What is happening in your brain?

[pa...]

Yes it can be expensive.... but i don't take all the suppliment just the omega 3s, vitamin e, and cal meg when I need to.

This works for me :-)

[b8...]

Yes it can be expensive.... but i don't take all the suppliment just the omega 3s, vitamin e, and cal meg when I need to.

This works for me :-)

I am glad that is working for you.  :) Must do what is best for our beautiful selves

I sending you a hug

Dear Parker,

Thank you for including the Bible verse, Romans 8:24, in your signature...it gave me a much needed lift. And, yes, it definitely applies to our situations...patience.

In all humility, I thank you for all you do for this community.

David

klon1.3125

halcion.4375

Hi Parker,

Amazing post. I have done a lot of reading by author Claire Weeks. It fits so well with your great explanations.  Question for you. Do you think taking GABA supplements would help, and do you think alcohol hinders recovery, I am talking a beer or glass of wine daily, it seems to calm me down. I should mention I have never had a issue with alcohol.

I really appreciate your input.

Thanks

Long time

I just heard over the radio yesterday a new test they can do.. it is a DNA test to determine which medications are right for you.

Here is the website to visit on this.. this is soooo cool!!!

http://www.assurerxhealth.com/

Let me know if this is helpful, I hope it is!!!!!!!!

Have a blessed and unstressed day today!!!

C

Hi Patric, quick questions...

Was it difficult to come off the remeron?

Did you have any withdrawals from the remeron? If so what were they and how long did it last?

What was the highest dose of remeron you took?

Mine was 1/2 of remeron.. Right now I'm only at 1/3 of 15mg remeron....

How Long have you been off the remeron now?

Also, did you ever have times while you were coming off the benzo, (or while you were off and went on remeron) that you felt like you could stop breathing and it scared you?

Sometimes the whole breathing thing freaks me out b/c I can get to where I have either gasped for air or had some fear that my breathing wasn't normal...

But I have been strong through this..

Thank you, M

Hey M,

i know for sure the breathing issue is benzo withdrawal related--i am having a lot of that feeling like i can't take a satisfying breath and feeling like i can't take in a breath at all. like i'm not breathing. i looked it up on the benzosupport.org website and it's called Dyspnea.

pretty

Thanks pretty!  It can be sooo scary at times.... But since I went back on 3.75mg of remeron it's going away... I have about 1.5 months before I'm completely off the benzo... I'm at 1.5 mg of Valium right now.. Going very slow tapering now....

Thanks again!

So you guys talked about sleep (and remeron) so I decided to jump in... and to humbly ask the renowned Parker for her wisdom to offer me a logical explanation if possible  :)

Well, here's my current situation:

Right now I'm a little bit over 4 months clear of Klonopin (was on benzo's for around 4-5 months and mostly taken 0.25 to 0.5mg max) and what I can (safely) say is that most WD stuff is gone or kept at a minimum... I even started writing a success story but always hesitate to actually finish it because - my sleep is a total mess and not improving at all!

Honestly I don't know what I think...its so frustrating, the feeling like I'm almost there but not: so close yet so far.

So firstly I can say that, I guess just by looking at myself that yes, healing is possible despite lack of sleep... but my concern is that: is it possible to actually cause some damage to the ability to sleep? I know that questions like these are quite common and that Ashton states that "the need for sleep is so powerful that it comes back eventually...".

But I'm concerned: practically all my symptoms are gone...on the days I get some decent sleep I feel practically like my old self. Yet, when I look at my sleep pattern (the lack of it actually) throughout these 4+ months...there is almost no improvement!

I don't know, here are some of mine "probably idiotic" hypothesis  :): maybe because of my youth I'm able to handle insomnia more easily than others so I can still function at more or less ok level... or did my body somehow managed to adapt to no sleep and is somehow working? Did my body (mind) somehow reached a "point-of no return" and in order to get my sleep architecture back i need to jack up my system? Here's were remeron comes in... maybe it can be helpful but I dread the possibility of another med.

