Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Pamster, my physical W/D Symptoms are extremely manageable.  It's just the cognitive ones.  Yes, I can do daily tasks, it just takes longer and is harder.  The Cognitive and memory issues are the worst!  I feel like Patrick from Sponge Bod Square Pants!  I have a part time job that I need to think for, house to manage, kid, husband, dogs, etc., etc.. you get it.  Sometimes, it's just downright scary- the memory issues that is!!  I push myself to keep working out and that is helping. I am feeling a little better since the last cut, I was just wondering how long each cut's W/D symptoms lasted typically OR is this extremely different for everyone? 

I am not going back EVER- I am not making a cut until next week (that's even if I make one), I may stay on this dose until I can think better- but does that ever happen during the taper?  OR are you just left this way until you are done tapering?

I have an appointment with my Psychiatrist Monday and of course I will discuss this all with him, just wondering what those people tapering from Valium had experienced.

I remember those daily tasks, the physical ones, I was telling someone a couple of days ago how long it took me to get a couch cushion back on after I'd washed it, ridiculous!  :o  Although I don't know who Patrick is, I can relate to cognitive issues, I had a job too and had to write notes and lists to myself because I couldn't think or remember. 

I wish I could give you the benefit of my experience but I didn't taper but when I'd welcome people to the forum I used to say that we suggest reducing your dose every week or two, I've since started saying every couple of weeks because it seems like most members no matter what drug they're tapering from do better with bi-weekly or even monthly reductions.  This is my broad way of saying, I like your idea to hold until you can think better.  It seems to me that cog fog is like any other symptom and may wax and wane so hopefully yours will ease a bit. 

A word of caution about this question:  "OR are you just left this way until you are done tapering?"  Done tapering and recovered are two different things with two different time frames, I hope you're prepared for what may come after you're benzo free.

I hope this is in the right forum.

I use valium

I do not know how long it takes for my symptoms to show after cutting (lag-time)and would like to know from as many valium users as possible how long it takes for symptoms to show after cutting, reducing or stopping, as I think I might have made a mistake, too worried to go into it, and don't know how long I will have to wait to see if I have got away with mistake without suffering.

Thanks

Hi Pamster

My taper method is dry cutting by 1mg, probably too infrequently.

A month is the shortest time I think I wait before a cut.

I updated my signature line, I will start vodka titration when I get to 10mgs.

It's been ten days now, I would hope that if symptoms were to show because of 4 days being enough to get me tolerant to 30mg, they would have shown by now.

If I am not incorrect, I think long lag-times are rare and most people get symptoms sooner, but I might be wrong.

What is your taper method, your signature doesn't provide any information.

I use valium

I do not know how long it takes for my symptoms to show after cutting (lag-time)and would like to know from as many valium users as possible how long it takes for symptoms to show after cutting, reducing or stopping, as I think I might have made a mistake, too worried to go into it, and don't know how long I will have to wait to see if I have got away with mistake without suffering.

Thanks

Thanks, it's helpful to know most people feel symptoms after 3-4 days.

I once read on here someone got them after 17 days, while I am sorry for them, that must be rare, I would think, I think I am out of the woods.

Hi journey - for me I feel reductions 3-5 days after dropping. Symptoms peak around a week, then over 10-14 days clear up a bit. I think that’s pretty varied for people.

Most say they feel symptoms of cuts within 3-4 days though.

I use valium

Thanks

Hi Pamster

It's been ten days now, I would hope that if symptoms were to show because of 4 days being enough to get me tolerant to 30mg, they would have shown by now.

If I am not incorrect, I think long lag-times are rare and most people get symptoms sooner, but I might be wrong.

I'm not sure where the 30 mgs is coming from but it sounds like you're reassured you're going to be okay.

Are you reducing according to your symptoms or a schedule?

I use valium

Thanks

Hi Pamster

I'm not sure where the 30 mgs is coming from but it sounds like you're reassured you're going to be okay.

I got the yellow and white pills mixed up, managed to put yellow ones in white pill box, I have low light in my room, should have put main light on, I took 30mg instead of 18mg for four days, I thought four days was enough to get tolerant to, and need 30mg, and that I would withdraw, and as valium has a lag time, I would not know straight away if I got symptoms.

