Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

Cal18: gabapentin like most drugs is rather toxic to ears. and getting off K is nearly a guarantee to give you more tinnitus.

you best bet is taper off, be off, and let time do the healing.

I almost wish I had never personally started the gabapentin, though it has helped with sleep with my only remaining dose of nightly Ativan (now at 1 and 4/6  1 mg tablets instead of my original dose ) and cut back 300 mgs of gabapentin to only 2 daily doses instead of three.  I imagine that I will not cut anymore gabapentin until I am almost done with my Ativan.

Please see my signature line for my Ativan use and current taper. Also now taking 600 mgs of gabapentin, 300 mgs twice daily. Have terrible tinnitus since Oct. 2016. Thinking about trying Buspar while tapering...I know it might not work for anxiety, but what do I have to lose? Has anyone tried it,and had tinnitus? Thanks

Pumpkin2005, I was taking Buspar when I tapered off Clonazepam the first time, and my tinnitus, along with other withdrawal symptoms, started after I jumped.  At the time I didn't know what was wrong with me and thought it might be the Buspar, so I stopped taking it as well.  I had only taken the Buspar for about a month altogether.  It didn't seem to help anything.

Please see my signature line for my Ativan use and current taper. Also now taking 600 mgs of gabapentin, 300 mgs twice daily. Have terrible tinnitus since Oct. 2016. Thinking about trying Buspar while tapering...I know it might not work for anxiety, but what do I have to lose? Has anyone tried it,and had tinnitus? Thanks

If my tinnitus was that bad I'd hold and probably drop all the (GP) gabapentine in a slow water taper.  GP is soluble in water so it is easy to cut 5 or 10 mg a day with an eye dropper. 

After a few months think about restarting the taper and use GP to ease W/D.  After being off the GB for 30 days it has some kick again.  BP is great stuff to use in-between cuts as a "TOOL" drug. 

I personally would not cut the Ativan until I was off the GP at least 15 to 30 days. 

The problem with tinnitus is that it can become a self-sustaining phenomenon in the auditory cortex so you have to be very careful to taper extra slow when tinnitus is the primary s/x problem.

If my tinnitus was that bad I'd hold and probably drop all the (GP) gabapentine in a slow water taper.  GP is soluble in water so it is easy to cut 5 or 10 mg a day with an eye dropper. 

After a few months think about restarting the taper and use GP to ease W/D.  After being off the GB for 30 days it has some kick again.  BP is great stuff to use in-between cuts as a "TOOL" drug. 

I personally would not cut the Ativan until I was off the GP at least 15 to 30 days. 

The problem with tinnitus is that it can become a self-sustaining phenomenon in the auditory cortex so you have to be very careful to taper extra slow when tinnitus is the primary s/x problem.

BP?  Is that short for the Buspar or is it something different? I wondered if it might help symptoms of tapering too for myself. So in your opinion maybe hold gabapentin until Ativan done or taper gabapentin then Ativan? I am just ready to be done, bit find I might only be able to do one a time?

• 2 weeks later...

I have had tinnitus for over 1.5 years.  I learned to live with it, but unfortunately it ramped up about a week or so ago and was REALLY bothering me.  Made me very anxious, couldn't sleep, feeling depressed, etc.  My doctor recommended something called NAC and it has helped me greatly.  Feel free to do your own research, but the sentiment on the internet is overwhelmingly positive about this stuff.  I hope it provides relief to someone on here as well.

https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/source-naturals-n-acetyl-cysteine-600-mg-30-tablets/sr-5054?mr:trackingCode=764A5D84-C9E0-E511-80ED-00505694403D&mr:referralID=NA&sourceType=sc&source=SHOP&acqsource=adlucent&utm_source=Shopping&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Source%20Naturals&utm_content=SR-5054&gclid=CMbk-pyyl9ICFY06gQodPtAA5A

I have had tinnitus for over 1.5 years.  I learned to live with it, but unfortunately it ramped up about a week or so ago and was REALLY bothering me.  Made me very anxious, couldn't sleep, feeling depressed, etc.  My doctor recommended something called NCA and it has helped me greatly.  Feel free to do your own research, but the sentiment on the internet is overwhelmingly positive about this stuff.  I hope it provides relief to someone on here as well.

https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/source-naturals-n-acetyl-cysteine-600-mg-30-tablets/sr-5054?mr:trackingCode=764A5D84-C9E0-E511-80ED-00505694403D&mr:referralID=NA&sourceType=sc&source=SHOP&acqsource=adlucent&utm_source=Shopping&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Source%20Naturals&utm_content=SR-5054&gclid=CMbk-pyyl9ICFY06gQodPtAA5A

I think you mean NAC not NCA.  It helps some people and some not.  If you are a user of Tylenol,  paracetamol, also known as acetaminophen be-careful.  NAC is a drug that should be regulated.  Using NAC has complications.