(Just to mention I don't take any supplements, and eat a healthy and mostly vegetarian diet, that's all)

I basically have no anxiety, no pain or any symptom that would impair my ability to sleep and still I actually almost never even feel tired or sleepy...last month I was managing an average of 3+2h of sleep per night and I thought it did improve a bit... was doing some exams, even got some nice internship opportunities, my brain was working top notch...but now yet again, last 4 nights practically zero sleep (no apparent reason or cause for it) and my body is shaking and weak, feeling cold and slow (none of this I have as soon as I get some more rest). All of this I'm quite certain is just an effect of the terrible lack of sleep and not the actually WD.

So hope you guys might offer me some advice or useful info... I'm very frustrated since I certain that I would be long healed if it wasn't like this. I'm still pondering about the use of remeron... but its a decision I will probably have to take by myself.

Just to finish my long rambling: I was never an insomniac before all of this started and the power of these crazy pills astounds me - to be using almost minimal dosages for less than half a year and to suffer so much is unbelievable!

So hope you guys are doing better than me and I sincerely hope we will all get there sooner than later.

C.

P.S. (I just remembered): I did try 1 tab of remeron back in May... but the idiotic doc just said "take a 30mg before bed"...which of course I did and it caused quite a reaction. So with that in mind, is really remeron a soultion to me? I know that dosage is very high, especially to take for the first time... but again, wont know unless I try again (and much less this time maybe)

Hi, you need sleep!!

i'd try these natural remedies for sleep first before remeron.

You can find these at your pharmacy:

Melatonin: (half of a 3mg pill to start) it's natural our body makes it to help us fall Adler.

Or

Valerian root: you can get it in teat form: sleepy time tea

Or

(Find at a health food store)

Triptophan (500mg): it's an amino acid and its time release (so it will hel you sleep longer)

Or

Kava

Let us know how these work for you!

God bless & may you get rest!

Hi Coral!

Oh I forgot to mention, I did try melatonin, valerian, magnesium and omega 3 before...none of them caused anything unfortunately (good or bad). Also 5-HTP I tried...but it was in august when I was amidst the hell of tolerance so have no idea how or if it had some effect.

Now L-trypthophan I am also considering, they sell it in pharmacies here in Milan (where I study)....but Kava I dont think they sell.

Thank you for a quick reply!

Hi C I would try the triptophane not just the 5 htp..

It's worth the shot!!

Also magnesium is good for calming the nerves to get relaxed.

Also my dr says if u find yourself not falling asleep within 30 minutes or so get out of bed and either watch something boring in tv or read a book that makes u sleepy..

Then once u find urself getting tired lay back down..

And repeat as needed.

The bed is for sleep only.

Let me know if this works for u!!

I used to take Alka-Seltzer Cold pills to sleep...plop, plop, fizz, fizz...but after benzo tolerance, WDs, and tapering...its like taking candy. Nothing works for me. But I pray you fare better.

Wow what an awesome post. I never thought of symptoms being a sign of healing. My next thought was wonder why doctors don't explain it that way! I think I have a good idea why. I am looking forward to reading and learning more. I am also encouraged that I just might be able to get off medication for good! Thanks so much.  :)

So you guys talked about sleep (and remeron) so I decided to jump in... and to humbly ask the renowned Parker for her wisdom to offer me a logical explanation if possible  :)

Well, here's my current situation:

Right now I'm a little bit over 4 months clear of Klonopin (was on benzo's for around 4-5 months and mostly taken 0.25 to 0.5mg max) and what I can (safely) say is that most WD stuff is gone or kept at a minimum... I even started writing a success story but always hesitate to actually finish it because - my sleep is a total mess and not improving at all!

Honestly I don't know what I think...its so frustrating, the feeling like I'm almost there but not: so close yet so far.

So firstly I can say that, I guess just by looking at myself that yes, healing is possible despite lack of sleep... but my concern is that: is it possible to actually cause some damage to the ability to sleep? I know that questions like these are quite common and that Ashton states that "the need for sleep is so powerful that it comes back eventually...".

But I'm concerned: practically all my symptoms are gone...on the days I get some decent sleep I feel practically like my old self. Yet, when I look at my sleep pattern (the lack of it actually) throughout these 4+ months...there is almost no improvement!

