Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

I everyone. Just wanted to let you know that I jumped at .1. Doing good except for a little gut pain. Don't know if it's WD or the stress of taking care of my terminally ill Mom

Congrats Jwl on being benzo free!  Glad to hear that you are doing well overall.  Sorry to hear about your mom!

Congratulations!!  I hope your symptoms stay mild  :D

I really am sorry about your mom.  :(.  Mary  :smitten: :smitten:

Hi everyone

I’m on 4mg of zolpidem (ambien). Having been fine on that dose for a year, I suddenly started experiencing the most exteme withdrawal symptoms, even though I haven’t changed the dose at all, and I’m not sleeping at all. I guess I must have reached tolerance?

My doctor is suggesting crossing me over to valium and I was wondering if you guys think this would be a good idea? My worry is that if I’m tolerant to the zolpidem then I’ll also be tolerant to the equivalent dose of valium? So I’ll be no better off and still experience insomnia, anxiety etc?

I’d love any advice you guys might have. I’m so desperate as haven’t slept for a month

Thank you

Hi Kat,

So sorry to hear this.  However, you have a really amazing doctor to know that Ambien is a "baby benzo".  Most have no clue.  So I do know of others who have experienced what you have and then others who were able to drop the zzz drug much easier than a benzo.  I wonder if you could reach out to another member, Lilgma, directly so she can share her experience as it started in tolerance to Lunesta.  I also believe that Benzo Brains (Jocelyn Pederson) may have went into tolerance to a zzz drug first.  May be worth checking out. 

Thanks so much for your help. I’ve sent lilgma a message, but I couldn’t find benzo brains in the member search?

The zolpidem wasn’t too bad to taper before I reached tolerance. But now I’m in a constant state of panic/terror all day for no reason, and totally unable to sleep for a month. I’m worried that the valium will feel even worse Han this though?...

K-

Benzo brains is a YouTube channel

Not sure if Jocelyn has a way of contacting her directly

Try googling xx

So I’m considering crossing over from zolpidem to Valium, and then tapering off that. The reason is that I have just reached tolerance with the zolpidem and am I’m a state of constant withdrawal, even though I haven’t cut my dose. But my worry is that if I cross over to Valium I’ll just be in tolerance withdrawal on that... Is tolerance withdrawal a thing that can happen on valium, or is that more a problem with the drugs with the shorter half-lives? Has anyone on here reached tolerance with Valium?

Thanks guys

I’ve had a really difficult and complicated journey, filled with so many mistakes that increased my tolerance.  I’m kindling really bad.

I’m doing Ashton Method.

For simplicity I’ll say I’ve gotten from 1.5mg Ativan to .22mg Ativan + 13.5mg diazepam. Just that crossover has taken me about 6 months.

This last drop from .25 A to .22 A (over 9 day micro taper) has hit me harder than any of the other drops even twice that size.

I have had everything from severe back/neck muscle pain, depression, anxiety, headaches, nausea, dpdr and flu like symptoms over the past 4 days.

It’s really hard to imagine how i’m going to get through this last .22mg of  ativan.

Any encouraging anecdotes or information would be greatly appreciated. 

Does everyone think it is ok to take ibuprofen or Excedrin during taper? Or has taking either of these two caused worsened s/x? I need something for a nagging headache, but have been afraid to try anything.

Thanks and best to all.

Jo 

Hi Jojodancer

Because of ongoing severe pain I took Ibuprofen for a short while in November of 2019. Just once or twice per week. ( I 've had stomach issues in the past). It did ease the back and muscle pain. But I started to get more stomach issues after a week or two. So stopped taking them. No extra tapering problems I believe. So when your stomach is ok, you could give them a try.

Good luck!

Trochsetter

Drugfree,

I'm really sorry to hear of your difficulty crossing.  My crossover was difficult but I only did it in 5 weeks. 

Jojo,

I don't take ibuprofen because of fear of it making my ears work.  Apparently, NSAIDS are not good for people with tinnitus.  So I just stick to Tylenol.  I had to take it twice in a row this week because of headaches due to weather.  If you don't have tinnitus, I wouldn't think there would be any issues with ibuprofen here and there.

Drugfree,

I'm really sorry to hear of your difficulty crossing.  My crossover was difficult but I only did it in 5 weeks. 

Jojo,

I don't take ibuprofen because of fear of it making my ears work.  Apparently, NSAIDS are not good for people with tinnitus.  So I just stick to Tylenol.  I had to take it twice in a row this week because of headaches due to weather.  If you don't have tinnitus, I wouldn't think there would be any issues with ibuprofen here and there.

Thanks Momof7

I do have very bad tinnitus and stomach issues like Trochsetter, so I guess I'll give Tylenol a try. God knows I don't want to take Ibuprofen if it is going to make anything worse.

Thanks to both of you for the info.