I am reassured now, thankfully.

I use valium

Thanks

Hi Pamster

I got the yellow and white pills mixed up, managed to put yellow ones in white pill box, I have low light in my room, should have put main light on, I took 30mg instead of 18mg for four days, I thought four days was enough to get tolerant to, and need 30mg, and that I would withdraw, and as valium has a lag time, I would not know straight away if I got symptoms.

I'm happy you're reassured, and I know how easy it is to mix things up, even for those not going through withdrawal.  We'll just consider your mistake a one off dose increase which shouldn't be a problem.  :thumbsup:

I use valium

Thanks

Hi Pamster

I'm happy you're reassured, and I know how easy it is to mix things up, even for those not going through withdrawal.  We'll just consider your mistake a one off dose increase which shouldn't be a problem.  :thumbsup:

I thought I was just paranoid that I had made such an error, but when I did the maths, it showed that I had, I wouldn't have worried if it was a single dose, but 4 days, I am so relieved.

They say you never lose benzo tolerance, however if I take all my days doses in 1 day I would be really sleepy, I don't know if that's because I take progesterone, as there are some horror stories on here, and I got hung up on those horror stories, about valium dependent women being unable to just come off progesterone.

I remember those daily tasks, the physical ones, I was telling someone a couple of days ago how long it took me to get a couch cushion back on after I'd washed it, ridiculous!  :o  Although I don't know who Patrick is, I can relate to cognitive issues, I had a job too and had to write notes and lists to myself because I couldn't think or remember.

I wish I could give you the benefit of my experience but I didn't taper but when I'd welcome people to the forum I used to say that we suggest reducing your dose every week or two, I've since started saying every couple of weeks because it seems like most members no matter what drug they're tapering from do better with bi-weekly or even monthly reductions.  This is my broad way of saying, I like your idea to hold until you can think better.  It seems to me that cog fog is like any other symptom and may wax and wane so hopefully yours will ease a bit.

A word of caution about this question:  "OR are you just left this way until you are done tapering?"  Done tapering and recovered are two different things with two different time frames, I hope you're prepared for what may come after you're benzo free.

Pamster- I am not sure how to post here, so if this is wrong, just tell me!  Ha!

Thanks for sharing your experiences!  I do the same thing with the lists and notes everywhere!  Yes, I am prepared....I did temporarily forget about the after the benzos are done- see, cognitive issues!  I know it could take years to heal!  I am prepared, at least I will be free of them!! 

NIKITIS!

You did it! Congratulations 🎉

The healing can truly begin! Keep us posted on how you’re doing!

So happy for you!

Tree

Pamster- I am not sure how to post here, so if this is wrong, just tell me!  Ha!

Thanks for sharing your experiences!  I do the same thing with the lists and notes everywhere!  Yes, I am prepared....I did temporarily forget about the after the benzos are done- see, cognitive issues!  I know it could take years to heal!  I am prepared, at least I will be free of them!!

You sound like you had a struggle.

I think weekly is too fast personally.

This is why I personally preferred the daily titration.

While I am dry cutting now, it is just for convenience, at 18mg, 1mg cuts are easy, but when I get lower I will titrate daily.

I see a stepped taper like steps, a bump with each cut, whereas to plot a daily titration on a graph it would, to me, appear like a smooth curve, and no aftermath.

Best of luck in your healing.

Hi all,

I'm relatively new here. Currently on 2.8mg of Zopiclone (Lunesta) which is a z-drug (have tapered down from 15mg), but a bit stuck and considering switching to Valium as it has a longer half life.

Just wondering if anyone has made the change from Zopiclone (Lunesta) to Valium and thought it was a good idea (or regretted the decision).

I was prescribed Zopiclone for sleep, so concerned that switching to Valium will not be as effective. Also concerned that I might be swapping a z-drug for a benzo and therefore swapping one shit show for another.  :D

Would appreciate any and all thoughts.

