Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Does unisom cause insomnia when you stop?

No, it won't cause insomnia, but if you are troubled by insomnia and stop taking it, then your insomnia will probably still be there.

How many days is it safe to use?

There really is no significant risk to taking it (you won't form a dependency), but you will very probably become tolerant, and it will no longer relieve your insomnia.

I have been having hormonal issues and have held for 3 months at 5 mg. Been taking the 5mg tablet. Ran out of those and last night started 2 2mg and 1/2 of 2mg. My sleep was broken up. Is there anyway the body would process the different pills differently even though the dosage is the same?

I have been having hormonal issues and have held for 3 months at 5 mg. Been taking the 5mg tablet. Ran out of those and last night started 2 2mg and 1/2 of 2mg. My sleep was broken up. Is there anyway the body would process the different pills differently even though the dosage is the same?

Hi Magnolis.  I can’t see that there would be any difference as the dose is the same. The drug should be distributed relatively even and the long half life of valium should be enough to last into the next day.  :)—V

I've C/O to valium in Sept and it worked very well. I've been tapering form 5mg and now down to 3 mg .

I'm using a liquid titration ( mix phar liquid V with milk) and reducing 10% every 14 days. I had to mix with milk cause the taste or something was making me nauseated.

Question: When I take my dose in the morning instead of feeling relaxed I get shaky, feel stimulated, get agitated, have a slight uneven breathing, feel like bugs crawling on my skin, then it goes away after about 1 hr.

I take my second dose about 1 pm then almost the same thing happens again but then get ringing in the ears, heart rate goes up, BP goes up then after about one hour things seem to calm back down.

I didn't feel any of this when I first started taking V, so is this normal? Is scares me sometimes. Yesterday afternoon 1.5 hrs after taking my afternoon dose I got a bad headache, my vision got blurry and started feeling dizzy. I checked my BP  and it was elevated again but finally came down.  I was fine the rest of the afternoon and went I went to bed at 10.

Just getting a little freaked out on this V and not sure if I need to hold or just keep tapering.

I've C/O to valium in Sept and it worked very well. I've been tapering form 5mg and now down to 3 mg .

I'm using a liquid titration ( mix phar liquid V with milk) and reducing 10% every 14 days. I had to mix with milk cause the taste or something was making me nauseated.

Question: When I take my dose in the morning instead of feeling relaxed I get shaky, feel stimulated, get agitated, have a slight uneven breathing, feel like bugs crawling on my skin, then it goes away after about 1 hr.

I take my second dose about 1 pm then almost the same thing happens again but then get ringing in the ears, heart rate goes up, BP goes up then after about one hour things seem to calm back down.

I didn't feel any of this when I first started taking V, so is this normal? Is scares me sometimes. Yesterday afternoon 1.5 hrs after taking my afternoon dose I got a bad headache, my vision got blurry and started feeling dizzy. I checked my BP  and it was elevated again but finally came down.  I was fine the rest of the afternoon and went I went to bed at 10.

Just getting a little freaked out on this V and not sure if I need to hold or just keep tapering.

If the symptoms are only lasting an hour, it may just be side effects as opposed to withdrawal. Hold if you feel you need to though.  :)—V

A question for you experienced V people.

Since starting V I've suffered depression after a partially successful reinstatement. After the reinstatement I was ok for about a month before the depression returned and it's stayed with me ever since. I've not varried dosages or times taken during the day. I'm about to start a combined liquid and pill based microtaper aiming to drop gradually 10% per month and holding when necessary.

My question is should I expect any relief from my symptoms as I reduce my V intake or am I likely to suffer the depression all the way down to zero and beyond. A couple of people I know seem to have felt better when they've cut and stabilised but wondered if it's just an individual thing with no hard and fast rules?

Thanks

Staz

Since starting V I've suffered depression after a partially successful reinstatement. After the reinstatement I was ok for about a month before the depression returned and it's stayed with me ever since. I've not varried dosages or times taken during the day. I'm about to start a combined liquid and pill based microtaper aiming to drop gradually 10% per month and holding when necessary.