#1 NAC neutralizes acetaminophen so using NAC while you have a fever and using acetaminophen at the same time is counter productive.

#2. If you ever OD on acetaminophen and have been using NAC for many years the acetaminophen overdose could be fatal.

#3. Once you start the NAC treatment it's "for-life". On cessation of NAC treatment the tinnitus comes back with a vengeance.

Manipulating potassium channels is tricky business.

Some research paper's I've read say benzo's can potentiate the areas of the brain that regulate tinnitus over a year after quitting a benzo.  This explains why some people do not get tinnitus until the end of a taper or even months or years after jumping (Ashtons "LAST" s/x, tinnitus)

By the same process it takes some people a year of benzo use to get rid of the tinnitus again. The mid brain has very slow acting characteristics because it can become saturated with a chemical substance for just as long as fat cells can which is typically 300 to 400 days.

The cerebellum and the mid brain are very different which probably gives tinnitus this weird time lag as an unpredictable s/x.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/820200-treatment

https://www.google.com/search?q=acetaminophen+overdose+nac&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I have had tinnitus for over 1.5 years.  I learned to live with it, but unfortunately it ramped up about a week or so ago and was REALLY bothering me.  Made me very anxious, couldn't sleep, feeling depressed, etc.  My doctor recommended something called NCA and it has helped me greatly.  Feel free to do your own research, but the sentiment on the internet is overwhelmingly positive about this stuff.  I hope it provides relief to someone on here as well.

I think you mean NAC not NCA.  It helps some people and some not.  If you are a user of Tylenol,  paracetamol, also known as acetaminophen be-careful.  NAC is a drug that should be regulated.  Using NAC has complications.

#1 NAC neutralizes acetaminophen so using NAC while you have a fever and using acetaminophen at the same time is counter productive.

#2. If you ever OD on acetaminophen and have been using NAC for many years the acetaminophen overdose could be fatal.

#3. Once you start the NAC treatment it's "for-life". On cessation of NAC treatment the tinnitus comes back with a vengeance.

Some research paper's I've read say benzo's can potentiate the areas of the brain that regulate tinnitus over a year after quitting a benzo.  This explains why some people do not get tinnitus until the end of a taper or even months or years after jumping (Ashtons "LAST" s/x, tinnitus)

By the same process it takes some people a year of benzo use to get rid of the tinnitus again. The mid brain has very slow acting characteristics because it can become saturated with a chemical substance for just as long as fat cells can which is typically 300 to 400 days.

The cerebellum and the mid brain are very different which probably gives tinnitus this weird time lag as an unpredictable s/x.

OK...that is why I had never heard of it! Thank you Birdman. Sounds risky to me..riskier than benzos or any antidepressants. Don't think I want to risk any of that. At least right now I with the tinnitus and anxiety stand a chance. Nope, not for me. Now, I did have a question. BP was that abbreviated for Buspar or something else? You are always so helpful!

I certainly understood anyone's apprehension to try any sort of medication, supplement, vitamin, etc. after the hell that benzos have put us through.  But I would definitely say that NAC (sorry I called it NCA before) is a lot safer than trying an antidepressant.  There are no known contraindications with it (reference https://www.liverdoctor.com/n-acetyl-cysteine/).  Also, it has been proven safe at high doses for long term treatments for people with liver damage.  I'm not too worried about overdosing on Tylenol at the moment so that really isn't a risk either.  I haven't found anything about Tinnitus ramping up when it is discontinued, though I do admit that sounds frightening if true, I just haven't found any evidence of that.  If I continue to get relief from it and have to take it my whole life then there are worse things in life.

Well, I'm very sorry to say that NAC didn't help at all last night so it seems early benefit is wearing off

Do you think maybe it might be because of reading some of the negative effects of it stuck in your mind? I can personally tell you that once I do a lot of researching and stuff my anxiety grows, whether I realize it or not. My counselor thinks I get somatic side effects to the medications because I ask so many questions on here, research online and etc. Seems plausible to me, but out of fear, I just can't stop. My husband says the next med the doctor wants me to try he is changing the Internet password, LOL... But I don't think he is kidding either!