:)

Hi all,

I'm relatively new here. Currently on 2.8mg of Zopiclone (Lunesta) which is a z-drug (have tapered down from 15mg), but a bit stuck and considering switching to Valium as it has a longer half life.

Just wondering if anyone has made the change from Zopiclone (Lunesta) to Valium and thought it was a good idea (or regretted the decision).

I was prescribed Zopiclone for sleep, so concerned that switching to Valium will not be as effective. Also concerned that I might be swapping a z-drug for a benzo and therefore swapping one shit show for another.  :D

Hi PT welcome, unfortunately I’m not familiar with z drugs but I’m sure some members will who are will reply. My 2 cents is based on reading only that I’d stay away from benzos. I hear z drugs are hard but benzos are the worst. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful but wish you the best on your decision and taper

Joeb

Hi all,

I'm feel the same as Joeb, I'm much more afraid of benzo's than z-drugs but from what I've gathered from members who have taken Zopiclone, its a particularly nasty one.  I believe Shayna 78 crossed over, she still pops in now and then so you might want to check out her posts.

I feel the same as Joeb, I'm much more afraid of benzo's than z-drugs but from what I've gathered from members who have taken Zopiclone, its a particularly nasty one.  I believe Shayna 78 crossed over, she still pops in now and then so you might want to check out her posts.

Thanks Pamster. I'll try and get in touch with her.

x

Edit: Fixed quote.

Congratulations Nikitis, this is wonderful news!  That mix up at the end is not a big deal, you've done the work and a one off dose mistake won't even register on your radar.  What will is worrying about it so be happy, make a post on the Benzo-free Celebrations (& Milestones) board and let us celebrate your achievement!  :yippee:

Thanks Pamster! I remember back in 2020 when I was in the middle of learning about benzo withdrawal and I was on Ativan, messing around trying to taper with my psychiatrist who wouldn't agree to prescribe more than 7 mg of valium per 1 mg ativan for a cross over and suffering from extreme chemical anxiety withdrawal, even laying on the floor turning and twisting just to get rid of the withdrawal feeling. I remember I was talking to you in a topic I opened, talking about how bad it was and what I should do. I want to thank you so much for supporting me back then! Thank God I got out of that psychiatric facility and got ahold of Dutch doctor Dr. Erik Paling well known for his flumazenil treatment for benzo tapering, who knew the Ashton manual and prescribed me the right equivalent dosage of approx. 10 mg valium per 1 mg of ativan. He also was hesitant to prescribe me the necessary equivalent and actually prescribed me 24 mg of valium, and I was on a dosage of 1 mg ativan in the morning, 10 mg of valium in the midday and 5 mg of valium in the evening, for which he prescribed 24 mg of valium as the equivalent. My original benzo dose was 3 mg of ativan per day. Luckily, after a huge setback throwing me back in acute withdrawal after I missed just one evening dose, I had enough valium laying around to updose temporarily to 28 mg of valium and taper from there. He also was rushing my cross over to valium, but I managed in time to do the cross over smoothly from the ativan to valium, thank God. In the period between leaving the psychiatric facility and getting Dr. Paling to treat me, I got into some non-benzo related trouble with a place to live. I also had to resort to ordering 10 mg valium pills online. The new temporarily psychiatrist I was assigned in that interim also did not want to prescribe me any more valium than I was prescribed, even after I confessed I was ordering valium and taking more than prescribed, according to the Ashton manual. It was scandalous and that psychiatrist told me to just take 1 mg of ativan in the morning, 5 mg of valium in the midday and 2 mg of valium in the evening. She judged me for ordering and taking more valium than prescribed. I also learned from a woman that I met during my admittance to the psych ward that this psychiatrist was involved in sending patients to a detox clinic in Thailand for other drugs where the treatment was really bad of patients and even having sexual offenders sexually abuse patients there, including the woman I met. She raised a crowd funder to make dues for the money she had to pay for the detox clinic. Just scandalous. The organisation that these psychiatrists work for is called GGNet, here in the Netherlands. Dr. Paling does not work for them. Also, I applied for flumazenil treatment by Dr. Paling but was denied treatment due to history of psychosis. The hospital that did these flumazenil treatments instead offered a regular taper therapy in the hospital. Little did I know that this treatment consisted of a rapid taper in 6 weeks, from 24 mg of valium. The doctor that treated me there even stated that the Ashton manual stated that a valium dosage reduction of 25% per 2 weeks was possible. Just scandalous! Glad I got out of there too. Later on, as I was suffering severe chemical anxiety withdrawal again because of that missed dose, Dr. Paling mentioned that the risperdal that I was on had something to do with it but never specified what. Later, through a lot of hassle, I managed to get a lower risperdal dosage prescription, and lo and behold, the chemical anxiety withdrawal symptom faded away and almost completely disappeared, and became so less intense it wasn't bothersome at all to the point I didn't even notice it.