Drugfree,

Jojo,

Momof7 I remember you had really bad sxs and you've managed to get so low. I can't cut because I get this impending doom with self harm thoughts. I don't think I'll ever act on them but I know I have to be careful because the depression is undescribable. I will probably cut another 0.10 in september and see if I ever manage to come off. What sxs do you have on your way down?

jojo, I just noticed your post.

I, too,  have tinnitus (a gift of benzos/benzo w/d) and stomach issues also. Sad how common they are after benzo use and tapering. Anyhow, ibuprofen ramps up my tinnitus. So I take Tylenol for headaches.

Hope this helps.

:smitten:

Katz

jojo, I just noticed your post.

I, too,  have tinnitus (a gift of benzos/benzo w/d) and stomach issues also. Sad how common they are after benzo use and tapering. Anyhow, ibuprofen ramps up my tinnitus. So I take Tylenol for headaches.

Hope this helps.

:smitten:

Katz

Thanks Katz

I am going to try the Tylenol today. I started slowly tapering again the past 4 weeks with a couple of holds when sx rev up. The past 4 days have been tough so I didn't want to take something that would make things worse.

Best to you and hope all is well.

Jo

[3c...]

Hi All:

I had to get a new prescription from my family dr., as the addiction dr messed up and didn't give me enough pills until my next apt and then the day I was to run out, was a holiday here.

I also had to go to a different pharmacy, long story, so the new pharmacy gave me AA- Diazepam, whereas the old pharmacy has APO-Diazepam.

When I first took the AA-Diazepam (only take 1mg), I felt better, it took away the rubber band headaches, but then I felt weird in my head. I can't explain it, kind of overly sedated. Now this morning after a second night of taking this AA-Diazepam, I got up very late, and sat outside, whenever I get up I feel overly dizzy, like my balance is very off. I've had balance issues from the first time I took benzo and even the Trazodone, this was different, this was so severe, I couldn't walk on my own at all.

I'm now back up in bed and have got a script for the old APO, which I guess I'll go back to and all my pain will come back or do I stick with this weird AA-Diazepam with these other weird side effects.

Anyone else have issue with both of these manufacturers of the Diazepam?

Of course when we call the pharmacist, they tell me they're all the same.

What's the best type of Diazepam, I've read it's the Roche brand, is that available in Canada?

Thanks, I feel pretty scared about all this.

Winnie

Hi All:

I had to get a new prescription from my family dr., as the addiction dr messed up and didn't give me enough pills until my next apt and then the day I was to run out, was a holiday here.

I also had to go to a different pharmacy, long story, so the new pharmacy gave me AA- Diazepam, whereas the old pharmacy has APO-Diazepam.

When I first took the AA-Diazepam (only take 1mg), I felt better, it took away the rubber band headaches, but then I felt weird in my head. I can't explain it, kind of overly sedated. Now this morning after a second night of taking this AA-Diazepam, I got up very late, and sat outside, whenever I get up I feel overly dizzy, like my balance is very off. I've had balance issues from the first time I took benzo and even the Trazodone, this was different, this was so severe, I couldn't walk on my own at all.

I'm now back up in bed and have got a script for the old APO, which I guess I'll go back to and all my pain will come back or do I stick with this weird AA-Diazepam with these other weird side effects.

Anyone else have issue with both of these manufacturers of the Diazepam?

Of course when we call the pharmacist, they tell me they're all the same.

What's the best type of Diazepam, I've read it's the Roche brand, is that available in Canada?

Thanks, I feel pretty scared about all this.

Winnie

I changed brands a few months ago and it felt as if I'd made a cut (I'm very kindled anyway, I'm protracted without even being off the medication). It wasn't terrible and it evened out after a while and like I say, maybe just me because I'm very sensitized.

Hi everyone

Just coming on here again to ask if anyone else here has crossed over from a z drug to Valium? My doctor is advising that I do that, but people in the z drug support group think not...

Thanks

Katie

Has anyone experienced a very low resting heart rate while tapering?

I am an out of shape 56 year old male weighing 255lbs with little to zero exercise the past year due to taper. I have noticed this past month that my resting heart rate just while sitting in a recliner stays in the low 50's. When I get up and walk around or up a flight of steps it will get up into the 80's, but as soon as I sit back down it drops back into the 50's. My fatigue and stamina has also gotten worse during this time. Even when my anxiety feels high, my heart rate seems low when you would think it would go up do to the anxiety. It was just about 3 months ago that my BP and heart rate seemed to always be elevated.  Could this just be another WD s/x. Curious if anyone else has experienced this during their taper??

Thanks to all and enjoy the weekend,

Jo :smitten:

Hey Jojo. Yep mine in low 50s sometimes gets down to 45. I was very fit before all this but not anymore. So I can’t say it’s due to being fit. X

Yes, I had it too.

Nowadays it's slowly returning to a more normal rate.

There's different side effects to the heart rate: in some people it goes up, in others down. Some have an irregular heartbeat.

It's said to return to normal in the long run.

Trochsetter