Yes, that is definitely possible.  Anxiety makes tinnitus worse for sure.  And when tinnitus is worse, it makes me feel sorry for myself and get really really anxious.  So it's like a vicious cycle for me, especially at night when all I want to do is sleep and have nothing to distract myself from the tinnitus and the anxiety.  I'm going to get through this, just not sure how right now.

Yes, that is definitely possible.  Anxiety makes tinnitus worse for sure.  And when tinnitus is worse, it makes me feel sorry for myself and get really really anxious.  So it's like a vicious cycle for me, especially at night when all I want to do is sleep and have nothing to distract myself from the tinnitus and the anxiety.  I'm going to get through this, just not sure how right now.

I get what you are saying. I know. I have never felt so helpless. I am determined. I think with the right doctor I might be able to get the help I need and with the right therapy.

OK...that is why I had never heard of it! Thank you Birdman. Sounds risky to me..riskier than benzos or any antidepressants. Don't think I want to risk any of that. At least right now I with the tinnitus and anxiety stand a chance. Nope, not for me. Now, I did have a question. BP was that abbreviated for Buspar or something else? You are always so helpful!

Hi,  these research papers are controversial and some what "PRO-benzo" so I do not what to produce them here.

If you google "tinntius,  inferior colliculi, superior colliculi, cerebral peduncle, putamen, globbus pallidus and thalamus you may find the same works. 

I certainly understood anyone's apprehension to try any sort of medication, supplement, vitamin, etc. after the hell that benzos have put us through.  But I would definitely say that NAC (sorry I called it NCA before) is a lot safer than trying an antidepressant.  There are no known contraindications with it (reference https://www.liverdoctor.com/n-acetyl-cysteine/).  Also, it has been proven safe at high doses for long term treatments for people with liver damage.  I'm not too worried about overdosing on Tylenol at the moment so that really isn't a risk either.  I haven't found anything about Tinnitus ramping up when it is discontinued, though I do admit that sounds frightening if true, I just haven't found any evidence of that.  If I continue to get relief from it and have to take it my whole life then there are worse things in life.

Amen to that!

Birdman, I see on your signature that your ears are healing.  How long did it take and what healing have you experienced? Hope you don't mind my asking, just is encouraging to hear of things getting better for someone.

Birdman, I see on your signature that your ears are healing.  How long did it take and what healing have you experienced? Hope you don't mind my asking, just is encouraging to hear of things getting better for someone.

Have you tried gabapentin?

My ears are screaming.  I have to believe this is a really extreme case of tinnitus.  Nothing is masking it for me at night.  Would love to hear suggestions please.  I would reinstate if it would make it go away.

Hi HFH, I'm sorry your t is spiking up so bad right now. All I can suggest is adding more sound to your environment so the brain has something else competing for its attention. Mine has been pretty bad for years (had it pre-benzos) and I sleep with a fan, a sound machine, a CD player with soothing music, and a self hypnosis recording through earbuds on my iPhone. All at once. Sounds ridiculous, but most of the time I fall asleep in 15 minutes and my tinnitus is quieter in the morning.

Hopeforhealing, I am sorry you are having such a difficult time with the tinnitus. You have come so far. I know the anxiety you ate feeling all to well.  Have you tried any other online tinnitus support groups for tinnitus? I have, but they are very pro-benzo. But some do have some great ideas. Have you considered yet (not sure if you mentioned it) going to an audiologist or entity? Maybe there might be something else other than withdrawal. It never has done me any good, mine refused to help, but others have had some good luck with masking devices and retraining.

I went to ENT.  They are useless, just told me I have excellent  hearing and to learn to live with it.  Nights are the worst.  I fall asleep from exhaustion, wake up in a panic because me ears are ringing so loud, pace around till I'm exhausted, fall back asleep, repeat.  Trying to mask it but I have to turn the white noise up so loud that then becomes too loud.

I hear you there. I think mine ramps up with anxiety. I honestly think my anxiety is interposed withdrawal since I am only taking my Ativan at night. As much as I hate to do this, I fear I may have to explore with my doctor up dosing for peace during the day to help me not go to bed so anxious. Anxiety wrecks my T. I have even been getting the fear of going places, which is stupid for me.