I don't know, here are some of mine "probably idiotic" hypothesis  :): maybe because of my youth I'm able to handle insomnia more easily than others so I can still function at more or less ok level... or did my body somehow managed to adapt to no sleep and is somehow working? Did my body (mind) somehow reached a "point-of no return" and in order to get my sleep architecture back i need to jack up my system? Here's were remeron comes in... maybe it can be helpful but I dread the possibility of another med.

(Just to mention I don't take any supplements, and eat a healthy and mostly vegetarian diet, that's all)

I basically have no anxiety, no pain or any symptom that would impair my ability to sleep and still I actually almost never even feel tired or sleepy...last month I was managing an average of 3+2h of sleep per night and I thought it did improve a bit... was doing some exams, even got some nice internship opportunities, my brain was working top notch...but now yet again, last 4 nights practically zero sleep (no apparent reason or cause for it) and my body is shaking and weak, feeling cold and slow (none of this I have as soon as I get some more rest). All of this I'm quite certain is just an effect of the terrible lack of sleep and not the actually WD.

So hope you guys might offer me some advice or useful info... I'm very frustrated since I certain that I would be long healed if it wasn't like this. I'm still pondering about the use of remeron... but its a decision I will probably have to take by myself.

Just to finish my long rambling: I was never an insomniac before all of this started and the power of these crazy pills astounds me - to be using almost minimal dosages for less than half a year and to suffer so much is unbelievable!

So hope you guys are doing better than me and I sincerely hope we will all get there sooner than later.

C.

P.S. (I just remembered): I did try 1 tab of remeron back in May... but the idiotic doc just said "take a 30mg before bed"...which of course I did and it caused quite a reaction. So with that in mind, is really remeron a soultion to me? I know that dosage is very high, especially to take for the first time... but again, wont know unless I try again (and much less this time maybe)

Well - I'm not a doctor - so I cannot "advise" you medically, obviously.  But I can tell you what I might try reading your account.

You sound like you're doing pretty well.  If that were my situation, I wouldn't add a medication.  You do get good sleep sometimes, and maybe not others, but you sound like you're healing pretty well.  I think from the reading, Ashton, etc, sleep improves over time - a good bit the first year off. 

Something that was helpful to me in general that helped my nervous system and helped before bed, was just to take Magnesium Glycinate.  If you have as few problems as you do - it may help at this point. Magnesium is an elemental mineral! But we have a hard time getting it from food.  Doctor's Best brand is the one I take.  Doctor's Best 100% Chelated Magnesium. The "glycinate" is fused dwith the magnesium so that over 90% of it is absorbed (compared to magnesium oxide in which less than 10% is absorbed.) This works really great for me.  I take 2 pills in the morning ususally- (half a daily dose) and 2 pills before bedtime. This makes 100% of the daily magnesium dose.  I often take 2 more right at bedtime - and it just relaxes the nervous system.  It doesn't "Make you sleep" but it relaxes the body to where it's possible.  This did NOT work for me in early withdrawal, but it DID help me later after a bit of healing. You sound like you may be much more healed than I was, so it may really help.  Best of all, this is a natural mineral we are supposed to be getting plenty of - it's not a medication. 

There are several vitamins I've found helpful, but for relaxation, this might be worth a try - many people that have insomnia (not related to benzos) have been helped by Magnesium Glycinate.  That's where I first got the idea before I tried it.  :thumbsup:

You sound like you're doing great.  It's just a matter of time before sleep will restore- it seems like mine really started to improve after the first year, but lots of folks are much sooner - MUCH sooner. :) 

:)Parker

So, once again...thank you Parker!

Seriously, I forgot how many times I have said that already  :laugh:  :laugh:

As for "not being a MD"...don't worry, your advice is still very much appreciated and even more so than ones coming from the "pros".

(Actually now when I think about it, since at the end of December I twisted my ankle while playing soccer and the doctor at the ER hasn't even bandaged it properly...so now my ankle and ligaments haven't even healed as they should...well, I reeeaaaallyyy don't wanna see another doc ever again).

So as for my troubles, I'm thinking the same...I definitely don't want any more meds so I'll have to persevere and hope for the best.

Also I will check the magnesium glycinate you mentioned... hopefully I can find it here in Italy or ship it somehow.

Thank you!!

C.

Parker how are YOU feeling?

What symptoms do you get now? if any?

Its such an encouragement to know that you have suffered the worst and are now on the road to full recovery.

I'm wondering if you are getting enough support.

Much love and warmth for you my dear.

JJ xx

Parker, can you explain exactly how/why magnesium glycinate might help ease symptoms? Thanks.

Nope. :) I can't explain anything exactly. :)  All I can do is theorize based on the facts I have read....

Coupla reason magnesium glycinate might help ease symptoms at a certain point.

1) Magnesium relaxes muscles.  It is also a glutamate antagonist (helps block glutamate). The extent of how much this helps is likely related to how much glutamate you have going and whether or not the magnesium can register perceptually as a help. I know for a fact that in acute withdrawal, magnesium did NOTHING for me. :)  It was only much later when a lot of glutamate had died down that I got any help from it.

2) Glycine.  The glycinate is chelated with the magnesium to help it absorb into the bloodstream. Glycine is very tiny, and when they chelate the magesium with it - it allows the magnesium to get into the blood - and so it's well-absorbed.  Glycine is ALSO a secondary inhibitory neurotransmitter - like GABA! They are doing research on glycine to see if they can make medications that help act on it. In particular, glycine can help with pain related to peripheral stuff - radiating from the spine and limbs.  That's just what I've read.

So you may be getting both the magnesium and glycine as helpers if you take magnesium glycinate.  I can tell a difference, but it won't remove a wave. It often helps with akathisia and sometimes pain.  It also helps me relax to sleep.  It's not a miracle worker, but I take it everyday.

Parker how are YOU feeling?

What symptoms do you get now? if any?

Its such an encouragement to know that you have suffered the worst and are now on the road to full recovery.

I'm wondering if you are getting enough support.

Much love and warmth for you my dear.

JJ xx

Thanks, JJ. This is really sweet of you to ask.

I still have many symptoms - just not as many and not to the intensity that I used to have them. I also have great periods and then waves, too. I often don't post and post about the waves, just becuase I'm kinda used to this now and I need less forum support because of the familiarity. But I USED to post for support quite a bit.  I do have a few friends that have been through this that I speak to offline and that helps, too.

Overall - I hate this, but I am having windows - so that makes it SOMEWHAT easier. I had an awesome window a few days ago - and now I"m in a wave from a simple cold virus.  I didn't expect it, and I don't like it, but I can't do anything but wait it out. And I find it tiresome to complain too much - especially on the forum - it's not my style. So that's just that!  If there is anything I have learned in this, it's that there WILL be another good day soon.  I don't know when, but that is the pattern. So I don't waste too much mental energy lamenting these days.  I might cry and watch TV and eat cupcakes, - I have learned not to push it - and that I can't change it - but it IS really awesome to wake up in a window. That's for sure.  :thumbsup:  So I just wait around for one of those.

Just last week, I was running 3 miles at a time - and here I am waving out in bed. LOL.  That's the nature of it. 

I'm glad you asked - just because it lets other people see that I'm not totally healed and that my patterns is good and bad, just like everyone else. :)

So yeah - I've waving and I have a nasty cold - and that has kicked my CNS to the curb. :) But hopefully I'll be out running again soon. 

I think that's the part of trying to accept it at this point that is helpful. I know there is nothing I can do - but I expect it will change in awhile - when it's ready.

Oh, Parker. I hate to gear that you are "waving". But I also

Appreciate your honesty. If I am reading you right your waves are not as intense as they Used to be.

It rather sounds like you've learned to roll with them.

I have to say that my mouth watered when you said "cupcakes". Oh!!  I would love to

Have a cupcake. However, I am having trouble with hyperglycemia since going into tolerance and wd. I have read a lot about BBs having hypoglycemia but not hyperglycemia. The doctor tested my hemoglobin A1c a month ago and it was 6.1, which is prediabetic. Would you have any idea why I might be having this problem and whether or not it will be permanent or resolve with recovery.

Thanks, Parker. Hope you're out and running again soon!! 

WFR

Parker,

I just adore this thread and really enjoy the way you think. Reminds me very much of the way I get by. Thanks.