All in all it has been a rough ride, and what was the worst was the lack of support and understanding and education of these psychiatrists on the subject, along with the severe chemical anxiety withdrawal I endured due to these drugs from hell.

I wanna thank everyone here on Benzo Buddies for their support and I will remain active here and post a topic in the benzo Milestones board.

Way to go Nikitis!!

So happy for you!!

Winnie

Thank you!!!

[45...]

Hello Valium Friends,

Just a quick question, I am due for a reduction today or tomorrow. I dose my Valium 3x a day but could probably get it down to once! Not totally sure though. I take 1.5 mg at 10am, 2.25 mg at 4 pm and 10mg at 10pm. I think 0.5 reductions work best for me as this is my second taper and I know from last time I had to go slowly. Which dose should I reduce from? Thank you!!

Hello Valium Friends,

Just a quick question, I am due for a reduction today or tomorrow. I dose my Valium 3x a day but could probably get it down to once! Not totally sure though. I take 1.5 mg at 10am, 2.25 mg at 4 pm and 10mg at 10pm. I think 0.5 reductions work best for me as this is my second taper and I know from last time I had to go slowly. Which dose should I reduce from? Thank you!!

Do you need to keep the nighttime dose heavy for sleep, or are mornings rough for anxiety, which dose can you best afford to lower at the moment?

Hello Valium Friends,

Hi BTM,  Pamster had some good questions that cud make your decision for you.

Also I can tell you what I did. I was dosing 3 times a day but had equivalent doses on each.  I was cutting by .25mg increments so I started with the daytime doses down to .5 each then got the night dose down to .5. Next I worked to eliminate the midday dose and the same for the morning dose. So now I’m at .5 at night. I sort of followed Ashtons approach by keeping my night dose last so I would minimize impact to sleep. You may want to knock down that night dose close to the others especially if your feeling sedated when you first wake up. Then maybe go after the daytime doses. It’s really a personal choice but I did mine that way to keep things even and also I noticed that my daytime doses were making me feel crappy. I felt a lot better during the day eliminating those doses. It cud have been a mental thing too not having to take it anymore

Anyway hope this helps, here to support whichever way you decide

Joeb

[45...]
Thank you both Pam and Joeb - I am sleeping ok but that might due to the giant dose  :sick: I feel like I could get rid of the daytime doses, so I might focus on those two. Because my 4pm is larger I think I will take from there, my gut is telling me to do that one. I can always take from Peter to pay Paul with the big nighttime dose should things get funky!

Hi

It looks like your on Ativan from your summary did you switch to Valium ?

What question do you have maybe I can help

Joeb

Hi

It looks like your on Ativan from your summary did you switch to Valium ?

What question do you have maybe I can help

Joeb

Oh yea sorry I didn't update signature but yes i've switched and have been on pharma liquid for a week now.

Hi

Can you update your forum summary with details on your doses, amounts, and any other related info so we can better help you and also what specific questions do you have on DLMT?

I am dry cutting but can answer some questions and there are many other members who can help you if you provide more information

Joeb

Hey strong - I am doing daily liquid micro taper now. I looked back at “builder” ‘s profile

He did a 0.01mg per day drop from I think about 6mg down.

I’m at 2.16 going 0.01mg per day. Seems tolerable for now.

I found builder in the early pages of this post.