My question is should I expect any relief from my symptoms as I reduce my V intake or am I likely to suffer the depression all the way down to zero and beyond. A couple of people I know seem to have felt better when they've cut and stabilised but wondered if it's just an individual thing with no hard and fast rules?

Thanks

Staz

Benzos are depressant drugs.  They cause depression.

Its normal that an updose would increase depression, and it's likely that lowering your dose will lessen it.

My depression very noticeably began to lift  soon after I started my  taper.

Thanks

Staz

Benzos are depressant drugs.  They cause depression.

Its normal that an updose would increase depression, and it's likely that lowering your dose will lessen it.

My depression very noticeably began to lift  soon after I started my  taper.

Hi Builder.

Thanks for the feedback and I hope the same thing happens for me.

I'm going to take things steady to start with probably at 5%gradually for the first month to see how it goes. I just hope my reinstatement doesn't cause any complications but I'm really motivated to start now and get things moving. The plan is to start mid Feb. I currently take 4mg 3 times a day so it would be more convenient to take it as one evening dose but as I'm used to the current schedule I'll guess I'll stick with that.

Which dose would it be best to taper from in your opinion?

Cheers

Staz

It won't matter which dose you taper from.  Actually, 4X day dosing with diazepam is overkill.  The most common dosing recommendation is 2X, and many folks do fine on 1X.

For most of the time I was on diazepam I dosed 2X.  And I always took uneven doses, with the biggest dose before bed, and just a small dose in the morning.  Once I got down to 3mg, I switched to 1X/day.

It won't matter which dose you taper from.  Actually, 4X day dosing with diazepam is overkill.  The most common dosing recommendation is 2X, and many folks do fine on 1X.

For most of the time I was on diazepam I dosed 2X.  And I always took uneven doses, with the biggest dose before bed, and just a small dose in the morning.  Once I got down to 3mg, I switched to 1X/day.

I may go down to 2 x a day Builder as it's easier to manage taper wise if using liquid titration for part of the reduction like I will. It's a hassle carrying tablets around and would be even worse carrying liquid around for a mid day dose. Twice a day makes good sense for logistical reasons alone.

Cheers

Staz

One other question I have is will a slow microtaper help avoid or minimise insomnia?

Cheers

Staz

Probably not.

I'll probably keep the mirtazapine and dosulepin going then as they may help the insomnia a bit. I was hoping a slow taper might help mitigate the insomnia.

Cheers

Staz

Hi, I was active on this site a while back.    My Doc is getting ready to cross me over to Valium and I’m hoping to get some input.

Quite often Xanax makes me feel depressed, it hits so hard, that I’m wondering if a cross-over would be safe.

-Does Valium negatively affect your mood?  Will it worsen your mood?

-Does it work effectively for anxiety?

-Does the sedated effect last all day, ore wear off after a few hours?

-Any opinions from folks who’ve crossed over....good idea?  Bad idea?

thanks

I crossed over from Xanax to Valium and it totally worked for me. I'm now nearly a year off from tapering Valium and I feel a lot better. See my answers to your questions below.

Hi, I was active on this site a while back.    My Doc is getting ready to cross me over to Valium and I’m hoping to get some input.

Quite often Xanax makes me feel depressed, it hits so hard, that I’m wondering if a cross-over would be safe.

-Does Valium negatively affect your mood?  Will it worsen your mood? It didn't worsen mine. Some people on this site said it made them really depressed but I didn't feel any more down than usual.

-Does it work effectively for anxiety? For me, yes! I was much less anxious on Valium than Xanax. In fact, I didn't even have much anxiety during my Valium taper, I had mainly physical symptoms.

-Does the sedated effect last all day, ore wear off after a few hours? The pharmacist told me the sedation effect wears off after eight hours and this was true for me. I Took the bulk of my dose at night. How sedated you feel depends on how much you take at once.  Note: It's typical to feel lots of fatigue the first two weeks of Valium until your body adjusts.

-Any opinions from folks who’ve crossed over....good idea?  Bad idea? Totally good idea based on my experience!

thanks

I crossed over from Xanax to Valium and it totally worked for me. I'm now nearly a year off from tapering Valium and I feel a lot better. See my answers to your questions below.

