vika

I notice that you taper in small amounts from xanax. How do you cut the pills without just getting powder?

You say ".937mg, ,.875mg,.812mg" etc. How can you reduce in such small amounts? It is the best way, but I don't know how to do that.

Chiming in here. When I tapered off of trazodone I did dry cutting and used a jewelers scale I bought on amazon to weigh the pieces. I cut pieces and sometimes shaved powder off the edge to get the right weight. Lots of times I threw actual crumbs away. I would cut several days of pills at a time and put them in tiny bags zip-top bags that I got at a craft store to hold the pieces so I didn't have to do the darn cutting every day. I wrote the weight of each dose on the tiny bag with a sharpie marker.

Here's the scale.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ESHDGOI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

The bags were like this.

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Self-Single-Zipper-2x3in/dp/B000OVJZ5G/ref=sr_1_10?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1434588461&sr=1-10&keywords=zip+top+bags

@[IN...]

Example:  Dissolve 1mg in 1ml liquid

Shake well, waste .1ml into sink, add .1ml liquid back, this gives you .9mg per 1ml liquid

.9mg divided by 5 = .18mg per .20ml of liquid (1ml liquid has 5 doses of .20ml, each has .18mg of Xanax)

If you take 3 doses in 24hrs, as I am, your total is .54mg Xanax in 24 hrs.

Xanax mixes much better in milk or half and half which I use. It settles too quickly in water.

Anyway, you prolly don't have access to 1 ml syringes, but if you have a feed store (for horses, cows) they usually carry 3ml

syringes to use on livestock. Or if you have a veterinarian that you know well you could ask to buy 1ml syringes. If you don't have those options, Xanax does come in liquid form- maybe your doctor would be willing to change over from pills to liquid if you explain what you are doing. Hope some of this can help you- Rose  :thumbsup: