Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

I have a question Valium folks!

I dose 4X a day, which I hear is pretty unusual to start with, but I sure can tell the time by my dosage schedule. :D  So for now that's what I need  to do.

( Weirdly my Xanax dose lasts me 12 hours....... 10pm-10am)

Yesterday I tried to extend the time between doses -- I'm holding atm -- in preparation for starting to taper some Valium.

(I know that is unusual too.  Have been told to get off the Xanax completely and then the Valium.  But I really dislike how Valium makes me feel)

I tried to go 4 hours between doses instead of the three hours I have been doing, and by the evening was in pretty bad shape.  It's all kind of counterintuitive as Valium has such a long-half life ( but as I have read in a number of publications, a short duration of action)  and I'm not supposed to be feeling any changes that quickly, let alone not tapering that day...

In short I changed the dosing schedule, did not taper at all and I've upped my symptoms dramatically!

any explanation as to what might be going on with this body?

How do you change your dosing schedule if you do?  any input on this dilemma?

Does my body simply respond to Xanax better?

I envy those who get to dose 1X a day and wonder how you do that?!?!

Thanks in advance.

For today I'm going back to my old schedule....

I'm going to try this post on the LHSG as well

:smitten: :smitten:

SS

I have had a similar experience.  I used to dose 1 mg. of Valium four times a day.  I took one-quarter no-doz tablet (one-quarter is only 25 mg. of caffeine) each time, because I too don't like how Valium, by itself, makes me feel.  I have heard that spreading out the dose will make a difference in how fast the liver metabolizes the drug.  So maybe that is what happened to you yesterday.

I will also take my whole amount of Valium first thing in the morning when I get lower on my Valium reduction.  Cortisol rises in the morning, making me more anxious then.  Right now, I am taking Valium in three doses, still bunched up fairly early in the day.

I recommend the daily micro-tapering.  I can reduce without feeling anything except a little more energy.  So far, that is.

I have had a similar experience.  I used to dose 1 mg. of Valium four times a day.  I took one-quarter no-doz tablet (one-quarter is only 25 mg. of caffeine) each time, because I too don't like how Valium, by itself, makes me feel.  I have heard that spreading out the dose will make a difference in how fast the liver metabolizes the drug.  So maybe that is what happened to you yesterday.

I will also take my whole amount of Valium first thing in the morning when I get lower on my Valium reduction.  Cortisol rises in the morning, making me more anxious then.  Right now, I am taking Valium in three doses, still bunched up fairly early in the day.

I recommend the daily micro-tapering.  I can reduce without feeling anything except a little more energy.  So far, that is.

Thanks Juliana,

Good to know good to know there are others dosing as frequently as me...

I have been daily micro-tapering the Xanax, which has been pretty good.  I now want to come down off some of this Valium as I don't like this med..

Think I'll continue to hold for the rest of the month, as I had planned and then start a micro taper of Valium. 

I do get cortisol rushes in the morning, but they don't bother me, and weirdly anxiety isn't one of my sxs.....

I only took Xanax at night for sleep...

SS

While Valium has a long half life, to me at least, its duration of action is 4-6 hours. After 4.5 hours, it stops working for me. My K lasted forever.

I went to the doctor to day concerning my terrible insomnia. He prescribed tamarind or mirtizipine.. On these boards some people say it's a life saver and others say it's the devil. why is that? is it safe to take will I become dependent on that also?

Remeron can be a life saver for many here. It didn't work for me but that was before benzos and I was in bad shape. I just dropped it. Tapering is advised I think.

While Valium has a long half life, to me at least, its duration of action is 4-6 hours. After 4.5 hours, it stops working for me. My K lasted forever.

Interesting about the K.....

Ya I find the Valium is effective for about 4 hours tops...

Thanks!

I went to the doctor to day concerning my terrible insomnia. He prescribed tamarind or mirtizipine.. On these boards some people say it's a life saver and others say it's the devil. why is that? is it safe to take will I become dependent on that also?

I He prescribed tamarind or mirtizipine.. On these boards some people say it's a life saver and others say it's the devil. why is that?

Because this is BB.  If you want to find a horror story about any med, you can find it here.

It was literally a life saver for me.  After 3 years at 30mg/day, I did a 2 week taper and stopped.  No WD sxs.

Builder they prescribed 7.5.  Will that help? Is 30mg considered a high dose?

7.5 should give great relief for sleep problems.

The sedative effect of mirtazapine is actually a side effect.  Mirt is of course an AD.  At therapeutic doses (15-45mg) it boosts serotonin and has an "upper" effect.  But at low dose (7.5 or less) the serotonin effect doesn't kick in, and  it acts like a strong antihistamine.

Ive been through a rough  9 days and upped the trazadone from 60 to 100. Am i stuck now with that increase?

No, you shouldn't be.  It's really an "off label" use of trazodone at that dosage and it's unlikely that you've developed any "dependence" on it in 9 days...

You could taper that in a week or just stop.

SS

Hi Everyone;

I haven't been here in a while. I am freaking out and was wondering if anyone could help. My main s/x since taper has been sore hands and feet. I had blood work done in 2016 which was fine. Last week I had another panel run and my ANA was very high. I am now terrified that I do in fact have an auto immune disease. Dose anyone have any experience with this? I know that the drugs can lead to false positives but.....

Thanks for listening,

Blue

[e0...]
Does anyone have an idea how long it takes to stabilize on valium? I crashed at 4mg after a rapid taper, updosed to 10mg for a little while, then wound up getting updosed to 40mg for five days, 35 for 4 days, got to 30mg then tapered 1mg every week until I got to 20mg. I've been at 20mg for 3 weeks and I feel terrible. I'm not sure if I should keep holding and see if things get better or just start tapering slower. I'm so lost. Thanks everyone.

Does anyone have an idea how long it takes to stabilize on valium? I crashed at 4mg after a rapid taper, updosed to 10mg for a little while, then wound up getting updosed to 40mg for five days, 35 for 4 days, got to 30mg then tapered 1mg every week until I got to 20mg. I've been at 20mg for 3 weeks and I feel terrible. I'm not sure if I should keep holding and see if things get better or just start tapering slower. I'm so lost. Thanks everyone.

I never have stabilized on a benzo.  I held at 5 mg valium for 4 months this summer and never did stabilize, so I started cutting again.  The symptoms change around as I go down....the terror and akathisia are a bit better as I've gotten lower, but the depression kicked back in again in a strong way.  So, I guess symptoms just come and go without a net change.  I'm cutting daily and am at 1.31 mg and plan to keep going despite the depression and anxiety.  If it gets unbearable, I'm not sure what I'll do.  All I know is that holding didn't help.

hate to even have to ask this but here I am

1st Bluepill...be checked for Lyme disease along with co infections...

I battled a long time before I found a Lyme literate Medical doctor who drew blood and alas...and answer...ALL IS NOT BENZO w/d

2nd I was down to 1 mgs valium (from 15) and my sleep and anxiety was making me so much sicker (my worst symptom is SEVERE dizziness and brain spaced out)  so approx. two weeks ago I switched to clonazepam .25mgs BID  (= 10 mgs valium)

it has given me some better sleep and brought my anxiety WAYYYYY down but I am of course worried of changing benzo and getting stuck

is it to late for me to go back to valium just at the amount (10mgs) ???

I am in treatment for the lyme and co infections and that in it self is BRUTAL

thanks for any feedback

Hi Lainey,

If 1mg Clonazepam = 20mg Valium, then .25mg C = 5mg V

Right?

I think switching back would be the best bet bc Valium seems to be the best choice for tapering but it's hard to say since you are getting so much relief from the C. I do hear that is harder to taper from.

I tapered 15mg V to zero in a few weeks (forced) and lasted 4 weeks and reinstated at 12mg. That was 18 months ago and I've not stabilised in that time so cutting starts today.

Staz

I tapered 15mg V to zero in a few weeks (forced) and lasted 4 weeks and reinstated at 12mg. That was 18 months ago and I've not stabilised in that time so cutting starts today.

Staz

Damn thats rough staz. I think if you reinstated to 15mg or a touch higher it might have worked but who knows.

Staz

Damn thats rough staz. I think if you reinstated to 15mg or a touch higher it might have worked but who knows.

Shamo, Old Boy! How have you been? How's recovering going for you?

Best,

Ed

Staz

Shamo, Old Boy! How have you been? How's recovering going for you?

Best,

Ed

Ed,

I've not recovered at all or ever really stabilised so I'm tapering regardless. I wasted 18 months getting off of other drugs but I should have started to taper the V first. It's been a living hell.

Staz