-Does Valium negatively affect your mood?  Will it worsen your mood? It didn't worsen mine. Some people on this site said it made them really depressed but I didn't feel any more down than usual.

-Does it work effectively for anxiety? For me, yes! I was much less anxious on Valium than Xanax. In fact, I didn't even have much anxiety during my Valium taper, I had mainly physical symptoms.

-Does the sedated effect last all day, ore wear off after a few hours? The pharmacist told me the sedation effect wears off after eight hours and this was true for me. I Took the bulk of my dose at night. How sedated you feel depends on how much you take at once.  Note: It's typical to feel lots of fatigue the first two weeks of Valium until your body adjusts.

-Any opinions from folks who’ve crossed over....good idea?  Bad idea? Totally good idea based on my experience!

thanks

**Why would Xanax depress me and why should I expect valium not to?

Hi All,

A general question but does anyone get extreme fear and / or anxiety as soon as they start to wake in the mornings. I'm trying to figure out is this a benzo thing or related to the two other psyche meds I take (Mirtazapine and Dosulepin). I've been on 12mgs V since May 16 along with other meds and it's gotten worse the longer I carry on with the meds. I've already eliminated Seroquel and Lyrica in the last 12 months so they are in the clear.

Thanks

Staz

Hi All,

A general question but does anyone get extreme fear and / or anxiety as soon as they start to wake in the mornings. I'm trying to figure out is this a benzo thing or related to the two other psyche meds I take (Mirtazapine and Dosulepin). I've been on 12mgs V since May 16 along with other meds and it's gotten worse the longer I carry on with the meds. I've already eliminated Seroquel and Lyrica in the last 12 months so they are in the clear.

Thanks

Staz

I got this several weeks after crossing over to valium.  It's horrible and has never left me since.  I don't get it every day but more often than not.  For me its extreme fear/dread/anxiety.  I wake several times and sometimes it happens each time.  I never had this before valium(diazepam for me).  I have no idea how to deal with this.  I was wanting to switch back to K but was already in the V so far and doc wouldn't switch me back.  If I could I would just jump out of bed as soon as I felt it coming but don't have the energy or will to do this.  Mirtazapine did not help me with this.  Are you taking the 2 A/Ds every day?

Good morning everyone,

I'm hoping to learn from you

I was prescribed 5mg Valium after developing Serotonin Syndrome in about 2015.  I had seizure.

When the 50 pills ran out I still felt freaked out and unwell and was able to procure 5mg pills from a friend.  I took these intermittently but consistently.

My psychiatrist prescribed me 2mg Valium (at the same time) to help with sleep and I was not completely honest with him about the intermittent doses of 5mgs from my friend.  I took these 2mgs religiously. 

So, dedicated 2mgs plus intermittent 5mgs sometimes, 10mg (rarely).  But on reflection these intermittant doses were still relatively consistent.  Didn't realise the potential of benzo's  back then, naive and seeking relief. 

In 2017 I moved house and became very depressed.  Local doctor gave me a sample pack of Cymbalta which sent me crazy, manic and burning up, terrible.  She switched me to Lexapro which did the same number on me, ie kicked my head in.  In all I was on both these a/d's for less than 2 weeks. 

During this time I reduced the intermittant doses of V and stuck with the 2mgs then jumped cold at the beginning of January '18 couldn't handle it and reinstated the 2mg after 2 weeks of hell.

I went to my doctor and told her I thought I was in Valium withdrawal and still feeling the effects of stopping the Cymbalta and Lexapro.  She said I was unstable.....I WAS!.....she wanted to prescribe another Benzo.  I said, NO, NO, NO, and haven't been back. 

So here I sit not knowing if what I am feeling is Benzo WD or the lingering effects of the a/d's  :crazy:  Its probably both.  I can tick a raft of the symptoms described here. 

I'm still sitting on the 2mg but do not feel stable after reinstating 3 weeks ago.  I feel worse after reinstating and would really appreciate some support and guidance in helping me get off this stuff as painlessly as possible. 

I don't want to updose but maybe I will need to.  IDK. 

I thank you all in advance as had I not found BB I would be quivering in a corner somewhere.  Reading here has helped me understand what is ACTUALLY happening. 

* I have PTSD. 

Dee  :smitten: